• 02-07-2009
    29buzz
    Try this-find star washers at a hardware store.Also use a good shimano QR or a DT RWS skewer.Also sounds simple-rough up or sand down the paint-inside and outside the dropout.The 'star'washers will set grooves into the metal so find your sweetspot first-i have seen some alum. bikes a mess with this-but a steel is tougher.We find the paint removal is usually enough with the good QR on any single speed.
  • 02-07-2009
    canyonrat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dblspeed
    The bolts on my Hope look very similar to King Funbolts, yet the thing moves

I am using a DT 240s rear hub with the thru-bolt conversion, and a Hadley aluminum axle. The Hadley has no serrations on the nuts/bolt ends where they contact the frame, so it is all about getting the bolts tight enough for the serrations on the hub itself to bite on the inside of the track ends. I have the stock 2mm tensioner bolts that I use a little for adjusting when the bike is on the rack, then tighten very gently against the axle once the thru-bolt is already tightened down. I took the sheen off of the paint on the track ends with some fine grit paper but did not strip it them down to metal.

So far so good...I only have a few rides in but last weekend hit some very rocky terrain where there were both erratic braking forces and climbing force against the axle, and the biggest bumps I could handle without walking, so...not a slip so far. I was a little concerned the Hadley axle is aluminum and thought I might strip the threads since I am used to tightening Surly steel track nuts...they have held so far. I would bet your Hope bolts are even more up to the task, so tighten those suckers down. :thumbsup: I would rank the Hadley the least beefy solution compared to track nuts and King fun bolts...but it is working.
  • 02-07-2009
    GreenLightGo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by canyonrat
    I am using a DT 240s rear hub with the thru-bolt conversion, and a Hadley aluminum axle. The Hadley has no serrations on the nuts/bolt ends where they contact the frame, so it is all about getting the bolts tight enough for the serrations on the hub itself to bite on the inside of the track ends. I have the stock 2mm tensioner bolts that I use a little for adjusting when the bike is on the rack, then tighten very gently against the axle once the thru-bolt is already tightened down. I took the sheen off of the paint on the track ends with some fine grit paper but did not strip it them down to metal.

So far so good...I only have a few rides in but last weekend hit some very rocky terrain where there were both erratic braking forces and climbing force against the axle, and the biggest bumps I could handle without walking, so...not a slip so far. I was a little concerned the Hadley axle is aluminum and thought I might strip the threads since I am used to tightening Surly steel track nuts...they have held so far. I would bet your Hope bolts are even more up to the task, so tighten those suckers down. :thumbsup: I would rank the Hadley the least beefy solution compared to track nuts and King fun bolts...but it is working.

the bolts Hope uses are soft, you'll strip them if you don't use a good fitting allen wrench.
  • 02-08-2009
    dblspeed
    today I had the first 30 plus mile ride with the dual chain tug set up (2 bmx Ciari chain tensioners which weigh less than a single surly tuggnut). it might not solve the brake side sliding back issue completely but the drivetrain felt way more solid than before, especially on long hard climbs.
  • 02-08-2009
    Clink
    I'm using Jabbernutz (I think thats right?) and xt skewers and have never had any movement of rear axle/wheel.
  • 02-08-2009
    canyonrat
    Well, I need to revise my previous comment. No, my wheel did not slip, but the wimpy little stock adjusters ARE bent now just as others mentioned. If a bolt can be bent or damaged in any way, I will certainly do it so no surprise there. Off to the stainless steel aisle at Ace Hardware, or maybe just run without for awhile...I think when I "gently" tightened them against the axle they bent. :)
  • 03-05-2009
    cooper58
    My newest Jabberwocky

• 03-05-2009
    lowmach
    nice action photo!

wish i was riding right now!
  • 03-05-2009
    mattKHS
    love the look of that white fox fork.
  • 04-06-2009
    codyman010
    My new ride, first 29er/singlespeed/steel

• 04-06-2009
    7daysaweek
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by doughocker
    Why is your quick release pointing forward?

Actually its one of those DT Swiss RWS things. At the time the bike was brand new. I hadn't messed with it much yet so I wasn't really worried with the direction it was pointing.

Here's how it looks now though. A few of the parts have been switched out and the rws is pointing backward.
  • 04-07-2009
    larryo108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 7daysaweek
    18" Jabber, custom built DT Swiss wheelset, White Brothers Rock Solid Carbon fork, Monkeylite SL's, Stylo Crank, Thomson stem/post, BB7s.

LOVE IT!!!

What chain is that you are running? I can't see very well, but it looks like a red half-link.
  • 04-07-2009
    nitrousjunky
    Clyde worthy Jabber
    May get some bigger sweep bars, but here it is for now.

• 04-07-2009
    larryo108
    How tall are you? Is that a 20"? Can you get a straight on side view?
  • 04-07-2009
    7daysaweek
    Quote:

Originally Posted by larryo108
    What chain is that you are running? I can't see very well, but it looks like a red half-link.

Its a KMC Z410.
  • 04-09-2009
    nitrousjunky
    Quote:

How tall are you? Is that a 20"? Can you get a straight on side view?

I'm 6' and yes it is a 20". I ended up lowering the seat about 1/4"-1/2" and rotated the bars down a little more to find the sweet spot with this setup. I may try another set of larger sweep bars soon too.

This is the closest to a side shot I have. If you like I could take a more level straight on side shot and/or maybe a shot of me on it, if you want.

• 04-09-2009
    jmilliron

• 04-09-2009
    mattKHS
    does it look like everyone here is running negative rise stems or 0 ride stems?

I had to flip my 5 upside down to feel comfortable on my 20" (6' 3").

Its sad, but it bothers the heck out of me to see the stem logo upside down. I think i need to buy a negative rise thomson.
  • 04-13-2009
    marticarving

• 04-13-2009
    larryo108
    That is awesome. Love the orange paint on the fork and is that a custom ano job on the Eno chainring? I would love a red Eno chainring, but I would want a red cog too.
  • 04-13-2009
    cooper58

• 04-13-2009
    larryo108
    That is a pretty bad ass Jabber there too. Lots of orange ones out there.
  • 04-13-2009
    marticarving
    Orange is the colour!

Yes, the chainring and the fork are custom...
  • 04-13-2009
    nachomc
    Bike looks awesome. My orange frame should be here today!
  • 04-14-2009
    larryo108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrousjunky
    I'm 6' and yes it is a 20". I ended up lowering the seat about 1/4"-1/2" and rotated the bars down a little more to find the sweet spot with this setup. I may try another set of larger sweep bars soon too.

This is the closest to a side shot I have. If you like I could take a more level straight on side shot and/or maybe a shot of me on it, if you want.

I would really appreciate that. What is your inseam? What length are your cranks? Thanks.

Also, if that is a 666mm Surly Torsion Bar which it looks like, I may be interested in buying it if you swap it out.
  • 04-14-2009
    SSINGA
    Nice bikes everyone. I don't think I post pics of my jalopy Jabber in this thread.
  • 04-14-2009
    7daysaweek
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper58
    My newest Jabberwocky

If you don't mind me asking where were these pics taken. That area looks kinda familiar. Probably my imagination though.
  • 04-14-2009
    larryo108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Stahr_Nut
    It isn't a Jabberwocky but it's a Vassago none the less.:thumbsup: It's interesting how the Jabberwocky gets so much more talk time than the Bandersnatch.

It had some 38mm cross tires on it at the time for dirt road spring training rides, it now wears 2.3 Exi's. And the flats/clipless come and go depending on the ride and time of year.

I can't stop looking at all of the great bikes in this thread. I have a question for you Stahr_Nut. What size frame is that? How tall are you? What is your inseam? That looks like a lot of seatpost, which I love to see. You have a great looking bike.
  • 04-17-2009
    larryo108
    Quote:

Quote:

I would really appreciate that. What is your inseam? What length are your cranks? Thanks.

Also, if that is a 666mm Surly Torsion Bar which it looks like, I may be interested in buying it if you swap it out.

Any chance you've been able to get another picture?
  • 04-19-2009
    coffeespecial
    Im looking for a jabberwocky 18" frame if any of you guys are looking to off one...
    thanks
  • 04-20-2009
    larryo108
    I see a bunch of Salsa Liplock's on Jabbers in this thread. I was told at the shop that there were issues with the Salsas on the Jabberwocky specifically. I was told that you can not get them tight enough and that the seatpost slips or you break the bolt. Any input?
  • 04-20-2009
    jgsatl
    i run a liplock on my bandersnatch with a thudbuster and it holds my 230 lbs up fine.
  • 04-20-2009
    nachomc
    Quote:

I see a bunch of Salsa Liplock's on Jabbers in this thread. I was told at the shop that there were issues with the Salsas on the Jabberwocky specifically. I was told that you can not get them tight enough and that the seatpost slips or you break the bolt. Any input?

I didn't do a ton of research before buying my liplock - wish I had considered this. I'll be interested to see the replies and also to find out for myself
  • 04-20-2009
    nitrousjunky
    Liplock on mine also. Holding my 215lbs up fine also.
  • 04-20-2009
    larryo108
    Quote:

Liplock on mine also. Holding my 215lbs up fine also.

AWESOME!

Were you able to get anymore pictures? How big is your inseam? What size cranks are you using, 175mm?
  • 04-20-2009
    mattKHS
    im running a generic liplock with no issues on my thompson seat post. On my carbon is slips like crazy. I can never get it tight enough. even after rubbing some sand on the post, still slips slowly on long rides.

I stick with the thompson these days. I moved the carbon to my road bike and its doing fine there.
  • 04-20-2009
    ShadowsCast
    My Liplock held up better than my Hope seatclamp... I broke the head off the bolt tightening it down, it was an aluminum bolt in aluminum threads, where as the Salsa is a steel bolt into steel threads I believe.
  • 04-21-2009
    larryo108
    Good to know about the Hope. That was going to be my second choice. I guess I will steer clear of that one. I was just looking for a red seatpost collar to match my red headset.
  • 04-22-2009
    nachomc
    Mine is finally complete. Had the first ride yesterday!

• 04-22-2009
    ETP2008
    I'm also set up with a thomson/salsa lip lock combo... I weigh 213 and it hasnt slipped at all
  • 04-22-2009
    larryo108
    Thanks for the feedback on the liplocks. Ordered the frame, fork, headset, and liplock yesterday. So should have that next week. Then it's time to build the wheels and buy the brakes.
  • 04-22-2009
    7daysaweek
    Lip Lock
    I've tried the quick release and bolt on versions of the salsa clamp on my frame with no issues at all. I also have a friend with a jabber running one with no issues that i've heard of.
  • 04-22-2009
    ETP2008
    Grats man!

Looks really nice :)

I had about a two hour ride on mine yesterday and just loved it... although the mosquitos are already out in texas :(
  • 04-30-2009
    hizzity
    I have had mine built up since the fall just never took any pics yet. I have a 100mm minute that I have yet to put on but will later in the season as more to the technical rides melt/dry out. had a haro mary before and I like the jabber allot better, fells like a ridged version of my rip9

• 05-08-2009
    ETP2008
    5 Attachment(s)
    My humble Jabber
  • 05-14-2009
    campredcloudbikes
    Lets see those Vassago Jabberwocky builds....

the new build.

Vassago Jabberwocky 29er frame/fork
    Deore hubs Mavic 317A rims DT 14g spokes
    Cane Creek S-3 headset
    Easton E70 bars and stem
    Avid BB-5 disc brakes/ FR-5 levers
    ODI Rogue lock on grips
    Intense 2.25 tires
    Shimano Hone crank w/ 34t Blackspire SS chainring
    Wellgo MG-1 Magnesium pedals
    WTB ?? Seat
    old Kalin seatpost
    Interlock Stingray seatclamp
    20t Dimension cog
    Sram 9 speed chain

almost passed the Invisibility Test on the first ride, on rocky singletrack, in the dark!!

Coming soon: used Thompson Elite seatpost from eBay
    and 2x9 gears without a front derailleur! Most of the time it will stay in the 34T ring, but a granny gear weights almost nothing, and where I live in CO everything is either straight up or straight down, for a long ways.

here is the bike it replaced:

I got the frame and fork at a garage sale in 8th grade for $3, now I'm 25. It has been through many different parts, and still rides great (except for the parts I pulled off to finish the Jabber) but was getting old.
  • 05-18-2009
    Chance
    If any of you Jabber owners have a take off ODIS fork that you want to get rid of, please let me know. I'm looking for one.
  • 05-28-2009
    campredcloudbikes
    and now my Jabber converted to 1x9

added the Thompson post, bar ends, Sram X-9 short cage derailleur, X-5 trigger shifter, Sram 11-34 cassette,....
    Rides amazing.
  • 05-29-2009
    mattKHS
    how well does yours shift?

My 1/9 honestly shifts like garbage half the time. More like a 1x5, as I can never get it in each gear. It skips gears, and when I stand to pump up a hill, it usually kicks down 1 gear.

I think that gear plug is just okay. I have trouble every time i take my rear wheel off with getting it back shifting semi smooth again. Its kind of a mess if you ask me.

But i do enjoy my 1x5.
  • 05-29-2009
    campredcloudbikes
    have you had shifting troubles with other bikes? it may be the mechanic.....
    Is the plug bent at all?
    I haven't had to remove the rear wheel yet, thankfully, it will be a bit rough if I need to do it on the trail. I had to tap the plug in gently with a hammer, even after lightly sanding the paint down inside the dropouts.

The Sram derailleurs I've had on it (old X-5 while waiting for the X-9) both needed a 2mm or so alloy axle washer to clear the hanger. Thankfully the diameter of the axle washers was a perfect fit.

If you are using a Sram derailleur (or shimano, even), check on this right now.