Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I think I'd be very interested in building a bike like the one's pictured here. I really like the simplicity of their look in construction. Then, I could keep my Jamis Exile purely for trail/path use. Would it be blasphemous to ask if bikes like these would be good contenders for commuting/street use, with proper tires?
    Salsa Casseroll SS.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjiboy View Post
    When I decided to get a mtb, this thread was my guide. Once I saw the jabberwockys it was over. Had this bike for 3 years now lurking on these threads and I finally wanted to show it off. Love this Bike!

XTR Cranks
    Boone Titanium 32 X 16
    WI Freewheel
    Chis King BB and Headset
    Avid BB7
    Edge (Enve) Carbon Riser
    Niner Carbon Fork
    DT Swiss X470 RIMS
    Paul Hubs
    Thomson Elite Stem and Post
    Maxxis Crossmark

PS--I have black ODIS Fork in Great shape if anyone is interested

Big shout out to @FranksCyclery for building this bike and keeping it dialed in.
    Good taste!

I might be interested in your odis. PM me.

mtbr member
    Nice builds guys. Getting itchy feet about building mine now...I'm supposed to be waiting until next year
    Current Stable: 2011 Niner EMD, 2011 Vassago Jabba

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iamJ4R0N View Post
    I think I'd be very interested in building a bike like the one's pictured here. I really like the simplicity of their look in construction. Then, I could keep my Jamis Exile purely for trail/path use. Would it be blasphemous to ask if bikes like these would be good contenders for commuting/street use, with proper tires?
    Many commuter bikes are made of steel as it absorbs the road bumps better than aluminium.

I'd advise you to have a look at the Surly Karate Monkey or Ogre before you pile some cash into a Jabba as I think their geo lends better to both trails and tarmac.

Having said that, I do plan on running my Jabba for trails, with a spare wheelset with hybrid tyres for the road. Best of both worlds I think.
    Current Stable: 2011 Niner EMD, 2011 Vassago Jabba

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Posted this over in the SS forum, but here it is anyways. Pre-feast ride!

(Thanks Anderson!!!)

GB Thanksgiving DT Overlook
    Pedal through it!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gsteitz View Post
    Posted this over in the SS forum, but here it is anyways. Pre-feast ride!

(Thanks Anderson!!!)

GB Thanksgiving DT Overlook
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

mtbr'er

My New Jabber

Just got my Jabber built up a couple of days ago. Running 1x9 for the moment but Brown Santa should be delivering my SS drivetrain stuff any day now.

This bike is ridiculous. Coming off my fancy FS bikes I thought this bike would give me a handicap that would slow me down and force me to ride with a little more finesse. The latter is certainly true, but after riding this bike for just a few days, I'm blown away by how capable this bike is! With few exceptions, I've found myself cleaning steep technical climbs with more confidence on this bike than any other I own. Surprisingly compliant on fast descents and the handling is super crisp - I'm having a blast on this thing! I stuck my camera on the tripod with a time delay interval during assembly and made sure to get a few nice shots before it saw the dirt, which you'll see below. Hopefully I can get some action shots up before too long.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Far out, thats awesome!

Love that puddin' color.
    Pedal through it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Can I get some sizing input from you guys? I'm 5'9 with long legs compared to my short torso. I feel like an 18" would be good with a shorter stem. On my 18" FS bike my Seatpost sticks out crazy far. It's a slack trance x so the reach to bars with 90mm stem feels good pulled in. Ive been riding my friends 17.5" felt nine trail with 100mm stem and it feels great with the wide bars.

I feel a 16" would have the perfect top tube length for me but I'm.worried about not having enough room for the Seatpost.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

Not a Barry supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    Can I get some sizing input from you guys? I'm 5'9 with long legs compared to my short torso. I feel like an 18" would be good with a shorter stem. On my 18" FS bike my Seatpost sticks out crazy far. It's a slack trance x so the reach to bars with 90mm stem feels good pulled in. Ive been riding my friends 17.5" felt nine trail with 100mm stem and it feels great with the wide bars.

I feel a 16" would have the perfect top tube length for me but I'm.worried about not having enough room for the Seatpost.
    I'm 5'8" with crazy long legs and I've been on my 18" for almost 6 years now. I run a 100mm stem but I like that long stretched out race position. It works really well when I have to stand up and grunt my way up a hill. So I think it depends on how you like to sit on the bike...stretched out or more straight up.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Bro Mountainbiker

Thats a tricky one.
    The options are ride a 16in with a normal stem
    Or ride a 18in with a shorter stem?

The frames do handle well with short stems and you will be guaranteed to not have toe overlap with a larger frame.

But the bikes are already long and slack, and you dont want that to be coupled with a too large of frame.

I would say get the one with the proper length ETT. Or try to find one or the other to test ride before you buy.

Where are you located?
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Athens GA.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yep it's a little tricky because of the unique geo of the bike. I'm 5' 6", and traditionally the small frame's ETT would be too long for someone my size and proportions. It's more on par to a Medium for most other frames. However, I feel more comfortable and more stable being stretched out with how I have it set up (rigid) and how I prefer to ride it (more xc, lots and lots of climbing, conservative downs, not too many jumps/drops,etc.) . I'm currently using a 70mm stem and considering a 80mm. I'm thinking if I had a more flickable bike and wanted a more playful ride, I'd go with a small size for that other frame, which would probably have a ETT under 23". Lot's of things to consider, and I know it can be difficult to demo a bike that's not so mainstream like a Trek, Giant, Spec.

You're probably right between a small/medium. I agree with Sheepo on worrying most about that ETT, and matching it closer to what you're already used to.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm a shade over 5'9" and ride the 16" pictured above. Currently using a 90mm stem and fit is good. Could maybe go a touch longer on the stem or try a set back post, but the bike feels great! However, I'm the opposite and have shorter legs and a long torso. Dig the extra clearance and was worried about the bike being too long after trying some similar ETT bikes.

Funny, one of my mates commented the first time I rode with him on this bike that it looks like it fits me perfectly!
    Pedal through it!

Bro Mountainbiker
    Athens GA.
    Ill be in Atlanta from Dec 17th to January 10th or so with my 18 in bandersnatch. Let me know if you wanna try it. I may even find my way coming up to chicopee to ride a few times
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    That would be great. I'll pm you my number. I'm not going anywhere. Harbins park is in gwinette. I ride there almost every weekend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Have you ever ridden heritage? It where chainbustrr does a lot of their endurance races.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Jabber in the clouds

From Sunday's ride...was a treat when I got to the top.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see those Vassago Jabberwocky builds....-jabberclouds2.jpg  

Lets see those Vassago Jabberwocky builds....-aboveclouds.jpg  

Last edited by goldenaustin; 12-12-2012 at 12:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Spectacular marine layer, great shot Anderson!

(Nice bike too!)
    Pedal through it!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    thanks, yeah never gets old climbing up through it and over it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    That would be great. I'll pm you my number. I'm not going anywhere. Harbins park is in gwinette. I ride there almost every weekend.
    We need to get together and you can ride mine. I have an 18" with an 80mm stem and love the setup. The choice was small with a 110mm or a medium with 80mm and for this kind of bike (fun single speed that will still go downhill) the shorter stem fits me better.

-Tom

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by trhoppe View Post
    We need to get together and you can ride mine. I have an 18" with an 80mm stem and love the setup. The choice was small with a 110mm or a medium with 80mm and for this kind of bike (fun single speed that will still go downhill) the shorter stem fits me better.

-Tom
    Ha, yea man. I actually sent you an email the other day asking if I oils ride yours when we were talking about the cog I sent you. Any weekend is good.

Sorry to derail this thread.

I'm envious of all those sexy wockys!

Desert RAT
    Here is my jabber right now...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see those Vassago Jabberwocky builds....-101_0534.jpg  

Lets see those Vassago Jabberwocky builds....-101_0535.jpg  

Lets see those Vassago Jabberwocky builds....-101_0536.jpg  

Desert RAT
    Anyone seen a jabber with a lefty?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenaustin View Post
    thanks, yeah never gets old climbing up through it and over it.
    Nice! I hate it when you get all warm and then freeze getting back to the car...
    We ride the same trails.. but I am out a few hours before you!

I have a 16" jabber frame that has a repaired head tube.. I prefer longer top tubes and short stems - but I rode the 16 for about 6 months and loved it with a 100 mm stem
    My bike is heavier than yours - it does not have Carbon or Titanium parts - I love it!

Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 LastLast