mtbr member

Litespeed Obed 29er?

Anyone have one of these? Im curious as to if you like it or not. Im interested in getting one when I gain some funds

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I've got one. I got it for XC racing, and overall it's fine. A couple of gripes though - the lockout on Fox forks hits the downtube (Not an issue when riding, but when I put the bike in the back of the car it hits) and the chainstays are MASSIVELY wide. I had M970 XTR cranks fitted, and needed to space the BB over to the right as much as possible (2 spacers on the right, none on the left) so the chainrings would clear the stays. I;ve also had Middleburn RS7s which were OK, and tried to fit some Rotor Agilis cranks, but they wouldn't even go near it. I find the wide stays a very limiting factor in crank selection. A 2.4 Racing Ralph fits fine in the rear btw.

Geo is pretty good, but in all honesty the Giant XTC I rode recently felt better. The frame sizing is odd (super short seat tubes) meaning you can't run anything like a FSA Carbon post as they're only 350mm.

My largest issue has been trying to source parts - the driveside dropout was cross-threaded from new, and I've been waiting over 3 months for a replacement. Some of this is the local distributor not answering emails though - so I emailed Litespeed directly and they forwarded my email to the same dude, and what do you know - still no response.

I'd rate the frame a 7/10
    Value 4/10
    Customer service 2/10

I certainly wouldn't recommend one after the experience I've had, that's for sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    There are a LOT of people who will make a Ti 29er at a better price, that will ride better. Many small Ti builders are almost fanatical about 29ers. Do some homework and you'll probably find a better bike. I read somewhere that the Litespeed ship was sinking fast...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by C Dunlop
    There are a LOT of people who will make a Ti 29er at a better price, that will ride better. Many small Ti builders are almost fanatical about 29ers. Do some homework and you'll probably find a better bike. I read somewhere that the Litespeed ship was sinking fast...
    That wouldn't suprise me too much after my dealings with them. A good mate of mine had a Titus Fireline (A 26er, but we'll forgive him for that) made - from what I can tell he had excellent service and paid a similar (slightly cheaper) price for a custom frame.

mtbr member
    I love my Litespeed roadbike, but when I tried the Obed 29er, I just didn't feel right to me. Kind of cramped and not very nimble.

You may find otherwise, of course.

Not sure if Litespeed's quality had changed since I got my roadie, but if not, I can certainly vouch for their very high quality production!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany