Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Let's See Those 29er Rigids!!

691K views 2K replies 973 participants last post by  Impetus 
#1 ·
Hey Guys, Just thought it would be cool to show off our 29er rigid bikes. Thanks JB

Attachments

See less See more
#1,019 ·
Objects in lens may seem larger than the are actually.

Somebody once said to me something along the lines of "Crap, I'm glad you don't have a light bike" and it was taken as a huge compliment.

Of course, that bike then wasn't this bike now.

As anyone who knows me knows, this is a major departure. Not that the FS bike is abandoned or anything like that (that'd be true heresy) - I just had the desire for something different in the stable and this came up last January as a possibility.

Almost six months later, the Root Bear Float was born.

Small Niner MCR, Pace RC29 fork, DT TK7.1d hoops, CK hubs, all reCycled goods. 13 pounds lighter than my FS bike.

Initial ride impression? "Doesn't suck yet" - we'll see how it hits me for longer rides, later one, it's only been on two trails so far (final build came together last week, right before rains came). I haven't regularly ridden a non-FS bike since early '02 after all.

#1,021 ·
mdb1974 said:
Thanks for the heads-up. Did some searching and found some threads, do you think they are more prone to snapping than the Marys?
to alleviate all doubts, you might want to check out on one's website and see if they have some chromo marys left (i have one and it is heavy and sturdy) or hit up rody at groovy cycles and see about one of his luv bars.

#1,025 ·
slocaus said:
Those fork legs look humongous! What is that thing, a JB Welded Reba? :D
It's a Trigon carbon fork w/ custom white paint.

465mm a2c, design for 26in wheel.

I know, I know... it's too FAT for a steel frame.
But mentally, it makes me feel more secure.

btw... Although it shows 48mm rake spec on their website, mine is 38mm.
It works good for 72 degree head angle, but I really like to try longer rake version.

#1,026 ·
basslu said:

It works good for 72 degree head angle, but I really like to try longer rake version.
I think the white makes it look bigger too. I am not one to criticize a bike on looks, it just looked big, not bad. If it works and you are confident in it, ride it. Maybe you need a fat front tire to balance it? ;)

#1,027 ·
basslu said:

That fork is great. I'm surprised more people don't paint their carbon parts.

#1,030 ·
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.