mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Looking for a new bike

So I am riding a 2018 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er (medium frame) and I have already "out grown" it, or so I feel. In hindsight, I really wish I could of waited and went full suspension. I am 6' 185 lbs.

I am looking for about 130-140mm of travel if possible in the front. Budget is around 2500-3500. I have been looking at Pivot, Giant and Marin. I am not sure if I want to stick with Specialized.

Any ideas?

Moderator Moderator
    I'm a self confessed Fan boy but the Trek Fuel EX always scores highly in reviews

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob View Post
    I'm a self confessed Fan boy but they Trek Fuel EX always scores highly in reviews
    Same here. Love my Fuel EX-8 27.5+. Like 2 bikes in 1 if I decide to get a 29 wheelset and switch out my plus tires/rims.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I also have a Fuel EX8. And like the others who have already posted, I think it's a fantastic bike. I'm very happy with mine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The 8 is the first model to give you the RE:aktiv shock.

You haven't ridden a decent hardtail with a real suspension. Where you ride I'd be looking at a Stache 9.7 carbon 29+ if you can find any in your size.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Rocky Mountain Instinct is a sweet spot for you I'd bet. Also being a taller guy, the reach is really nice without being extreme. I ride an XL. The seated cockpit feel isn't all stretched out due to the steep-ish STA too which is GREAT for taller guys tired of these fake seat tube angles that when extended put your butt way behind the bike and hence things get tippy up front.

Jason's review is pretty nice and fits your style perhaps. FWIW I think that dude rides dang near everything and this is the bike he bought. He's super positive in most videos/bikes in his review but in the live events he's done you get a more realistic comparison from bike to bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK6QMSpHuPs&t=2s

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I don't know how handy you are or whether you have some time to put your bike together, but if I were on your budget I would build a bike up from a frame. Buy a used frame or get a Chiner frame (see those huge threads) which generally run around $600-$800 for a full-suspension carbon 29er frame with modern geometry and hardware plus 2-year warranty. You'll need to build it up, but you'll get all the components you want and in the end you'll save a lot compared to buying from your LBS.

If I had to pick a brand-name bike I would not buy local at this price--you just lose so much in retail markups (~36%). I would be split between a Canyon Spectral CF 8.0 or a YT Jeffsy 29 CF, probably with a preference for the Canyon just based on overall ride quality and trail feel. A direct comparison of specs of consumer-direct brands with Trek, Giant, Specialized, Cannondale, etc. at this price-point shows clearly that a Canyon or YT gets you more. I have friends who ride Canyon and their bikes are rad.

mtbr member
    Transition Smuggler NX Alloy could be a good choice. Maybe GX if your shop offers a bit of a discount.

120 rear/140 front.

Can't say I'm a fan boy, but I'm loving the hell out of my new one; had it about a month now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Transition Smuggler NX Alloy could be a good choice. Maybe GX if your shop offers a bit of a discount.

120 rear/140 front.

Can't say I'm a fan boy, but I'm loving the hell out of my new one; had it about a month now.
    Hey how heavy are you? I saw some reviews talking about the alloy bike being really nice going down but that it was going through that 120 a little too quick. Any truth to that? Also what do you think of all the extra length?

mtbr member
    I'm a clyde. I don't huck much, but do get it airborne. I'm not going through all the travel; I'm using it all, but not bottoming out much at all. Length takes a bit of adjustment, but the SBG is a real thing. You'd think the extra length would show itself on switchbacks, for example, but they are a non-event on this bike.

I was worried about climbing on "just" a 4-bar, but this bike climbs very, very well. I put the suspension in Trail mode on gravel roads, sometimes, but don't really need to. Downhill? It's letting me push myself. Whatever Transition's done with their Giddyup 2.0 and SBG, it works.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks for the replies. I have a guy at a local bike shop who is trying to steer me towards the new Stumpjumper ST. They have a demo coming in next week so I might start there and give it a shot.

mtbr member
    Devinci has a great 140mm trail bike. May want to toss that in the ring.

DEVINCI - DJANGO CARBON 29 GX EAGLE
    Best Source for Ibis, Devinci, and Ventana!
    Velorangutan... the pedal type.
    Motorangutan... the motorized type.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wood78221 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I have a guy at a local bike shop who is trying to steer me towards the new Stumpjumper ST. They have a demo coming in next week so I might start there and give it a shot.
    That's because he's a Specialized shop and it's what he has to sell, probably. And beyond that, they may even be offering incentives to get this new bike out into the wild so more people can see it and talk about it, so your guy may get a bonus for each one he sells and/or the shop may get something. (Note: not sure if the bike industry works this way or not, so this may or may not have anything to do with the steering.)

Other shops will steer you to what they sell, of course.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorangutan View Post
    Devinci has a great 140mm trail bike. May want to toss that in the ring.

DEVINCI - DJANGO CARBON 29 GX EAGLE
    This is a great option, that split pivot is similar to DWLink (same designer) and I think one of the best out there. That is only a 120 travel bike tho with a 140mm fork on it. The carbon version aren't all carbon as the rear triangle is Alum (some say its an advantage). Easily a great bike. There is a Troy sitting my garage right now.

I'd be a little wary of that specialized bike. It certainly seems super hyped up. You should demo the new Pivot Trail 429 (or whatever the name is). I think that DWLink bike with the redesign (old bike was too small for me in XL) should be the first bike you ride. I think that with a 140mm fork would be awesome and probably the standard bearer. DWLink is something special.

mtbr member
    you should get whatever bike you like the most. Buy it, go for a ride, and than crack open a cold beer. If your at least 21 of course, and not driving an auto vehicle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    That's because he's a Specialized shop and it's what he has to sell, probably. And beyond that, they may even be offering incentives to get this new bike out into the wild so more people can see it and talk about it, so your guy may get a bonus for each one he sells and/or the shop may get something. (Note: not sure if the bike industry works this way or not, so this may or may not have anything to do with the steering.)

Other shops will steer you to what they sell, of course.
    I am going to check it out but yep you are right. I am open to whatever.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wideawakejake View Post
    you should get whatever bike you like the most. Buy it, go for a ride, and than crack open a cold beer. If your at least 21 of course, and not driving an auto vehicle.
    Most of the major brands are at bike shops around my area, but a few are about 2 hours away. I def want to take my time and see what I can find. I have a hard time just ordering a bike for 3-4k offline and tryin it out the first time.

mtbr member
    10-4. There are some great direct sale bikes out there but just because the bike is a stellar deal and has high end componets, does not mean you will gel with it. Its all relative.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    If you can just dial in some of your top Favs and going demo the heck out of them. That is the best option now that you've got a list of the usual crowd. Often early summer is demo season for the trucks. You may have missed some but you can find others.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    So Today I test drove a Giant Trance 2 and a Camber 29. I really liked how the Trance 2 felt. The Camber 29 felt really stiff.