Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Let's see those Non-suspension corrected 29ers Please!

I'm considering building up a simple rigid single speed 29er at some point in the not too distant future. It may be a collaboration with a local aspiring builder, and it got me to thinking this morning........at 5'9" tall maybe it is time to try a non-suspension corrected rigid 29er to see how that might feel for someone my height.

I was also thinking it would/could be a bike where I ride from my house, up the road, and on some dirt roads to get to some fun singletrack just a couple of miles up the hill from my house. Again, the nonsuspension corrected front end might suit the rides to the trails real well and it possibly could be good for climbing and whatnot around here. IT might be a handful through our rocky trails, but it might be worth it to make things that much more "challenging" or "different" if you will.

I'd love to see some examples of your bikes, setup, what fork you chose etc. etc. So please throw up some photos of your rigs and tell a little bit about why you went the nonsuspension corrected route.

Thanks!

Mark

BWG
    mtbr member
    Here's my recently built 69er with the Origin 8 29er fork - to give you an idea what the front end looks like. I know it's not a 29er - I have three of those - but I had this old 26" frame I never could sell, so I built this up for fun. With the rigid fork the front end is lower than the old suspension fork with 26" wheel.

Last edited by BWG; 09-02-2008 at 10:18 AM.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    I'm considering building up a simple rigid single speed 29er at some point in the not too distant future.....I'd love to see some examples of your bikes, setup, what fork you chose etc. etc.

Mark
    How about the "Let's See Those 29er Rigids!!" thread found here?

There's a ton of nice rides pictured in that thread.

BB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    How about the "Let's See Those 29er Rigids!!" thread found here?

There's a ton of nice rides pictured in that thread.

BB
    I'm perusing that thread right now, but the vast majority are suspension corrected bikes.

Geritol Power
    Quote Originally Posted by BWG
    Here's my recently built 69er
    That's the best looking 69er that I can recall seeing.

ogarajef@luther.edu
    Here is a pic for you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "RIDE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT"

mtbr member
    1strong1, is the Eon a non-suspension corrected 29er? or it can be made into 1?
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

BWG
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duzitall
    That's the best looking 69er that I can recall seeing.
    Thank you much ... and it's alot more fun than I ever dreamed.

Harmonius Wrench

Pofahl custom

OS Bikes Blackbuck with Blackbuck 44omm axle to crown fork at 51mm offset.

Same bike with an Origin 8 430mm axle to crown fork at 43mm offset

I had an XXIX, which for 2007 and 2008 had an uncorrected fork as well.

mtbr member

my Waltworks

Here's my rigid Waltworks:

Why I went no suspension corrected: at the time I ordered, I was bouncing back and forth between a MC 29er, a 26" Specialized Epic, and the MC with a Zoki fork on it. I decided the MC with the fork was really just a compromise: I couldn't blast down the straightest line like I could on the Epic, and if I have to pick a line, why carry around suspension? I've backed off on that a bit since then, since I added a Dos Niner to my fleet. Then again, it's not really just a hardtail, either. Anyway, with the rigid fork, the WW also makes a good monstercross candidate. Right now, I have it set up with drop bars, a fixed gear, and wide (42mm) hybrid tires. It's taking a turn as my light road bike.

Eric

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted

Pofahl custom
    GT - are those inverted Mary/Space Bars on that blue bike?

Harmonius Wrench
    MMcG: Nope, those are the Origin 8 Gary drop bars, (much like a Midge Bar) and they take road levers only.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Okay, why exactly does the bike you want to build up have to be non-corrected? I mean, what advantages are there for a short A-to-C bike compared to a Niner with 490mm forks? I can't really think of any unless you've always had trouble getting your handlebars low enough, or you just don't like the look of the large gap above the tire in a corrected fork length. Is there something else?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    Okay, why exactly does the bike you want to build up have to be non-corrected? I mean, what advantages are there for a short A-to-C bike compared to a Niner with 490mm forks? I can't really think of any unless you've always had trouble getting your handlebars low enough, or you just don't like the look of the large gap above the tire in a corrected fork length. Is there something else?
    I was thinking that the lower front end would be good for our east coast trails which have short but often steep ups, and also for handling some uphill and downhill quick and tight switchback type turns. These are the two "areas" on my local trails where I sometimes feel that the 29" wheel give me handling challenges at my height of 5'9" tall.

Also, this would be a bike that would see road, dirt road, rail trail duty along with singletrack action.

I was actually hoping that posters would explain their reasons for going non-suspension corrected and help me with some of the pros and cons of their choice. For example, has the shorter front end helped them with similar situations (tight twisties, steep ups etc.) Has it allowed for the front end to stay planted better, less front wheel wandering etc. etc.

Does that make sense?

I'm actually going to try and test ride a 2007 Raleigh XXIX to see how it feels. But I figured I'd also check with the mtbr.com masses as well.

Best,
    Mark

Recovering Weight Weenie
    It's odd to see all these custom bikes with 50mm of spacers under the stem.
    Don't be afraid of a bigger headtube boys.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    It's odd to see all these custom bikes with 50mm of spacers under the stem.
    Don't be afraid of a bigger headtube boys.
    That's something that irks the crap out of me too... especially when you get into "bigger" bikes
    When I designed my frame, a longer head tube was one of the first things I designed around

try driving your car less
    This is non sus corrected, although now that i look at it, i bet it could take a susp. fork, esp. compared with the others.

It is non corrected because the front triangle was premade and came that way, I had the bike finished.

I have tried both with and without suspension where I ride. I def. prefer a suspension fork. Much more fun for me.

I actually took this bike apart. Maybe I will reassemble and try the rigid thing again someday. It's a nice bike. I will probably try a susp. fork on it, too. AC I read (edited) is 435. So about 50 mm or so lower than a REBA.

Last edited by jh_on_the_cape; 09-05-2008 at 10:47 AM.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    This is non sus corrected, although now that i look at it, i bet it could take a susp. fork, esp. compared with the others.

What fork is up front? And do you recall the AC height and the offset?

try driving your car less
    What fork is up front? And do you recall the AC height and the offset?
    kelly fork. maybe you can find the AC on the web? if so, please share...
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    A little update to share.

I test rode a Raleigh XXIX at lunch today. I dug the fit of the medium and the lower front end of the bike, but HOLY CRAP was that RAleigh fork ever rough! I couldn't imagine riding that thing on our trails here in New England. It would have to be replaced with something a little more forgiving right off the bat.

It was a cool feeling though - the frame itself sorta fit like a 26er - but you had those big hoops to roll over stuff a tad bit easier, yet I felt as though that front end would stay planted on the trail (but man oh man was that fork rough).

mtbr member

Last edited by singlespeedstu; 09-03-2008 at 12:21 PM.

Map Maker
    too many photos side by side has made this thread a bit messy
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

mtbr member
    Here is mine. Below pictures are before and after the "transformation". Quick version of the story: Bought a used Hunter 26" SS frame, rode it for a year and cracked the chainstay. I was just getting intereseted in the 29er think, so I had Rick Hunter put a whole new rear triangle on it to accept 29" wheels. The front is original, so it requires a short AC fork. I was using a 420mm Pace. The bike rides great, but as you can see by the spacers, I like my bars a little higher.

My trails are probably similar to yours, East coast tight rocky/rooty singletrack (I am in southeast NY). The bike rode great for me. It took a bit to get used to the full rigid ride, but I am now riding stuff I thought not possible on a rigid bike. I really think that the slow speed very technical trails are easier on a full rigid bike because it is much more precise and not bobbing around throwing you off line. Obviously, you have to take the high speed stuff slower, but overall I am faster on this bike than any other. Unfortunately, I have no idea what the geometry numbers are, but the bike was stable and plenty quick enough for the tight stuff. This was my first 29er, so I have nothing to compare to YET!

As fun as this bike is, I am currently building up my dream bike, which will be suspension corrected so I can switch to a Fox G2 suspension fork. It will be run most of the time with a rigid fork, but it nice to have the option down the line. The new bike is not complete yet, so no ride comparison yet, but keep an eye on this thread: A Sheep of a different color!
    The hunter is being rebuilt for neighborhood/bike path duty, but I can always throw a set of knobbies on it again if I feel the need!

Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mark - did a 29er not fit in that Kelly fork?

mtbr member
    Mark - did a 29er not fit in that Kelly fork?
    I believe a 29er wheel would have fit, but it would have raised the front end. I was looking for the shortest fork that would work with a 29er wheel, and the 420mm Pace was what I came up with. I believe the Kelly forks are 435mm. BTW, it (The Pace fork) will be for sale shortly if you are interested !

Mark

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast