Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Let's see your Performance Access XCL 9r Build!

42K views 154 replies 53 participants last post by  allencb 
#1 ·
I got sick of searching for pictures when I was building mine... so lets put them in one place, shall we? ... inspirational pics for those who are building one up. Plus, I want to see yours so I can steal your ideas.

Here's mine, it's the 21" frame:

See less See more
#151 ·
Here is a photo of my new 29er. I bought it on Craigslist for $100. It is an Access XCL 9r 9.5 (2010 I think) The rear wheel was out of true with loose spokes, a bent d/r hanger and a slashed tire. I fixed it up and outfitted with with a new tire/tube, chain and bash guard. I had an extra cassette and transferred over my favorite bar/stem and seat and she is ready to go! I made it s 2x9. It is my first 29er and it feels fast compared to my 2001 Specialized Enduro.

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Tire Bicycle frame Wheel

#152 ·
Here is a photo of my new 29er. I bought it on Craigslist for $100. It is an Access XCL 9r 9.5 (2010 I think) The rear wheel was out of true with loose spokes, a bent d/r hanger and a slashed tire. I fixed it up and outfitted with with a new tire/tube, chain and bash guard. I had an extra cassette and transferred over my favorite bar/stem and seat and she is ready to go! I made it s 2x9. It is my first 29er and it feels fast compared to my 2001 Specialized Enduro.

View attachment 997728
Great score and nice looking bike, mine still rides great! Too bad Performance raised the price on these after I bought mine, then lowered build specs all of which killed the great deal that they were. Ride on and enjoy it! :)

#153 ·
Here is an update. I have just added a Manitou Marvel Comp 120 mm travel fork. It is great! The longer fork makes the head angle now 69 degrees. The forks added offset makes for a nice balance of stability without being floppy. The red flat pedals are performance branded HT's. Light, grippy and cheap as hell ($32). I'm loving this bike!

Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel
Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim

#155 ·
Thread necro...

Anyone *still* riding their Access XCL? I don't ride as much as I did when I built it, but it still gets out and on the trails a few times a month. I looked up this thread because I couldn't remember when I built it and was kind of surprised that it had been 10 years.

Has anyone had any frame failures? If so, how long did you own it before it failed and what kind of riding do you subject it to? I do wonder if it's time to retire it, but I like it so much I'm not keen on the idea. I gave it a good cleaning and tune up (new chain, derailleur adjustment, brake bleed and new pads). The frame still looks good other than some chain slap on the chainstay and abrasion from the bike rack.

Chris

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.