• 12-30-2008
    pursuiter
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by canyonrat
    ...pulled the trigger today and just ordered an '09 Jabber in NoneMoreBlack! ....

    nice! did you get a fork too?
  • 12-30-2008
    canyonrat
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pursuiter
    nice! did you get a fork too?

    Yes, matching black ODIS of course. :thumbsup:

    Red King headset and Salsa seat collar for accents so far, and lots of slightly used but very nice parts for the build. :cool:

    I am looking forward to trying the full wetcat effect...both of my previous 29ers had the typical 72-deg head angle and riding out-of-saddle-SS a lot I always feel like I am right on top of the front wheel. Hoping to feel a little more behind the wheel without things getting too sluggish.

    I really have no desire for it to handle like a 26er. If I liked the way 26ers handled better, I would not ride 29ers. :D
  • 01-06-2009
    cycljunkie
    Here's My Jabber
    Just finished building it up... Some of the parts are temporary until the rest of the build comes in. Still waiting on:
    Salsa Pro Moto Flat 31.8 x 11 deg. bars
    Thomson 100x10 stem
    New rear wheel - Hope Pro II SS/Bolt-on w/Flow rim
    WTB tires, WW front/Exi rear

  • 01-07-2009
    Wampuscat
    nice!
  • 01-07-2009
    mattKHS
    for some reason I always liked the white vassagos.

    I have a metallic muted green / gun metal color. I like it, but its pretty low key. I think my next one will be a brighter color or white.
  • 01-07-2009
    Stahr_Nut
    It isn't a Jabberwocky but it's a Vassago none the less.:thumbsup: It's interesting how the Jabberwocky gets so much more talk time than the Bandersnatch.

    It had some 38mm cross tires on it at the time for dirt road spring training rides, it now wears 2.3 Exi's. And the flats/clipless come and go depending on the ride and time of year.

  • 01-07-2009
    pursuiter
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Stahr_Nut
    It isn't a Jabberwocky but it's a Vassago none the less....

    Couldn't buy that model, wifey doesn't want me riding stray 'snatch :p
  • 01-07-2009
    mattKHS
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Stahr_Nut
    It's interesting how the Jabberwocky gets so much more talk time than the Bandersnatch.

    I think thats because the jabber can be SS or geared. i ride my jabber as a 1x9


    Is that silver? or white with an odd camera white balance?
  • 01-07-2009
    Stahr_Nut
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mattKHS
    I think thats because the jabber can be SS or geared. i ride my jabber as a 1x9


    Is that silver? or white with an odd camera white balance?

    Phantom Silver I think they call it.
  • 01-08-2009
    rzims
    Here's mine - waiting on the groovy luvs in Feb and will eventually get some new wheels. Other than that I think she's done.
    I really liked my SOMA 4one5 but this is all that and even more.
    Race Face Dues XC bar, stem and seatpost
    Chris King Red headset
    Salsa Red seatpost binder
    BB7 brakes
    Mavic TN 719 wheels
  • 01-08-2009
    going29AZ
    rzims - sweet looking Jabber! Almost like mine except for I have a silver Salsa clamp and polished raw cranks...enjoy!
  • 01-08-2009
    rzims
    thanks - yeah, I thought the balck and red was pretty creative till I saw this thread and realized it's not "that" creative :-)

    Either that or amazing minds think alike :-)

    I really liked the SOMA 4one5 I had before this, but I freakin love this bike!!
  • 01-08-2009
    7daysaweek
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by rzims
    Either that or amazing minds think alike :-)

    :thumbsup:
  • 01-08-2009
    mtbnachos
    1 Attachment(s)
    Not again?!
    I updated the bars w/ Syncros Bulk, whoop dee do! Im just bored.....:p
  • 01-08-2009
    Celt
    White bars look killer!!

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mtbnachos
    I updated the bars w/ Syncros Bulk, whoop dee do! Im just bored.....:p

  • 01-31-2009
    nkrax
    My Jabber...

  • 01-31-2009
    7daysaweek
    1 Attachment(s)
    Nice looking one nkrax.


    Here's some updated pics of mine... changed a few parts... still love it.
  • 01-31-2009
    mtbnachos
    Great build, looks like you really paid attention to your components. Nice touch w/ the XTR cranks.
  • 01-31-2009
    Zion Rasta
    Jabber vs. SIR
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by cycljunkie
    Just finished building it up... Some of the parts are temporary until the rest of the build comes in. Still waiting on:
    Salsa Pro Moto Flat 31.8 x 11 deg. bars
    Thomson 100x10 stem
    New rear wheel - Hope Pro II SS/Bolt-on w/Flow rim
    WTB tires, WW front/Exi rear


    CycleJunk,

    I know you had a SIR Niner because I bought it from you. So far, the best bike ever. So it looks like you ended up with another SS. What didn't you like about the SIR? How do you compare it to the Jabber?

    It is almost like you had a similar bike as your Jabber, sold it and back on a similar build.

    just curious...:confused:
  • 01-31-2009
    barroo
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nkrax
    My Jabber...



    Good god man that is an awesome looking bike. I lust. Great job :thumbsup:
  • 01-31-2009
    GreenLightGo
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nkrax
    My Jabber...


    A true artist. Great looking bike set with great scenery. :thumbsup:
  • 01-31-2009
    mtnfiend
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nkrax
    My Jabber...


    Nathan,

    Great looking bike. And great photography on your site too!
  • 01-31-2009
    mattKHS
    looks to clean to me. I like mine dirty.

    What hubs are you running nkrax?
  • 01-31-2009
    going29AZ
    NKrax- she's beautiful, nice build as well. As MattKHS said she is way to clean, now go get her dirty!

    BTW - I'm an architectural shooter in AZ:thumbsup:
  • 01-31-2009
    7daysaweek
    Quick question... Is anyone out there trying mountain drops on one of these. I've recently become curious about this mountain drop idea but I'm not sure if it'd work. I don't really know why I just can't picture them on my bike.

    Anyone tried it?
  • 02-01-2009
    nkrax
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mattKHS
    What hubs are you running nkrax?

    King ISO's.
  • 02-01-2009
    jmilliron


    Waiting on some 185 Avid Elixir CRs.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by cycljunkie
    Still waiting on:

    WTB tires, WW front/Exi rear


    Do you have the WTB tires now? How do they compare to the Ardents?

    I just went from Rampages to Ardents (tubeless on Stan Flow rims). They seem lighter/faster and I don't notice any downside.
  • 02-01-2009
    GreenLightGo
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jmilliron
    They seem lighter/faster and I don't notice any downside.

    They are lighter, but not by much, maybe 20-30 grams. They just roll a ton faster.
  • 02-01-2009
    nkrax
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mtnfiend
    Nathan,

    Great looking bike. And great photography on your site too!

    Thanks very much.
  • 02-01-2009
    Pivvay
    1 Attachment(s)
    My white 20" Christmas present from wifey. Not "done" but now rideable!
  • 02-01-2009
    Duzitall
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Pivvay
    My white 20" Christmas present from wifey. Not "done" but now rideable!

    That is quite lovely :thumbsup:
  • 02-02-2009
    ibrown
    Hey Pivvay, what grips are those? ESI whites? Which fork is that?
  • 02-02-2009
    Pivvay
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ibrown
    Hey Pivvay, what grips are those? ESI whites? Which fork is that?

    ESI chunky (or whatever the fatter kind is called) and an On One carbon fork.
  • 02-06-2009
    dblspeed
    Went through this all thread, none of the pictures is showing a chain tug, many people are using a qr. How's that possible? Had a bunch of wheel moving issues running a QR on this frame, even with a tuggnut. Then I switched to bolt on (Hope trials hub), and I still have the wheel move from time to time, and I'm using the tuggnut, which is why I have another chain tug on the way.
  • 02-06-2009
    Clink
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 7daysaweek
    Quick question... Is anyone out there trying mountain drops on one of these. I've recently become curious about this mountain drop idea but I'm not sure if it'd work. I don't really know why I just can't picture them on my bike.

    Anyone tried it?

    I would have thought you would struggle due to the long top tubes on Vassagos?
  • 02-06-2009
    Celt
    Can't speak to other solutions, but I've been running various Jabbers with a King SS rear hub with giant 8mm FunBolts - has NEVER moved, not even a pinch.


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dblspeed
    Went through this all thread, none of the pictures is showing a chain tug, many people are using a qr. How's that possible? Had a bunch of wheel moving issues running a QR on this frame, even with a tuggnut. Then I switched to bolt on (Hope trials hub), and I still have the wheel move from time to time, and I'm using the tuggnut, which is why I have another chain tug on the way.

  • 02-06-2009
    Pivvay
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dblspeed
    Went through this all thread, none of the pictures is showing a chain tug, many people are using a qr. How's that possible? Had a bunch of wheel moving issues running a QR on this frame, even with a tuggnut. Then I switched to bolt on (Hope trials hub), and I still have the wheel move from time to time, and I'm using the tuggnut, which is why I have another chain tug on the way.

    What you talk'n bout willis? There is a tug on the last bike posted, aka mine. DS only, non wimpy QR skewer. Works great and is the same as on my Monocog.
  • 02-06-2009
    mattKHS
    are you not using these?


    i had some problems with my brake causing the wheel to kick back (which a tugnut would not fix either), but I switched from my salsa QR to an XT, and now I have no problems at all.

    have you removed the paint? often times you cant get a good grip on the paint, and vassago recomends removing the paint on the slideout area.
  • 02-06-2009
    Pivvay
    I'm not using the stock screw things. Not good enough contact on my axle and too weak = instata bent. I took them out and slapped a tug on, issue solved. Plus tugs make it quicker and easier to R&R the rear wheel.
  • 02-06-2009
    rzims
    Hey Pivvay - that white is awesome looking! Almost makes me wish I hadn't gone with the none more black....good looking build
  • 02-06-2009
    joncmack
    4 Attachment(s)
    Just built mine a couple weeks ago.
    Medium, Short Bus Yellow
    Fork is from stock Haro Mary SS (heavy)
    Hope Mono Minis (185/160)
    White Industries ENO crank/ring
    Surly Cog
    Hope Pro2 SS/Velocity Blunt rims
    Rampage tires
    Thomson Seatpost
  • 02-06-2009
    ETP2008
    Jon,

    What were you riding before and how are you liking the Jabber? I really like the yellow! Good job man... I'm gonna post mine up once I get it cleaned up a little.
  • 02-06-2009
    canyonrat
    So been too busy riding in the warm CO winter to take pics and post them, but finally here is a shot from last weekend on the still-new frame::D

    The parts will be in the usual constant state of flux...the front tire is already swapped out for an Ardent. Pretty nice ride on the frame I must say, great springy steel-feel. One funny thing is my Marta brake has so little slide-adjust on the rear because of the caliper design it is ridiculous..just not real compatible. I am getting a new set of postmount-adapted Louise brakes and the adapters should make everything cool with the Jabber rear brake adjust. Plus they are black. :thumbsup:

    Ride on...
  • 02-07-2009
    dblspeed
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Celt
    Can't speak to other solutions, but I've been running various Jabbers with a King SS rear hub with giant 8mm FunBolts - has NEVER moved, not even a pinch.

    The bolts on my Hope look very similar to King Funbolts, yet the thing moves
  • 02-07-2009
    dblspeed
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mattKHS
    are you not using these?


    i had some problems with my brake causing the wheel to kick back (which a tugnut would not fix either), but I switched from my salsa QR to an XT, and now I have no problems at all.

    have you removed the paint? often times you cant get a good grip on the paint, and vassago recomends removing the paint on the slideout area.

    Yes I'm using those bolts (have since replaced them since they bent after a while) and I scratched the paint, the rest came off by itself :D
    Yet the non drive side keeps moving back because of the disc, that's why I ordered another chain tug and I'm going to use a couple of nuts on the tensioner screws.
  • 02-07-2009
    dblspeed
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Pivvay
    I'm not using the stock screw things. Not good enough contact on my axle and too weak = instata bent. I took them out and slapped a tug on, issue solved. Plus tugs make it quicker and easier to R&R the rear wheel.

    I've bent a few screws as well. Just yesterday I tried this: removed the screws on the drive side, adjusted chain tension via the tuggnut, finger tightened the axle bolt on the drive side, centered the wheel via the screw on the non drive side, tightened the hell out of the bolt on the drive side, rechecked wheel alignment, tightened the axle bolt on the non drive said, just a bit more than finger tight, removed the screw, tightened the hell out of it. Then I put 2 nuts on each tensioner screw and reapplied them on the frame, once they couldn't go any forward i tightened the nuts against the frame, I'll see if this way the wheel still moves. :madmax:
  • 02-07-2009
    doughocker
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 7daysaweek
    18" Jabber, custom built DT Swiss wheelset, White Brothers Rock Solid Carbon fork, Monkeylite SL's, Stylo Crank, Thomson stem/post, BB7s.

    LOVE IT!!!

    Why is your quick release pointing forward?
  • 02-07-2009
    mattKHS
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dblspeed
    Yet the non drive side keeps moving back because of the disc, that's why I ordered another chain tug and I'm going to use a couple of nuts on the tensioner screws.


    A chain tug is not gonna keep the non drive side in place. a chain tug keeps the wheel from sliding forward, not backward.

    The problem is the torque from applying the rear brake. On One explains it well.
    http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/?page_id=669

  • 02-07-2009
    dblspeed
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mattKHS
    A chain tug is not gonna keep the non drive side in place. a chain tug keeps the wheel from sliding forward, not backward.

    The problem is the torque from applying the rear brake. On One explains it well.
    http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/?page_id=669


    Thanks for the link. I guess I'm out of luck then, nevertheless I'm going to try one of these, which has a nut, then put some nuts on the tensioner bolt, and see if that works.
  • 02-07-2009
    mattKHS
    i just switched to a XT skewer, and i dont have any issues anymore.

    or any bolt on hub should be fine if you keep it tight enough, as mentioned above.