Mtbr's 2016 Winter Biking GearReviews and Roundups

FAT BIKES

WINTER APPAREL

TRAINERS

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Lapierre Zesty TR 429

Anyone familiar with Lapierre bikes? I'm looking at a Zesty 429 TR at The Racery website. I started looking at a Raleigh D880, but after looking at the other bikes they have I thought the Zesty looked like a sweet bike.
    I've found a couple reviews, but wondering about any "real world" experience.

Thanks

mtbr member
    I looked into them a while back...almost pulled the trigger on a used one. The only psychological 'turn-off' for me is that they are under the same parent company as Diamondback. But they sure appear to be in a completely different league....head and shoulders above.

EDIT: I'm not sure I have the 'full picture' of the corporate relationships. The parent company is "Accell Group" and they have many other brands, including Raleigh and Redline. I would highly doubt that very much actual bike design/engineering/manufacturing are shared between Diamondback, Redline, and Labpierre (or any of their other brands).

(Accell Group - The Premier Cycle And Fitness Group - Accell Group,Accell,Koga,Batavus,Lapierre,Seattle Bike Supply,Loekie,Sparta // About us > Profile)

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Yeah, I just talked to a buddy who was in the bike biz. He wasn't sure if it was the same parent company or if the Accell group was just an importer. He believed Lapierre was a French company. I guess it wouldn't matter to me anyway, I recently bought a Raleigh cyclocross bike from that same place and was thinking about the Lapierre.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I have a xr 529 Ei for 5 months, very good care, but ei system fail, went to the shop an the system was full of mud I will apply warranty but it should not happens?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I wondered about that Ei system. I actually called The Racery and spoke to a sales person. He said that they had replaced the Ei system and rear shock on a different bike and it worked great. They said they could swap out the rear shock to a Monarch or RP23 or something similar. I guess the Ei isn't part of the front fork.
    I had started off looking at a Raleigh D880, I think I may shift back to that one. It looks like it has a better parts build anyway.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    There's a thread here which is mostly about the XR, but you might get some good info:
    Lapierre an their 29er FS

I've had an XR529 frame with EI for over a year now, and its been a great bike. The EI does work amazingly well, if suspension efficiency is something that concerns you.
    Think Specialized brain, only much more seamless. The suspension is always in the correct setting for the terrain that you're riding on. For me the best aspect is that the suspension goes into open setting, as soon as you stop pedalling, whereas the brain will wait until you hit a bump, or on a normal duelly, you have to flick the switch yourself, of just leave it in platform mode.

I have a 2014 model, which came with the computer head unit, from 2015 they stopped coming with this. I've had a few issues getting the display to register properly. This doesn't affect the suspension, but just means that you can't see what mode you are in, or how much battery life you have left. They did replace the system for me ( I had to fit it ) but I got a 2014 system again, which had the same issue. I'm waiting on the new system to come into the country.

The bikes seem to be well made and are great value.
    Lapierre XR29ei, Chris King LB Carbon, XTR 1 X 10
    On-One Scandal 29er SS

mtbr member
    Not sure what size you need, but a buddy of mine has a XL Zesty 429 for sale... search the denver area craigslist. Several guys at his shops got LaPierre's and love them.

I demo'd my buddies Zesty 429 for a quick ride... it was a size too big for me so my impression is skewed... he had it set up w/ 130mm Fox in the front. I felt it was very balanced and quite plush. The suspension seemed to have a good balance of responsiveness to pedal input without bob or squat and felt pretty active. I liked it... although his build was a bit on the heavy side, but I'm also riding a weight weenie bike compared to his setup. I will say the chainstays are long which goes against the newer geos...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm looking at either Medium or Large, I'm right in the middle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerTex View Post
    ... Raleigh D880...
    Errr..you meant Redline D880

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by namdoogttam View Post
    Errr..you meant Redline D880
    Yes. But as you pointed out earlier, it's all one parent company, so whatever