mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Looking to Upgrade [Trail 6]

Hey all,

New to the forum but searching for some advice, now I know most of you will say "don't waste the money upgrading" but here it goes anyway

I have a Cannondale Trail 6 with SR Suntour XCT-100-29, 100mm, coil spring, 1-1/8", 27.5" and I would like to upgrade to something a little better. I do not race or anything but I do ride single track trails as well as hit some jumps and this fork is just not doing it for me.

While looking for things to upgrade to I have found many people saying the RockShox Reba is a good choice. Looking for all opinions and options, budget is anywhere under $400.

Specs of my bike can be found here: Trail 6 - TRAIL - TRAIL HARDTAILS - MOUNTAIN - BIKES - 2015

Also I may be upgrading my rims so would a thru axel be worth it on the front?

Thanks all!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Suntour has an upgrade 'Loyalty Program' starting with a Raidon air fork for $200.
    If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Yeah saw that, wasn't sure if that was my BEST bet or maybe there are other options.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Raidon has a maintenance-free oil filled sealed damper.
    It's a big upgrade over your existing fork.
    There are other forks.
    But, for example, a solo air Reba RL has a simple damper that has poor small bump compliance until you add a $120 RCT3 shimmed compression damper and possibly a DIG rebound valve for about $65. And some bottom out tokens for $11.
    Some riders are putting in tokens to keep it from bottoming when they lower the psi to get better small bump compliance.
    Your 1-1/8 head tube is also limiting unless there is some way to use a tapered steerer for taking the fork to a future build.
    A 15mm thru front wheel would move to a future bike. Some hubs have changeable endcaps to handle that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I'm a little concerned if this would even fit

SR SUNTOUR RAIDON XC LO R | SR SUNTOUR NA Inc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Call Nick at Suntour for a recommendation. He can be very helpful. A Raidon is made with a straight steerer.
    You might want to post in the Cannondale section to ask if there is any way to get a tapered steerer to work. Sometimes a lower bearing change can work depending on the inside diameter of your head tube.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    You might be better off asking in the 27.5 section. But the Raidon fork should fit as it appears they make a 27.5 1 1/8 steerer. The Raidon isn't as good as a Reba IMO but should still be much better than your current one.

speshfanatic
    Mar 2015
    marzocchi also have some great suspension in that price range