mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Looking into new bike.

Not exactly sure on quality of components that come on these bikes but I've boiled my list down to three bikes from some of the popular manufacturing giants.

Giant Talon 29-3 - https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/talon-29-3-2018

Specialized Rockhopper - https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...khopper/134064

Trek Marlin 5(2018) - https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...colorCode=grey

I may consider the Rockhopper Comp if its a significant quality increase compared to all of these bikes. I do not know which components are better than the other so I'm here to ask. Price range is anywhere from 450-750(if that is a big impact on quality). Otherwise under 550 USD.

I plan on taking the bike on trails that could be considered "all mountain" and I weight 214lbs and I'm 6'3'' so a sturdy frame is a must. I will be upgrading the bike so lower-end options may be comparable with reasonable upgrades? This will be a 5+ year bike.

Any suggestions other than these must be hardtail, disc brakes and aluminum frame and of course 29'' wheels.

Thanks for your input.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I'd like to share some of my personal experience with bike purchasing rather than weigh in on which of these bikes you should buy.

I find that whenever I buy a bike with the intent of upgrading certain parts, I always wish I spent more upfront. Bike companies get better deals on components than we get as consumers. If you feel that you would like upgrade as you go, you might want to consider saving a bit more to get a better bike up front. This will maximize your value for money.

I also feel, for me at least, that frame geometry is more important than components. Geometry is the single most defining factor for how a bike will fit, and how it will handle the type of riding you throw at it. If you have a bike with awesome bits on it that has poor geometry for you, you will never be comfortable on it.

I would say that saving a bit more money would open doors to many different frames, and would expand your choices in terms of bike fit and components. There are some awesome hardtails with relatively aggressive geometry out there, but many of them are closer to the $1000 mark. The frames you're looking at will serve you well to learn on initially, but the geometry might be a bit underwhelming for moving onto rougher and poorly maintained trails. It sounds like you are wanting to venture into some gnarlier terrain eventually and some better components would serve you well over time.

I would try to find a bike with an air fork. They are more adjustable than a coil fork, which is really nice when you're learning, and especially nice if your weight changes by any significant margin while you own the bike. If you absolutely can't save more, and you get a bike with a suntour coil spring fork, look into the suntour upgrade program. You can get a much better fork for relatively little money (I recall a nice air fork being like $200 when you trade in your stock fork). If you can swing it, and are willing to save a bit longer, I recall quality really stepping up around the $1000 to $1200 range when I was looking for a solid hardtail.

If I were in your shoes right now, I would really consider trying out some bikes with 27.5+ tires because many of these frames can also fit 29er wheels. For the kind of riding it sounds like you are thinking about doing, I would think about some of these:

KONA BIKES | MTB | HONZO | Honzo AL

https://www.raleighusa.com/tokul-15837

https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/pine-mountain-1

Anyway, sorry for being so long winded. There are lots of great bikes out there. Buy one that fits and that you want to ride, then proceed to ride the $#!+ out of it.

TLDR: Spend more than you think you want to; you will thank yourself. Get the best frame you can afford. Try to buy the bike that you actually want, not one that could become the bike you want it to be. If you must spend less now, and you get a bike with a suntour coil spring fork, look into the suntour upgrade program. Godspeed.

mtbr member
    215, 6' 4" riding "all mountain" on a $500 bike to last 5 years... good luck lol

id double/triple your budget

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    Go used for sure...anything in the sub-$1k range is trash. Just the reality of the situation. That may seem crazy to you, but give it a couple of years and you'll start convincing yourself that $2k for a wheelset is reasonable :-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Yep new is not important, go used the better quality allways win, at 5-600$ many choices