mtbr member
    May 2006

Lightening a 2007 GF Ferrous 29

I'm picking up a new, left over 2007 GF Ferrous 29. I'm not a weight weenie, but I've read that the wheels on this bike are pretty heavy. One account was just a wheel swap and a cassette shaving 4 pounds off the bike!

Where would be some key places to shave some weight off the bike on a budget? I'm not really talking a few grams, major weight is what I'd be interested in. I can imagine swapping to an XT cassette would be a major weight advantage.

Would you go tubeless if you were swapping tires frequently? It will be a part time commuter so gooey tire swaps every weekend may suck. Would lightweight tubes be a better option to keep rotational mass down? I've never really been one to get flats, so that benefit of tubeless doesn't really concern me.

mtbr member
    I don't know too much about those stock wheels. I think the rear hub was the really heavy part but the rims were decent weight. Lighter hubs do lower the overall weight (of course!) but they have nearly the same effect as losing rotating weight further away from the axle (rims, tires, tube/tubeless). Hopefully someone else will post with more info about those wheels.

Anyway... if you have the money for a new wheelset I would do that. You could buy a nice light tubeless-ready set with good hubs for offroading and keep the commuter tires on your current wheelset. Then you just have to swap wheels to switch modes

Looking at the spec, you could also lose weight with good hydraulic brakes. BB7s are very nice but also pretty heavy without lots of tuning

No longer 26
    What are the stock wheels on it? If it is the Bontrager Race, the front wheel will be almost as light as their top end RaceXLite. The rear hub is heavy because of the steel cassette carrier. The rest of the wheel (rims, spokes, nips) is pretty light.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Maybe having the rear rim laced to a lighter hub could save some weight and money.

Sweep the leg!
    It's been a while since I've weighed my Ferrous but I think it's easily under 24#. But then I'm running the carbon Bontrager fork, King hubs/Ringle hubs on two sets of tubeless wheels, Hayes Carbons and it's set up single speed. There are other bits here and there that are lighter than stock too.

If you're going full-on noise-maker with the Reba and deraileurs then I have no idea what it'll weigh.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    From what I gather, they're about 30 stock. My biggest fear would most likely be rotational weight, but I've been using Rhyno Lites on all my bikes for years...

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by HatchetMan
    Where would be some key places to shave some weight off the bike on a budget? I'm not really talking a few grams, major weight is what I'd be interested in. I can imagine swapping to an XT cassette would be a major weight advantage.
    It's not cheap to do. So when I see reference to shaving weight on a budget, I always cringe hoping one's budget matches their desire to shave weight. You absolutely could shave 4 - 6 pounds off your bike with a few mouseclicks, but it will cost you. Less at the moment with the economic climate and deflating bike component prices on eBay.

Start with rotating weight from the outermost regions and work your way in. Tires, tubes, rims being the first place to start. Read the weight weenie FAQ found here:

The Official Weight Weenies F.A.Q

Saddle, seatpost, stem, bars, grips, brakes, drivetrain - it all adds up and can be chosen based on weight/performance.

BB
    The 14 warmest years have all occurred in the 16 years since 1997.