Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Lapierre an their 29er FS

Hi all,

I know you USA folk don't get a lot of the Lapierre bikes over there, but still just wondering what people know about their new offering this season - in particular the XR which is their 4" dual suspension XC race weapon.

Interesting suspension design, a few early reviews around the traps rate it pretty highly so far.... none have hit our shores yet here but I'm interested to see it in the flesh.

Oh I heard that with the suspension design it has no issues with Specialized patents and so can be sold in the USA...

XR Team | Cycles Lapierre

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    No-one even has an opinion on this bike was hoping for even a bit of discussion about the design

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

It's a good-looking bike, that's for sure...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I started a thread about this a while ago. The responces were lukewarm to say the least.

New suspension platform to rival the Brain?

I think it could be a great idea though, and if Di2 can take off so well on the road, why not this. I think the technology will need to filter down to bikes in most peoples price range for it to become popular.
    Lapierre XR29ei, Chris King LB Carbon, XTR 1 X 10
    Planet X Dirty Harry
    Chiner 29er SS

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by lokisare View Post

I know you USA folk don't get a lot of the Lapierre bikes over there,
    Knowing this.....

No-one even has an opinion on this bike
    Why are you surprised of this?

Bike looks interesting but beyond that I couldn't tell you crap about it.

mtbr member
    Looks like its got a boner.

mtbr member
    Ok I was studying the pic and was wondering....is the seat stay a "flex stay" a la Cannondale or is there another pivot/bearing/link that I can't see??

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Check out this pic:

Gallery: Lapierre XR Team 29er ? First Look - BikeRadar

Has a pivot above the BB, but it doesn't have a pivot at the rear wheel, so the stays will flex. Similar to other designs out there.

The unique thing about the Lapierre though is if you get it with the electronic shock:

Ei Shock | Cycles Lapierre

Works similar to the brain, but uses an accelerometer on the handlebars to control the rear shock, instead of an inertia valve at the rear wheel.
    Planet X Dirty Harry
    Chiner 29er SS

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I don't think they'll need to patent the design.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Knowing this.....

Why are you surprised of this?

Bike looks interesting but beyond that I couldn't tell you crap about it.
    Because there are people in the rest of the world as well... and they have the interweb too

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Haven't seen this bike but being in France I see a lot of Lapierres in the shops and on the trails. Gorgeous bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Spoken to my LBS about this bike, they had a demo day on one. The guy that rode it, I know very well and he rides very well. He said it was a very good bike and was impressed. You just got on it and it (the suspension) worked. It worked really well, it's a fast bike. You have a selection of 5 settings. Hard for XC racing, it was awesome for smashing it out, climbing out of the saddle etc. And then switch to soft for carving down hill, worked fine. A very competent bike.

Seems to me that this system will be very good. Most other systems are a reactive systems, and therefore behind the ball. This system is more pro-active, so it should show an advantage. Possible this is where the industry will go (car industry has gone this way, look at German sports cars). Remains to be seen how it is taken up, how it runs in the wet and mud and how annoying it is when the battery runs out.

FYI

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Very interesting. I am a sucker for technology. But I'll wait until the third year for both de-bugging and lower prices.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The one I was looking at was EI option but I was thinking just the fox CTD shock. I'm not sold on the EI idea yet

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have an XR 529 (non EI version) and first impressions are great. Very fast bike and nice quick handling. It is amazing value for money for a full carbon bike - a Stans Crest or similar wheelset, carbon bars and seatpost should have it down to 24lbs. for very little money.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil S View Post
    I have an XR 529 (non EI version) and first impressions are great. Very fast bike and nice quick handling. It is amazing value for money for a full carbon bike - a Stans Crest or similar wheelset, carbon bars and seatpost should have it down to 24lbs. for very little money.
    Thanks for your reply Phil, good to hear. If I get this bike I will be getting it without a test ride so I'm keen for any feedback you have on the bike. Sounds like you like it.
    What kind of bike did you ride before, is this your first 29er? I'm looking at the middle model with the X0 / X9 build which comes in at about 23lbs out of the box with no pedals. I love XT shifting tho.
    I do mainly XC marathons, XC lap races like 24s and 12 hours and XC racing, at the moment I have a HT and FS both 26 and I can't afford to buy two 29ers... I'm trying to decide whether to get a HT first (like a scott scale) and keep riding my 26er FS for the hours of single track laps in a 12 hour, or get something like this lapierre which should do everything pretty well....

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I got it without a demo ride as well, I tried nationwide (i'm in the UK) but was told there was no chance until maybe late next year (!) In the end I had to go off the geometry chart, compare to bikes I'd demoed and my current bike (not really comparable as a 26" HT).

The most comparable bike I've ridden is a Specialized Epic carbon, although I much prefer having the Fox CTD shock on the Lapierre for on the fly adjustment. I'd say the Lapierre also feels a bit more nimble and chuckable than the Epic on twisty trails. It's also lighter and way cheaper! I'll be using it as my only MTB for trails, marathons, xc races etc. Similar to your requirements I'd say.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    The responces were lukewarm to say the least.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I got it without a demo ride as well, I tried nationwide (i'm in the UK) but was told there was no chance until maybe late next year (!) In the end I had to go off the geometry chart, compare to bikes I'd demoed and my current bike (not really comparable as a 26" HT).

The most comparable bike I've ridden is a Specialized Epic carbon, although I much prefer having the Fox CTD shock on the Lapierre for on the fly adjustment. I'd say the Lapierre also feels a bit more nimble and chuckable than the Epic on twisty trails. It's also lighter and way cheaper! I'll be using it as my only MTB for trails, marathons, xc races etc. Similar to your requirements I'd say.
    Thanks again Phil, ironically if I get the 729 I'm going to be getting it from the UK and shipped to Australia because the importers are not bringing in that model - only the Team and 529 are coming into Australia.

Just one more question, I don't suppose you got a real weight on your bike in comparison to the Lapierre published weight? I'd like to know how it compares if you did, I know they weigh their bikes without pedals not sure whether they weigh them with or without tubes...

Found that bikeradar reviewed the 529 recently Lapierre XR529 ?*First Ride Review - BikeRadar

Quote Originally Posted by robindevo View Post
    The responces were lukewarm to say the least.
    Thanks for the reply but could you give some details? Your post isn't that helpful as it is. Are you talking about reviews somewhere, can you link them or at least include a few points about what was said.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The weight is spot on. My large was 11.7kg with no pedals (Lapierre quote 11.5kg which I guess is for the small model). I didn't do it to save any weight but changing the bars (needed much wider ones) and stem (went shorter but not 100% convinced on that yet) knocked 150g off the start weight if that matters to you.

One of the reasons I went for the 529 is that the standard wheels are a crazy 2.4kg (from what I can find online, haven't bothered weighing them myself yet), so in theory you can save 1kg+ and have a bike lighter than the 729 just by changing these to a light tubeless setup.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Lokisare, is the Team not to your liking?

My local Brisbane store will be getting a demo bike soon. Come up here for a conference mate, and tee up a demo ride.

Cheers

William

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Haha I'd love the team, unfortunately full-time student status means no conferences and a budget that just can't stretch to the team :-( not another year anyway until I graduate.
    Having said that I much prefer the colour scheme of the 729! Am in contact with my local dealer here too so may arrange something, but still no demos for some time.
    Going to hit up the specialized demo days this weekend just to ride a HT versus dual sus 29er to see if that helps te decision making

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamK View Post
    Lokisare, is the Team not to your liking?

My local Brisbane store will be getting a demo bike soon. Come up here for a conference mate, and tee up a demo ride.

Cheers

William
    Which shop is that? Are they getting the EI version?

Whats the Aus price?
    Cheers
    Planet X Dirty Harry
    Chiner 29er SS

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Ok I was studying the pic and was wondering
    Last edited by duncaterro; 12-12-2012 at 08:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I tested the XR529 Vs Scalpel 1 & 2. Actually, I'm still not convince where i will go for my next bike. They are both great, but the XR is faster and more reactive Vs the Scalpel. Sure I tested the XR with American classic Race wheels, and this is exactly what this bike needs, light and reactive wheels, then it's really a rocket race !! Even this, I guess I'll buy the Scalpel, cause in Europe Cannondale is easier to sell after few years, and I have a small preference for the look of the Scalpel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Such a tough decision, I test rode the Specialized Epic and Fate on the weekend and I enjoyed the Epic a lot more than I did the Scott Spark which I test rode a while ago. Make me realise how much difference there is between 29ers! Buying without a test ride is scary.

I liked the Epic but it's just sooo expensive... the Lapierre is a little different too which I like, if it handles as well then it'll be great.

I wonder if I will be able to fit a drink bottle in the small frame?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Sure, best thing is to test before...I had the same problem, make the right choice! Like for love, listen to your heart :-) I did it and I choose the Scalpel :-)
    They are both fast and confortable bikes..For the bottle I didn't test it

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    So decision is made! My local dealer is offering me some support which means the team model is within my reach. So I've taken the plunge and I'll let you know how the XR Team rides early in the new year :-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Great ! Believe me, this bike is rocket and he is riding like a race bike. I like the team too but not in my budget, and the XR729 is a little bit too dark. What is the cost price for LP in your side?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'm new here And I just tested the LP, so I only give my personal feeling. Lapierre is popular bikes in our country and their reputation is growing too.
    So, what you did finally ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Largoraf View Post
    Great ! Believe me, this bike is rocket and he is riding like a race bike. I like the team too but not in my budget, and the XR729 is a little bit too dark. What is the cost price for LP in your side?
    The Lapierre bikes are pretty reasonable prices here, I think the Team retails of around $8500 normally and the 529 is about $4300 (Australian dollars that is). For the weight and spec of the bike it's pretty good, especially as the 529 would be well under 11kg with light wheels on.

Quote Originally Posted by waitejasoe View Post
    I started a thread about this a while ago. The responces were lukewarm to say the least.
    14 posts in half an hour and none prior to that... either add some substance to your post or it looks like you're spamming...

I'm new here And I just tested the LP, so I only give my personal feeling. Lapierre is popular bikes in our country and their reputation is growing too.
    So, what you did finally ?
    I think waitejasoe is a spammer...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Well, when I tested the 529, originaly weight was11.5 kg (without pedals), but I tested it with American Classic RACE wheels, and it was pretty funny ! This is exactly what the bike needs, light and reactive wheels. American classic race weight was 1.380 Kg, perfect weapon !!
    The only negative point for me on the 529 is the Reba, that's it...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Well, when I tested the 529, originaly weight was11.5 kg (without pedals), but I tested it with American Classic RACE wheels, and it was pretty funny ! This is exactly what the bike needs, light and reactive wheels. American classic race weight was 1.380 Kg, perfect weapon !!
    The only negative point for me on the 529 is the Reba, that's it...
    Yeah I agree, the stock wheelset on the 529 is around 2.3 - 2.4kg so with the race classics it would be around 10.5kg without pedals. That's awesome for the lowest spec in the range of XR bikes.

I also prefer the SID over the Reba fork, but at the price the 529 retails at it's still a very nice looking bike.

I really like the colour combination of the 729, stealth black. But it's not being imported into Australia, however I'm super happy I'm going to get the team.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    With the Ei Shock?
    OMG 10.4 kg the team...tssttt you will fly with this bike!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    With the Ei Shock?
    OMG 10.4 kg the team...tssttt you will fly with this bike!
    I don't think I am getting the EI shock, but yes 10.4 with a 1700g wheel set, so when I put on some Stans Race Golds for race days and some lighter tyres....

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Keep me informed ! :-)

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I will, I won't be getting the bike until early January though. Can't wait.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Same for me. I will have my Scalpel around the 10 Januaray, too long !!! Even if winter is really here, I want to ride with this new spad! In your side, it's summer time, mhhmmm...I saw your blog, nice ti ride there...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Great choice Lokisare. You have got your self onto a rocket there and it will do more than just XC as well. A super capable bike, I think you will be very happy.

Most of the LP range rides really well and are very balanced - a pleasure to ride. They are very underrated and more capable than some of the bigger brands. I think these XRs will be special. Congratulations!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hi guys - I too have ordered the 529 without a test ride - I'm in the UK and it proved impossible to find one in stock, let alone get hold of one to demo!

My only concern was that it's 'too XC' to cope with some of the trails I'd want to use it just seems like such a good bike for the money relative to anything else I can find that I've gone for it anyway.

In terms of upgrades - interesting point about the wheels, I didn't realise they were so heavy. Can anyone recommend a good (and very light) complete tubeless set up to upgrade to?

I'd also upgrade to wider, carbon bars I think.

One further question - would it be possible to add a dropper post and route it through the internal routing system or would the cabling have to stay external?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Try American Classic Race or ZTR Crest :-)

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hope make light and affordable wheels using stans rims, I think wiggle stock them (i know they do in 26"). Called the hope hoops.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    thanks - they have them in 29er version too... looks good.

Any advice on which bars to upgrade to? I'd like to get some wider, carbon ones but don't want to mess up the handling - not really sure how wide is sensible on a 'XC' bike..?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    For 29, 650 mm minimum, maybe better to start with 680 as test! This is what I will do, make it shorter to 680 first

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo124 View Post
    thanks - they have them in 29er version too... looks good.

Any advice on which bars to upgrade to? I'd like to get some wider, carbon ones but don't want to mess up the handling - not really sure how wide is sensible on a 'XC' bike..?
    Can't help with bars as I currently run 600mm so even 660 is wide to me. But my advice would be to test out the stock ones first as they might help you decide on width. Especially if it's your first 29er like me. Too wide is where you can't get between trees.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    @Lokisare, you actually run with 600 on 29er? Really?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    No sorry on my 26", I will not have a 29 er until January 7th. Then I will have to work out optimal bar width for 29 for myself.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Gutted... just been to pick up the bike I ordered and it doesn't fit! I ordered a small but there's no clearance above the top tube when I stand over it. Anyone else have this issue? Does it even matter? I sat on an Epic and Camber at the weekend and clearance was much better... so annoying as I had my heart set on the XR 529

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    How tall are you? What's your inseam? Can you straddle the bike at all? Does it matter, well I think it's a personal thing it's not something I would probably even think to check. How often do you find yourself in that position on the trails?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    5'6 and 29", I can stand over it ok but it's a little bit too close for comfort to be honest... And yeah I guess it wont matter that often but it's more just knowing it's not perfect really.

Think I might have to stick to a Specialized as they seem to have more standover height, or perhaps a Scott Spark but haven't managed to try one of those yet

Stokeless Asshat
    Stand over is over rated really. At least for me and most I know. For some it's quite important.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I actually thought the XR rides smaller than you'd expect. I'm only 5'11" and ride a large comfortably.

I upgraded the bars to Kinesis Strut carbons (750 wide and 160g) and a shorter turbine stem. I have ridden Llandegla and Cannock trail centres on it so far and it is absolutely perfect. I do think some rockier downhills will make the Rebas feel a little out of their depth though as the rest of the frame will descend so quickly.

On the bottle cage thing, on my large the bottle just scrapes the shock mount as you insert it (a little annoying but it's not going to wear through 20mm of solid carbon any time soon) so I guess the dimensions will be identical in that area across the size range, otherwise they wouldn't bother to fit the bosses!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I actually thought the XR rides smaller than you'd expect. I'm only 5'11" and ride a large comfortably.

I upgraded the bars to Kinesis Strut carbons (750 wide and 160g) and a shorter turbine stem. I have ridden Llandegla and Cannock trail centres on it so far and it is absolutely perfect. I do think some rockier downhills will make the Rebas feel a little out of their depth though as the rest of the frame will descend so quickly.

On the bottle cage thing, on my large the bottle just scrapes the shock mount as you insert it (a little annoying but it's not going to wear through 20mm of solid carbon any time soon) so I guess the dimensions will be identical in that area across the size range, otherwise they wouldn't bother to fit the bosses!
    Still waiting to get mine! Impatiently waiting because of all the slow down over Christmas and New Year it's not in store yet.

Would a side entry bottle cage help with the bottle fitting in? Not exactly sure where you mean it's rubbing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hi Lokisare. I'm also from Australia, and I managed to get the bike shop to special order the team frame for me, so I can build it up how I want. I also wanted the 729, but like you said, they weren't bring it out here. No news as to when I'll be getting it, but originally they said mid January.

Keep us informed as to when you get news about yours! I'm guessing it will be in the same shipment.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Spoke to my shop today, they spoke to the distributor and the shipment is expected on the 12th with the distributor, so the shops are expecting them late next week... Although it depends on processing times with the distributor.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    never heard of this brand but it looks nice

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for the info lokisare!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    A ride onboard my XR529 yesterday (don't expect anything amazing!) I'm still absolutely loving it but still deciding on what summer wheels to get (no rush for that around here though!).

Edit: I can't post links yet (<10 posts) but if you search on YouTube for vhnwEhFfHIw you should get it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Sweet video made me jealous and looks like your bikes handles the big rocks pretty well. The trails looks pretty nice too! Looks a bit cold tho, maybe that's not such a bad thing seeing as my local trails were shut on the weekend due to 40 degree heat (that's 104 F for the yanks) and extreme fire danger

The vid is here for those too lazy to google it ;-) Cannock Chase Monkey Trail - Lapierre XR529 - Jan 2013 - YouTube

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    There's no chance of trails being shut for fire danger here, it was even snowing a bit on that ride. It's the first time I've tried the big rocks on this bike, I lost my line a couple of times which I didn't do on the Cotic BFe (last time I did that section was a couple of years ago though). The Lapierre does have less front travel, steeper angles and less grippy tyres (I probably had supertacky minions and the Pikes wound out to 140mm travel last time) but I think it was more to do with it being slippery, leaving the seat right up and not being 100% confident as I've only done a couple of clipped in rides on the MTB so far.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I just spoke to the bike shop, and apparently they are expecting my frame to be delivered to QLD on the 23rd of this month. So I should have it after the Australia day long weekend.

Do you have your bike yet lokisare?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by relaxx View Post
    I just spoke to the bike shop, and apparently they are expecting my frame to be delivered to QLD on the 23rd of this month. So I should have it after the Australia day long weekend.

Do you have your bike yet lokisare?
    Nope, but the end of this week would be the earliest I think, really hoping its this week not next week. Haven't spoken to the shop this week yet tho.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    A camera phone snap of mine from out on a night ride tonight, it was crazy icy! You can just about see what I mean regarding the bottle being a tight fit with the suspension mounting. As you pull it out on an angle it scrapes the mounting however it is solid carbon there and will never wear through, but it will scratch the paint I guess...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lapierre an their 29er FS-2013-01-15-19.30.06-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    WOOOOOHOOOO I finally picked my bike up last night need to spend some time working out my set up but it looks so nice.

Unfortunately it's absolutely flogging down with rain here at the moment so the trails are going to be wet all weekend

Hopefully I can get some time on it before maybe racing it next weekend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Great news Lokisare, and I think you are pretty lucky too as I hear that the Aus importer has already sold out of stock - underestimated the demand.

Send us a picture and a report when you can mate - enjoy!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I picked up a WTB Stryker XC 29 wheelset for my XR 529 last week - it was reduced to £240 ($380) and already came with 15mm front and 142x12 rear so no need to buy extra axles! They weren't quite as wide (at 19mm internal) or quite as light (1600g) as I wanted, but at less than half the price of the AM Classic Race 29s I thought it was worth a shot.

I fitted up some tubeless Racing Ralphs and weighing the original wheels vs the new ones it lost exactly 1kg off the bike weight. Not bad for a cheap upgrade! I tested them out round The Beast at Coed-y-Brenin (which is a very rocky and fast trail) and they worked a treat. The bike overall felt amazing round there.

The bike is now at 10.6kg and owes me $4000 - buying everything brand new

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hi guys,
    Just joined this forum.. I ordered an XR 729 EI in December.. STILL waiting on it though.. I've been told its down to a dispatch delay. I've bought Mavic Crossmax SLRs to put on it. Along with an XX cassette, lightweight carbon bars, stem and seatpost. So hoping the weight shud drop considerably without the standard finishing kit and 1800g wheelset! .

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Well I finally rode my bike - albeit only for about half an hour last night. At the moment it feels a bit strange but that's to be expected it's my first 29er and it's going to take some getting used to.

Like I said in earlier posts I actually wanted the 729 (not available in Australia) and ended up getting local shop support and team version. I'm not too sure I like the XX grip shift and the formula brakes and will consider swapping out those parts for shimano XTR, however I think a remote rear suspension lockout is going to be the shizzle!

The bike comes in around advertised weight, I have a heavier saddle and some XT pedals on and she's just over 11kg with stock wheelset. Advertised 10.4 without pedals so that's about right. I'll loose about 300g with the Stans Race Golds...

I've cut down the bars to about 645mm, the seat post has been cut down to size as it was too long (better than too short!). The cables needed trimming and the brake cables still need shortening however the bike was shipped with long cables and no spare olives which is a little slack on Lapierre's side I think. All the cables were SUPER long on a small frame bike!

Stuff still to do: I have a black saddle coming, convert the rear race gold wheel to the 12x142 for a race set. Like I said potentially change to shimano brakes and trigger shifters (I find the reach on Formulas a stretch with my small hands).

Here's some photos, more ride reports to follow.

Lapierre an their 29er FS-img_0204.jpgLapierre an their 29er FS-img_0202.jpgLapierre an their 29er FS-img_0205.jpgLapierre an their 29er FS-img_0203.jpgLapierre an their 29er FS-img_0201.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Very nice indeed..

Can't wait to get hold of mine... I reckon with my upgraded wheels saving 180g, xx cassette shaving a massive 185g, and bars, stem and seatpost saving 310g it shud be under 10kg.. Also got schwalbe EVO tyres ordered today saving another 365g off the stock tyres so that'll compensate the extra 350g the EI SHOCK adds!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Looks nice in the small size, definitely a bit faster looking than my large! My front brake cable is mega long but I haven't got round to shortening it yet.. If it aint broke don't fix it!

Here's a bit more onboard footage from last weekend, giving the new wheelset and tubless Ralphs a good test. The camera angle is all wrong but I thought I'd upload it anyway.

<iframe width="500" height="281" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UfzKPGs3rvw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I love my bike! I race it last weekend and OMG I loved it. For a full report have a look at my blog in the signature. But basically for 82km of rocky single track at Mt Stromlo this bike was amazing!!!

One other thing is that I feel the rear shock might be prone to get some mud/dirt off the rear tyre. So I fashioned a little mudguard, I'll let you know if it makes much difference. Lapierre an their 29er FS-img_0218.jpgLapierre an their 29er FS-img_0220.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I picked up my xr729 EI yesterday evening.. Complete with carbon bars, stem, seatpost and pedals.. Got Mavic SLR wheels with a sram xx cassette.. Just back from my first ride and WOW!!!!! What a bike.. And the electronic shock is just awesome.. Worth every penny.. No need to adjust on different terrain, just let the servo do its thing in auto mode...
    ))))

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice2ie View Post
    I picked up my xr729 EI yesterday evening.. Complete with carbon bars, stem, seatpost and pedals.. Got Mavic SLR wheels with a sram xx cassette.. Just back from my first ride and WOW!!!!! What a bike.. And the electronic shock is just awesome.. Worth every penny.. No need to adjust on different terrain, just let the servo do its thing in auto mode...
    ))))
    Awesome, sounds great. Show us some photos when you get some!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Cheers... I did try to load photos from my iPhone but the forum didnt seem to like the file format...

Ill def sort it out tomorrow though...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Cheers... I did try to load photos from my iPhone but the forum didnt seem to like the file format...

Ill def sort it out tomorrow though...
    might be the file size, I don't think it likes anything over 2meg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Photos as promised!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lapierre an their 29er FS-image.jpg  

Lapierre an their 29er FS-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Great to see more people enjoying their XR's, I am dropping mine back at the shop today as I have somehow broken the forks. They lock up once sagged (apparently called hydro locking following a burst seal), which is a shame as I was hoping to race it this weekend.

Lokisare - I run a very similar thing on the front and rear of mine, they sell them as a product over here (Mucky Nutz | Mountain Bikes | Road Bikes | XC | DH | UK Made Parts & Accessories) which should keep most of the mud off during the winter and help the shocks last a bit longer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Oh... Not good... Do u mean they sag before they lock in lockout mode or they simply won't compress past the sag percentage??

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Lockout is turned off, If they are fully extended and you compress them quickly they seem fine. If you lean on to sag them to 30% ish then try and compress them further they don't budge at all.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    What technology do you mean...

Shame about the front fork.. Hopefully it won't be with fisher too long!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I think they mean the EI stuff like on your model, which to be fair I think isn't too badly priced for such new technology. How do you find it rides? Or have you not had long to test yet?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I love it... It's a very simple system if you understand it. A servo adjusts the shock and accelerometers do the measuring in auto mode. Remote control toy helicopters use this technology. It's very effective indeed.

You can hear the servo adjusting as you ride.. Stiff shock climbing automatically becomes a soft tail without a single input.

I'm loving it and all for 350g.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Great to see more people enjoying their XR's, I am dropping mine back at the shop today as I have somehow broken the forks. They lock up once sagged (apparently called hydro locking following a burst seal), which is a shame as I was hoping to race it this weekend.

Lokisare - I run a very similar thing on the front and rear of mine, they sell them as a product over here (Mucky Nutz | Mountain Bikes | Road Bikes | XC | DH | UK Made Parts & Accessories) which should keep most of the mud off during the winter and help the shocks last a bit longer.
    PhilS - sorry to hear you are having fork issues :-( that sucks that your bike will be out of service when you wanted to race. Hope it gets fixed super quickly.

Would love to know exactly which one of those Mucky Nutz you're using to protect your shock, looks a bit more pro than my home made jobby. Are you using a front one on the rear as well? I'm assuming the under saddle one does nothing for shock protection.

Photos as promised!!
    Brice2ie that looks so sexy, I love the stealth black of the 729 - it was what I wanted in the first place and although I love my Team I still think stealth black is awesome!

In an update on mine, I've just gone to XTR. I tried the XX grip shift for two races but it wasn't for me and the formula brakes, although light, didn't suit my super small hands. So I went to XTR trail brakes, rear mech and ispec rapid shifter pods. I've also put on some comfy ergon grips after getting blisters in my 5 hour race on the twisties.

I'm stoked with the change, comfy and the ispec mounts make the front of the bike clean and uncluttered. I also am a big fan of shimano brakes having had XT on my old bike so I'm loving the lapierre even more.

It weighs in at the moment at about 10.5 - 10.6 complete with pedals (giving Time ATAX XC6s a try out), a 250g saddle, and an XT cassette on the Race Gold wheelset with Conti race sport RaceKings 2.2. Can probably loose another 100-150 grams with XTR cassette and lighter saddle but I'm pretty stoked considering I've gone for some slightly heavier options by swapping out the brakes and shifters.
    Last edited by lokisare; 02-21-2013 at 06:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    That sounds awesome.. I loved xtr... I fitted the whole groupset to my bike last year and loved the solid feel through shifting, the brakes also felt better on the hand.

I keep hitting the finger shifter on the x9s.. I think I tend to lean my finger on it as unlike shimano it shifts pushing forward rather than pulling it.. I'd like to think ill be able to keep them though rather than needing to buy more unnecessary parts, especially when it won't save weight!!! lol..

I actually prefer the Team colours myself.. lol.. Maybe we should swap frames... lol..

I'm not racing it until march so I've a while to used to the setup..

Like you though, I'm really loving it .

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Would love to know exactly which one of those Mucky Nutz you're using to protect your shock, looks a bit more pro than my home made jobby. Are you using a front one on the rear as well? I'm assuming the under saddle one does nothing for shock protection.
    It is one of their original ones that I had on the front for a few years, but I think it is similar to what they sell now as the bender fender lite.

Good choice on XTR, I've always preferred Shimano!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    It is one of their original ones that I had on the front for a few years, but I think it is similar to what they sell now as the bender fender lite.

Good choice on XTR, I've always preferred Shimano!
    Cheers, after looking at their site today I've ordered a few! Might be able to avoid the old mud in the eye as well in wet races with on the front, but looks like the front bender fender thingy should work front and rear like you say! Thanks for the tip, might look a bit more professional than my pasta packet job!

Yeah happy with the Shimano makeover - I got the new XTR rear mech with the clutch mechanism which should eliminate chain slap too. The XTR brakes feels so smooth whereas the formulas felt a bit juddery. The ispec mounts make the front end look clean and tidy with the single mount, shifting is solid shimano style. Hopefully I can sell the other parts and almost cover the costs.

I actually prefer the Team colours myself.. lol.. Maybe we should swap frames... lol..
    Haha the look of the Team has grown on me since getting it, it looks pretty good in the flesh.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I've used them for years on the front and they work really well (Pair it with a crud catcher on the downtube in winter and you stay almost completely mud free on the front) although it doesn't look half as muddy where you are!

What I like about them is they keep the mud off the fork stanchions so the seals and stanchions last a lot longer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Bump

Okay guys and gals, how are your Lapierre XR rockets going. You should have a few more miles under the belt now, can I tease a follow up assessment out of you. Did they meet your expectations? Are they as fast as they seem?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Well I'm loving it more and more... I've had many £3500+ bikes and this tops them all...
    I'm currently in the process of adding xx grip shifters and rear mech...

For me, the EI shock Is amazing. Once u get the pressure right it's simply unbeatable.. It's extremely adjustable and the auto mode is so quick to react to the terrain it's creepy.. Worth every penny..
    My regular lap times have dropped so much.. I was a hardcore hardtail rider that has finally been convinced a full sus can be a great xc racer!
    Ive changed alot of the components on my 729 but that was my intention which was the main reason I didn't get the Team model.
    Last edited by Brice2ie; 03-12-2013 at 05:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'm loving mine, it's been super wet here so I've been on the roadie instead but I'm racing again this weekend in a 100km race so I'll report back after that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'm still very happy with mine too! First ride last night after a couple of weeks off the MTB while fixing the forks. Even with my winter wheels on it still amazes me how fast it climbs, really feels like cheating to me. Downhill my speed is only limited by being stuck behind the rider in front :-)

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Raced 100km on the weekend, couldn't be happier with the bike (apart from a sidewall tear which is not the bike's fault!). Each fire road section I used the remote lock out and while it wasn't quite a hardtail it was easily firm enough to be fast, at the end of 100km I still got my (strava) 4th fastest time up a single track climb that I've raced on many occasions, 2 of the 3 other fastest times are the only other race on this new bike. In other words, with 100km in my legs I was still faster up a single track climb (20 mins worth) than I've previously been on a 26er Ht and dually.
    One of the other girls I know has just bought the 529 in a small, we're both racing a 24-hour in teams this weekend - so the bikes will be like little (non-identical) twins :-)

I would 100% recommend this bike, I'm not having any regrets and I can honestly say that I can't think of a dually 29er I would rather be on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Sound great Bricie, thanks for the feedback. And with Phil S, everyone's happy.

Congratulations Lokisare, sounds like you are really smashing it out now. Awesome to hear.

Cool bikes guys and gals.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Lapierre an their 29er FS-12-1-.jpg

Today's ride. Still no sign of summer here yet...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Got my XR 529 a couple of days ago...wow...out-of-the-box it's with NO competition.
    I was gonna order the 729... BUT hey....it wasnt worth the money...I'm gonna spend the difference on American Classics Race 29 wheels and carbon post/stem/bar....and still be cheaper than the 729 + getting nearer 10-10,5 kg. Still snowy conditions here but I really like this bike...No more Specialized for me!...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The mud guard!! What happend...did it work or was it a debris collector?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hi. Looking for a FS 29er and lusting a Lapierre XR. Came on this thread today. Its the only independent and sensible info I can find on the bike on the whole web. Thanks. All of you seem to be rocking out on your bikes.

Its helped me make up my mind that I definitely want an XR. I've looked at the specs and decided that I'd be better with the 529 and then spend a bit on a lighter wheel set (East on EA90 half price for £350) and maybe carbon bars.

But I really can't decide on whether to get the EI or not. Bikeradar has a full review of the non EI 729 taken from March's What Mountain Bike (Lapierre XR 729 Review - BikeRadar) and its big negative is that it suffers from pedal bob. That hasn't been mentioned anywhere in this thread. But those of you with the EI have really rated it.

So what do you notice is the difference vs the manual CTD lever. Is it just convenience of not having to think about settings. Would I miss anything if I didn't have it? Or should I just do the sensible thing and buy the Anthem X 29er 1 which is over £1000 cheaper and only about a pound heavier?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hey there..

Well I got the xr729 EI. And I'd def not go back.. I've had a s-works specialized with the brain, and 2 scalpels, and this is simply in a different league. Having met a guy in Exeter who also has. 529, he's loving it.. He's raced the wiggle series and hasn't had any need to use the ctd adjustment while riding.
    With the EI, I've often had to ask friends what the shock is doing as I've a fear with the technology letting me down but (touch wood) it's been flawless. Easy set up and great in auto! I guess ud have to have a play on both for a truly independent answer. And that article wasn't very honest in my opinion! I've had no fork flex from the SIDs as it suggested and as for bobbing.. All id say is ride the s-works or the cannondale.. Then ull know what bobbing is!!
    I think you'll be very happy with an xr. If u like gadgets like me then ull love the EI, but from everybody with the CTD, I think you'll be just as happy! And there's to a of weight saving to be had, I saved over a kilo so far with Mavic slr wheels, xx cassette and carbon bars, stem and post!
    Hope that helps!!
    Last edited by Brice2ie; 03-30-2013 at 03:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks Brice2ie.

I guess I'd be happy with either. Would be a massoive step up in bike from my current rig. But might go for the EI just so I've no regrets.

Have tried a Scalpel and Spark so far. Loved the Scalpel but it WAS the 1 model at £6000. Carbon wheels were really stiff but front was too high. Didn't like the CTD on the Spark (couldnt decide which setting to be in) but perhaps just didnt have enough time to get used to it - currently on a 26" HT.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Well i was an old school 26" ht nut!! And didnt think any bike would convince me otherwise! Then I rode an XR!!
    I'd be amazed if you had any negative feedback from buying one, other than your work or family life suffering as you just want to bike all the time... )
    And I do think that all models have a wide scope for upgrades do just drop in at the price that suits and go from there!
    Just a point.. Add 350/380g onto lapierre weights to allow for the EI shock.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4