Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Looking for a XC Race Bike That Also Likes to Have Fun

Over the past two years, my riding style and racing preferences have changed such that I am looking for a new full suspension 29er to compliment my race hardtail.

My concern is getting another full suspension that leans too far on the riding spectrum. For example, I had a Spearfish for a year. It was great for smoother xc trails, but when things got rough, it opted out. The geometry was not suited to that. Shortly thereafter, I bought a Rumblefish. It made me lazy. I'd spin in the small ring going up and just bash through everything going down. It was fun when things got rough, but didnt like to climb.

Now this leaves me wondering if there is a bike that is capable of doing most things equally.

I have gathered that the Jet 9 RDO might be the bike I'm looking for, but considering costs, that is probably out of my reach.

Im in search of an alloy (maybe carbon) 29er frame that wants to be built up with I9s and XT stuff. It feels comfortable in lycra, but will sometimes put on the baggies and Camelbak.

Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Have you ever demo'd a SC Tallboy carbon? If the Rumblefish seemed like too much travel at 120mm, the TB with a 100mm fork might be a good fit.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Camber Comp has 110 mm of travel (10 mm more than most XC bikes). I had the Carbon model for a while. Here is my review. 2013 Specialized Camber Comp Carbon 29er Review - YouTube

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Jet9 alloy
    Anthem 29

You can get lightly used complete bikes for less than a clearance Jet9 carbon frame. Either way, do yourself a favor and stop buying single pivots.

mtbr member
    sounds to me like, you'd like a 100mm race bike, with a 120 fork.

Tallboy, Jet 9, Anthem ... Devinci Atlas is very intriguing atm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    SC Highball with 170mm crank arms. its an awesome bike

mtbr member
    Rocky Mountain Element ftw! The Element is a much better race platform than the Tallboy and just as good as a trail bike. Having sold my Tallboy to get the Element I know of which I speak and although my Tallboy was a excellent trail bike that I loved for that type of riding it left me a little wanting as a race bike. After demoing a Element I found it to be a platform that had all the things I liked about my Tallboy without the shortcomings.
    This may be a total waste of time but I can't help but think that you might amount to something someday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

My vote is for the Anthem mainly because I just got one because I was looking for the same exact criteria that to mentioned. Race worthy but not so finicky that it doesn't like to have fun. I like your Lycra-baggy analogy, I feel this bike fits that perfectly.

Sure it's their full suspension XC bike, but it's more than that:
    http://youtu.be/FXhR9j1Hjo8

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

That said I was heavily considering the Element too, but there's nobody here that sells them so I would have had to buy it blind without riding one...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm using an Anthem for that exact purpose. It's plush, seems to have more travel than it has, efficient, playful and it's near impossible to find an aluminium FS frame that weighs less.

I run mine with a fork that can be set to 100 and 120mm. At 100, it's an XC marathon bike that likes to be thrown into corners. At 120, it handles a lot bigger terrain with relative ease.

You might want to consider looking for a fork of which you can change the travel. This would make any bike a bit more versatile.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Find a way to buy the Jet9 Carbon, It will be as fast or faster than your HT as a race bike & is a very fast & capable Trail bike as well.
    Last edited by muzzanic; 05-03-2013 at 02:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    just throwing it out there. How about the orbea occam? looks interesting. 100- 120 fork up front. short stays (17.5 i believe). i saw this video recently and had me thinking...especially since the orbea dealer is just down the street. Orbea OCCAM 29er Review - YouTube

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I was quite impressed with Intense Spider 29 Comp - new, plastic frame. Did not like the aluminum model, but not because of material, but it felt a bit twitchy. They slackened out this, and it felt just right, very stable, but still climbs without wondering around..

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    sounds to me like, you'd like a 100mm race bike, with a 120 fork.

Tallboy, Jet 9, Anthem ... Devinci Atlas is very intriguing atm.
    I'd add the Specialized Epic to this list. With the brain shock you can set it up closer to a hardtail or make make it more plush as you want it. I bought mine back in 2010 when you could still get the aluminum frame only and build it up the way you wanted it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Awesome information thus far.

Giant Anthem is something I will check out. Ive been pining over a Rocky Mtn Element, as well.

Ive never ridden the Jet 9, but I have demoed the Rip 9. Ive heard the Jet9 suspension platform is firmer. True?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    trek superfly 100 al elite or pro. I have the al pro with full xt. Maybe a giant anthem advanced 29er would be good. Saddle time
    WHEN IN DOUBT?!?! PEDAL OUT!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Element.
    Pedal through it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Even though the Cannondale Scalpel 29er is coined mostly as a race bike, it is all day ride comfortable and has 100mm F/R, especially the alloy 3 version that I have with a set of low rise bars on it and a lightweight set of wheels...Bike climbs incredibly well and can handle the rocky stuff as well as the downs (within reason)...

Also a +1 on the Anthem, that is definitely a do it all bike...
    2013 C-Dale Scalpel
    2013 Scott Genius 930

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Re: Looking for a XC Race Bike That Also Likes to Have Fun

I ride a stock Anthem 29er and love it...it's handled everything I've thrown at it so far. The Maestro suspension link is an excellent pedaling platform.

Might want to consider the Giant Trance 29er as well...might be more bike than you're looking for, but I haven't heard many complaints about them and they certainly are a capable bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Vittetoe761 View Post
    I ride a stock Anthem 29er and love it...it's handled everything I've thrown at it so far. The Maestro suspension link is an excellent pedaling platform.

Might want to consider the Giant Trance 29er as well...might be more bike than you're looking for, but I haven't heard many complaints about them and they certainly are a capable bike.
    I have a trance x 29er 1 and it is a great all around bike! I have won the first two races of the New Mexico series on it this year. Just bought a superfly yesterday because for the price and the bike and what came with it could not beat the price. If I didn't have to move up in class and I would have finished the series on the trance, and my boss (wife) said I could not keep three bikes Best all around bike I have rode in along time.
    WHEN IN DOUBT?!?! PEDAL OUT!

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    I am in the same boat in terms of riding style. I want a race ready bike that I can still have fun on. I went with a Pivot 429C. I did think long and hard about the Jet9 RDO. I think either would be great for what you want.

All of that being said, I think you are asking a lot of one bike. Be sure to really get out and ride whatever you get prior to pulling the trigger.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Jnthomps08 View Post
    Awesome information thus far.

Giant Anthem is something I will check out. Ive been pining over a Rocky Mtn Element, as well.

Ive never ridden the Jet 9, but I have demoed the Rip 9. Ive heard the Jet9 suspension platform is firmer. True?
    Hi

Yes the pedal platform on the Jet9 carbon bikes is so much better than the 2012 Rip9.

So much so that I had a friend build a 2012 Rip9 with XX1 group & Carbon wheels & then rode my Jet9 RDO & was so much faster that he gave the Rip9 to his wife & is riding my Jet9 RDO while waiting to build a new bike for himself.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmack View Post

All of that being said, I think you are asking a lot of one bike. Be sure to really get out and ride whatever you get prior to pulling the trigger.
    Not at all, The Jet9 Carbon's are light enough & pedal & handle well enough to make it a super fast race bike.

On the other hand I'm faster through all our ruffer tracks on my Je9 RDO than I was on my Rip9 .

I don't care about Racing because 25 years of car racing & rallying has me all raced out, However I like to ride with people that are much fitter & stronger than me & The Jet9 RDO has been a very good bike to stay with them on the up's & nail them on the downs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    i've got my ellsworth evolution frame up for sale if ur an XL... might wanna take a look at it.
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD Special Blend with dropper post, hope/stans wheelset and hope x2/m4 brakes

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I def. think you should try a Tallboy carbon. Its light, quick .corners great and decends very good for a 4" travel xc type bike.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast