Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by davidcondor
    You are an inspiration to us all! I have been intrigued with the fat front for a while now, especially upon seeing how Jeff Jones has taken to it with his bikes. I am eager to learn what your impressions are . . . How does it compare to a rigid 29" front - or a suspended one for that matter? It seems to me that it's theoretically a happy medium between the two; a way to keep the rigid feel while increasing comfort and traction. Would you recommend it to the average trail rider, or does it make sense only in certain conditions?

Thanks for sharing your unique 9r!
    What you said above hits the mark:
    "...a way to keep the rigid feel while increasing comfort and traction."

Compared to my other rigid 29ers with 29" tires, there's more traction, cush, bounce and weight. If going fast is your primary concern, stick with the regular 29" wheel. If you like rock crawling or staying afloat on soft stuff, get one.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    May 2010

Desert Dweller

[QUOTE=J_DiMiceli]My Access 9.7. I guess she's technically bought and not built.

No shame in that my friend! How long have you had 'er?

Looks like you're in the Sonoran desert, yes? Reminds me of the treasure island trails I rode a couple winters ago when I was visiting my folks in Tucson. So fun! I dream sometimes of a good desert ride . . .

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    [QUOTE=davidcondor]
    Quote Originally Posted by J_DiMiceli
    My Access 9.7. I guess she's technically bought and not built.

No shame in that my friend! How long have you had 'er?

Looks like you're in the Sonoran desert, yes? Reminds me of the treasure island trails I rode a couple winters ago when I was visiting my folks in Tucson. So fun! I dream sometimes of a good desert ride . . .
    I've had the bike for about a month. That picture was taken out at Fantasy Island in Tucson. Desert riding is all I've known. I love it but I definitely want to get some other types of terrain under my belt.

mtbr member
    May 2010

Not Disneyland . . .

I forgot it's called Fantasy Island. But anyway somehow I knew that was where the picture was taken, even though I've only been there once. The desert's in my blood though (I lived in Phoenix and Tucson for 25 years before moving to northern California - wasn't a mountain biker then). If you ever want to get some Redwood duff between your knobs, come on up to Arcata and find me at The Outdoor Store!

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    What you said above hits the mark:
    "...a way to keep the rigid feel while increasing comfort and traction."

Compared to my other rigid 29ers with 29" tires, there's more traction, cush, bounce and weight. If going fast is your primary concern, stick with the regular 29" wheel. If you like rock crawling or staying afloat on soft stuff, get one.
    Went on a ride today with wife and pal and got a chance to take a better pic of the bike:

and an actiony shot:

"Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    May 2010
    That's what it's all about: boppin' off roots and havin' fun gettin' a little squirrely!
    By the way, I tried to copy you by applying reflective tape to strategic locations on my toptube, but it wouldn't stick 'cause it's like seven years old. gotta get some new reflective tape, cuz I'm just not down with the red logos. Gotta love the downtube logo, though!!!

mtbr member
    Here is my Access 9r. This is my commuter/grocery getter/errand running/"do I have to go for a road ride?" bike. It is setup as 1x8 because thats what I had laying around. I will change up my gearing this winter from the 39x13-26 as the slightest tailwind has me spun out. It seems as if 41 or 42 is as big as I will be able to go and clear the chain stay and maintain a decent chainline. And I'll probably try an 11-25 cassette. Those are BB7's and a Redline CX fork. I have panniers that go on when I anticipate a larger cargo. Not much bling but it does what I want and it doesn't break!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your Performance Access XCL 9r Build!-access_9r.jpg  

Last edited by slower_than_u; 10-23-2010 at 12:19 PM.

mtbr member
    I bought a Access about 3 weeks ago. Used a couple discount card from Performance and got it for 92 dollars and some change. I'm 6' 4" and I talked to a Performance rep and they recommended the 23. When I go the frame out of the box I thought I was shipped a frame for Shaq. MAN it is big, I hope not to big. As soon as I get a fork I will find out. The thing is the bike I had before (Fisher Cobia) was a 19. Too small. Now I have a bike that maybe to big. A stem can get the fit closer. I hope the stand over isn't to tall that could get painful.
    Comas aren't as fun as riding your bike, so wear a Helmet.

mtbr member
    May 2010

Check out my new 9r . . .

more pics soon . . .
    Last edited by davidcondor; 11-08-2010 at 04:30 PM.

mtbr member

Build setup?

I have my 19" Access frame that I got new for $90 hanging in the basement. I've been considering building this up or going with a new FS... but not sure which to do. I was really beaten up racing the VT 50 on my Caffeine 26" hardtail last month and vowed I would never go hardtail again. But looking at these pics and posts has me thinking different. I would probably only do a few races and would have it mostly for trail riding. I definitely want to go with ZRT wheels and either 1x10 or 2x10. Does anyone have positive feedback with using 1x10 or even 1x9 over a traditional double or triple setup?
    14 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    07 Rocky Mtn Solo
    00 GT Pro Performer

Rebuild it with RWC!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker
    I would probably only do a few races and would have it mostly for trail riding. I definitely want to go with ZRT wheels and either 1x10 or 2x10. Does anyone have positive feedback with using 1x10 or even 1x9 over a traditional double or triple setup?
    First of all, forget about a triple. Running a double set-up makes much more sense if you're doing trail riding on a 29er. You don't need that big ring unless you're spending a lot of time on the pavement. Beyond that, though, exactly which gears you should run will come down to the type of terrain you ride and your own preferences. If the terrain is rolling with short climbs, a 1x9 would work great. I'm just not willing to give up the granny myself. I ride a lot of steep terrain, and I like to spin pretty fast, so I run a 20/32t double and a 12-36 9speed cassette. My medium cage xtr rear derailleur works great with this gearing and keeps things snappy. Most of the new 10 speed doubles run larger chainrings, like a 28/39 set up, so consider whether or not this makes sense for you.

trail rat
    I know, holy thread resurrection batman.

I am seriously considering one of these so I have a bike I like to ride instead of one that is a struggle climbing...... Unemployed and money is squeaky tight, but I can sell something and swing it.

Searched here and great Googly-moogly, finding no answers to the BB height of the 21 with a 100mm fork.

Can anyone / everyone measure for me?
    Please post the fork and the tires when measured.

TIA
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    I know, holy thread resurrection batman.

I am seriously considering one of these so I have a bike I like to ride instead of one that is a struggle climbing...... Unemployed and money is squeaky tight, but I can sell something and swing it.

Searched here and great Googly-moogly, finding no answers to the BB height of the 21 with a 100mm fork.

Can anyone / everyone measure for me?
    Please post the fork and the tires when measured.TIA
    12" BB ht (measured from center of BB to ground) on a 21" w/ Tora SL 100mm, and 2.2 Saguaros. Rides nicely.
    "Caught my first tube this morning....sir!"

mtbr member
    Finished my build 'bout a month ago and put 'bout 100 miles on her since. This bike has transformed me into a full fledged 29er rider...my 26" bike hasn't left the garage since. I'm in the process of going tubeless with ZTR Flow's...will post pic's soon...

[IMG][/IMG]

Master of Disaster
    Quote Originally Posted by speed metal
    I'm 6' 4" and I talked to a Performance rep and they recommended the 23. When I go the frame out of the box I thought I was shipped a frame for Shaq. MAN it is big, I hope not to big. As soon as I get a fork I will find out. The thing is the bike I had before (Fisher Cobia) was a 19. Too small. Now I have a bike that maybe to big. A stem can get the fit closer. I hope the stand over isn't to tall that could get painful.
    I've been burned twice before with bikes that didn't have enough stand-over (but cockpit length felt great). I've vowed never to make that mistake again - better too short of a cockpit which I can change with a new stem and bars. Can't shorten a frame. I know this is contrary to popular wisdom (saying that cockpit length is more important than stand-over). I'm just a shade under 6'2" and my 19-inch XCL 9r fits great though I'm running a longish 110mm stem.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker
    Does anyone have positive feedback with using 1x10 or even 1x9 over a traditional double or triple setup?
    I'm been extremely pleased with the simplicity and reliability of running 1x9 with a Paul Love Components Chain Keeper (35mm seat post on the XCL 9r). I've got the stock 32t front and 11-32t rear but I think I'd prefer a 30t front and 11-34t rear. Regarding 1x10, I'm a little put off by how flexible (sideways) 10-speed chains are. Plus, older 9-speed parts are cheaper and easier to find deals on. My two cents.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by go-pirates
    12" BB ht (measured from center of BB to ground) on a 21" w/ Tora SL 100mm, and 2.2 Saguaros. Rides nicely.
    Thanks! Thinking that seems a little low, just to clarify, you mean the center of the bottom bracket axle to the ground, right?

My calculations with the BB drop specs are that it should be around 12.5 give or take a quarter inch, but I like a lower BB for climbing, do I am fine if it is really 12 inches.

Anyone else? Everyone must be out playing with the holiday huh?
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    May 2010

yes, it really is twelve inches . . .

I just whipped out my 9r and grabbed the tape measure and yes, it is 12 inches from center to ground. Actually, 11+7/8" to be exact. Granted, I'm running a rigid fork (Carver carbon, sus. corrected) and Maxxis Ardent 2.4 tires. For what it's worth. I love the low bb, even with my 185mm cranks.

I just got out for an epic ride through the redwoods yesterday, and the bike rode like a stallion. West ridge trail, Prairie Creek state park, Humboldt County, California.

mtbr member
    In the car now but later ill combine my access thread with this one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    Thanks! Thinking that seems a little low, just to clarify, you mean the center of the bottom bracket axle to the ground, right?

My calculations with the BB drop specs are that it should be around 12.5 give or take a quarter inch, but I like a lower BB for climbing, do I am fine if it is really 12 inches.

Anyone else? Everyone must be out playing with the holiday huh?
    Yep, center of BB axle is what I meant. I think it handles great, and pedal strikes have been a non-issue for me.
    "Caught my first tube this morning....sir!"

mtbr member
    here's my thread i started. OP if you want add this link to your first post, i'll do the same over there so if anyone finds either thread they have a link to the other access 9r pictures please!

Master of Disaster
    Here's my 2010 Access XCL 9r 9.5. It’s ridiculous how few original parts I have left on it - I should have just bought a 9.7 model to begin with. Over the past year I’ve upgraded every component except the wheelset, tires, rear shifter/derailleur, and frame. You’d almost think I had a “problem” (especially if “you” is my wife):
    • Headset: FSA Orbit ZS-3
    • Pedals: Fort Convert Platform pedal
    • Handlebar: TruVativ Stylo 680mm (26.75in), 20mm rise
    • Stem: TruVativ Stylo Race 110mm with 31.8 clamp
    • Grips: Ergon GC2-L
    • Saddle: WTB Speed V Comp
    • Fork: RST M-29 100mm air fork
    • Brakes: Shimano XT M775 with 203/180mm F/R rotors
    • 1x9 conv: Paul Love Components Chain Keeper (35mm)
    • Crankset: Shimano Deore M590 Hollowtech II with external BB (32T middle ring only)

Last edited by Clones123; 03-09-2011 at 05:36 PM.

mtbr member
    All mine needs is a fork and its trail time!

mtbr member
    what are the pinions on running a rigid fork with this frame? im 260#. want a rigid 29er dingle speed with rack for bike packing. any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Here's mine

It started out with having an extra fork and needing something to do with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your Performance Access XCL 9r Build!-dsc_0010.jpg  

mtbr member
    Are the logo's on these frames stickers or are they in the paint? Pretty sure im sold on buying one.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast