Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast
    not so super...
    Nice bikes everyone. I don't think I post pics of my jalopy Jabber in this thread.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper58
    My newest Jabberwocky

If you don't mind me asking where were these pics taken. That area looks kinda familiar. Probably my imagination though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Stahr_Nut
    It isn't a Jabberwocky but it's a Vassago none the less. It's interesting how the Jabberwocky gets so much more talk time than the Bandersnatch.

It had some 38mm cross tires on it at the time for dirt road spring training rides, it now wears 2.3 Exi's. And the flats/clipless come and go depending on the ride and time of year.

I can't stop looking at all of the great bikes in this thread. I have a question for you Stahr_Nut. What size frame is that? How tall are you? What is your inseam? That looks like a lot of seatpost, which I love to see. You have a great looking bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by larryo108
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky
    I'm 6' and yes it is a 20". I ended up lowering the seat about 1/4"-1/2" and rotated the bars down a little more to find the sweet spot with this setup. I may try another set of larger sweep bars soon too.

This is the closest to a side shot I have. If you like I could take a more level straight on side shot and/or maybe a shot of me on it, if you want.
    I would really appreciate that. What is your inseam? What length are your cranks? Thanks.

Also, if that is a 666mm Surly Torsion Bar which it looks like, I may be interested in buying it if you swap it out.
    Any chance you've been able to get another picture?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Im looking for a jabberwocky 18" frame if any of you guys are looking to off one...
    thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I see a bunch of Salsa Liplock's on Jabbers in this thread. I was told at the shop that there were issues with the Salsas on the Jabberwocky specifically. I was told that you can not get them tight enough and that the seatpost slips or you break the bolt. Any input?

anyone else smell that?
    i run a liplock on my bandersnatch with a thudbuster and it holds my 230 lbs up fine.
    1. Your signature can not be longer than 125 characters.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by larryo108
    I see a bunch of Salsa Liplock's on Jabbers in this thread. I was told at the shop that there were issues with the Salsas on the Jabberwocky specifically. I was told that you can not get them tight enough and that the seatpost slips or you break the bolt. Any input?
    I didn't do a ton of research before buying my liplock - wish I had considered this. I'll be interested to see the replies and also to find out for myself
    :wq

WNC Native
    Liplock on mine also. Holding my 215lbs up fine also.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky
    Liplock on mine also. Holding my 215lbs up fine also.
    AWESOME!

Were you able to get anymore pictures? How big is your inseam? What size cranks are you using, 175mm?

more beers, lees gears.
    im running a generic liplock with no issues on my thompson seat post. On my carbon is slips like crazy. I can never get it tight enough. even after rubbing some sand on the post, still slips slowly on long rides.

I stick with the thompson these days. I moved the carbon to my road bike and its doing fine there.
    A burrito is a sleeping bag for ground beef.

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008
    My Liplock held up better than my Hope seatclamp... I broke the head off the bolt tightening it down, it was an aluminum bolt in aluminum threads, where as the Salsa is a steel bolt into steel threads I believe.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Good to know about the Hope. That was going to be my second choice. I guess I will steer clear of that one. I was just looking for a red seatpost collar to match my red headset.

mtbr member
    Mine is finally complete. Had the first ride yesterday!

:wq

Single Speeder
    I'm also set up with a thomson/salsa lip lock combo... I weigh 213 and it hasnt slipped at all

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks for the feedback on the liplocks. Ordered the frame, fork, headset, and liplock yesterday. So should have that next week. Then it's time to build the wheels and buy the brakes.

mtbr member

Lip Lock

I've tried the quick release and bolt on versions of the salsa clamp on my frame with no issues at all. I also have a friend with a jabber running one with no issues that i've heard of.

Single Speeder
    Grats man!

Looks really nice

I had about a two hour ride on mine yesterday and just loved it... although the mosquitos are already out in texas

mtbr member
    I have had mine built up since the fall just never took any pics yet. I have a 100mm minute that I have yet to put on but will later in the season as more to the technical rides melt/dry out. had a haro mary before and I like the jabber allot better, fells like a ridged version of my rip9

It's go time

Single Speeder
    My humble Jabber
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ETP2008; 05-14-2009 at 07:51 PM.

I'm attracted to Gravity!

Lets see those Vassago Jabberwocky builds....

the new build.

Vassago Jabberwocky 29er frame/fork
    Deore hubs Mavic 317A rims DT 14g spokes
    Cane Creek S-3 headset
    Easton E70 bars and stem
    Avid BB-5 disc brakes/ FR-5 levers
    ODI Rogue lock on grips
    Intense 2.25 tires
    Shimano Hone crank w/ 34t Blackspire SS chainring
    Wellgo MG-1 Magnesium pedals
    WTB ?? Seat
    old Kalin seatpost
    Interlock Stingray seatclamp
    20t Dimension cog
    Sram 9 speed chain

almost passed the Invisibility Test on the first ride, on rocky singletrack, in the dark!!

Coming soon: used Thompson Elite seatpost from eBay
    and 2x9 gears without a front derailleur! Most of the time it will stay in the 34T ring, but a granny gear weights almost nothing, and where I live in CO everything is either straight up or straight down, for a long ways.

here is the bike it replaced:

I got the frame and fork at a garage sale in 8th grade for $3, now I'm 25. It has been through many different parts, and still rides great (except for the parts I pulled off to finish the Jabber) but was getting old.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    If any of you Jabber owners have a take off ODIS fork that you want to get rid of, please let me know. I'm looking for one.

and now my Jabber converted to 1x9

added the Thompson post, bar ends, Sram X-9 short cage derailleur, X-5 trigger shifter, Sram 11-34 cassette,....
    Rides amazing.

more beers, lees gears.
    how well does yours shift?

My 1/9 honestly shifts like garbage half the time. More like a 1x5, as I can never get it in each gear. It skips gears, and when I stand to pump up a hill, it usually kicks down 1 gear.

I think that gear plug is just okay. I have trouble every time i take my rear wheel off with getting it back shifting semi smooth again. Its kind of a mess if you ask me.

But i do enjoy my 1x5.
    A burrito is a sleeping bag for ground beef.

have you had shifting troubles with other bikes? it may be the mechanic.....
    Is the plug bent at all?
    I haven't had to remove the rear wheel yet, thankfully, it will be a bit rough if I need to do it on the trail. I had to tap the plug in gently with a hammer, even after lightly sanding the paint down inside the dropouts.

The Sram derailleurs I've had on it (old X-5 while waiting for the X-9) both needed a 2mm or so alloy axle washer to clear the hanger. Thankfully the diameter of the axle washers was a perfect fit.

If you are using a Sram derailleur (or shimano, even), check on this right now.

Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast