mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Long Enduro on a xc hardtail

This is my first post! I'm just getting in to "hard core" mountain biking and going to do my first xc race/event. I'll be doing Paul's Dirty Enduro it's a 100 km ride in the Ganaraska forest. I'm in fairly good shape so i should fine but what should I buy or what will I need to make the ride easier? Thanks everybody!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Read the reviews of Trek Superfly 9.6,7 and 8 models on their site. These bikes(new this year) have excellent compliance for long distance comfort. The 9.6 is a bargain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I already have a bike a 2014 specialized rockhopper I was thinking upgrades accessories etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Which fork do you have? An Epicon off ebay if you have one of the 'X' forks.
    You can find out of what more you need by prerunning the course or a similar distance on your trails.

Short-Change-Hero
    Which version of the rockhopper do you have? And what is your budget for upgrades?
    Need a bit more information from you as your first post is kinda cryptic as to what you are looking for.

Race-wise, carbo load the night before, drink plenty of water and electrolytes beforehand.
    Morning of have a nice, rounded breakfast, nothing overly heavy though, and do some good stretching.
    Before the race I usually down a good electrolyte energy drink, have plenty of water on you for the race plus at least one bottle with electrolytes (doesn't have to be big), depending on how you do with hard output and eating I usually take something light that will give me some energy on the trail. I can't really eat the goo or the bites or whatever they are called but for me the HoneyStinger Waffles work great, light on the stomach and give me a decent amount of energy, most of all they as small so I can have a bunch on me if needed.
    Lastly, before your line comes up be sure to use the facilities, nothing worse than being halfway through your race and realizing you suddenly have to take a massive dump.
    After the race, keep drinking water, maybe throw a small bottle of electorlytes in there and see about a recovery drink.
    If you have never raced before this will really test you as you get into a different mode when racing against people. You will find that one person you will jockey with most of the race and the best thing you can do is keep it to YOUR pace.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    I already have a bike a 2014 specialized rockhopper I was thinking upgrades accessories etc.
    Sensible stuff to have on any long ride:

A spare (or a couple of spare) mech hanger(s) for your bike, order them from your nearest Specialized dealer or look online.

A spare mech that matches yours exactly is also useful to have around and an Alivio 9spd isn't too expensive to get a hold of either.

A spare 9spd Power Link for your chain, practice with it before hand so you know how to use it.

Spares tubes, even if you run tubeless you need spares tubes. Also a pump.

A Camelback or a couple of large water bottles to shove into your normal pack, for 100km you will need water and food (and probably a waterproof jacket, yay Onterrible!). I know that's obvious but I'm always bumping into people in the back of beyond who have no food, water or waterproof.

Some spare brake pads, or at least be sure ahead of time that your brake pads have lots of life left. 50k in is a bad time to hear metal on metal.

In the weeks/the month before the race make sure all the bearings (bb, headset etc) are good, if something is marginal get it replaced/repaired or sods law says it will fail half way round.

Also check the rules for required equipment, quite a lot of Enduros require gloves and kneepads before riders are allowed on the course, it's good to know that kind of stuff in advance.

Lastly, depending how much you have/want to spend, some new tyres could be useful. I know nothing about the Ground Controls on Rockhoppers but if they're heavy and/or don't grip very well then a set of decent xc tyres could make your life massively easier on a very long ride. If you get on well with the tires you have then keep them.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Maybe you meant "endurance" instead of "enduro"?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Yeah endurance not enduro. But I'm looking at a camelbak I road 90 km yesterday and ran out of water way too early