Slowly shrinking
    Apr 2009

litespeed obed 29er Size?

Hi....bit of advice.....I ride a Haro Mary xc 18" at the moment and love it....with 700c x 35 cross tires its ideal for some of my riding...(my Turner flux is looking sad in the corner ). I have been offered a good deal on a Litespeed obed 29er frame at my LBS and because of the amount of use I have given the Mary i have decided to buy... ...but not sure what size to order!...no chance of a test ride unfortunately.

My Mary has a 23.6 top tube which is about right with a 110 stem and 17deg salsa bars. I I would like to try a 11deg bar and shorter stem on the Litespeed though.

Mary standover height is 31.8....which is ok...ideally i would like another 1/2" or so....but its not an issue...I am 5ft 11.5"...32" in seam.

Cant find much on the net and Litespeed dont appear to list the 29er (or obed) on their site.....so any comments / help appreciated......
    Last edited by BIG666; 09-09-2010 at 02:38 AM.

Naturally Organic

Idea! Wrench Science

Not sure if the 2008 Obed 29er is the same geo...
    Probably fairly close...

Naturally Organic

Smile Large

Large w/ shorter stem & less sweep (85mm 11d) would give you similar geo to what you are currently riding...
    You could go 70 or 80mm...the choice is yours...
    The standover is 1.5" lower...your wish is granted...

Slowly shrinking
    Apr 2009

thanks

ooh that helps...thanks. Couldn't find any info anywhere!

Anyone riding one...size etc?

Naturally Organic

Cool-blue Rhythm Nice Bike!

BTW, very nice bike choice! That looks like a sweet ride. Have fun. Enjoy!
    Post pics when you get them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I had one a while back, and thought it was rubbish.

It was my first 29er, and I jumped in at the deep end buying an expensive frame without much info, which didn't help.

Issues I had - They made the chainstays quite chubby to stiffen it up, but in doing so compromised chainring clearance - with the BB spaced right over to the drive side, I still couldn't get a 34T in the middle ring position. Also, rear tyre clearance is pretty average as well - not only on the stays, but also on the front mech. The removable dropout system is a PIA, with bolts either rattling loose or seizing. The gusset on the headtube hit the lockout on the Fox fork too.

From memory the frame is based on an old reba fork with 38mm offset too, so doesn't handle too nicely with the newer gen forks.

That's all I can think of right now. Attached is a piccy of how I had it built up at one stage.

If it's any help, my Niner Air 9 rides just as well and handles like a demon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Slowly shrinking
    Apr 2009

Thanks monolith

Thanks monolith,,,,i think i read about you probs before. I will be using 80mm 08/09 (08 i think..not sure) Rebas off the mary so off set should be ok. I like a high Q chainset anyway and run thin tyres.....The fork clearance does bother me though ....I used to work in this business in the late 90's and saw far to much "high end fantastic crap"

mmmm............i noticed you used a king h/set as well...which is what I usually use....although I have a rather nice old skool WTB grease port H/set that might solve the problem.........but THATS the point........these problems shouldn't exist on an expensive frame

thanks for your info.....its difficult over here in the uk for 29ers......more of a limited choice.
    Last edited by BIG666; 09-09-2010 at 02:41 AM.

Naturally Organic

Cool-blue Rhythm Nice...

Quote Originally Posted by monolith
    I had one a while back...Attached is a piccy of how I had it built up at one stage.
    Bummer about all the probs...but that is still a fine looking ride...hope all the details can get worked out...

mtbr member
    I have a 2007 Obed 29er that I picked up from Jenson on a whim a while back.

I'm 6' / 33" inseam and my large fits me pretty well w/ a 90mm stem and a Ericksen setback seatpost.

Th rear tire clearance is not HUGE but it's better than the GF Paragon that it replaced, I run 2.2 in the rear on a Stans Arch rim with no rub.

Attached is an older picture when I first built it up, currently it has 2009 Reba Race set at 100mm, I do not notice any issues w/ the newer fork offset, this pic shows it w/ Velocity Blunts and a 2.1 tire.

I will try to post up a more recent pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails litespeed obed 29er Size?-obed_1.jpg  

Slowly shrinking
    Apr 2009

Nice.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tallsilver1
    I have a 2007 Obed 29er that I picked up from Jenson on a whim a while back.

I'm 6' / 33" inseam and my large fits me pretty well w/ a 90mm stem and a Ericksen setback seatpost.

Th rear tire clearance is not HUGE but it's better than the GF Paragon that it replaced, I run 2.2 in the rear on a Stans Arch rim with no rub.

Attached is an older picture when I first built it up, currently it has 2009 Reba Race set at 100mm, I do not notice any issues w/ the newer fork offset, this pic shows it w/ Velocity Blunts and a 2.1 tire.

I will try to post up a more recent pic.

Thanks....that looks great

I am a little smaller at 5' 11.5" and 32 " inseam.....but that looks about right ....i think a medium would have too much seat pin showing and I would probably need a 110 stem which i am trying to avoid on a 29er.

How much flex do you get in the rear end....i'm a powerfull rider.....erm ....lardy lad....lol

I have a retro kona hei hei KK that has zero flex when riding but still gives a lovely ride....unfortunately the arse up head down position is not really ideal now.... as a beer drinking curry eating 47 yr old

Have you had any of the chainset / fork catching problems?......monoliths frame looks smaller....so that might be the problem

I run 35/45 cyclocross tyres or 1.9's max so tyre clearance isnt an issue for me. ( gets a bit sketchy around the forests on the technical stuff sometimes though but I don't flat much 50/45psi so......)

Thanks for the input...and post more pics if you get time.

mtbr member
    IMO the frame is not flexy, this is my first Ti frame though, I think my Gunnar (steel) frame has a bit more give to it. I'm 205lbs BTW.

Slowly shrinking
    Apr 2009

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tallsilver1
    IMO the frame is not flexy, this is my first Ti frame though, I think my Gunnar (steel) frame has a bit more give to it. I'm 205lbs BTW.
    Any problems with the forks catching the downtube or headtube gussett?