Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Lapierre an their 29er FS

78K views 225 replies 44 participants last post by  fredbooxe 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I know you USA folk don't get a lot of the Lapierre bikes over there, but still just wondering what people know about their new offering this season - in particular the XR which is their 4" dual suspension XC race weapon.

Interesting suspension design, a few early reviews around the traps rate it pretty highly so far.... none have hit our shores yet here but I'm interested to see it in the flesh.

Oh I heard that with the suspension design it has no issues with Specialized patents and so can be sold in the USA...

XR Team | Cycles Lapierre

#125 ·
Have been riding my XR 529 for a couple of months and WHAT a joy....bought the American Classics MTB race 29 wheelset....and what a difference it made...it´s not the fact that it shaved over 1 kg "off" the rotating weight...the "NO flex" feeling is actually more impressing. One thing I have to solve is how to "after fit" a manual remote for the rear suspension....it´s not something you want to fiddle with during a race...not so convinced anymore that the EI is for me...I like manual. At the last race I had the opportunity to try both Spec. Epic Expert and the Trek Superfly Elite and got that fuzzy fealing...I made the right descision choosing the XR. Thought of going 1x10 but I'm not shure...don't you "max out" to fast going downhill?

#126 ·
I'm slightly confused...
If you already have the XR529 the EI option isn't an option, unless you but another complete XR as its still not available as an individual system. At least not in the UK.

I guess it depends on what rear shock you have fitted.. Fox do rear shocks with, on the fly adjustment. I've no idea what rock shox do at the moment. Very few people I've spoken to who have the Fox CTD with remote say they never use the remote as they leave it in "T" in races, never feeling the need to adjust it!

#127 ·
Don't be confused...

I just ment WHEN it's available...I won't buy it..I LIKE the option to switch the bike into "ridgid"-mode...Rock shox is not an option...I like the CTD..and want it in 2-mode only "ridgid/"T"" and a solution is the remote for my front suspension (rock shox) BUT "slightly tweaked". Thats the way I want it..Manual..

#128 ·
I think the electronic suspension thing is going to take off the next 12 months or so, I wouldn't be surprised to see this concept get developed and adapted to more and more bikes. While I think the EI would be nice I also like the simplicity of having a mechanical cable operated system... I think my ideal would be a race bike with the EI because I do sometimes forget to switch and find I've been climbing in fully open or descending in trail.

On the upside I am loving my bike, I fall more in love with it every race and haven't yet found anything it can't do. I've finally updated my blog with more race reports so if anyone is interested the link is in my signature I think.

#151 ·
While I think the EI would be nice I also like the simplicity of having a mechanical cable operated system... I think my ideal would be a race bike with the EI because I do sometimes forget to switch and find I've been climbing in fully open or descending in trail.
This is why this system (the E:i) works so well for beginner riders! There is no thinking about what the proper position for this trail section is. They just ride. I am a little more experienced than the beginner (but not much), and I find myself listening for the whirl sound of the servo-motor as I ride. I smile every time I hear it. I am riding faster and more efficiently than ever, but not getting beat up by a suspension that is too stiff. I don't have enough experience or brain cells sitting idle to remember to adjust my rear shock on the fly. Luckily for me, I no longer need to!

#129 ·
Had mine for 7 months now, still going pretty well! Did the Mountain Mayhem 24hr on it last weekend and I was sailing past everyone, which was nice!

When racing I always just leave my bike in trail mode. I'm usually too broken to think about changing shock settings, or the climbs are too bumpy anyway!

I have a 100km race on it this weekend, which I know is going to be brutal as it is my local trails and all twisty singletrack, short steep climbs and short steep descents. Barely any rest or sections to get in a rhythm where is where I'm usually good.

1000 mile report on my bike:
- The Reba forks needed a service after less than 200 miles. Putting that down to the bad winter!
- Changed to Gore sealed gear cables (the originals didn't last long in our winter as mud got in the liners where they come out by the BB)
- Freehub on original wheels sounded bad from the start and turned crunchy after less than 200 miles (I have a few wheel options so not using the original wheels at the moment). Can't get a replacement either as even hotlines can't ID it!
- Rear Fox shock bushings developed play during last weekends race. Quick and easy change
- Paint cracking around the rear pivots - Looks like it is just where aluminium inserts for shock and bearing mounts are meeting the carbon of the frame, hopefully nothing to worry about
- Some possible stress marks in the carbon on the top of the shock mount part (on the inside of the corner where it meets the seat tube). Will keep an eye on those!

#130 ·
Don't wanna worry you but I would defo keep get an eye on them "stress marks". Had my XR 529 5 months and my frame cracked right through there. It took my LBS over a month to get the frame replaced under warranty. HotLines had a real problem trying to get hold of one, it seems they're in short supply ATM. In the end I got a XR729 frame set which defo looks the dogs tho. Love the bike, but got reservations about the frames durability now. I always check the frame over after every ride. Interestingly I have noticed that in the area that cracked, on the replacement frame, the carbon seems thicker when you put your finger up the seat tube .

#131 ·
Ouch, I will definitely keep an eye on it then. To be honest there isn't a single person I ride with who has had a carbon frame that hasn't cracked at least once. A carbon MTB is definitely something I'd only buy from new and expect to get swapped under warranty once or twice!

Nice to see you got an upgrade for your wait though - i'm not fussed if mine breaks but I would be annoyed to wait a month with no bike.

#132 ·
Being without a bike for a month was seriously frustrating especially as I had to cancel a couple of events I'd planned to do.

Hopefully my replacement's gonna last longer than the original !!!!!!

Anyway at least it seems that the warranty's a good un, A big thanks to Steve at HotLines for getting it sorted.

Every cloud has a silver lining, Looks well sexy in matt Black.

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

#134 ·
Great to see a specific LaPierre thread. Love the 729 (I have a thing for black frames), I'm picking up a new XR Team tomorrow. One of the last XLarge frames available in Aus and could 'only' get the Fox shock, Ei will be in the distance for me. Love the concept, but CTD will be a big step up all the same. I have put Enve/DT Swiss wheels, Racing Ralph/Rocket Ron tyres and an XX1 drivetrain straight on it - based on the above I hope the frame lasts - I'm 6'4 and 99kg so will no doubt stress it quite a bit.

My bike shop recommended the Team specifically for the frame strength and gave me a good deal, how could I resist! Hope to post a photo and a description of just how it rides in the next week. Cheers.

#135 ·
Sure you're gonna be impressed with the Team especially with the XX1 group set fitted, its awesome !!

By what your LBS is saying the Teams frame set is stronger. So is it made from a better quality carbon than the 529 & 729 ?? The Lapierre web site seems to imply it is :confused:

Interestingly the 2014 XRs frame has a new carbon fibre lay up to increase "stiffness" or is that another way of saying making it stronger (less crackable), Lol

#136 ·
Well, my new bike delivery was certainly sweet and sour. Sweet in the ride, the weight, performance of the Enve wheels, XX1 and LaPierre frame - working together brilliantly. What a bike!!! But...... sour in that sometime during the first weekend 3 rides I cracked the carbon. It seems that Phil S is a fortune teller and can see the future of every carbon frame!! Anyway, the new frame part (knuckle between rear triangle and shock) is on its way to my LBS and I should have the bike back on track next week - fully supported by warranty (good service). Then I get to smile again. More later, once I get going. The 2014 Team frames come with XX1 and look brilliant.... but I needed it now.

#137 ·
Mine is still holding together well, and it has taken a serious beating at a few XC races and trails here there and everywhere recently. It still amazes me how fast it goes downhill!

I've fitted a 32t Goldtech narrow-wide chain ring and an XT shadow+ mech on mine recently, so that I could ditch the front mech and shifter. It converts really cleanly due to the low mount front mech. I'm not sure how well i'll get on with marathon events and long steep climbs with that gearing though, but I love the simplicity and completely silent drivetrain, plus the pedal and forget nature of not having the chain half drop off like it does on rocky DHs with a front mech.

At the moment mine weighs 22.8lbs (without pedals so I could compare to the factory weight) which I reckon is impressive for a few minor upgrades and no weight weenie efforts at all. I've also had some chinese carbon rims delivered which are now at Goldtech being built up. Hoping they are a good deal stiffer than the WTB Stryker i'm currently running on the front (have a Ritchey WCS Vantage carbon rear wheel which is very nice!)

#139 ·
Good to hear your frame is holding up well, at the end of the day if the warranty's a good un I think It's not such a big deal if you have to have a replacement, just inconvenient. Despite this it's still a great bike!!

Mine's going, and looking, great with the new 729 frame set and it's being well used. Done some events including the Bontrager 24/12 lots of trail centre days Afan, Bodmin etc and a few XC races and it's performed without a problem apart from a change of rear gear cable. Having the rear mech cable exit from under the BB doesn't seam like the smartest place IMO.
Apart from the frame, forks and brakes I've changed everything else. Now running a XX1 chainset 28t (weak legs lol ) xo type 2 rear mech and shifter. gold KMC L chain, 1070 cassette, Jagwire ripcord cable, Mavic crossmax ST wheels and Hope mono saw rotors, Truvativ noir carbon bar, Easton stem, Thomson set back post and Fizik saddle. Comes in around 23.8lbs including XT pedals.
HELP I need to stop spending money !!!

#140 ·
I did get my XR Team back within 2 weeks and have been riding each weekend since - every ride it just gets better. Have to smile and am constantly amazed at what it does and how fast it is compared to my old Ellsworth. No further problems, the frame and bits all going well. Just wondering about a dropper seat, would be nice but not sure and it will weigh a bit on what is currently a very light bike. In short, loving it!!

#141 ·
A year has gone...well..it ain't over...but my bike has been a delight. The AC race MTB wheels was a the best improvement I ever have done/felt on a bike.... Next year I probably will switch the XT cranks to XX1 BUT it's with some hesitation due to the fact that with the current setup in front (38/26)... I run out of gears during long decents. Bought a 40T but it won't fit...any suggustions? Last race is done so I look forward to some nice recreational winter mayham...and some fiddeling in my workshop...it's time to get that rear suspension remote done...if I only had bought the Team frame!!.. ;D!

#150 ·
Thats not so good, I hope you get it fixed quick (like mine was). Since my issue (very early on) I have been good with it, rode the Cape to Cape a few weeks ago and it went brilliantly - not one issue during or after the 4 day race. Have a KS LEV Integra dropper seat now and it performed flawlessly, makes technical stuff and downhill a dream. The cable fits quite well, inside the frame and comes out below BB then up beside swingarm pivot and into seat post - just long enough! I love this bike!

#152 ·
My mates have now turned to a "Lappy" and the Ei is a constant source of discussion and amazement. I find that I use the CTD lever (XR Team, only option in Oz 2013 model) all the time, racing or just having fun. It is not a hassle and has become part of riding, but my mates with Ei do not to worry about it at all. With the LEV I also need to 'remember' to drop the seat on downhills - both levers are on the LHS of the bars, so both happen at the same time, down and up - easy. Still loving the bike and ripping up and down hills at speeds that I thought I could never do on my old bike.

#153 ·
Well, after a few weeks of long muddy winter rides I fancied a break from the weather, so I sent the importer some pictures of my frame in the areas I was concerned to see what they said:

Straight away they said to have the shop arrange a replacement, and I could keep the bike until the replacement frame arrived - bonus! It took a couple of weeks for the new frame to come, I didn't ride the bike in that time but stripped it all down and serviced some parts ready, so that I just took the bare frame to the shop and swapped for the new one.

I've now got a 2014 929 frame, not that there is any difference to my old frame other than colour and this has drillings for the EI system, which are no use to me but I do fancy making a tool box fit the battery mount (similar to Specialized's SWAT system) so I can ditch the saddle bag.

Luckily I quite like the finish of the new frame and it should match all my components OK. The bare frame weighs almost dead on 1900g (size L, no shock) and interestingly the rear triangle of the replacement (which was still factory packed) was full of water sloshing about, and the only drain hole in the entire triangle is behind one of the hydraulic brake hose mounts where the zip tie threads through. not even in the lowest point in the frame. It was a nightmare to drain!

Overall I'm happy with the service (including the 929 shock would have been even better!) and I will post a pic of the complete bike when built.

#154 ·
That's great how quickly you've had your problem dealt with... Ive just brought my XR back to the shop I bought it in.. (cracked and stress marks developing) I hope they manage to get a quick turn around on my frame.
My EI shock has also developed an intermittent problem, needing to remove the headunit and reconnect it for the shock system to work.. However I do love the system, and think its not just for newbies or people who forget the manual lockout etc.. It fine tunes while you ride which, to my knowledge, no other shock system offers. Its been a great tool throughout the race season and very easy to set up.. Anyone considering it should take the chance... you wont regret it!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.