mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Looking for a DURABLE full suspension mountain bike

I was at some local bike races yesterday and talking to a guy who is a little bigger than me (I'm 6'6" 250lbs) and said he broke something (hubs, axles, derailleur hangers, etc) every time he raced on his Stumpjumper. He replaced it with a Pivot Mach 429 and hasn't broken anything since.

Did he have a lemon of a Stumpjumper or was he too hard on the bike or what? I was leaning towards a Stumpjumper and this testimony made me second guess. Both bikes are the models in the $3-4k range (I know there's a huge range for Stumpjumpers). I would be mad beyond words if I dropped $3k+ on a bike and I broke something every time out. Obviously these bikes take a lot of abuse and breaking things is to be expected but that is excessive.

Carbon & Ti rule
    It sounds like most the things he broke were not the stump jumpers fault, Doesn't sound like he broke a frame.

It's the parts that bolt to the fame that also need to be tuff & that can mean bigger budget.

Have a look in the clyde's forum & see what guys your size are getting a good run with.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    It sounds like most the things he broke were not the stump jumpers fault, Doesn't sound like he broke a frame.

It's the parts that bolt to the fame that also need to be tuff & that can mean bigger budget.

Have a look in the clyde's forum & see what guys your size are getting a good run with.
    That's what I thought. Just sounded like maybe the price equivalent Pivot came with better components?

There's always next year.
    While I loved my 429 and thought it was a very durable, tough frame.... I'd be wary of the guy who breaks everything all the time. Sometimes, it could be parts issues, but if you are breaking stuff every time out, something's wrong; either with installation or use of said parts. But as Muzzanic said, doesn't sound like he killed the frame.

Ive been riding since '96, and I'm a bigger dude, and the only stuff I've broken has related to a crash, or bad installation by me. Maybe I'm lucky, but I do think a guy breaking stuff frequently tells you more than just about parts durability.