Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast
    The Hutch
    Here is mine, but I'm thinking of moving it, and going back to gears for a season or two
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see those Vassago Jabberwocky builds....-vassago.jpeg  

follow me on twitter
    @RobertEHutch

Low Rep Count
    Quote Originally Posted by DosNueve View Post
    Mine

Looks good! I have the same frame/color but in the 16" and love it. I also have the same cranks (M960). Not sure how you feel about it but you can make them look alot cleaner/prettier than the way the sit right now in your picture. If you haven't seen the threads on here do a search for Modded M960 cranks. If you aren't comfortable doing it, there is also a place that you can send them out to (as I did) to have them modded and ceramic coated (cost about $150) but they come back as basically a brand new crank set! Oh, and they will weigh even less! Mine are 170mm and the arms and spindle weighed in at 460g (w/out bb and chainring/bolts).

The first pic is what they look like now. (I sent them back when I got the Jabber frame to have them recoated. The second is what they looked like when I got them (used off ebay) and the last one is what they looked like the first time I sent them in and got them coated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see those Vassago Jabberwocky builds....-black-m960.jpg  

Lets see those Vassago Jabberwocky builds....-moto10.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

Robtre
    Gotta 2012 Jabber frame and Odis in the mail as we speak, I am going rigid, and SS of course. The only parts I am moving over are my Stylo crankset and my Elixr brakes. Stooooked!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Here's mine on Kentucky lake with its new crank, seat, stem and handlebars.

Robtre
    Can anyone advise me on Tire clearance for the Jabber frame and Odis fork? Website says clearance for muddy 2.3's, Id guess that is the rear, but I have read here someone posted 2.4's on the front with the Odis. This would be the ideal set up for me if someone can confirm. Thanks Vassago friends

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Odis

I've had both Schwalbe RR 2.4 & WTB Weirwolf 2.55 tires on my ODIS front end with no issues.
    Zeke

Low Rep Count
    I was riding a 2.2 Wolverine on the rear with the wheel fairly closed to being slammed in the dropout. When I pulled the wheel on Thursday to swap my tires out I noticed all sorts of nice scratches on the insides of the seat and chainstays from where mud and all sorts of crap was rubbing. I suspect 2.3's work provided your wheel is further back in the drop out.

As far as the front goes I would think you could go considerably larger as mentioned above.

Robtre
    Ok got my first Jabber build done, cant figure out how to post a picture?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD View Post
    Looks good! I have the same frame/color but in the 16" and love it. I also have the same cranks (M960). Not sure how you feel about it but you can make them look alot cleaner/prettier than the way the sit right now in your picture. If you haven't seen the threads on here do a search for Modded M960 cranks. If you aren't comfortable doing it, there is also a place that you can send them out to (as I did) to have them modded and ceramic coated (cost about $150) but they come back as basically a brand new crank set! Oh, and they will weigh even less! Mine are 170mm and the arms and spindle weighed in at 460g (w/out bb and chainring/bolts).

The first pic is what they look like now. (I sent them back when I got the Jabber frame to have them recoated. The second is what they looked like when I got them (used off ebay) and the last one is what they looked like the first time I sent them in and got them coated.
    Thanks 1SPD, i plan on chopping and polishing it just waiting on my new ring (HBC). I really like the way the ceramic coat finish looks. I might go that route if I dont like the polished look.

Low Rep Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    The most recent incarnation of mine. Sort of, the squishy fork is back on the bike while I sell my two rigid forks. Salsa fork rides great, but axle to crown is too short. Ritchey fork it too stiff for my taste, but I like the axle to crown. Soul Cycles make a steel fork that fits the bill.

Not that there is really anything new on my bike but I just thought I would show an update of our friends. Meet the 3 Amigos!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see those Vassago Jabberwocky builds....-seneca-ridge.jpg  

Bro Mountainbiker
    I borrowed a longer travel short chainstay/wheelbase steel hardtail yesterday for my ride.

It totally reminded me of how much I take my jabberwocky for granted. Im still head over heels for my j-wok! Its rides like a dream.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Low Rep Count
    You know the Jabber is a great riding bike in general. I can say that it feels a little slower in the twisties due to the longer wheel base (yes, I have my rear almost slammed) but other than that I am quite happy. I am still quesitoning whether or not I should have gone with the medium rather than a small frame though.

I have no idea what my next frame will be (largely a financial issue) but I do believe that it will have some large shoes to fill.

Robtre
    Same ting' mon! Ive been on my Jabber 2 weeks and I love it! I do have to disagree with the handling I have more confidence than ever on this bike and I push hard into the corners. I am 6'5" and my 22" frame just soaks it up. I like the long wheelbase.

Low Rep Count
    I'm not saying that I can't carve it up mind you. I do have a shorter fork on my bike which makes things steer a little quicker which honestly has probably helped me out more. I do love the bike but can say that it just isn't as flickable as my old 26er and I still can't manual this thing. (not that the seat height is helping much with that either)

Robtre
    Haha I gave up on anything "flickable" when I bought my first 29er. I have been interested in getting another 26'er for that purpose. I try to roll almost everything on my 9'er unless I hit something with enough speed to get it off the ground. In my mind its like the station wagon from National Lampoons vacation getting airborne!

mtbr member
    I'm 6"1 and ride a medium which fits me perfect (even though my seatpost sticks way out of the frame), the bike seems very flickable to me and this thing rigid can do twice as much stuff as my old 26er S-Works Hardtail. My Salsa Maxle (20mm thru axle) and 2.5 WTB Dissent in the front goes over and down most anything, at what seems to me, pretty fast.

I love the geo on the bike and if Vassago never comes back I'll be saving the specs on the geo and going custom for my ext bike.

Going back to 26ers is like telling your wife you were wrong about something. You just don't do it!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    just built an older White Jabber, Reba race, thomson stem and seatpost, LX cranks, e thirteen blue 32t ring, red anodized anser riser bars,

try to post pic soon, so far been an awesome bike, going for the patriotic theme, red white and blue

I'm 6'2 riding the 18, and so far I'm pretty happy with it, long seat post but the frame feels really good

Robtre
    I have had a difficult time with my sliders, I am a clyde, had a couple issues with my wheel sliding forward braking and I tried stuffing a 2.3 in the back and it rubs. I am going to add a couple links to my chain and move the hub back a bit see how that does.

beautiful jackass
    I'm 6'5" on a large frame and I have no problem manhandling the hell out of my Jabberwocky

This is the first time in my life I haven't had bike envy.

more beers, lees gears.
    Quote Originally Posted by robtre View Post
    I have had a difficult time with my sliders, I am a clyde, had a couple issues with my wheel sliding forward braking and I tried stuffing a 2.3 in the back and it rubs. I am going to add a couple links to my chain and move the hub back a bit see how that does.
    You need a skewer with an internal Cam. Not external. I have tried 3 or 4. Including some from mavic and salsa. The only one that is strong enough to prevent b'brake jack' has been an old Shimano XT.

vassago said they would sell a replacement wheel thumb holder, but never did last i saw. the newer jabbers dont have the issue.
    A burrito is a sleeping bag for ground beef.

Robtre
    My Jabber is brand new, and I had Shimano XT hubs on my old bike wheelset. WHere can I get a skewer with internal cam? I have a new wheelset AMerican Classic "terrain" model and I am using the AC skewers. (which I dont like)

mtbr member
    Not that there is really anything new on my bike but I just thought I would show an update of our friends. Meet the 3 Amigos!
    They are gone I wanted to take a pic of my new Nimble 9 with them yesterday, and they were not there. No sign of them anywhere.

more beers, lees gears.
    @robtre dont you have the new thumb screw axel holders? I cant find pics on their site anymore. No parts at all. But i know they have all new ownership as of this time last year, and they have been making some changes.

XT rear skweers are around used, on ebay. The difference between the external and internal Cam is the internals can put more consistent pressure and more of it and the externals.

Low Rep Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    They are gone I wanted to take a pic of my new Nimble 9 with them yesterday, and they were not there. No sign of them anywhere.
    Seriously? Well that sucks! Those guys have been there since at least Dec some time. I remember seeing them out there with their little elf hats and then stumbled on your last photo with them. Perhaps when the park guys did their walk thru/inspection of the trail they removed them or something. I bet some damn animal rights activist thought it was going to give the wild life out there emotional disorders and opted to remove them to prevent any rioting from the local wild life in the area.

mtbr member
    Seriously? Well that sucks! Those guys have been there since at least Dec some time. I remember seeing them out there with their little elf hats and then stumbled on your last photo with them. Perhaps when the park guys did their walk thru/inspection of the trail they removed them or something. I bet some damn animal rights activist thought it was going to give the wild life out there emotional disorders and opted to remove them to prevent any rioting from the local wild life in the area.
    They have been out since October. I first saw them on the Epic. I would assume they will come back, but who knows.

mtbr member
    Got my first ride in on my brand-new-used Jabber. My buddy sees yet another new bike of mine and asks if I'll ever ride my geared hardtail. I said, "Yeah, of course". The frame felt great, the carbon fork was REALY nice compared to the steel I was used to, and running low pressure in the tubeless Crests was like riding on a cloud. On the way back I was asking myself if I'd ever ride my geared hardtail again. If I can get the hang of lofting the front end I'm sold.

beautiful jackass
    ^ great pictures. Can you tell me how you took it, and how you got that look?

more beers, lees gears.
    What you are seeing in the photos that I assume you like, is a shallow depth of field. Very wide apertures (f2, maybe up to f4) and a distant background will isolate the object, and create a butter smooth background.

beautiful jackass
    I'm using a Canon S95, which has good manual settings for aperture, but I don't know how well a shot would look with the whole bike in the frame.

Most shots where I have the whole bike in the frame look very flat.

more beers, lees gears.
    The dude at Big Wheel Deals has a great way of making his stuff pop using the same low aperture method.

Also, a great place to shop for big wheel deals

mtbr member
    I sent you a PM donkey.

Point and shoot cameras may have wide-ish apertures, but the small sensor limits the shallow depth of field you get with SLRs. I really think if you wait for good light (like I didn't), find a nice wide open background (open field, long straight road) and keep that camera still you'll start getting good results.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Nice!

singletrack bound

Jabber Rehabilitated

as promised.....
    my reincarnated Jabber comes back to life!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see those Vassago Jabberwocky builds....-jabber-rehab-i.jpg  

Lets see those Vassago Jabberwocky builds....-red-jabber-ii.jpg  

Lets see those Vassago Jabberwocky builds....-jabber-rehab-iii.jpg  

Lets see those Vassago Jabberwocky builds....-red-jabber-iii.jpg  

Lets see those Vassago Jabberwocky builds....-red-jabber-i.jpg  

Lets see those Vassago Jabberwocky builds....-vassago-repair-iii.jpg  

Sorrel Seeker !!

more beers, lees gears.
    yeah, i heard the original owner of vassago had to sell to pay for some child medical bills and the new owner is not as quality and 'in it for the long' focused. Parts and customer support for vassagos are already long gone.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Jabbers and Banders firesale: $293 shipped. Even less than black friday! Buyers beware though, there's some chatter about what's going on with Vassago right now.

Vassago*from Hucknroll.com

Whats up with Vassago?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenaustin View Post
    Jabbers and Banders firesale: $293 shipped. Even less than black friday! Buyers beware though, there's some chatter about what's going on with Vassago right now.

Vassago*from .com

Whats up with Vassago?
    Looks like that price is a glitch on their website. Just went to buy one and the actual price $391.16. Confirmed this with their live chat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm looking for a 16" frame if anyone has one?

mtbr member
    Two rides in and so far i'm loving it. 21.4 lbs as it sits now. Got a '12 Reba RLT w/ 15mm maxle coming so that should bump it up to ~23.5 lbs. Can't wait to try the reba out on this thing.

Low Rep Count
    Again, another small frame with two water bottles on it. How did you get the second cage on there? Mine only has one set on the down tube.

mtbr member
    Again, another small frame with two water bottles on it. How did you get the second cage on there? Mine only has one set on the down tube.
    Previous owner of the frame had them installed by 3D Racing out of Durango. Also had some installed on the underside of the downtube. They are the rivet type.

Low Rep Count
    Do you think you could snap a picture of it for me and email it to me at rishellc@mail.nih.gov or post it up here? I would greatly appreciate seeing how this was done.

mtbr member
    Do you think you could snap a picture of it for me and email it to me at rishellc@mail.nih.gov or post it up here? I would greatly appreciate seeing how this was done.
    Sure thing, I'll snap some pics tonight when I get home.

mtbr member
    Seattube mount

and the downtube mount

Low Rep Count
    Sweet! Thanks for putting these up for me! Now I just gotta figure out where to get them and what is needed to do it.

Ride-Drink Beer-Repeat

2nd cage

Don't need anything to put a 2nd cage other than neoprene hose clamps. Get them at your local auto store. Never move. Never come off. Until you want them to.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see those Vassago Jabberwocky builds....-2ndcage2.jpg  

Lets see those Vassago Jabberwocky builds....-2ndcage.jpg  

The Internet: All the piracy, none of the scurvy.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    just got a jabberywocky from huck and roll. But they dont have any gearplugs. any idea where i can find a gearplug2

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    did the 2nd gen ever actually make it to release?
    crap! i gotta learn to climb.

Low Rep Count
    Well, I didn't get the second water bottle on just yet (we actually have the tool here at work so I ordered a nut kit that should be here in week or so). None the less, made a few changes over the past few months.

New items:
    XTR race brakes
    Hylix carbon bar ends
    New wheels: Hope hubs, Crest rims, Sapim spokes
    Ashima rotors w/ ti bolts
    Ti bolts to replace stock rear hub bolt on bolts (shaved about 33g)
    Still waiting on HBC cog

Finally broke 20 lbs! Wt w/ new wheels is 19.53! Not bad for a mass produced (well not even produced any more) steel frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see those Vassago Jabberwocky builds....-new-wheels.jpg  

Lets see those Vassago Jabberwocky builds....-rear-close.jpg  

Lets see those Vassago Jabberwocky builds....-rear.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    May 2012
    anyone running drop bars, like the salsa woodchipper on one of these?

mtbr member
    Well, I didn't get the second water bottle on just yet (we actually have the tool here at work so I ordered a nut kit that should be here in week or so).
    Man, its gonna be scary to drill holes in your frame!

Let us know how you feel about your new brakes. I've been ready to pull the trigger on those for some time now. Also I'm not sure if I should go with the m985 race version or the m988 trail version.