Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX
    2.25 or 2.40 Racing Ralphs...
    Sounds good. No issues with fit for the 2.4's, then?
    "Caught my first tube this morning....sir!"

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    I don't ride Access 9er but I've heard they'll handle it Look at post 19...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by go-pirates
    Sounds good. No issues with fit for the 2.4's, then?
    I'm running WTB 2.55 Weirwolfs with no clearance issues.

I Ride for Donuts
    Well I liked my Access so much I built another one for the commute... running 2.35 Big Apples, fenders are in the mail. It will clear them no problem. Here are the twins.

You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    I picked up my new Access XCL 9.7 a couple of weeks ago. Only ridden it on short hops so far mainly due to the heat. Its friggin hot here. Going fishing all next week but plan on putting it through its paces when I return. So far though I love this bike. Very impressed so far. Handles well. Fits well. I'll post a complete review along with pics sometime in Sept.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I started with my new 2010 Access XCL 9.5 Slate/19 then went a little nuts on the "upgrades" but got everything relatively cheap and resold the parts I replaced so really didn't end up spending that much more. Anyway, I'm happy with it. Here's what I added. The last picture is my old Trek 800 in front of the Access 29er.

RockShox Tora TK Fork
    Cane Creek ZS-3 Headset
    Shimano SLX FC-M660 175mm Crankset
    Avid BB7 Brakes
    MKS Lambda Pedals
    ODI Rogue Grips
    Lizard Skins Chainstay Guard
    Forté Men's Softail Saddle
    Forté Quick Release Seatpost Collar

Short-Change-Hero
    Can't wait to get mine in the next month or so. Sucks that the price just went up to $129?! Hopefully that just means they have a new model coming out.

mtbr member

Just finished!

Here is my Performance Access 9r 1x9 budget build that I just finished up last night! Some parts came from Jenson, CRC, and CL.

Took me approximately 1 year to build up. Scrapping for the best deals or what I thought was the best deal took some time. Wohoooooo, now I just need to go ride the dang thing.

All parts were new except for the fork, wheelset, seat, and grips.

Frame: Performance Access 9r 17 inch: $75
    Fork: 2007 Rockshox Reba 29er: $120
    Wheelset: Mavic TN719 w/ XT hubs: $140.00
    Crankset: Shimano SLX: $128.00
    Cassette: Shimano XT M770: $53.00
    Shifters: Shimano SLX M660: $70.00
    Rear Deraileur: Shimano XT M772: $71.00
    Chain: Shimano XT HG93: $24.00
    Headset: Canecreek ZS-3: $44.25
    Handlebar: Truvativ Stylo Team: $19.33
    Stem: Truvativ Stylo Team: $32.67
    Seatpost: Truvativ Stylo Team: $37.33
    Seat Collar: Thomson: $29.00
    Brakes: Avid BB7 160mm F&R: $104.00
    Tires: Continental Mtn King F&R: $68.00
    Tubes: $6.00
    Cables: Kore: $40.00
    Seat: Had one laying around

So this build came out to about $1060.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your Performance Access XCL 9r Build!-img_0833.jpg  

Let's see your Performance Access XCL 9r Build!-img_0835.jpg  

Let's see your Performance Access XCL 9r Build!-img_0838.jpg  

Let's see your Performance Access XCL 9r Build!-img_0837.jpg  

Short-Change-Hero
    Dude I really hope that the access frame gets down that low again!!!!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by James12345
    Here is my Performance Access 9r 1x9 budget build that I just finished up last night! Some parts came from Jenson, CRC, and CL.

Took me approximately 1 year to build up. Scrapping for the best deals or what I thought was the best deal took some time. Wohoooooo, now I just need to go ride the dang thing.

All parts were new except for the fork, wheelset, seat, and grips.

Frame: Performance Access 9r 17 inch: $75
    Fork: 2007 Rockshox Reba 29er: $120
    Wheelset: Mavic TN719 w/ XT hubs: $140.00
    Crankset: Shimano SLX: $128.00
    Cassette: Shimano XT M770: $53.00
    Shifters: Shimano SLX M660: $70.00
    Rear Deraileur: Shimano XT M772: $71.00
    Chain: Shimano XT HG93: $24.00
    Headset: Canecreek ZS-3: $44.25
    Handlebar: Truvativ Stylo Team: $19.33
    Stem: Truvativ Stylo Team: $32.67
    Seatpost: Truvativ Stylo Team: $37.33
    Seat Collar: Thomson: $29.00
    Brakes: Avid BB7 160mm F&R: $104.00
    Tires: Continental Mtn King F&R: $68.00
    Tubes: $6.00
    Cables: Kore: $40.00
    Seat: Had one laying around

So this build came out to about $1060.
    Well done. Impressive build for the money spent.

mtbr member

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    Well done. Impressive build for the money spent.
    Thanks! It wasn't easy. There were times where I just wanted to say screw it and go buy a fully built bike. But I always came to the realization that I wanted to ride something that i built from the ground up.

Off topic if anybody was curious or looking for a new chainstay wrap for their rig, Home Depot has this 3M Self Sticking Splice Tape for like $2.50. It works great. Only sticks to itself and thus will not leave a nasty residue on your frame afterwards. Only brought it up because this was the first time I had used it and it came out fantastic.

mtbr member
    I was wondering about that tape. Which department did you find it in? They tend to spread their tape displays around according to application in our local store.

Nice build James. Pretty rewarding building it yourself huh? Now....get us a ride report.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Build Spec:
    Performance Access XCR 9r frame (19" size)
    Voodoo rigid 29er fork
    Weyless 90mm 7deg stem (parts bin)
    Control Tech Scandium riser bars (parts bin)
    Avid Juicy 7 brakes with 203mm and 180mm rotors
    XT/Blunt wheelset (purchased "lightly used" with the Karma tires)
    Karma Kenda 2.2 tires
    Selle San Marko Ponza saddle
    Easton seatpost (parts bin)
    Shimano 105SC derailleur from the parts bin (18 years old! soon 2b replaced with Ultegra 6600 derailleur)
    Shimano LX Rapidfire shifter
    Sram 970 11-32 9spd cassette
    Sram chain
    Middleburn 180mm crankset with 34t ring, BBG guard, and SPD clone pedals (stolen from my SS)
    Shimano UN-54 BB

I have less invested in this bike than a Niner frame, what I originally planned to buy, would cost alone. Total weight is 26.4lbs and could go lighter with a better fork and wheelset. Apologies for the cruddy pic, it was a crop from a much larger image.

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your Performance Access XCL 9r Build!-29er.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmtx77
    I was wondering about that tape. Which department did you find it in? They tend to spread their tape displays around according to application in our local store.

Nice build James. Pretty rewarding building it yourself huh? Now....get us a ride report.

It was actually in the electrical section of Home Depot where you would find the electrical tape. Some call it self-sticking, but others may call it self-fusing. It is 3M Temflex 2155 Self-fusing Splicing Tape.

It took a few hours for the adhesive to cure. After this point, it is very difficult to pull or unravel the tape job. Will have to carefully cut it off with a razor and carefully pull it apart when you need to replace it. But this stuff so far rawks, it conforms to minor changes in angles making wrapping your chainstay a cinch!

Just wanted to give credit where it is due. I did not find this solution independently, but got ideas from postings on bikeforums.net

Hope this helps!

Short-Change-Hero
    Nice builds guys... I am waiting for the 19" to come back into stock.
    If I can ask a favor, please post the specs of your bike when you post the pic. Also, I am curious as to everyone's feelings on their forks. I have seen a lot of Reba's and Tora's on these and wondering how people feel about them? Looking at picking up the RST M-29 fork as a base but if I can find a good deal on a Reba, Tora, or Fox from fleabay then I will pick that up. The 19" has been out of stock since the middle of Sept (was going to grab one for my bday but they were out) and now is completely gone from the site. I am wondering if they will be coming out with a redesigned frame or something around the end of the year?

Former Bike Wrench
    Here is the latest on my XCL 9r, I'm giving some Alt bars a try due to continuing hand issues...I'll provide feedback on those as I get some time with them. I had to install new hydro line, it's orange because that was what was on clearance (well pink too).

mtbr member
    May 2010

9r coming in the mail tomorrow !!!

a real added bonus of this frame is being to run 2.4 tires front and back. mega tire clearance.[/QUOTE]

Dude, you just rocked my world right now. I have a 9r frame coming and I wasn't sure if it would fit the Ardent 2.4 that I am currently running front and back. Thank you for relieving my anxiety that I would have to settle for less!!

To all you all weird-o's: I'm gonna have some pictures of an interestingly equipped 23" 9r in the not-too-distant future, so stay tuned!

I love the *dingle* discussion - not something I have experimented with but find fascinating.

mtbr member
    May 2010

Damn, that's a good lookin' bike

[QUOTE=bondiablo]I started with my new 2010 Access XCL 9.5 Slate

Nice bike, and great location for the photos! I wish I could have gotten that slate color, but I got mine on sale so I won't complain. Your bike is way too clean! Now go get it dirty . . .

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Dude, no apologies necessary. I like this photo the best out of all of them because is shows the bike in its true element. Beautiful, natural, peaceful, mossy woods.

Chris[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Here is the latest on my XCL 9r, I'm giving some Alt bars a try due to continuing hand issues...I'll provide feedback on those as I get some time with them. I had to install new hydro line, it's orange because that was what was on clearance (well pink too).

My man, as you may have found out: Alternative bars are what it's all about. I've been riding Titec Jones bars (45^ bend) for a couple years now, but I just got a set of Carnegie's carbon bars on my Fargo and I love them to bits. You're running the Mary's, is that right? I would recommend the Ragley Carnegie's if you want something a little wider and a little less bendy (25^).

By the way; does anyone want to buy some On-One handlebars? I have some fleegle's and some midge's that are sitting around. The fleegles are great - really wide and nice 16^ bend. But now I have the carnegie's, so . . .

Anyone with a Fargo or other 29er they want to set up with an off-road drop bar might be interested in the Midge's. Just wondering . . .

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by davidcondor
    You're running the Mary's, is that right? I would recommend the Ragley Carnegie's if you want something a little wider and a little less bendy (25^).
    Close, Origin 8 Space Bar OR2 31.8 clamp

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Minez, taken with cruddy iPhone:

"Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    May 2010

How's the Larry ?

Quote Originally Posted by Drevil

You are an inspiration to us all! I have been intrigued with the fat front for a while now, especially upon seeing how Jeff Jones has taken to it with his bikes. I am eager to learn what your impressions are . . . How does it compare to a rigid 29" front - or a suspended one for that matter? It seems to me that it's theoretically a happy medium between the two; a way to keep the rigid feel while increasing comfort and traction. Would you recommend it to the average trail rider, or does it make sense only in certain conditions?

Thanks for sharing your unique 9r!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil

Nicely done Drevil!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    My Access 9.7. I guess she's technically bought and not built.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast