mtbr member
    Jun 2011

light and long travel

hey guys i am in the market for a new bike. i rode a friends 29er and dont want to go back to my 26er! I am looking at getting a bike with the most travel i can while also keeping it light (but carbon is out of my price range) can you guys help me out with some suggestions. I was looking at the kona hei hei delux, the khs sixfifty 656, and the yeti sb 95. Anything im missing considering?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LT

Team Velveeta™

Mammoth

Quote Originally Posted by 00shocker View Post
    ... Anything im missing considering?
    LenzSport Mammoth
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Compelling, and rich.
    What is your price range?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CasteelG View Post
    What is your price range?
    3000 or under

Compelling, and rich.
    Most bikes in that price range that are somewhat long travel are going to be in the 28-32lb range. Which isn't that light, but certainly isn't heavy.

The Santa Cruz Tallboy LT with the R-AM kit (140mm front/135mm rear), Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29 Comp (130 mm f/r), Trek Rumblefish/Rumblefish Elite (120mm f/r) and a few others that escape my mind currently are good options (Maybe a Niner RIP 9 of some sort?).

It's really a matter of testing as many bikes as possible and seeing what works best for you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    For the money, in your budget range, Stumpy 29er comp is going to be pretty good.
    Kona Satori should be in that price range as well but I think heavier. I don't think you can get a SB-95 for $3K.

I think you can get a Tomac Diplomat for that price range as well but also may be a tad heavier than the stumpy.

Team Velveeta™

Bontragers law of three's

Quote Originally Posted by 00shocker View Post
    3000 or under
    As Keith Bontrager famously said many years ago:

Light
    Cheap
    Strong

Pick two.

May not be perfectly applicable here, but let's replace "Strong" with quality-good design-durable. As CasteelG said, depends on what you mean by light, but a GOOD long travel 29er that is also what most people would call lightweight isn't going to be less than 3K. Maybe less than (but close to) 4K.

EDIT: I'm on a Tomac Diplomat. It's a 5+5 bike, is really a good one, great value (I think you could get into one with a decent spec for less than 3K), but it isn't light. Mine is 30+ lbs. And it isn't a cheapo build. Just average.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"