Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Long Travel 29'er.......that won't be my primary bike?

Looking for some advice on a long travel 29er that won’t break the bank. I am mainly a XC rider but my son and his buddies like to ride trails that require more of a trail bike.

No problem……..just go out and get a new bike….right? Well not so fast. This would be my 4th bike and not my primary bike.

Looking for something used……… I have done some research and it seems the Tracer 29 is a bit of an underrated bike. Read some posts about using a Cane Creek angleset to slacken things a bit and the bike performs well. Any others I should consider?

I own a Tallboy (non LT) with 100mm of travel front and rear that is built up light for XC. This additional bike I would want at min 140mm of travel and more burly.

If I could afford it….. the Intense Carbine would be my choice but it is too far out of reach.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Carbon & Ti rule
    Ok

The problem with getting a long travel bike is they often reset your mind set to what you want to ride & what starts as being a now and again bike can often end up being used far more often, So spending a little more 1st up is often well worth it.( depending on how close you live to down hill trails )

I have a friend who has a Giant Glory DH bike & you just wouldn't want to ride it on anything other than Down hill.

The current crop of long travel 29er bikes just aren't like that IMO ( OK they are shorter travel than something like the Glory ) but they are quite good on the flat & climbs.

So when buying a bike, Buy it thinking that you may use it more than you think, It may change the bike or build you use.

I have got the new WFO & use it a lot more than I thought & I have may bikes as well & carbon as well.

Just my 2 c

Note a good fork is so important on a bike like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee View Post
    Looking for some advice on a long travel 29er that won’t break the bank. I am mainly a XC rider but my son and his buddies like to ride trails that require more of a trail bike.

No problem……..just go out and get a new bike….right? Well not so fast. This would be my 4th bike and not my primary bike.

Looking for something used……… I have done some research and it seems the Tracer 29 is a bit of an underrated bike. Read some posts about using a Cane Creek angleset to slacken things a bit and the bike performs well. Any others I should consider?

I own a Tallboy (non LT) with 100mm of travel front and rear that is built up light for XC. This additional bike I would want at min 140mm of travel and more burly.

If I could afford it….. the Intense Carbine would be my choice but it is too far out of reach.

Last edited by muzzanic; 10-21-2014 at 11:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Ok

The problem with getting a long travel bike is they often reset your mind set to what you want to ride & what starts as being a now and again bike can often end up being used far more often, So spending a little more 1st up is often well worth it.( depending on how close you live to down hill trails )

I have a friend has a Giant Glory DH bike & you just wouldn't want to ride it on anything other than Down hill.

The current crop of long travel bikes just aren't like that IMO ( OK they are shorter travel than something like the Glory ) but they are quite good on the flat & climbs.

So when buying a bike, Buy it thinking that you may use it more than you think, I may change the bike or build you use.

I have got the new WFO & use it a lot more than I thought & I have may bikes as well & carbon as well.

Just my 2 c

Note a good fork is so important on a bike like this.
    I hear ya...kinda the reason I wanted to go used. My logic.......get something used and if I use it more than I originally thought sell it and upgrade.

In the past I owned a Intense Uzzi SLX and Santa Cruz Bullit and like that style of riding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    muzzanic is on the money - bought a AMHT as a (relatively) inexpensive way to add variety to my XCFS.

Two things happened as a direct result:
    I started riding harder and faster because the bike was so capable.
    I wrecked on my XC bike because I was riding it like a speed-crazed moron.

I think you'd find a lot of the AM/trail/enduro 140-160mm bikes would become your go-to.
    2012 Specialized Camber Comp
    2014 Kona Taro
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    What size is your Tallboy and is it carbon?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    What size is your Tallboy and is it carbon?
    XL carbon

mtbr member

Used Tallboy LTc?

cowbell
    I have a list of "long travel" 29er's, meaning pretty much anything more than 100mm, that I'd like to pick up or at least get a leg over.

Ibis Ripley
    Intense Carbine
    Rocky Mountain Instinct BC

Those are bikes I would own "in addition to" my SS and my 4" FS XC rig. I'm not sure how well any of those work with "not breaking the bank" (my bank shudders and rattles at the mere thought of these bikes) but that's where I look when I think long travel 29er. I'm curious to see what else people come up with along those lines.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Might be able to find a Niner WFO frame for reasonable price new old stock. Cambria still had them for a $1000. Than piece togetehr whatever else you need.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

Cassoulet forever !
    i would go 140mm minimum.
    Spe enduro, trek remedy, bmc trailfox, Lenz.
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

FKA Malibu412
    Budget? I would add that a Giant Trance can be had fairly reasonably although you give up some travel to the others mentioned. Folks love the Maestro rear suspension.

Look for close outs?
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

connisseur
    Covert 29 on closeout, Transition has new models coming out and their not making them anymore

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tickle View Post
    Covert 29 on closeout, Transition has new models coming out and their not making them anymore
    What a shame

mtbr member
    No one mentioned the Banshee Prime yet?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'll throw this out there, Lenz Lunchbox.

Nice thing is paired with a Talas, you can run it 130/127 or 160/152
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Thanks.........some great suggestions. For sure want something 140mm min.......I want something very different from my 100mm Tallboy. One of the reasons I got rid of my SC Highball is the weight was "similar" to my Tallboy and never rode the thing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I have a remedy 29er, size 21 I might be willing to part with. Full custom: Sram x1, upgraded factory fork internals, pushed shock, dropper post. DT swiss 350 Flow EX wheels. Message me.

I've used it for everything. ride it more than my SF100.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    My first 29er was a 2012 Tracer 29. I owned it for a year and never really bonded with it. I'm not as articulate about small nuances like a lot of these guys on here can be, but I felt it was too flexy for me. In the bikes defense I'm considered a clyde at 6ft 2 226#ish. I moved on to a Yeti SB95 this past June and love it!! The thing is solid, agile and responsive. Maybe it's just a preference thing or a weight thing but it was a very real difference between the two bikes for me. For starters I bought the Intense without ever riding one first. Before purchasing the Yeti, I test rode one!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yeah, consider the Yeti SB95. Good deals both used and markdown new frames right now.

connisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    What a shame
    Yeah it's a great bike, the full travel 29er market was already kinda small I'm sure and with the advent of the 27.5" wheel prob even smaller now. I can see smaller companies like Transition not being able to support it. Personally I'll stick with the big wheels tho

Short-Change-Hero
    I think what muzzanic said pretty much hit the nail on the head. I recently just built up a mid-travel 29er FS (Hammerhead THumper) after riding a steel ht 29er for the last 3yrs. My inbred is 100mm xc machine that I have loved and I never thought that I would want anything more than that 100mm of travel as I figured it would feel like I was Easy Rider with the handlebars way up and ass way down.

Now, a couple months after riding my Thumper (140mm/130mm) I can tell you that this is not the case. The build I ended up doing (you can look for my build thread) ended up costing me a little over $2100 with a few extra things in there and even still that is freaking rocking cheap comparatively to the bikes I was looking at. Depending on the size you might need Scott might still have something but the HH Thumpers are going quick.

As for ride impressions, well all I can say is that yes it changed the way that I thought about long travel bikes and how they would handle. The same tracks that I am riding between the bikes (thumper vs. inbred) have shown that the Thumper is considerably faster yet I feel that it still handles just as well, if not better, then my Inbred. But there are lots of great bikes out there, some people like the more "boutique" brands than others so it all depends on your budget, needs, talents, etc. I personally sold off my Kona Jake (commuter/CX machine) specifically to build the Thumper and then move the Inbred over to my commuter/monstercross bike.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tickle View Post
    Yeah it's a great bike, the full travel 29er market was already kinda small I'm sure and with the advent of the 27.5" wheel prob even smaller now. I can see smaller companies like Transition not being able to support it. Personally I'll stick with the big wheels tho
    People need to demo long travel 29ers before completely writing them off, and for some reason the marketing is saying long travel + 29" doesn't work well.

Big wheels and long travel is an amazing combination. We have known this a very long time, Niner and Lenz found out years ago by jumping in early.

Coming back from Outerbike in Moab a few weeks ago was pretty eye opening to the fact many people liked the WFO9 better than all of the "new" 27.5" bikes in the same travel range.

Further, the WFO9 is winning "enduro" shootouts in Europe against very popular 27.5 bikes in the same travel category. One example is below. "TESTSIEGER" means "test winner", at least in my google translator!

It has become one of my favorite bikes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Long Travel 29'er.......that won't be my primary bike?-1wfo92014-05-01-13.11.13.jpg  

Long Travel 29'er.......that won't be my primary bike?-1wfo92014-05-01-17.49.11.jpg  

Long Travel 29'er.......that won't be my primary bike?-1wfo92014-10-16-13.56.53.jpg  

Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow View Post
    People need to demo long travel 29ers before completely writing them off, and for some reason the marketing is saying long travel + 29" doesn't work well.

Big wheels and long travel is an amazing combination. We have known this a very long time, Niner and Lenz found out years ago by jumping in early.

Coming back from Outerbike in Moab a few weeks ago was pretty eye opening to the fact many people liked the WFO9 better than all of the "new" 27.5" bikes in the same travel range.

Further, the WFO9 is winning "enduro" shootouts in Europe against very popular 27.5 bikes in the same travel category. One example is below.

It has become one of my favorite bikes.
    I TOTALLY agree with you!

I think some of the bikes mentioned in this thread are among the most awesome bikes on the market now, for any wheel size.

I think there are too many good things about 29ers, long, short or no travel, for any of them to disappear.

27.5 replaced 26, that's a done deal, but it won't replace 29, and 27.5 hysteria will balance out in the next year or two.

Similar to your comment, I tried all the coolest 27.5's but ended up buying a TBLTc.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    A WFO built up cheaply is basically a mini-DH bike fit for a grizzly bear - and built up with somewhat light parts (XT/X01 grouppo, fairly high end wheelset) and it's a threat for the perfect do-everything bike. In X01 factory spec, there's a reason that bike never places outside the to 5 in any group review I've found, no matter how many Enduro-specced 27.5 wonder-bikes get thrown into the mix.

I'm 6'2", so 29er is the right size for virtually everything, and anything 130-155mm travel feels amazing for where I ride (biggest differences are pedaling characteristics and geometry - small stuff). If I lived somewhere with bigger loamy terrain, I'd be on a WFO and not have a budget for a second bike. It was such a beast when I rode one, I just couldn't justify the complete price for something where I'd struggle to use that last inch of travel over my previous bike without killing myself in the process. I wound up buying a RockyMtn Instinct because the 950 trim is specced so well for the price, and I got a stellar deal on it. It's on the 'low' end of that travel, but the Horst-link type bikes feel bigger in terms of travel on big stuff (and also in terms of pedaling loss), so it really works.

The bigger question I'm trying to piece together is where exactly your other three bikes feel like there's room for another. That alone might be the most insightful (either trends about what you like, or just that you'll have all but one niche covered). With bikes like the LTc, used TranceX29's, WFO, Instinct, Mach4, BansheePrime, Burner, Enduro29/StumpyFSR-Evo, and Ripley out there, it's really hard to start shortening that list without more information. There are just so many excellent bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks.........some great suggestions. For sure want something 140mm min.......I want something very different from my 100mm Tallboy. One of the reasons I got rid of my SC Highball is the weight was "similar" to my Tallboy and never rode the thing.
    At least 140mm travel, cheap, used, and significantly different than your Tallboy? I'd just get a 26er. There aren't many 140mm+ 29ers out there, so they're definitely difficult to find used at a good price in your size.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast