Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Master of Disaster
    Quote Originally Posted by BigVaz
    Are the logo's on these frames stickers or are they in the paint? Pretty sure im sold on buying one.
    Part of the powercoating. If you're buying a frame wait until a time when they're on sale for $99.

mtbr member
    How often do they go on sale? Im pretty antsy to pick one up & right now it would be $179.99... However $99.99 sounds a lot better! lol

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Not quite sure why they have the price jacked to the sky like they do compared to where it has been for a long time. Last time I checked, they only have the 21" and 23" frames (if you want a frame only) in stock.
    ==================
    I think they are supposed to be coming out with a newer model soon, but from what I could glean from the pics posted a while back, it looked a lot like the same frame with a different paint scheme.

Master of Disaster
    Quote Originally Posted by BigVaz
    How often do they go on sale? Im pretty antsy to pick one up & right now it would be $179.99... However $99.99 sounds a lot better! lol
    How often? At least several times a year. If you're antsy, then I'd just do it now and keep tabs on the price. You've got 90-days for them to honor a low-price guaranty when it does go on sale:

100% Satisfaction Guarantee & Low Price Promise
    http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...1_-1_Guarantee

It'd be pretty cool to have the frame you want now AND also later get the price you wanted. For instance, instead of me buying a XCL 9.5 for $600 last year, I should have just bought the 9.7 for $999 and then a month later price-matched to the sale price of $800. I hadn't thought it through at the time though. Instead, over time, I've upgraded my bike to be a little better than the 9.7 but it cost me $1,500 total to do it.

mtbr member
    Im looking at just the 21" frame only.

Originally I was going to purchase a complete bike with a budget around $1,100ish, but figured building from scratch with the exact components I want would be more benificial. Plus I like building stuff,,

Bloated Cubs Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Clones123
    How often? At least several times a year. If you're antsy, then I'd just do it now and keep tabs on the price. You've got 90-days for them to honor a low-price guaranty when it does go on sale:

100% Satisfaction Guarantee & Low Price Promise
    http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...1_-1_Guarantee

It'd be pretty cool to have the frame you want now AND also later get the price you wanted. For instance, instead of me buying a XCL 9.5 for $600 last year, I should have just bought the 9.7 for $999 and then a month later price-matched to the sale price of $800. I hadn't thought it through at the time though. Instead, over time, I've upgraded my bike to be a little better than the 9.7 but it cost me $1,500 total to do it.
    Clones, you just got me back $200! I didn't realize they would price match themselves. Thanks for the link.
    I said, "Do you speak-a my language?" He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich...

mtbr member
    reviving this one! any new pictures! need some inspiration to finish up mine, all it needs is a fork, some flat black spray paint (maybe) and a set of pedals. inspire me please.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    I found 100 was too much as well...I went to 80 and it rides just right (note, I have a 39mm offset fork)
    Been riding the whee out of my Access 9.7, just trimmed my bars down to 26" (660mm) and love it. Also ditched the big ring for a bashguard running 2x9.

Was looking at this bike and my Mary last night...thinkin about dropping my Tora to 80mm. What do you like better about 80mm vs 10mm on this bike? Did you raise bars to compensate? How does it affect the ride and handling?

FYI, I weigh 195 but run only 115psi in the fork and really like it this way for more sag, it handles better and tracks more predictably in the rough. I think because it has more down travel to drop into the holes, not just compress for the bumps.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    think i'm going 100 on mine. probably manitou tower

R.I.P. DogFriend
    If you ride a lot of slower, really tight, twisty, 'switchback-ish' type stuff, I would consider an 80mm travel fork, but if you ride higher speed, more open terrain, the 100mm travel fork I am running kicks butt and it's fine on steep climbs (and we've got 'em around here too).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    If you ride a lot of slower, really tight, twisty, 'switchback-ish' type stuff, I would consider an 80mm travel fork, but if you ride higher speed, more open terrain, the 100mm travel fork I am running kicks butt and it's fine on steep climbs (and we've got 'em around here too).
    yeah it's weird because here in south florida we don't have anything vast, it's almost all tight and switch-backy, but the thing is that it's all roots and rocks and weird drops so the 100 helps. (rockin 120 on the rumblefish!) all the forks i'm looking at are adjustable from 80 so i may try both setups.

Master of Disaster
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4runner
    - '11 GF Rumblefish One
    - Access 9r (build in progress).
    Just curious - What is it about your 2011 Rumblefish 1 that leave's you wanting to build a 29er HT? I've got a Access 9r myself and, seems to me, that if I got a Rumblefish I'd be pretty stoked to have that instead. On the other hand, I've only ever taken various full squish bikes for short, 20-min trail demos so maybe I'm not fully appreciating what I have already.

Just received a 2010 Easton Haven Disc 29er UST wheelset tonight for under $400. Woot!
    I'm gonna miss me when I'm gone.
    IMBA member #234701

mtbr member
    I wish they had more sizes in stock.. I need something along the lines of a 19" and they site only has like 21" and 23"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clones123
    Just curious - What is it about your 2011 Rumblefish 1 that leave's you wanting to build a 29er HT? I've got a Access 9r myself and, seems to me, that if I got a Rumblefish I'd be pretty stoked to have that instead. On the other hand, I've only ever taken various full squish bikes for short, 20-min trail demos so maybe I'm not fully appreciating what I have already.

Just received a 2010 Easton Haven Disc 29er UST wheelset tonight for under $400. Woot!
    the RF is a lot of bike for some of the parks i ride... here are a ocuple reasons

-had almost a whole bike laying around (just needed frame and fork)
    -want a singlespeed (will be set up for SS and 1x9)
    -want something to put platfporms on and use here and there as a commuter while still being able to MTB with it
    -wanted another bike for the 10 or so people i know that want to "try" MTB
    -HT's CLIMB! puts you closer to the trail, FS riding makes me lazy, a lot of "sit and roll over"

so, since i had all components minus a frame and fork, and i found this frame for $99, and the frame has awesome reviews, i couldn't resist.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Reba
    Thomson post
    Bontrager RL stem/bars
    Juicy 7 brakes
    XT cranks w/ 36t front ring
    Specialized Indie xc seat
    Stock specialized rear wheel

After the first ride, I don't love it but I definitely don't hate it. Still have some fine tuning to do, and trying to get used to riding gears again after a long term hiatuSS.

mtbr member
    i'll be posting up next week, ordered my fork!

Lurker
    May 2008
    I'm really considering building up one of these for a neighborhood beater w/ platforms & a rigid fork.

I've got almost everything I need to do it with the exception of the frame and fork.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty2Hotty
    You bastard.
    Quote Originally Posted by MyMilkExpired View Post
    You bastard

Mythical Creature

Economy SS Racer

I bought the frame on blowout last year - on sale for $99 plus a 10% discount. For the money, it's a great deal. Throw in a friends old REBA, some choice parts from my old XC racer, and presto! Nice ride. FWIW I initially threw a 465 axle-to-crown rigid fork on and the handling was terrible, and the BB clearance too low, AND the rear end would not stick all that well. The longer squishy fork cured all those ailments, and helps these old-guy hands. I had a lot of parts ready-to-go from my trusty old Yeti ASR-sl, and recycled my CK hubs by building the wheels - Stans Crest hoops, DB spokes, and alloy nipples. Light, snappy wheels go a long way! Note the "road cranks" - a set of FSA compact cranks and a dedicated SS 34t chain-ring. Typical gearing is 34 X 18 or 34 X 19 on steeper terrain.

follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    I bought the frame on blowout last year - on sale for $99 plus a 10% discount. For the money, it's a great deal. Throw in a friends old REBA, some choice parts from my old XC racer, and presto! Nice ride. FWIW I initially threw a 465 axle-to-crown rigid fork on and the handling was terrible, and the BB clearance too low, AND the rear end would not stick all that well. The longer squishy fork cured all those ailments, and helps these old-guy hands. I had a lot of parts ready-to-go from my trusty old Yeti ASR-sl, and recycled my CK hubs by building the wheels - Stans Crest hoops, DB spokes, and alloy nipples. Light, snappy wheels go a long way! Note the "road cranks" - a set of FSA compact cranks and a dedicated SS 34t chain-ring. Typical gearing is 34 X 18 or 34 X 19 on steeper terrain.

this post answered so many of my questions. i just bought a rigid fork for mine so that lets me know what to expect. also wanted to cinsider running SS without a tensioner so this gives me a starting point to figure out the "magic ratio" so to speak. any pictures of the chain side?

Lurker
    May 2008
    It looks like Performance is having a Memorial Day sale and everything is 15% off through Monday, 5/30.

That gets the Access 29er frame down to $101.99.

I think I'm buying one.
    You bastard.
    You bastard

mtbr member
    Looking good guys!!! Here's mine with the Stans Fows...

Lurker
    May 2008
    Okay... I just ordered a 21" frame and a Soul Cycles rigid fork (100mm corrected).

I'm actually building this because I have a set of Schwalbe Big Apples laying around and I want a neighborhood beater bike.

In the parts bin I have:
    • Tires (a few sets of assorted tires, including the Big Apples)
    • Wheels
    • 8 speed derailleur, shifter & cassette (7/8 Speed Shimano Alivio)
    • 9 speed cassette SRAM 950, nearly new (no shifter or derailleur)
    • F & R brake levers
    • Front Avid BB5
    • A few different saddles
    • A few different sets of grips
    • Crap plastic platforms

What I need:
    • Bar & Stem
    • Seatpost
    • Single speed crank (for 1x8 setup)
    • 8 speed chain
    • New brake cable & housing

Optional (if I can find them dirt cheap)
    • 9 speed shifter, derailleur & chain
    • Rear brake (I'll eventually upgrade my Specialized and carry the BB5 from that to this)
    • Nicer headset
    • Decent metal platforms, maybe Power Grips

If I can play my eBay, Craigslist & Classified cards right I'll be able to build this thing for under $350 including frame & fork.
    Last edited by NUTT; 05-25-2011 at 01:08 PM.
    You bastard.
    You bastard

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NUTT

What I need:
    [*]Nicer headset

If I can play my eBay, Craigslist & Classified cards right I'll be able to build this thing for under $350 including frame & fork.
    I found a WTB Inner Peace Headset...very nice headset BTW...on chainlove for 15.99. Good Luck and hope you have fun with the build...I know I did...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NUTT
    Okay... I just ordered a 21" frame and a Soul Cycles rigid fork (100mm corrected).

I'm actually building this because I have a set of Schwalbe Big Apples laying around and I want a neighborhood beater bike.

In the parts bin I have:
    • Tires (a few sets of assorted tires, including the Big Apples)
    • Wheels
    • 8 speed derailleur, shifter & cassette
    • 9 speed cassette (no shifter or derailleur)
    • F & R brake levers
    • Front Avid BB5
    • A few different saddles
    • A few different sets of grips
    • Crap plastic platforms

What I need:
    • Bar & Stem
    • Seatpost
    • Single speed crank (for 1x8 setup)
    • 8 speed chain
    • New brake cable & housing

Optional (if I can find them dirt cheap)
    • 9 speed shifter, derailleur & chain
    • Rear brake (I'll eventually upgrade my Specialized and carry the BB5 from that to this)
    • Nicer headset
    • Decent metal platforms, maybe Power Grips

8 and 9 speed derailleurs are the same thing. All you should need is a new shifter

Lurker
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    8 and 9 speed derailleurs are the same thing. All you should need is a new shifter
    This one is a 2008 Shimano Alivio RD-M410.

I'm pretty sure it is old & crappy enough that it is 7/8 speed only. At least that is what the Shimano website says.

And honestly, it is garbage. If I could find a new or take-off SRAM X7 or X9 rear shifter & derailleur set for $50 or so I'll be much happier.
    You bastard.
    You bastard

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast