Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Let's see your Performance Access XCL 9r Build!

42K views 154 replies 53 participants last post by  allencb 
#1 ·
I got sick of searching for pictures when I was building mine... so lets put them in one place, shall we? ... inspirational pics for those who are building one up. Plus, I want to see yours so I can steal your ideas.

Here's mine, it's the 21" frame:

See less See more
#6 ·
I'm a little over 6'2",longish arms, riding the 21" frame. I actually ordered the 23" frame originally, and I sent it back because it seemed so rediculously huge. You gain way more height than you do length jumping from the 21 to the 23. I would definitely advise you to stay on the shorter side. I'm running mine with a super short stem, and I love the feel. I would think that I would be totally comfortable on mine if I was 6'4" with just a stem swap. Not worth the jump to the 23 because you pay for it in standover height and head tube length. Just my 2 cents...

#11 · (Edited)
It's a Dimension tensioner, basically the same as the Performance Forte brand item. I run a 32/26 up front, and a 16/20 in the back. The keeps the chain the same length between the mountain gear (46") and the road gear (65").

Since the chain has to move laterally to change gears, I took the bolt that holds the tension wheel in place and welded a washer to it, effectively creating a wing nut. This allows me to change gears, tool free. Here's a picture:

CommuterBoy said:
^^ What kind of tensioner were you using, and what size were your two front rings? I want to do 2x1 like that on my commuter..

#12 ·
Cool, thanks. I like that set-up. Didn't see the two gears out back. I want to keep a road double up front (50/36) and do a single cog out back. The only problem I'm having is that most tensioners can't make up for that huge of a difference in front chainrings. There are some two-pully options (pauls makes one) but they are pricy.

#13 ·
i changed a few things recently when i retired one of my bikes and put the parts on my access.

i am running a dingle like seat_boy. except that i run the torsion gear in the middle of the two rear gears and it can handle it no problem. i got about 1,000 miles of tough trail riding this way. front 32/36 rear 25/21. i can even cross chain it no problem.

i am switching over to a EBB and losing the tensioner soon.

a real added bonus of this frame is being to run 2.4 tires front and back. mega tire clearance.

#17 ·
rzims said:
here's mine - 18" frame - not a very compelling shot in the garage, but I'v eonly ridden it once so far on it's maiden voyage.
Isn't it just available in 17,19,21, and 23? I ordered a 17" frame and received a 23" frame. Holy smokes, that thing is huge!

I tried a 17" fully built bike in the store and it fit well, when the seatpost was at (or just beyond) full extension. I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam.

I'm jonesing to receive my frame. I have everything ready to build it into a 25.5 lb 1x9 29er.

#19 ·
OilcanRacer said:
i changed a few things recently when i retired one of my bikes and put the parts on my access.

i am running a dingle like seat_boy. except that i run the torsion gear in the middle of the two rear gears and it can handle it no problem. i got about 1,000 miles of tough trail riding this way. front 32/36 rear 25/21. i can even cross chain it no problem.

a real added bonus of this frame is being to run 2.4 tires front and back. mega tire clearance.
Never thought I'd see a 150 dollar frame with Edge wheels. I dig it, you've got your priorities straight. :thumbsup:

#20 ·
Square Taper Size?

Please help me...

I am in the process of building up an Access 9'er in 23".
I need to find a square taper bottom bracket for my build.

Does any one know what model square taper bottom bracket will fit?
I had a Shimano in my previous Gary Fisher.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

#21 · (Edited)
toddre said:
To you guys on a 21" frame....how tall are you? I'm about 6'4" with longish arms. ETT-wise my preference is right between the 21 and the 23. Can't decide whether to go long or stay on the shorter side.
6'2" on the 21" frame....the stock 120mm stem is going to be swapped for something a lil shorter soon. EDIT: Swapped stem for a 90mm and it felt pretty good on a road ride last night.

#22 ·
OilcanRacer said:

Nice wheels!! :thumbsup:

Matt

#24 ·
I love my Access 9er, but I'm looking for tires with a bit more volume to soften up the ride. Currently running 2.1 Schwalbe Alberts, which are light and fast. I want more cush, but not something that is way heavy (a little heft is okay). Riding mostly hardpack. Any suggestions?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.