mtbr member
    Aug 2011

lightweight tubes

can't find any existing threads to scour, so i'm putting it out there. in the quest for lighter rolling weight, does anyone run super light tubes? the Schwalbe 19a tubes seem pretty dam light, but i wonder if there is limitations in putting them in 2.4 tires. clearly you would run a bit higher pressure to avoid pinch flats. anyone with experience? thanks.

DynoDon
    I ride on Specialized Turbo ultralight tubes, they come pretalced, I'm not sure of the weight, but they work, I tried some Maxxis welterweight tubes, they were too light, BOOM I was on the side of the trail, the Turbo Ultralights have been great. I'm just over 200 lbs on a 25 lb Epic, I run 28 lbs rear/30 front, no problems in 2.2x29 Schwalbe Rocket Ron in tires, I've got carbon rims and don't plan on running any less psi, although I believe I could.
    Specialized Bicycle Components : Turbo Ultralight MTB Tubes w/ Talc
    Four wheels transport the body,

Two wheels transport the soul !!!!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    There is this method called tubeless? Maybe check that out. I hear it's pretty voodoo

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    can't find any existing threads to scour, so i'm putting it out there. in the quest for lighter rolling weight, does anyone run super light tubes? the Schwalbe 19a tubes seem pretty dam light, but i wonder if there is limitations in putting them in 2.4 tires. clearly you would run a bit higher pressure to avoid pinch flats. anyone with experience? thanks.
    I just put some Schwalbe tubes into some Ardents . Two rides on my new Chromag Surface so far and no problems. I'll post again if they don't do the job.

mtbr member
    I second scraping the tubes and going tubeless. My ezperience with very lightweight tubes (I used the Specialized Turbo's before) were that I got a flat on just about every ride. I had 1.9's inside 2.1's to shave a few ounces and stretch the tubes which made them even thinner. Not worth it. Go tubeless and FORGETABOUTIT!
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by givemefive View Post
    There is this method called tubeless? Maybe check that out. I hear it's pretty voodoo

Never work, 'tis a pipe dream.

AZ
    banned
    gack, cough... the whole constant tube less banter that dominates any discussion of wheels and tires makes me mental. it's almost impossible to get a review of a tire that focuses on performance of the tire, instead it's about how it fits on rims and accepts goops and potions. stop the insanity!!!

Got your flame suit on?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    gack, cough... the whole constant tube less banter that dominates any discussion of wheels and tires makes me mental. it's almost impossible to get a review of a tire that focuses on performance of the tire, instead it's about how it fits on rims and accepts goops and potions. stop the insanity!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I second Speccy turbo tubes.

ballbuster

Performance Bike....

... 26er Lunar Lites! 95 grams, cheap, work great.

Occasionally, they get a bad batch. I got a few with thin spots around the stem that tore. That was a few years ago, and I haven't had that issue since. As odd as it seems, they will take returns on innertubes.

I dunno... I did not have good luck with Tubeless. I only flat like once or twice a year anyway. Tubeless, if you use sealant and a rim strip, is not any lighter than Lunar Lites, and Lunar Lites are easy peasy reliable. Just be careful not to pinch them going in.

mtbr member
    Its much like someone in 2011 posting that their canti-brakes aren't stopping well enough. Disc brakes have fixed that problem. I agree that tubeless, in terms of weight, is probably a wash when compared to uber light tubes. Even more so if you have to run lots of tape a rubber strip. But, its proven technology at this point and works for allowing you to run low air-pressure and avoid pinch-flats in a lightweight package.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Bonty XXX lite 26er tubes, use them with Ardents and Gracias for the past couple of years with no probs. They've also got 48mm stems which work with Edge/Enve rims; ~92g

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    ... 26er Lunar Lites! 95 grams, cheap, work great.

Occasionally, they get a bad batch. I got a few with thin spots around the stem that tore. That was a few years ago, and I haven't had that issue since. As odd as it seems, they will take returns on innertubes.

I dunno... I did not have good luck with Tubeless. I only flat like once or twice a year anyway. Tubeless, if you use sealant and a rim strip, is not any lighter than Lunar Lites, and Lunar Lites are easy peasy reliable. Just be careful not to pinch them going in.
    Agreed on the lunar lights, although i do run tubeless but carry the LL as a spare.

I just checked performances website and don't see the tubes, they still making them ?

Flaccid Member
    Sep 2007
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB