Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Lenz XC bikes v. DW Link Designs

My financial controller (wife) has granted permission to purchase a new bike this year, and as I'm turning 40, it's gonna be a good one. I currently ride a Pivot Mach 429 and have been pretty happy with it overall, especially the climbing, both technical and otherwise. I mostly ride SoCal XC stuff, with the occasionally foray into chunkier stuff, especially on trips to Arizona and Southern Utah.

For the new bike, I'd like to stick to something that is still XC, but something slightly more playful with a bit more travel. Call it "aggressive all-day XC," or some other label, but I don't need an all-mountain brawler. And whatever I get needs to climb uber well since I earn all my descents, and just generally like to climb.

So I'm thinking about either the Ibis Ripley with a 130mm fork up front (assuming it ever comes out), or the Lenz Mammoth with a 130mm fork up front.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has actually ridden a Pivot and one of Lenz XC-oriented bikes (Mammoth, Leviathan) and can comment on how the suspension compares on the ups, downs, and in-betweens

I've never ridden a Lenz, and have a hard time imagining anything climbing as well my Pivot, but then that's based on total ignorance. Like I said, I've never ridden a Lenz, and don't know of any Mammoths around that I could test ride. So thoughts from folks who have spent time on Lenz and DW link bikes (especially Pivot) would be welome.

mtbr member
    I've never ridden a Lenz. I find the DW link to be a little too soft in the early level of travel for my taste. I'm pretty hot on the VPP link from Santa Cruz as I find it stiffer in the early part of travel making climbs pretty nice and getting out of the saddle to climb actually feels like it has some merit. In the DW link I always felt I was pushing much of my pedal power into pushing the BB down more than delivering it to the rear wheel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    What about a Tallboy with 120mm on the front or the Spider Comp with a Talas on front.

Nice adjustable travel that way.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    What about a Tallboy with 120mm on the front or the Spider Comp with a Talas on front.

Nice adjustable travel that way.
    Never tried VPP--and those models are at least easier to demo than a Lenz.

I already have my Pivot setup with a 120 Talus in the front and see no reason to get rid if it for another 100 rear/120 front bike. The adjustably of the Talus is great for climbing, but I think it robs a bit from suppleness, especially small bump sensitivity. I'd rather get a bike setup around 130 or 140 of front end travel that still allowed the bars to get low enough for decent climbing without the need for a Talus. That's not easy on a 29er, though being 6'2" helps.

The Spider Comp is one I've been eying. I missed a demo day a while back, but will keep my eye out for another opportunity.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    As an owner of a Lenz Mammoth, I can tell you that is one of the best pedaling bikes that I've owned. It has a low leverage ratio and is very supple on trail chatter. It may be a single pivot, but it does not bob like other single pivots I've ridden.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by danhasdrums View Post
    I've never ridden a Lenz. I find the DW link to be a little too soft in the early level of travel for my taste. I'm pretty hot on the VPP link from Santa Cruz as I find it stiffer in the early part of travel making climbs pretty nice and getting out of the saddle to climb actually feels like it has some merit. In the DW link I always felt I was pushing much of my pedal power into pushing the BB down more than delivering it to the rear wheel.
    That is precisely the opposite experience I've had.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by D_Man View Post
    I'd rather get a bike setup around 130 or 140 of front end travel that still allowed the bars to get low enough for decent climbing without the need for a Talus. That's not easy on a 29er, though being 6'2" helps.
    Yeah dude. Tallboy LT. You'll love it.

Pick a wheel size...
    OP ...

I went through this exact same process nearly 1 year ago, 'cept I was comparing the Lenz Behemoth & Lunchbox to the Turner Sultan, DW link of course.

Here's the thread.

I had a lot of feedback from Turner Sultan/DW Link owners/riders and not much from Lenz owners - understandably so seeing as Lenz doesn't sell as many bikes as Turner.

I have yet to read anything negative about the Mammoth, to which I cannot speak to cuz I've never ridden one. On the flip side, you'd be hard pressed to find much negative on the DW-link bikes.

Ultimately, I chose the Lunchbox and couldn't be happier. Does that mean I wouldn't have been happy on a Sultan? Highly unlikely, but I can tell you I haven't had one second of buyer's remorse and not once have I second guessed my decision - especially while flogging the pi$$ outta the bike in Moab last fall in which it never missed a beat. In fact, the bike saved my a$$ more than a few times when I got in over my head!

I would not be surprised if the guy who likely has more experience than anyone with Lenz bikes, and the Mammoth in particular, will chime in shortly...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Lenz vs Dw and others

I owned a Pivot 429 for over a year and at the same time rode a Horst Link sus bike. I went to a TBc which I really liked except for BB height. My latest ride is a TB LTc which for me is the perfect balance with quick handling , stability , and BB height. The TBLTc is the perfect blend of a do everything bike. If I wanted a quicker handling bike I would go with the TBc with a Fox 140mm spaced down to 120mm. The Lenz bikes look good with a basic Horst Link design. I think the DW bikes go up very well but not down as well. Just my opinion.

mtbr member
    I have a Lenz behemoth 120mm fork I can compare it to a SC nomad Vpp
    Climbing I feel the SC has the edge as it provides more platform seated or standing
    My behemoth I find bobs if I am not seated & spinning
    I'll actually use the pro pedal on the downs for added lsc on the g outs
    Too bad I get so much flex from the wagon wheeled setup of flows/hadleys as the bike just plain rips all day everyday it's my go to fun bike that they will pry from my cold dead hands

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    That is precisely the opposite experience I've had.
    Me, too.

These days I'm on an '11 Turner DW Sultan (140mm fork, stock RP23 shock) and can't believe how well it goes both up & down hill. I contested the 2011 100 mile Cascade Cream Puff on it... If anything happened to this bike I'd do my best to replace it with another Sultan, but in any case definitely a DW link frame. After riding the Sultan I'll never consider another single pivot frame. (Which is what I rode before the Sultan. Not a Lenz but another single pivot 29er.)

=S
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If you have the time take in a day at Sea Otter and test ride...have an idea of what you're looking for, narrow it down to 4 or so bikes, then ride the hell out of them!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    It may be a single pivot, but it does not bob like other single pivots I've ridden.

Your Best Friend
    If you get a chance, demo a Giant Trance X29er. The Maestro FS is very similar to the DW link. Short chainstays and a respectably slack HA (actually measured to be 68.5*) plus the ability to climb really well. Best part is that Giant gives you an incredible amount of bang for the buck. It should be relatively easy to find one for a test ride.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Me, too.

These days I'm on an '11 Turner DW Sultan (140mm fork, stock RP23 shock) and can't believe how well it goes both up & down hill. I contested the 2011 100 mile Cascade Cream Puff on it... If anything happened to this bike I'd do my best to replace it with another Sultan, but in any case definitely a DW link frame. After riding the Sultan I'll never consider another single pivot frame. (Which is what I rode before the Sultan. Not a Lenz but another single pivot 29er.)

=S
    Me three. I own an '09 Sultan w/ 120mm fork and RP-23 (that suits me fine for all of the trails anywhere within driving distance of where I live). I've ridden a longer travel '12 Sultan, '12 Pivot 429 and other DW-link bikes (no Lenz's though).

I like the '09 geometry a little better (in a 2012, I rode an XL which was fine other than heavier and didn't feel quite as nimble as my '09 L). I also ride a rigid steel SS 29er and appreciate the double squish suspension on gnar and snappy handling attributes when bombing downhill in addition to efficient climbing that DW-link provides.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Tallboy LTc... Don't need to go into details, just look at the tallboy lt and ltc forum on mtbr. My one and only bike.

MSH
    mtbr member
    I'm in a similar situation as you. I'm a few years older than you and just sold my Racer-x 29er I had narrowed down to the TallboyC, 429 Carbon, and the (hopefully!) soon to be released Ripley. I would wait to see if Turner comes to market with a carbon 29 but i think that is still a ways off (if at all). I'll cross that bridge down the road if it does transpire. Like you I mainly ride XC here in Colorado with a couple of endurance races a year. If I was doing more racing I would stick with the TBc or the new Rocky Mtn 999RSL but seeing that I only do a few races I want a "do it all" bike. I think everyone has great suggestions so far and you certainly cant go wrong with any of these bikes.
    I bought a used TBc frame off EBay to tide me over until Ibis starts taking preorders on Ripleys. It's been a ridiculous wait for many but it sounds like it really is close to release. For me I think it's going to be the perfect bike. Anyways good luck with your decision!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    As some have said, definitely check out the Tallboy LTc.

Trail Junkie
    I have a feeling that if you test rode a Leviathan, you'd feel like your 429 was more bike. The 429 is stiffer, and its going to feel more stable on descents.

I mostly ride XC, but the last time I was in Arizona, I threw some 2.4s for that terrain and it worked out great since I was traveling and sampling everything there from the chunk of Tuscon to the forest climbing of Flagstaff (and everything in between). My TB is set up with a 120, and there were only a couple places and times on my ride where I felt like I needed more travel in the rear. So I complete get what you're aiming at...and maybe the Ibis Ripley is the route to go..no slouch on XC, and it will play well in the bigger terrain.

There is also the new Niner Rip9 RDO which may be a bit lighter than reg Rip 9 for the XC stuff, but it'll be right at home in the chunk.

Another option (and a big one) is to wait for the Yeti SB-95 to come out in carbon..I suspect that will be soon...that is one sick sick bike!
    Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon
    Lynskey Pro29 SL SS
    Cervelo S2 Ultegra
    Salsa Selma
    Soul Cycle Dillinger Gen3

Bite Me.
    I have a Behemoth, rode a Mammoth with a Loop 140, and have also ridden the Turner Sultan DW and v.1 TNT linkage, plus a few others. For all around aggressive XC riding the Mammoth would be my first choice for sure. The short stays and geometry are well dialed in. When the Behemoth is ready for retirement the Mammoth will be the pick for me. Don't notice any unwanted suspension movement. There's a screaming deal on the virtually new Mammoth frame in the classifieds right now. The Lenz is just a proven, well built, refined design. Latest bells and whistles? no, but so what?
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    I had a 3" and 4" Leviathan and they were both sick climbing bikes! Now riding a Tallboy LTa which also climbs quite well for a 135mm travel bike.
    Can you hear me now?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Having ridden a few different "pivot soup" bikes, and owning a Lunchbox and MilkMoney, I'd vote for Lenz.

The lots'o pivot bikes just feel dead to me. Small bump performance is spiky, and is just seems to be a lot of fluff for little gain.

In reading the OP's opener, my thought was Mammoth, it still is.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

ADIDAB
    I have a Leviathan 4" and love it. When climbing it performs best when seated and spinning as it will bob a little out of the saddle (I weight about 220lbs FWIW), however it's a small price to pay because the way this thing rips through singletrack and downhill, it's hard to beat. I find that in techy XC situations it just laps it up and most of the time it's my physical limits that are hit first before the Lenz' .

The Mammoth is pretty similar to the Leviathan by all accounts so I suspect you'll have a similar experience. Go for the Mammoth. I doubt you'll be disappointed.
    My LBS | Riding this and this

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Mikesee rides a Lenz and has a ton of rep power so Lenz is the best

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle View Post
    Mikesee rides a Lenz and has a ton of rep power so Lenz is the best

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast