Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Rampage not as much volume? Maybe it's just me but I've got Archs and Rampages and they look pretty fat to me for a 2.35.

Terror of Sidewalls
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnachos
    Rampage not as much volume? Maybe it's just me but I've got Archs and Rampages and they look pretty fat to me for a 2.35.
    Oh, I'm not saying that it looks skinny, jut not that fat compared to a lot of my other tire/rim combos. All of these are purely eyeball comparisons with mostly wider rims. It looks massive compared to the Jones ACX's 2.2s on my wife's American Classics. It looks a little bigger than an XDX on a Rhythm rim, and just slightly larger than an ACX 2.2 on a Rhythm rim. It looks about the same as a Saguro 2.2 on an Arch rim and the MK 2.4s on Flow rims. I'm sure it would look a little fatter if I threw it on the flows.

mtbr member

Jabber Nuts

jmilliron,

Looks like Jabber Nuts on your rig, what do you think of them?
    Linux is for those who hate Microsoft, BSD is for those who love UNIX.

Another Retro Grouch

Here's a 1x9 in white:

I-Motion 9 hub, FU bars, Thudbuster, it's a fashion statement:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Stayin' Puft
    Sorry slightly OT thread hijack I have no pics but I do have a quick Jabber question for you owners...

Is the 454.5mm (17.9") published chainstay measurement on the frame taken "middle of the slot" on the dropouts, or is that the shortest-possible measurement with the wheel all the way forward?

Looking at these pics, it sure is a nice looking frame with the rigid fork, interesting to see the different wheel positions in the slots for the SS setups, some quite far forward, some not. Looks like a lot of adjustment, it would be nice to know what the "range" is. Thanks...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Celt
    jmilliron,

Looks like Jabber Nuts on your rig, what do you think of them?
    I think they are, they came with the frame. Work great.

From today:

mtbr member
    this will be the last one of mine. i *think* i am done for now. i actually have a white industries bb on the way, but that won't change the look at all.
    this is from a ride today. i was in baggies and a t-shirt today, and it was 13 degrees on monday. it was amazing today.

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by canyonrat
    Sorry slightly OT thread hijack I have no pics but I do have a quick Jabber question for you owners...

Is the 454.5mm (17.9") published chainstay measurement on the frame taken "middle of the slot" on the dropouts, or is that the shortest-possible measurement with the wheel all the way forward?

Looking at these pics, it sure is a nice looking frame with the rigid fork, interesting to see the different wheel positions in the slots for the SS setups, some quite far forward, some not. Looks like a lot of adjustment, it would be nice to know what the "range" is. Thanks...
    That measurement appears to be right to the center of the dropouts. Measuring from the center of the BB shell to what would be the center of the hub axle in it's furthest forward position, looks to be approximately 445 mm, So you've got about two cm of total adjustment there. The "jabbernuts" tensioners add about 2 mm to that previous measurement because they've got a sizable head on them.

You know, for kids
    very recent updates to my Jabberwocky include Gordo/240s wheels with King stainless steel cog and Shimano SLX brakes to replace the crummy Juicy5 sets that were on there. I still need to trim the brake hoses as Shimano made them too long for a large size 29er. I'd hate to see if somebody installed this prebled set on a small 26er...

I love the Gordos for rigid SS'ing!

everything else on the bike...
    headset - FSA Pig DH Pro
    cranks - TruVativ Hussefelt
    bar/stem/post - Easton Vice/EA50 stuff
    saddle - Selle Italia Yutaak
    Last edited by madcap; 12-27-2008 at 10:49 PM.
    disclaimer: I sell and repair bicycles

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

mine

list of components

Frame / Fork Vassago Jabber / Odis
    Headset Chris King
    Wheelset Stans Flow / Chris King (built by MikeC) thx agn.
    Saddle Bontrager Inform
    Pedals Crank Brothers Eggs
    Chain ring Rennen 32t
    Handlebar Bontrager satellite plus
    Grips Ergon
    Tensioners JabberNuts
    Brakes Formula k24
    Computer Cateye strada wireless
    Seat collar Surly constrictor
    Tires Rampage 29 x 2.35
    Seatpost Thomson setback
    Stem Thomson elite 90mm
    Skewers Crank Bros.
    Cog Chris King 18t
    Crank Fsa pro team carbon
    chain FMF hollow pin

awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by jmilliron
    I think they are, they came with the frame. Work great.

From today:

Chain tension looks a bit slack from here, do you that on purpose?

mtbr member
    This IS the next hubset I will use...haven't decided on hoops yet. Much lighter and smoother than the Kings I suspect? 240's make adjusting chainline a bit easier too.

[QUOTE=madcap]very recent updates to my Jabberwocky include Gordo/240s wheels with King stainless steel cog and Shimano SLX brakes to replace the crummy Juicy5 sets that were on there. I still need to trim the brake hoses as Shimano made them too long for a large size 29er. I'd hate to see if somebody installed this prebled set on a small 26er...
    Linux is for those who hate Microsoft, BSD is for those who love UNIX.

Lurky Lou
    This was after I built it in '07. Since then, tried a Reba on the front, but am back to riding it rigid in the rocky AZ desert.

more beers, lees gears.
    dryheat? how do you like those wheels? I hear they are super light.

Where in AZ are you? CrashFLMB (posted his green Jabber on page 3) and I also ride jabbers. Here in phoenix. I have decided we need to form "Team Vassago" and be elitists on jabbers.
    A burrito is a sleeping bag for ground beef.

You know, for kids
    This IS the next hubset I will use...haven't decided on hoops yet. Much lighter and smoother than the Kings I suspect? 240's make adjusting chainline a bit easier too.
    I'm sure both are very smooth. The fronts are close in weight but the King rear is about 100g heavier and has more engagement points. I don't really care much about engagement points or the "bling" factor the Kings provide. The Kings are damn nice hubs, though.
    disclaimer: I sell and repair bicycles

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    Quote Originally Posted by doughocker
    Very sharp looking!
    Can you hear me now?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dblspeed
    Chain tension looks a bit slack from here, do you that on purpose?
    Yeah, someone else commented on that recently. I haven't heard it slap around and its never dropped so I haven't bothered with it. I guess I have a straight chain line or something.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Jabberwocky 3

Not a Barry supporter.
    I don't know, that blue and green is kind of novel. Doesn't bother me at all. Wish you could still get a Jabber in that color.
    At first I didn't really like the color but it has grown on me...especially since it's the original color and unavailable now. My next bike is a Fisticuff...close if not the same color from what I've read and seen.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Not a Barry supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattKHS
    dryheat? how do you like those wheels? I hear they are super light.

Where in AZ are you? CrashFLMB (posted his green Jabber on page 3) and I also ride jabbers. Here in phoenix. I have decided we need to form "Team Vassago" and be elitists on jabbers.
    Yo Matt! dryheat? and I ride together all the time. He's very smooth on the full rigid. Our pal cycljunkie is waiting on his to arrive this week. Then we can have a four man elitist Mrs. V group in AZ!

Yeah baby! Yeah!
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    Yo Matt! dryheat? and I ride together all the time. He's very smooth on the full rigid. Our pal cycljunkie is waiting on his to arrive this week. Then we can have a four man elitist Mrs. V group in AZ!

Yeah baby! Yeah!
    Hey Crash,
    There's a least 1 (me) Jabber rider up here in Preskitt, I've heard of one other, haven't met him yet. Plus there is Zach (semi-pro rider) riding his Optimus.

Jabbers rule! I like the green/blue combo on yours

Master of Sparks
    Easton EA70 flatbar and seatpost
    King Headset
    Juicy 7 brakes
    American Classic wheelset
    Race Face Evolve Crankset
    Yada Yada Yada

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wampuscat
    Easton EA70 flatbar and seatpost
    King Headset
    Juicy 7 brakes
    American Classic wheelset
    Race Face Evolve Crankset
    Yada Yada Yada

Very nice.........CF.

Stayin' Puft

Brainwashed by this thread

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowsCast
    That measurement appears to be right to the center of the dropouts. Measuring from the center of the BB shell to what would be the center of the hub axle in it's furthest forward position, looks to be approximately 445 mm, So you've got about two cm of total adjustment there. The "jabbernuts" tensioners add about 2 mm to that previous measurement because they've got a sizable head on them.
    So, Shadows thanks a lot for posting the info. Had to let you know...I pulled the trigger today and just ordered an '09 Jabber in NoneMoreBlack! This will be my new "steel/rigid/purist/ss" 29er setup, mostly with parts I already have (which are pretty dang nice and idle in the basement or getting stolen off another bike... ) Can't wait to do the build and I can add my pic to the show in a couple weeks if all goes well.

Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast