mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Lookin for a new 29er

I've been mountain biking in Palo Duro Canyon for the past 5-6 years, riding a Trek 4300. I've more or less outgrown that now, and am looking to upgrade. I've looked a little at the Trek Marlin, Mamba, and the Specialized Hardrock, as well as the Trek 4500/4700/4900 (26er). My only qualms about spending the extra money for a Mamba, or the higher end 4 series is that I'll be leaving for college soon, and I'm a bit nervous about having a rather nice bike on campus. With that in mind, I looked at the Marlin and Hardrock. What are the pros and cons of each? I know that the Hardrock has hydraulic brakes, but I've also been told that low end hydraulic brakes aren't really that much better. Also, how do the forks compare to one another? Lastly, is the Mamba worth the extra $300 or so? I'm not really sure about how my current bike stacks up compared to the bikes I'm looking at. The trails down at PDC are rough, but I've never really concerned myself with my bike, I've just ridden and managed through any problems that I had. Thanks for any help!

mtbr member
    First of all here's a review of the Marlin: Trek Marlin Review - BikeRadar
    and the Hardrock:
    Specialized Hardrock Disc Review - BikeRadar

The difference for the forks is that on the Marlin you have a lockout and there is a 100mm travel compared tp a 80mm travel on the Hardrock so it's better than the Hardrock one. Hydraulic brakes have more stopping power that's for sure, but V-brakes are fine, but that's up to you. The Mamba is a really great bike, there's a good fork and better components than the two other ones. Is the extra 300$ worth it? Well that depends on you, if your Trek 4300 was always broken I would go with the Mamba, but if the bike had no problems riding these trails than go with the Marlin! Even if it's not a big uprade from your Trek 4300! I'm not a pro but hope that helped you a bit!

mtbr member
    Oups, forgot the review for the Mamba: Trek Mamba Review - BikeRadar

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks! I rode the Marlin and the Hardrock around a parking lot the other day, but the salesman didn't mention the 20mm difference in travel. I appreciate the help!

mtbr member
    You're welcome! Give me an update when you get your bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I got it! It's definitely an upgrade from what I've been riding...much smoother gear shifts, better suspension...everything's great! Thanks again for your help!

mtbr member
    Nice, wish one did you get? & no problem