Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
    I Ride for Donuts
    Recently SS'd the frame from the pic a few posts above in 'touring' mode... ratio is 34/20 and the tension is just about right with a pre-stretched (from another bike) 8 speed SRAM chain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your Performance Access XCL 9r Build!-picture4.jpg  

You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Recently SS'd the frame from the pic a few posts above in 'touring' mode... ratio is 34/20 and the tension is just about right with a pre-stretched (from another bike) 8 speed SRAM chain.
    Very nice, looked back through this thread but didn't see what brand rigid fork and A to C measuerment? Thanks. Miss my Haro Mary SS.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

I Ride for Donuts
    It's a Soul Cycles "Dillinger" fork, I think it's their 'generation 2' fork. It's steel. I don't know the A to C, sorry...but it's "suspension corrected" for 80mm of travel I think. They probably have the A to C info on their website. I actually bought it from Nitrousjunky here on the forum, maybe 3 years ago. It really works well with this frame in my opinion. Good feel.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Anybody in here ever run a double up front on their XCL 9r frame? I'm wanting to put a bashguard on mine after clipping the 42T ring more frequently than I'd like but I cant move my front derailleur low enough without the cage clipping the chainstay.

Thinking either 24/32 gearing (current) or preferably 24/36 if I can find a decent 36T ring.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Anybody in here ever run a double up front on their XCL 9r frame? I'm wanting to put a bashguard on mine after clipping the 42T ring more frequently than I'd like but I cant move my front derailleur low enough without the cage clipping the chainstay.

Thinking either 24/32 gearing (current) or preferably 24/36 if I can find a decent 36T ring.
    Been running 2x9 for a year or two and love it, just replaced my big ring with a bash guard like the one from my Haro Mary SS. Derailler stays where it's at, just set limit screw so it can't travel above middle ring.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz View Post
    Been running 2x9 for a year or two and love it, just replaced my big ring with a bash guard like the one from my Haro Mary SS. Derailler stays where it's at, just set limit screw so it can't travel above middle ring.
    Thanks for the heads up and a bummer because one of the main advantages of running a double is the quicker shifting and chain security you can achieve with a lower spaced front derailleur.

I Ride for Donuts
    I ran a road double on mine... 50/34 it was awesome for the commute. This was the chainstay clearance with the 50 tooth (with two spacers on the drive side)... ran it this way for 2 years with no issues

mtbr member
    So a lot of people said they didnt like the way this bike rode with 100mm fork when compared to the 80mm fork. Was it the extra length? Extra BB height?

Kinda wanting to drop an angleset in and slacken out the front end a bit. Right now the rear end feels really long relative to the front center and I feel like pushing the front wheel out a bit might help, especially since it'll keep the BB about the same height unlike running a taller fork.

I've just been spending too much time on my dirt jumper and 26" hardtail and wanting to make my 29er a little more playful feeling.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Started with a 120mm and then went to 100mm. Don't feel any need to go less than that. Definitely did not like it at 120mm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    Started with a 120mm and then went to 100mm. Don't feel any need to go less than that. Definitely did not like it at 120mm.
    Right on, thanks for the feedback. Was the steering sluggish at 120mm or did the bike feel like it had too much of a rearward weight bias? Kinda hard to isolate both sensations when you get the head angle and height increase from the taller fork.

I should clarify, this is a bike that is going to stay rigid, just trying to make the bike feel a little more aggressive these days and I feel like I'm weighted pretty far forward on the bike compared to slacker 26" bikes.

This one should press in and after the additional height of the external lower cup, will not affect the BB or handlebar height, just push the front wheel out ~16mm.
    1 5 Degree EC44 - EC44 - Angle Headset

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

I built this for my wife

It's custom powder coated Harley Davidson metallic orange with Circus Monkey orange hubs and Stan's gold anodized rims. This was taken last Spring. It's been further blinged out with more gold and orange parts now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your Performance Access XCL 9r Build!-p1000196.jpg  

mtbr member
    Looks wild!

How does your wife like it?

Perpetual n00b
    Wife's Access 29er at Levis

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

My wife is fond of the orange bike

She doesn't use it for off-roading much. I have a set of wheels with slicks and she uses it to take the kids to school. The bike gets a lot of attention in the neighborhood, the other moms are jealous. The times we've gone on mountain biking dates it's done pretty well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I just personally didn't like the way this bike rode. It fit great, the bike seemed to be very good at going fast in a straight line (I'm guessing the ST angle was pretty steep or something but it always felt like a bus.

I rode it with a Vassago ODIS fork and a Reba @100mm. Size 21".

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Two years later, mine is still going strong. I've upgraded the wheelset (Hope Pro 2 hubs and Stans Flow rims), and a few other bits since that first build.

Chris

Just hit it with speed
    Anyone on a 17". If so how tall are you and what's your inseam. Pulled the trigger on a 17" and hoping that I won't be disappointed.

I am 5'8ish (in shoes) and 29/30" inseam.
    Don't hate on the minivan!!!!!!!

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by GFisher2001 View Post
    Anyone on a 17". If so how tall are you and what's your inseam. Pulled the trigger on a 17" and hoping that I won't be disappointed.

I am 5'8ish (in shoes) and 29/30" inseam.
    Wife is 5'7" and she fits the 17" frame just fine.

Let's see your Performance Access XCL 9r Build!-ff0fa85cafa311e2bba622000a1fbc9c_7.jpg
    If you gorge yourself into morbid obesity, you can skip everyone else in line at Disney World.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the heads up and a bummer because one of the main advantages of running a double is the quicker shifting and chain security you can achieve with a lower spaced front derailleur.
    Buy a 2x specific front derailler should help that, I'll wear out the one it came with first though. Has not been any problem for me.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Right on, thanks for the feedback. Was the steering sluggish at 120mm or did the bike feel like it had too much of a rearward weight bias? Kinda hard to isolate both sensations when you get the head angle and height increase from the taller fork.

I should clarify, this is a bike that is going to stay rigid, just trying to make the bike feel a little more aggressive these days and I feel like I'm weighted pretty far forward on the bike compared to slacker 26" bikes.

This one should press in and after the additional height of the external lower cup, will not affect the BB or handlebar height, just push the front wheel out ~16mm.
    1 5 Degree EC44 - EC44 - Angle Headset
    Sorry for not replying sooner: It was both sluggish in the corners and got too light on steep climbs. Everything (for me) changed for the better by changing the travel to 100mm.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Sorry for not replying sooner: It was both sluggish in the corners and got too light on steep climbs. Everything (for me) changed for the better by changing the travel to 100mm.
    I didn't try 120mm, but 80mm stock was good, but not quite enough for some of the rougher trails. 100mm with a Reba has been just right.

mtbr member
    No worries. I never ended up getting the angleset, instead I scored a killer deal on a Banshee Paradox frame and moved a few parts over and sold my Access to a buddy wanting to get into mountain biking. So far we're both much happier. The Banshee was a night and day difference from the Access, definitely not as planted on the climbs with 140mm of travel up front but so much better all around.

Just hit it with speed
    Anyone replace the headset?

If so, which one, what brand and size?

Thanks for any info!
    Don't hate on the minivan!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    It takes a 44mm Zerostack headset. I'd highly recommend a Cane Creek ZS44 40-series headset. The 10 series is a lot cheaper but not as well sealed.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6