mtbr member
    Jan 2004

lost and found: kenda klaw xt foldable

I found a brand new set of kenda klaw xt 2.1s when cleaning out the basement. These have been gone so long I forgot what conditions they are good for. Vermont is the land of roots, rocks and the mudhole, should I bother putting them on my bike? Any suggestions appreciated.

Harmonius Wrench
    Those were always thought of as severe conditions tires. Some said good for rocky, loose terrain, and some claimed they were okay with mud. As I recall, they weren't well thought of in terms of rolling resistance.

Give them a try. They were the most agressive tires out there in '03. Hard to believe that now.

mtbr member
    I've got a set of these in the garage as well. Still in their boxes!

Blanco
    Nov 2004
    They're excellent tires: big grippy knobs, clear mud very well, great traction on anything. The only problem is that they're small, with very little cush and air volume.

IMO If Kenda made a bigger version in an honest 2.3 they'd be selling very well.

trail rat
    Yes, smallish, think of them as MTB paddle tires. Mud bog fliers. This is an area of ag land that has cattle in it, used for access from town to the trails above.

I had been in 2 to 4" deep mud for about a mile at this point. Tires clear well.

At this point, the mud was about 6 to 8" deep and became unrideable as the grade increased. Mud on the stays, but still able to pedal it since the tires did not build up. It was uphill momentum that was lacking.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    I just came in from a ride on the Klaws. I have 1.95's and I run two fronts. I tried the rear with the big paddle but I felt it was to draggy. I ordered another front and things got much better, but I didn't have enough grip on the wet roots around here so I took a knife and squared up the center lugs on the rear; Bingo! great tires for when it's wet. Since you can't get anymore fronts, if I tear up the one I have for the rear, I'll take the knife to the rear I have and cut the sides off those paddles making them square. It will roll much better.

The 1.95's weigh in at 660g and work out great for me when it's wet. Last weekend I did a 6 hour race over root covered trails with 21 psi front and 23 rear tubeless and came out not too worse for wear.

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    Quote Originally Posted by El Caballo
    They're excellent tires: big grippy knobs, clear mud very well, great traction on anything. The only problem is that they're small, with very little cush and air volume.

IMO If Kenda made a bigger version in an honest 2.3 they'd be selling very well.

My thoughts exactly.

Plus, I disagree with most here over rolling resistance. No facts, just my opinon, they out roll the popular Rampage.

With a little more volume, I would run them 80% of my rides.

After an 8hr race.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lost and found: kenda klaw xt foldable-cool-mud.jpg  

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeney
    I just came in from a ride on the Klaws. I have 1.95's and I run two fronts. I tried the rear with the big paddle but I felt it was to draggy. I ordered another front and things got much better, but I didn't have enough grip on the wet roots around here so I took a knife and squared up the center lugs on the rear; Bingo! great tires for when it's wet.
    Did you run the front backwards on the rear before you cut it up?

mtbr member
    ''Did you run the front backwards on the rear before you cut it up?''

No, I ran it forward so that the big beautiful side knobs would be going in the right direction. Once I squared up the center knobs on the rear they worked great.

pictures:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lost and found: kenda klaw xt foldable-p1020341.jpg  

lost and found: kenda klaw xt foldable-p1020342.jpg