Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
    SORBA FAN
    Quote Originally Posted by lokisare View Post
    While I think the EI would be nice I also like the simplicity of having a mechanical cable operated system... I think my ideal would be a race bike with the EI because I do sometimes forget to switch and find I've been climbing in fully open or descending in trail.
    This is why this system (the E:i) works so well for beginner riders! There is no thinking about what the proper position for this trail section is. They just ride. I am a little more experienced than the beginner (but not much), and I find myself listening for the whirl sound of the servo-motor as I ride. I smile every time I hear it. I am riding faster and more efficiently than ever, but not getting beat up by a suspension that is too stiff. I don't have enough experience or brain cells sitting idle to remember to adjust my rear shock on the fly. Luckily for me, I no longer need to!
    Define love? My 2008 Gary Fisher HiFi Carbon. Is that Debbie Gibson singing, or is it my heart?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    My mates have now turned to a "Lappy" and the Ei is a constant source of discussion and amazement. I find that I use the CTD lever (XR Team, only option in Oz 2013 model) all the time, racing or just having fun. It is not a hassle and has become part of riding, but my mates with Ei do not to worry about it at all. With the LEV I also need to 'remember' to drop the seat on downhills - both levers are on the LHS of the bars, so both happen at the same time, down and up - easy. Still loving the bike and ripping up and down hills at speeds that I thought I could never do on my old bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Well, after a few weeks of long muddy winter rides I fancied a break from the weather, so I sent the importer some pictures of my frame in the areas I was concerned to see what they said:

Straight away they said to have the shop arrange a replacement, and I could keep the bike until the replacement frame arrived - bonus! It took a couple of weeks for the new frame to come, I didn't ride the bike in that time but stripped it all down and serviced some parts ready, so that I just took the bare frame to the shop and swapped for the new one.

I've now got a 2014 929 frame, not that there is any difference to my old frame other than colour and this has drillings for the EI system, which are no use to me but I do fancy making a tool box fit the battery mount (similar to Specialized's SWAT system) so I can ditch the saddle bag.

Luckily I quite like the finish of the new frame and it should match all my components OK. The bare frame weighs almost dead on 1900g (size L, no shock) and interestingly the rear triangle of the replacement (which was still factory packed) was full of water sloshing about, and the only drain hole in the entire triangle is behind one of the hydraulic brake hose mounts where the zip tie threads through. not even in the lowest point in the frame. It was a nightmare to drain!

Overall I'm happy with the service (including the 929 shock would have been even better!) and I will post a pic of the complete bike when built.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    That's great how quickly you've had your problem dealt with... Ive just brought my XR back to the shop I bought it in.. (cracked and stress marks developing) I hope they manage to get a quick turn around on my frame.
    My EI shock has also developed an intermittent problem, needing to remove the headunit and reconnect it for the shock system to work.. However I do love the system, and think its not just for newbies or people who forget the manual lockout etc.. It fine tunes while you ride which, to my knowledge, no other shock system offers. Its been a great tool throughout the race season and very easy to set up.. Anyone considering it should take the chance... you wont regret it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Well I got some great news today.. Ill have my 2013 XR-729 replacement, a 2014 XR-929 frame built up on Saturday. And ill have my replacement EI-shock system fitted aswell... All done in a week.
    Extremely pleased!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice2ie View Post
    Well I got some great news today.. Ill have my 2013 XR-729 replacement, a 2014 XR-929 frame built up on Saturday. And ill have my replacement EI-shock system fitted aswell... All done in a week.
    Extremely pleased!!
    Nice one mate, bagging a 2014 frame's a right result. Every cloud has a silver lining !!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Well here it is... All built up on the 2014 XR929 frame along with the new EI system fitted..
    The shop was also good enough to mod. the bottom cable run so a full length outer could be installed, so hopefully no more rough gearing!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lapierre an their 29er FS-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Sweeeeet! Notice you have Ron on the front and Ralph on the back - exact opposite to what I run on my XR Team. I put Ralph on the front to get a bit more rubber on my (mostly) dry, hard packed tracks. Any reason for you being the other way around?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TopCaat View Post
    Sweeeeet! Notice you have Ron on the front and Ralph on the back - exact opposite to what I run on my XR Team. I put Ralph on the front to get a bit more rubber on my (mostly) dry, hard packed tracks. Any reason for you being the other way around?
    cheers... 😉. Ralph is more of a block thread so I prefer it on the rear for a more solid feel, and Ron's thread is more diamond cut so has a more directional thread pattern helping reduce rolling resistance and side blocks for cornering grip. I love the set-up. Used it most of last year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Excellent feedback, I'll check it out and next tyre change maybe give it a go. I also saw the new "Thunder Burt" tyres, might be good for racing on the right (dry) day and really light (although I'll probably wait for a snakeskin version). Love the 2014 frame BTW, looks fantastic especially with the different wheels. Total weight must be around 10-11kg? I must try to get a photo of mine up, I saw a few Lappys at the Cape to Cape in WA a few weeks ago, they seem to be getting a little more popular. Enjoy!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Yeah I really like the new frame. The steerer tube is 5mm longer.
    It's exactly 21.9 pounds so just under 10kg. Pretty good I think.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Here's some pics of my rebuilt XR with the new 929 frame. Also had to warranty the rear mech, changed to XT brakes (never liked the Formula RXs) and did the BB/headset bearings etc too. Click on the pic for the original size images.

Weighs in slightly lighter than the old one somehow (pretty sure the frames were identical, must just be the lack of mud!

My new rigid SS weighs 27lbs on the same scales

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Awesome..

Looks great.. Lapierre said a medium 2014 XR frame on average weighs 120grams lighter!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Must be all the random holes they drilled for the EI stuff

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    hi i was just wondering how you are getting on with the single speed chain ring? has the chain stayed on ok or dose it drop on the occasion? just because i am currently going to single speed and don't have a clutch on my rear mech and cant see any form of compatible chain guide for the XR frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hi Mike, I have XX1 (and associated single front chain ring) and have been using it since September. I have not had the chain come off once. Not sure how using similar may perform as a SS, all I can say is that as 11 speed, I love it!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Well 7 months have passed since Hot Lines replaced my cracked 529 frame with a lovely stealth black 729 one and its bad news again !! The bike's back at my LBS. The frame has developed some nasty looking stress marks just above the BB and a big crack below the upper eyelet on the suspension pivot has appeared !! Fingers crossed I won't be XRless too long

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Are the 2014 frames any stronger , less chance of cracking ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jonelli View Post
    Are the 2014 frames any stronger , less chance of cracking ?
    Dunno about the 2014 frames being any stronger, but I defo read somewhere that Lapierre were using a different carbon layup on this years XR frames !!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Good news after only two weeks I've been given a 2014 729 frame as a replacement Gotta say I prefer the look of this years frames. Fingers crossed it's third time lucky!!!!Lapierre an their 29er FS-photo.jpg.
    Just a pity the weather's so **** ATM

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Ok XR529 and above fans, great to see that there is a community out there liking the bikes. Had mine for a year now and couldn't bring myself to do the zip tie dropper post route although the rocket ron factory fit tyres had to go. Nobly Nics are far better for the muddy rough stuff.

Still no cracks in the frame (XL size with 100kg rider) and am very surprised at the absolute kicking the bike is taking and it still comes back for more.

Lost the metal bash tab by the front ring the other week - any ideas on what to replace it with?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Any advice on removing and installing brake hose through the frame on the XR729.
    Have been bleeding my Formulas one the bike but thinking next time removing them using the snap lock thingy on the formula brake hoses to do next brake bleed off the bike.

Also have had troubles with the computer connections on the Ei not connecting perfectly with the head unit since month one (brought bike in NZ but now living in Perth, but visiting NZ next month). Just means speedo does not work but ei still works fine, I just cannot see what shock setting is displayed unless to turn the computer 1mm clockwise to get the pin connections lining up correctly which they do for about 30 seconds of riding before the computer rattles anti-clockwise 1mm and the computer disconects again.

Excellent bike otherwise and my partner just pick up an unused second hand XR527 2013 for a great price.
    Actually on her XR527 the rear thru axle has a spacing washer on the outside of the thru axle next the axle leaver. I do not have that on my XR729. It seems strangle and a bad design as the washer can be very easily lost when removing the rear wheel and the wheel is loose int eh frame without. Is this typical on the XR527 2013 or have Lapierre have poor frame tolerance and add spacing in when frames do nto line up perfectly?
    I

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Hi, just have a quick question about sizes. I am 175cm tall and normally ride a medium. Would this be the same for this bike, or could I get away with a small?

How tall are you and what size do you ride?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Re: Cracked Frame
    I have a Lapierre XR 529 2013 the same as Phil S and I now have the cracking around the shock mount after only about 50km of light trail. Noticed the frame creaking under load and took it back to the shop. Hoping for a reasonable outcome. I'll let you know how I get on.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev.M View Post
    Re: Cracked Frame
    I have a Lapierre XR 529 2013 the same as Phil S and I now have the cracking around the shock mount after only about 50km of light trail. Noticed the frame creaking under load and took it back to the shop. Hoping for a reasonable outcome. I'll let you know how I get on.
    Bad news about your frame cracking so quickly. No doubt you'll get a 2014 frame set as a replacement. Haven't heard any or seen any negative comments about the 2014 frames, mine's holding up fine. Can't comment on everyone else's 2014 frames, but I'm sure if anyone had had any issues they'd have cropped up on this thread. Hopefully Lapierre have got the frames sorted out now.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7