Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    250

    Looking for a Soma Juice Frame - help!!

    Hook a brother up...anyone know where I can find a 20" green Soma Juice frame? I found one at a great price online but it's an XXL. I would consider it but can't find the specs ANYWHERE for the Juice. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: seat_boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,631
    Do a Google image search, you can find it on flickr:

    soma_geochart_juice2012_dual | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

    It's possible I may have a lightly used 22" frame for sale. I want to do some comparisons with my new Karate Monkey to say for sure.

    This site also seems to have the 18" and 22" for sale.
    WTB: Specialized AWOL frameset, XL

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    Do a Google image search, you can find it on flickr:

    soma_geochart_juice2012_dual | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

    It's possible I may have a lightly used 22" frame for sale. I want to do some comparisons with my new Karate Monkey to say for sure.

    This site also seems to have the 18" and 22" for sale.
    Awesome...thanks a ton. I have already talked to the folks at that site you posted and they are putting together a shipping quote for me. I tested (for fit only) a Trek Wahoo yesterday in the 21" size...seems like the 22" Soma is very similar to that especially with the drop down frame. I want to sit in my bike not on it or over the handle bars. Any insight?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,055
    Not sure where you're located, but here is one. Though not green. There is always a powdercoat option.

    (No affiliation with seller. Just found it via search).

    Soma Juice 29er Hardtail MTB Mountain Bike Frame 29" wheel hard tail

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: seat_boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,631
    Sorry, no great insights from me. Compared to a typical Trek frame, the Soma has a taller head tube, which may or may not raise your front end--depends on how you cut the fork. At the least, you won't be able to get the bars as low, but on the other hand, you'll run fewer spacers to get them higher (my preference). Soma manages the standover with the bent top tube, which I've found works dandy.

    Something I really like about the Juice is that it's one of the few XL frames to still run a normal size top tube (28.6 diameter) Most steel frames are one or two steps oversized here, which I find makes the frame too stiff. The skinny tube emphasizes the "steely" nature of the ride, for me at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by ddublu View Post
    Awesome...thanks a ton. I have already talked to the folks at that site you posted and they are putting together a shipping quote for me. I tested (for fit only) a Trek Wahoo yesterday in the 21" size...seems like the 22" Soma is very similar to that especially with the drop down frame. I want to sit in my bike not on it or over the handle bars. Any insight?
    WTB: Specialized AWOL frameset, XL

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    Sorry, no great insights from me. Compared to a typical Trek frame, the Soma has a taller head tube, which may or may not raise your front end--depends on how you cut the fork. At the least, you won't be able to get the bars as low, but on the other hand, you'll run fewer spacers to get them higher (my preference). Soma manages the standover with the bent top tube, which I've found works dandy.

    Something I really like about the Juice is that it's one of the few XL frames to still run a normal size top tube (28.6 diameter) Most steel frames are one or two steps oversized here, which I find makes the frame too stiff. The skinny tube emphasizes the "steely" nature of the ride, for me at least.
    How tall are you and what is your inseam? Can't decide now if I should go to the XXL because of the lower top tube.

    Not sure if you saw this in another thread but check out the comparison.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    734
    Two things here:

    1. The Juice will definitely give you the "in-the-bike" feeling. That's how I like my bikes as well, and I loved the Juice for that quality, among others.

    2. You shouldn't base the size of the frame on the height of the top tube. You should focus on the length of the top tube. In your chart above, the important number is the "Top Tube level" measurement. Your Felt is 605mm. If you move up to the 22" Juice, you'd be looking at a 646mm top tube, which is 41mm or about and inch and a half longer. That's a good bit longer in bike measurements. Be careful though, because head tube and seat tube angles factor into the "reach" of a bike, which is ultimately the measure of how well a bike fits. Yes, the top tube lengths on the Wahoo and the 22" Juice are very close, but the head tube angle on the Wahoo is more than 1 degree shallower, meaning that the reach would be less (assuming the seat tube angles are the same) on the Wahoo.

    I can't really say which one would fit better, but hopefully the above info helps out a little. Good luck. The Juice is an awesome frame.

    Side note - make sure you get the 2012 model with the sliders. The older models had horizontal drops and removing the rear wheel means loosening the rear brake caliper = pain in the a$$.
    Last edited by LBIkid; 11-26-2012 at 05:24 PM. Reason: I can't spell.
    Enjoy the ride!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: seat_boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,631
    I'm 6'3", with a 34" pants inseam/36" cycling inseam (pubic bone height). Me seat height (bottom bracket center to top of saddle along seat tube) is 32".

    Here's a picture of my Juice with a Fargo V2 fork:



    It can be my full suspension bike as well!





    Quote Originally Posted by ddublu View Post
    How tall are you and what is your inseam? Can't decide now if I should go to the XXL because of the lower top tube.

    Not sure if you saw this in another thread but check out the comparison.
    WTB: Specialized AWOL frameset, XL

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    I'm 6'3", with a 34" pants inseam/36" cycling inseam (pubic bone height). Me seat height (bottom bracket center to top of saddle along seat tube) is 32".
    What size is your bike?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: seat_boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,631
    22"

    Quote Originally Posted by ddublu View Post
    what size is your bike?
    WTB: Specialized AWOL frameset, XL

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    22"
    I literally just hopped off a Soma Juice 18" and it's too small but the reach felt almost there. At 6'2" I think a 20" is right where I need to be. Will have to sell my new SID XX fork to get a straight one but other than that I should be good to go. Thanks for the help.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    250
    Can someone confirm this is the 2012 model? This is my mechanic's Soma that I may end up buying from him. It's a 20" and I moved the seat back for fitting and love it. I ordered one from Modern Bike just to be safe as well. They are taking my frame back and moving all parts to the Soma at no charge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking for a Soma Juice Frame - help!!-soma1.jpg  

    Looking for a Soma Juice Frame - help!!-soma2.jpg  

    Looking for a Soma Juice Frame - help!!-soma3.jpg  

    Looking for a Soma Juice Frame - help!!-soma4.jpg  

    Looking for a Soma Juice Frame - help!!-soma5.jpg  


  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: seat_boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,631
    I think they have only made the sliding dropout models for '11 and '12 so far, so it's probably one of those. Older models have track ends (no moving parts)
    WTB: Specialized AWOL frameset, XL

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    17
    Just a head's up, if you're interested the Juice is all new for 2013.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    17
    Here's the link for more info:

    S O M A f e e d: 2013 Frame News: Soma Juice

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    250
    Yep. Saw that. I like the less conventional look of the 2012 model and LOVE the green.

  17. #17
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,938
    Quote Originally Posted by ddublu View Post
    I would consider it but can't find the specs ANYWHERE for the Juice. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
    I don't know... that's a hard one... maybe try the Soma website?
    /sarcasm
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    I don't know... that's a hard one... maybe try the Soma website?
    /sarcasm
    Tried that first - see for yourself....no dice. Juice | SOMA Fabrications They are prepping the site for the new model Juice. I found it from another post on these boards.

  19. #19
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,938
    Quote Originally Posted by ddublu View Post
    yep. Saw that. I like the less conventional look of the 2012 model and love the green.
    yes!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    yes!!
    The 2012 is less conventional because it's the last year they did the dropped top tube. A search would have revealed that this is changing in 2013 with the Nickel colored Juice.....in the more conventional design.

  21. #21
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,938
    Quote Originally Posted by ddublu View Post
    Tried that first - see for yourself....no dice. Juice | SOMA Fabrications They are prepping the site for the new model Juice. I found it from another post on these boards.
    yep... google so hard to operate

    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    yep... google so hard to operate

    Day late and a dollar short....this was already answered yesterday. What's the beef?

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    yes!!
    Nice edit there....

  24. #24
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,938
    Quote Originally Posted by ddublu View Post
    Nice edit there....
    i thought so
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    that's why I said, "yes!"

    the dropped tube and cooler color of the 2012 is less conventional... which is why i agreed, and why a bit of comprehension would have revealed that "yes!" means, "I concur."
    Yes!! is not what you said intitially....this is what you said initially and then edited your comment so you weren't wrong.

    "how is it less conventional now that the top tube is straight like almost every other HT?

    to me it looks WAY MORE conventional... not that I mind. I had two midnight silver soma's until i sold my juice to my best friend to upgrade to fancy metal."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •