mtbr member
    Jul 2018

Looking for advice

So I bought a 2018 kona Mahuna 29er on Friday and Iíve taken it out twice so far, Iím a complete noob but Iíve been enjoying it so far. After looking up some fit tweaking guides I believe my lbs sold me a bike that is too big for me (a large) Iím 5í9Ē 31Ē inseam. When I stand over the bike my bag is touching the top bar and my arms are at full lock while riding and I find Iím getting some wrist pain after an hour or so of riding. My question is should my lbs exchange the bike for me even though Iíve ridden it? The rear chain guard broke about an hour into my first ride, is it now unexchangeable? The guy that picked the bike for me looked like he was 15 and it was his first day... what do you guys think? Am I ****ed?

Interplanetary Poultry
    According to the Kona fit guide on their website you are at the high end of the medium frame and the very low end of the large frame fitment wise. I'm 5'7" and I usually ride a medium frame. You could call the store and talk to a manager about the issue, see if you can try a medium to see how it feels. you could also look at the stem length, see if you may need a shorter stem.
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

Co Springs
    I think you have a good chance at getting some help if you are assertive but polite about the situation. Go back to the store right away with the bike and talk to the owner or mgr to explain your concerns. Don't crush the kid who made the mistake but let them realize your decision was based on their professional staff and experiences and that was a misnomer. I'll bet they can adjust/adapt or change out a few things at minimal or Zero cost to get you the proper fit or will work with you on a different bike if an exchange is needed. Make sure you are working with a top-notch experienced employee all through that routine.

Kona's (2000 - 2005) always felt small and tight to me and I did end up with a medium when I could have went large. Seat rail - stem fix worked well though ... 5'11" and 155# at the time.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post
    I think you have a good chance at getting some help if you are assertive but polite about the situation. Go back to the store right away with the bike and talk to the owner or mgr to explain your concerns. Don't crush the kid who made the mistake but let them realize your decision was based on their professional staff and experiences and that was a misnomer. I'll bet they can adjust/adapt or change out a few things at minimal or Zero cost to get you the proper fit or will work with you on a different bike if an exchange is needed. Make sure you are working with a top-notch experienced employee all through that routine.

Kona's (2000 - 2005) always felt small and tight to me and I did end up with a medium when I could have went large. Seat rail - stem fix worked well though ... 5'11" and 155# at the time.
    This. This is top notch advice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Don't worry about the chain guard thing. Suggest they move the one from the Medium over to your Large when you do the swap.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Thanks for the advice, I ended up going to the shop and he switched out the stem thing on the handle bar for a shorter one at no cost, also he adjusted the seat position a bit aswell. I went on an actual mountain bike trail afterward and man you people are crazy 😂😂 I almost died a few times but man it was fun 😂

mtbr member

New question here.

I am also 5'9" and based on the geometry on that bike, a large would be waaaay too big for me to enjoy. it would be even worse for a beginner.

now is a good time to learn a bit about bike geometry- look at the chart on the link I posted above. the reach and effective top tube (TT length) are huge. the reach is 453mm and the effective top tube is 632mm. for reference, a typical bike for someone your size has a reach of 410-430mm (or a little longer if the bike has progressive geometry) and a ETT of 600-615mm. basically, that bike is at least an inch too long for me to ride comfortably and confidently, and an inch might as well be a foot when it comes to riding technical trails for hours on end. I would recommend a trail/XC bike with the dimensions of a large Mahuna for someone who is 6' tall.

if you can't exchange it, you're going to have to live with it somehow. you might end up having to run an itty bitty stem as a bandaid solution. if you felt a bit scared by some of the terrain, part of the problem is that the bike is far too long for you. imagine trying to run those some trails with size 13 shoes, but you have size 9 feet.

take it back and get them to sell you the right size bike. it is THEIR fault they sold you the wrong size (unless you were really set on buying that size for some reason). I feel bad for the shop that employs teenagers (but thrilled for those teenagers), but they need some oversight to learn the ropes before they allow the new salespeople to make mistakes that cost the shop hundreds of dollars. inexperienced bike fitters often put people on bikes that are too big because they base their fitting on a static riding position on flat, even terrain. riding trails, as you have discovered, is nothing like that.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

mtbr member
    Should be on a medium, and the LBS should take care of it. Unfortunately, "should" and "will" are different. I'm 6'5", so almost a foot taller, and I ride one size larger than you've got with an XL. Something's not right there.

And if the plastic chain guard (dork disk) broke, it's either because you slammed it into a rock/log, or the chain came off. If you slammed it into a rock/log, congratulations on having fun. If it's because the chain came off, the bike shop didn't set the bike up right to begin with.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    id rather have too big than too small. i smacked my knee on a fork crown on a too small of a bike. sucked like a mf !

long bikes, short stems, wide bars ftw !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post

long bikes, short stems, wide bars ftw !
    There are long bikes, and there are loooooooong bikes. Kona designs their bikes with long reaches already, so a medium is plenty long for a rider of his height. The reach on a large Kona is going to be ridiculous.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by emhush View Post
    Am I ****ed?
    the clock is tickin. time is running out on how long the bike shop will allow you to return the bike. you're not getting younger either. life is too short to ride bikes that don't inspire you with confidence.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

mtbr member
    The large Mahuna is close to a medium Honzo. Put a short stem on it and enjoy the longer bike. It will have a more stable feel to it while descending.

mtbr member
    The Honzo is indeed long, but putting a short stem on a large Mahuna might not make it ride like a Honzo. Long reaches work on some kinds of geometry, but you have to take the rest of the geo numbers into consideration. The long reach on the Honzo works for most riders because of the longer front-center, short chainstays, higher stack, lower BB drop, etc.

An upsized Mahuna might be more stable in a straight line or downhill, but the OP has already noticed that it makes wrangling the bike difficult. Unless all of your riding is about shuttle runs on fire roads, it will be a liability. Making a large Mahuna fit someone who is clearly suited for a medium is like buying shoes that are two sizes too big and stuffing rags into the toebox to take up the extra room.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

mtbr member
    I'm 181cm in height & ride anywhere from 435mm reach í12 Transition Bandit 29 XL, to a 460mm reach '14 Kona Process 134 L. Current bikes are size L's, '17 Nukeproof Scout 290 & '17 Giant Reign 2...

All reach's are different & I've happily ridden them all...

If the shorter stem has worked & you had fun on your ride, that's great!!

A handle bar with greater sweep could help if you're still feeling a little stretched out ^^

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Do they have a medium in stock? That may be the reason they are trying to fit you to a large. You need to test ride a medium if they have one.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone