Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Looking for something lighter and more nimble

Hey all,

Been riding my Rumblefish 29er 21" for a season now, and for the most part I love it. The frame feels a wee bit on the too big size when the trail gets technical, but for more open stuff I can ride it all day. As the season winds down for most people there are new and used deals everywhere, so I am thinking of adding a bike to the quiver.

I ride in "eastern" conditions in Pennsylvania with lots of roots, rocks, and for some reason every trail seems to involve jumping lots of logs. I'm about 6'3" and 200 lbs, and have a back that will nag me when the trail gets rough on a rigid bike (well on my cross bike and old rigid 26" anyways).

I am thinking a 100mm travel XC 29er, a HT 29er, or even a full 26", might be a nice complement the RF for when I know I am only going to be riding the tight stuff.

What would be a good, nimble bike to add considering I already have a super plush all mountain 29er?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Nimble 9

I'm with stupid
    nimble 9 or yelli

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Lighter/nimble

It sounds like you want a bike with a more active suspension. I have ridden many of the suspension types and for all day riding in rocks and roots I would try a 4-bar design, like an Ellsworth, Specialized, Rocky Mtn. and several others. The nimble part for me is the SC Tallboy or Tallboy LTc. I ride on very rocky trails and standing and powering over rocks on long rides doesn't work for the longer rides. I'm sure there are other bikes that do rocks well also.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    anything from canfield is not going to be nimble or light, regardless of the name.

get the performance access xl 29er. cheap, strong and light. very nimble as well.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ascarlarkinyar View Post
    anything from canfield is not going to be nimble or light, regardless of the name.
    Really? Which one have you owned?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish29er View Post
    Hey all,

Been riding my Rumblefish 29er 21" for a season now, and for the most part I love it. The frame feels a wee bit on the too big size when the trail gets technical, but for more open stuff I can ride it all day. As the season winds down for most people there are new and used deals everywhere, so I am thinking of adding a bike to the quiver.

I ride in "eastern" conditions in Pennsylvania with lots of roots, rocks, and for some reason every trail seems to involve jumping lots of logs. I'm about 6'3" and 200 lbs, and have a back that will nag me when the trail gets rough on a rigid bike (well on my cross bike and old rigid 26" anyways).

I am thinking a 100mm travel XC 29er, a HT 29er, or even a full 26", might be a nice complement the RF for when I know I am only going to be riding the tight stuff.

What would be a good, nimble bike to add considering I already have a super plush all mountain 29er?
    Your Rumblefish is going to be comparable to my SJ FSR. When I rode the Tallboy it was almost like getting back on a 26er. It was much more maneuverable that the SJ.

Heck, if you get it with the 120mm fork you may find for PA,MD riding it's a good do it all bike.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Really? Which one have you owned?
    the nimble(got rid of it) and have friends that got suckered into the hype of the yelli.

short chainstays make the bike not nimble when the front fork is pushed out like a chopper bike. frame weight was very disappointing as well. if your looking for a slow handling 29er heavy jump bike, thats about all it was good for.

Ride On

get the performance access xl 29er. cheap, strong and light. very nimble as well.
    :what:
    Michael

Ride on!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    the nimble(got rid of it) and have friends that got suckered into the hype of the yelli.

short chainstays make the bike not nimble when the front fork is pushed out like a chopper bike. frame weight was very disappointing as well. if your looking for a slow handling 29er heavy jump bike, thats about all it was good for.
    Guess there's no accounting for taste. While I agree it's not "light," (my heavy-duty build for AZ terrain with 2.4 tires and a dropper is 29 pounds) it pedals much lighter than its weight. As for nimble, I absolutely and completely disagree with your assessment. I've owned about a dozen (give or take) 29ers and the YS is the closest to handling like a 26er of any big-wheeler I've owned or ridden. I can hip-steer this thing all day without even thinking about it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Guess there's no accounting for taste. While I agree it's not "light," (my heavy-duty build for AZ terrain with 2.4 tires and a dropper is 29 pounds) it pedals much lighter than its weight. As for nimble, I absolutely and completely disagree with your assessment. I've owned about a dozen (give or take) 29ers and the YS is the closest to handling like a 26er of any big-wheeler I've owned or ridden. I can hip-steer this thing all day without even thinking about it.
    Ditto. And my two buddies who ride 26" instantly fell in love with my Nimble after just one ride.

To each his own but your experience is way in the minority. Just read the Nimble 9 build thread.

just some guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish29er View Post
    Hey all,

Scott Genius 700 would kill it.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I used to ride a Rumblefish, like yours.

I switched fish, and went to a Spearfish. The Superfish.

I could not be any happier. 80mm of rear travel--a perfect compromise between a comfortable ride and light weight. Amazing climbing ability. Moves like an extension of your body. I highly recommend it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    nimble 9 or yelli
    A good place to start if the OP decides to try a hardtail.

IMHO, the short chainstay, slack HA "thing" is legit. I love my N9 and don't think I'll be going back to "traditional" 29er hardtail geo again.

bikerpilot
    BMC SF29 (can be had cheap) or the new FourStroke.
    BMC FS01 29 X0
    Redline Monocog 29
    Jamis Supernova
    Rocky Mtn Flow DJ

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Rocky Mountain 29ers have your name written all over them.

29er
    Apr 2010

if your looking for a slow handling 29er heavy jump bike, thats about all it was good for.

don't feed the trolls
    love my nimble 9

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    For a hardtail complement with some rear compliance a ti Lynskey or a Scott Scale Expert or 2013 930 are good options

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I've got a Santa Cruz Highball Carbon. VERY light frame. Short chainstays and low BB make if feel very nimble and still quite stable at speed. Check out the featured bike on Competitive Cyclist. Good deal, me thinks.

mtbr member
    I think this is a good example of why your screen name shouldn't be the bike model you had when you created your mtbr account.

Anyway,I don't know if you'll be able to find a 29er full sus that has a short wheelbase. I had a Spearfish, and didn't really enjoy it. Kinda slow. My latest thinking is that if I get another full sus bike, it will be 650B or 26."
    WTB: Specialized AWOL frameset, XL

mtbr member
    I hear where you are coming from, in fact I went to a LBS in search of a Rumblefish. They listened to my issues and the kind of riding I do and recommended the Superfly 100AL Elite, also in a 21 inch frame.
    After reading reviews and carefully checking out all of the components and I think it is a great bike, for the money! More dollars, a lighter bike.
    I currently ride a Cobia HT and I am obviously sold on 29 ers and I think my lower back will love the FS Superfly.

Take a look!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Part of it is my fault....the LBS steered me towards a Hifi deluxe (now called Superfly) in a 19" but it just felt too cramped. In retrospect I could have messed with the stem and had the smaller bike I am looking for now.

Test rode a Fuel ex 8 not too long ago in a 19.5".......could be the ticket and was offered for a nice deal. Felt faster, but not sure if i actually WAS faster. Also rode a carbon Epic Expert.....was the bomb....but was also 6 grand.

And, hard tails are out....even though I am pretty sure I could be faster and attack on the shorter rides, my back would not forgive me.

I like what I read about the Spearfish....finding one to test is another issue.
    Last edited by Rumblefish29er; 10-22-2012 at 06:51 PM.

mtbr member
    I bought a 2013 santa cruz superlight 29 and love it! It has the same geometry as the tall boy and i find it to feel neutral handling, comfortable and turns well. i ride the rocks in nepa too. Think you should check them out! by the by i'm 6' 225 lbs and my lower back doesn't like the hard tail either, got a large and it fits well you might need a xl
    Last edited by t0pcat; 10-22-2012 at 08:14 PM. Reason: addition
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

Keep on Rockin...
    For a HT, the original Surly Karate Monkey is very nimble. Check out the geo. it is steel and unfortunately a bit porky weight wise, but not bad. I wish they made the same bike in aluminum.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast