Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Lapierre an their 29er FS

Hi all,

I know you USA folk don't get a lot of the Lapierre bikes over there, but still just wondering what people know about their new offering this season - in particular the XR which is their 4" dual suspension XC race weapon.

Interesting suspension design, a few early reviews around the traps rate it pretty highly so far.... none have hit our shores yet here but I'm interested to see it in the flesh.

Oh I heard that with the suspension design it has no issues with Specialized patents and so can be sold in the USA...

XR Team | Cycles Lapierre

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    No-one even has an opinion on this bike was hoping for even a bit of discussion about the design

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

It's a good-looking bike, that's for sure...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I started a thread about this a while ago. The responces were lukewarm to say the least.

New suspension platform to rival the Brain?

I think it could be a great idea though, and if Di2 can take off so well on the road, why not this. I think the technology will need to filter down to bikes in most peoples price range for it to become popular.
    Planet X Dirty Harry, SID XX, Chris King, Rotor 3D, Sram X0
    On-One Scandal 29er SS

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by lokisare View Post

I know you USA folk don't get a lot of the Lapierre bikes over there,
    Knowing this.....

Quote Originally Posted by lokisare View Post
    No-one even has an opinion on this bike
    Why are you surprised of this?

Bike looks interesting but beyond that I couldn't tell you crap about it.

mtbr member
    Looks like its got a boner.

mtbr member
    Ok I was studying the pic and was wondering....is the seat stay a "flex stay" a la Cannondale or is there another pivot/bearing/link that I can't see??

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Check out this pic:

Gallery: Lapierre XR Team 29er ? First Look - BikeRadar

Has a pivot above the BB, but it doesn't have a pivot at the rear wheel, so the stays will flex. Similar to other designs out there.

The unique thing about the Lapierre though is if you get it with the electronic shock:

Ei Shock | Cycles Lapierre

Works similar to the brain, but uses an accelerometer on the handlebars to control the rear shock, instead of an inertia valve at the rear wheel.
    On-One Scandal 29er SS

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I don't think they'll need to patent the design.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Knowing this.....

Why are you surprised of this?

Bike looks interesting but beyond that I couldn't tell you crap about it.
    Because there are people in the rest of the world as well... and they have the interweb too

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Haven't seen this bike but being in France I see a lot of Lapierres in the shops and on the trails. Gorgeous bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Spoken to my LBS about this bike, they had a demo day on one. The guy that rode it, I know very well and he rides very well. He said it was a very good bike and was impressed. You just got on it and it (the suspension) worked. It worked really well, it's a fast bike. You have a selection of 5 settings. Hard for XC racing, it was awesome for smashing it out, climbing out of the saddle etc. And then switch to soft for carving down hill, worked fine. A very competent bike.

Seems to me that this system will be very good. Most other systems are a reactive systems, and therefore behind the ball. This system is more pro-active, so it should show an advantage. Possible this is where the industry will go (car industry has gone this way, look at German sports cars). Remains to be seen how it is taken up, how it runs in the wet and mud and how annoying it is when the battery runs out.

FYI

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Very interesting. I am a sucker for technology. But I'll wait until the third year for both de-bugging and lower prices.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The one I was looking at was EI option but I was thinking just the fox CTD shock. I'm not sold on the EI idea yet

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have an XR 529 (non EI version) and first impressions are great. Very fast bike and nice quick handling. It is amazing value for money for a full carbon bike - a Stans Crest or similar wheelset, carbon bars and seatpost should have it down to 24lbs. for very little money.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil S View Post
    I have an XR 529 (non EI version) and first impressions are great. Very fast bike and nice quick handling. It is amazing value for money for a full carbon bike - a Stans Crest or similar wheelset, carbon bars and seatpost should have it down to 24lbs. for very little money.
    Thanks for your reply Phil, good to hear. If I get this bike I will be getting it without a test ride so I'm keen for any feedback you have on the bike. Sounds like you like it.
    What kind of bike did you ride before, is this your first 29er? I'm looking at the middle model with the X0 / X9 build which comes in at about 23lbs out of the box with no pedals. I love XT shifting tho.
    I do mainly XC marathons, XC lap races like 24s and 12 hours and XC racing, at the moment I have a HT and FS both 26 and I can't afford to buy two 29ers... I'm trying to decide whether to get a HT first (like a scott scale) and keep riding my 26er FS for the hours of single track laps in a 12 hour, or get something like this lapierre which should do everything pretty well....

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I got it without a demo ride as well, I tried nationwide (i'm in the UK) but was told there was no chance until maybe late next year (!) In the end I had to go off the geometry chart, compare to bikes I'd demoed and my current bike (not really comparable as a 26" HT).

The most comparable bike I've ridden is a Specialized Epic carbon, although I much prefer having the Fox CTD shock on the Lapierre for on the fly adjustment. I'd say the Lapierre also feels a bit more nimble and chuckable than the Epic on twisty trails. It's also lighter and way cheaper! I'll be using it as my only MTB for trails, marathons, xc races etc. Similar to your requirements I'd say.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    The responces were lukewarm to say the least.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil S View Post
    I got it without a demo ride as well, I tried nationwide (i'm in the UK) but was told there was no chance until maybe late next year (!) In the end I had to go off the geometry chart, compare to bikes I'd demoed and my current bike (not really comparable as a 26" HT).

The most comparable bike I've ridden is a Specialized Epic carbon, although I much prefer having the Fox CTD shock on the Lapierre for on the fly adjustment. I'd say the Lapierre also feels a bit more nimble and chuckable than the Epic on twisty trails. It's also lighter and way cheaper! I'll be using it as my only MTB for trails, marathons, xc races etc. Similar to your requirements I'd say.
    Thanks again Phil, ironically if I get the 729 I'm going to be getting it from the UK and shipped to Australia because the importers are not bringing in that model - only the Team and 529 are coming into Australia.

Just one more question, I don't suppose you got a real weight on your bike in comparison to the Lapierre published weight? I'd like to know how it compares if you did, I know they weigh their bikes without pedals not sure whether they weigh them with or without tubes...

Found that bikeradar reviewed the 529 recently Lapierre XR529 ?*First Ride Review - BikeRadar

Quote Originally Posted by robindevo View Post
    The responces were lukewarm to say the least.
    Thanks for the reply but could you give some details? Your post isn't that helpful as it is. Are you talking about reviews somewhere, can you link them or at least include a few points about what was said.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The weight is spot on. My large was 11.7kg with no pedals (Lapierre quote 11.5kg which I guess is for the small model). I didn't do it to save any weight but changing the bars (needed much wider ones) and stem (went shorter but not 100% convinced on that yet) knocked 150g off the start weight if that matters to you.

One of the reasons I went for the 529 is that the standard wheels are a crazy 2.4kg (from what I can find online, haven't bothered weighing them myself yet), so in theory you can save 1kg+ and have a bike lighter than the 729 just by changing these to a light tubeless setup.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Lokisare, is the Team not to your liking?

My local Brisbane store will be getting a demo bike soon. Come up here for a conference mate, and tee up a demo ride.

Cheers

William

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Haha I'd love the team, unfortunately full-time student status means no conferences and a budget that just can't stretch to the team :-( not another year anyway until I graduate.
    Having said that I much prefer the colour scheme of the 729! Am in contact with my local dealer here too so may arrange something, but still no demos for some time.
    Going to hit up the specialized demo days this weekend just to ride a HT versus dual sus 29er to see if that helps te decision making

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamK View Post
    Lokisare, is the Team not to your liking?

My local Brisbane store will be getting a demo bike soon. Come up here for a conference mate, and tee up a demo ride.

Cheers

William
    Which shop is that? Are they getting the EI version?

Whats the Aus price?
    Cheers
    On-One Scandal 29er SS

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Ok I was studying the pic and was wondering
    Last edited by duncaterro; 12-12-2012 at 07:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I tested the XR529 Vs Scalpel 1 & 2. Actually, I'm still not convince where i will go for my next bike. They are both great, but the XR is faster and more reactive Vs the Scalpel. Sure I tested the XR with American classic Race wheels, and this is exactly what this bike needs, light and reactive wheels, then it's really a rocket race !! Even this, I guess I'll buy the Scalpel, cause in Europe Cannondale is easier to sell after few years, and I have a small preference for the look of the Scalpel.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast