Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004

Let's pick the scab.

World Cup MTB racing....Fisher bicycles is the biggest proponent of 29" wheels in the industry.......racers ride what the manufacturers tell them to ride.....JHK and Sam Shultz are on 26" bikes........Fisher WANTS them to race 26" bikes? I'm confused?

Cloxxki, until you podium at a World Cup event your criticism of world class racers is idiotic.
    "Do not touch the trim"

Geritol Power
    This should be entertaining.

mtbr member
    And your point is what? Different bikes work for different people. Certain bikes work better on certain courses. Be happy on what you ride and stop worrying about what someone else rides. Seriously, all the time people waste griping about other peoples bikes could be put to much better use - like brewing beer, learning how to speak Pashtu, or cleaning the grout in the bathroom.
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duzitall
    This should be entertaining.
    It was entertaining the first hundred times. Now it's just worn out and sad.
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

Geritol Power
    Yes, I suppose you're right. I don't even watch those crash and burn vids anymore.

I'm home with a hurt foot so I guess I'm looking for something that's just not there.

mtbr member
    Can we get a few more ads on here now? What's up with the new ad in the middle of each first post on this site? sucks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Can we get a few more ads on here now? What's up with the new ad in the middle of each first post on this site? sucks.
    Agreed. I mean, I don't know how profitable this site is and what is necessary, but the ad in the middle of the post seems a little absurd.

Capable Newbie
    Jun 2008
    beats having to pay for a membership. not to mention the site is nicely put together and organized for such a low cost membership

Geritol Power
    Is $50 really the best deal ever on Monkeylite bars?

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    World Cup MTB racing....Fisher bicycles is the biggest proponent of 29" wheels in the industry.......racers ride what the manufacturers tell them to ride.....JHK and Sam Shultz are on 26" bikes........Fisher WANTS them to race 26" bikes? I'm confused?

Cloxxki, until you podium at a World Cup event your criticism of world class racers is idiotic.
    Okay, I'll bite because I feel I have something actually valuable to add here. We'll see though.....

This is an Olympic year, and JHK is chasing a berth on the squad and also wants to do well if he does score a slot. In this scenario he is focusing on what is known to work best and is being ultra conservative in consideration of things outside that. 29"ers fall into this "outside" category. I actually have spoken to his wife, (Heather Irminger) about this and it has been confirmed by folks I know inside the Fisher camp.

Now Sam may be a different story, I can not vouch for his choices, but I can say, it is a choice for him and the rest of the Fisher squad. They have the choice of 26 vs 29. Fisher would love to have them ride 29"ers all the time and start to win on them, but it respects what the racers want as well.

So, I don't know if you have spent any time asking the racers or the Fisher suport people what the deal is, but I have and that's their take on it as I understand it.

Probably not the "flame bait" you were looking for though, eh?

mtbr member
    GT, how dare you chime in with a rational, intelligent response!
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I'm a 29er believer, but maybe 29er's aren't the better tool for World Cup racing. I'd be Ok with that cuz' I can't remember the last time that I toed the line at a World Cup race. I'd rather ride what fits and works for me than worry about what JHK is racing. How many racers show up at the line with 4-5" trail bikes? None? Does that mean they're bad bikes?

Personally, I don't need someone to win a WC race on a 29er to feel justified...

!Vamos, flaco!
    Wait a minute, I thought the World Cup was already won by Italy?!
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    GT: In this scenario he is focusing on what is known to work best and is being ultra conservative in consideration of things outside that.

But isn't this just an elegant way to say that bigger wheels are really not the ideal setup when top performance counts?
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by serious
    But isn't this just an elegant way to say that bigger wheels are really not the ideal setup when top performance counts?
    I don't think so. It simply means they are not yet proven - there has been little chance for 29ers to be tested in serious racing because the risk has been too great. I feel it will get there - just look at how many 29ers you see in Expert class racing (lots) and the regional Pro/Elite categories (a few; more than ever for sure). It will eventually trickle up to national and international level racers in time, as we are seeing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by serious
    GT: In this scenario he is focusing on what is known to work best and is being ultra conservative in consideration of things outside that.

Perhaps, but due to the pressure of the olympics, he cannot take the risk of trying the 29er, getting it setup right, getting used to it, etc. He would rather stay with the devil he knows. Less excuses if he fails. He can't blame it on the 29.

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    Fisher also sells 26" bikes.

Guitar Ted said it better than I ever could.

Quote Originally Posted by jjrowley
    beats having to pay for a membership. not to mention the site is nicely put together and organized for such a low cost membership
    Agree, gotta pay the bills. Couldn't hurt you all to click on a link now and then. And if you don't like it, go start your own site.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

innate behaviour
    Pros will do ANYTHING to save weight. They would prefer, in many cases, to get beaten to death on an aluminum rigid to gain a couple of seconds on their competition.

Fortunately most of us do not HAVE to do this because our success in races do not pay the bills and our competitors are riding 29ers in many case too.....they get it...

Interlectchewal
    Quote Originally Posted by jet9n8
    Pros will do ANYTHING to save weight. They would prefer, in many cases, to get beaten to death on an aluminum rigid to gain a couple of seconds on their competition.

Fortunately most of us do not HAVE to do this because our success in races do not pay the bills and our competitors are riding 29ers in many case too.....they get it...
    They get that comfort is more important than speed in races?

"And the gold medal for most comfortable rider goes to . . ."

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    Perhaps, but due to the pressure of the olympics, he cannot take the risk of trying the 29er, getting it setup right, getting used to it, etc. He would rather stay with the devil he knows. Less excuses if he fails. He can't blame it on the 29.
    Yeah, I'd agree. there's definitely something to that.

Let's not forget that JHK does race 29"ers from time to time. It is just that getting to the Olympics......that's a huge goal, and then you have the typical "racer mentality" that is not willing to change things up to have better control over variables leading up to important events.

I think we will eventually see 29"ers being used on a wider scale at the World Cup level for selected courses, but not until after all this Olympic ballyhoo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tvrbob86
    They get that comfort is more important than speed in races?

"And the gold medal for most comfortable rider goes to . . ."
    Huh?

That's not what was stated at all.

Interlectchewal
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder
    Huh?

That's not what was stated at all.
    No? Then how about reading it again and explaining to me what it means.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted

I think we will eventually see 29"ers being used on a wider scale at the World Cup level for selected courses, but not until after all this Olympic ballyhoo.
    why, what are you thinking about as far as types of courses?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tvrbob86
    No? Then how about reading it again and explaining to me what it means.
    Sure, if you insist...

Quote Originally Posted by jet9n8

See, what he's saying here is the pros will sacrifice comfort if they believe that they will gain speed. He believes that a pro would ride a rigid aluminum bike, and get roughed up by the course, if they thought that it would gain them time relative to their competition.

How this translates in your mind to "And the gold medal for most comfortable rider goes to . . .", I just can't fathom.

Interlectchewal
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder
    Sure, if you insist...

See, what he's saying here is the pros will sacrifice comfort if they believe that they will gain speed. He believes that a pro would ride a rigid aluminum bike, and get roughed up by the course, if they thought that it would gain them time relative to their competition.

How this translates in your mind to "And the gold medal for most comfortable rider goes to . . .", I just can't fathom.
    Your reading comprehension is excellent. Now read and interpret the other part of the post that I quoted and to which I responded.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast