Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle View Post
    Mikesee rides a Lenz
    Fact.

and has a ton of rep power
    Fact.

so Lenz is the best
    Highly subjective, but I'm sure he agrees with your logic.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

Yes

Single pivots pedal 95% as well as all the more complex options - or the same if you've got a good platform valve shock and have it set up decently. They don't break as easily, they don't require constant maintenance, they don't make noise, and they're light and simple. I've always been a single pivot guy for those reasons and I think they're pretty darn good ones.

"Pivot soup" is hilarious!

To the OP - if I were you I'd go Lenz.

-Walt

Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Having ridden a few different "pivot soup" bikes, and owning a Lunchbox and MilkMoney, I'd vote for Lenz.

The lots'o pivot bikes just feel dead to me. Small bump performance is spiky, and is just seems to be a lot of fluff for little gain.

In reading the OP's opener, my thought was Mammoth, it still is.
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Single pivots pedal 95% as well as all the more complex options - or the same if you've got a good platform valve shock and have it set up decently. They don't break as easily, they don't require constant maintenance, they don't make noise, and they're light and simple. I've always been a single pivot guy for those reasons and I think they're pretty darn good ones.

-Walt
    In all seriousness, the reasons you've stated really do make compromising on all out performance attractive, Walt.

=S
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Rohloff
    I've had a few a single pivot bikes, including a Lenz. I got into virtual test riding of bikes on MTBR and started thinking I needed one of these new fangled, multi-articulating, virtual pivot bikes. Then I got out and did a lot of real test rides. What I figured out is they're all good in their own way. The virtual pivot bikes bob just about as much as single pivot bikes. A little bob isn't that big a deal. I also learned that an active suspension is often preferable on rough terrain.

In the end, I found I like my single pivot bike and I quit trying compensate for what I thought I was missing by using the pro-pedal all the time. I now ride with the pro-pedal off most of the time and don't have a big desire for a new bike. I will say that one of the biggest things I notice testing different bikes is a little bit of extra suspension gives a lot of extra cush.

The other thing I'll say is that while all bikes ride a little different due to slightly different geometry, the Lenz really sticks out on the the far end of the scale. The relatively short chainstays and high bottom brackets give them a unique ride. They are high performance toys for riders that like to manual their way through chunky terrain. Their agility requires a little extra attention, but will reward a good rider who knows how to work it. That said the Mammoth seems to fall a little closer to the center. It's definitely on my short list for a future toy.