Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I had my first real hit out with my new 729ei last weekend in a XC 50km race. (Had the bike for two weeks now. Lets just say that this machine is awesome. The speed going uphill was amazing. Even when I wasn't working hard up hills (big climbs) I was passing people with easy and the general roll of the bike is effortless. It also has some great downhill attributes noting I wasn't jumping over huge rock gardens. I just love watching and hearing the computer system decide what I need to be in and surprisingly times when I wouldn't have considered being in lock out previously the extra benefits were fantastic. I own a Merida oneforty B as well and it is going to be hard to decide which one to take out on weekends now. I think the Lapierre has the edge at the moment. Still playing with the set up and SAG at the moment to get the right feel.

Not sure what the fork difference is between this and 2014 models. If you are thinking about getting one you will not be disappointed.

cheers

Wazza

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have a 2014 model, so was wondering if I had a standard offset fork, or a 51mm offset one (not sure how easy it would be to measure?). I've always been interested in seeing how the 51mm forks would ride, and now it seems that more bikes are coming with them.

Does you fork have a 51mm or G2 offset sticker on it?

Good to here you're enjoying your new rig, the EI really is awesome.
    Lapierre XR29ei, Chris King LB Carbon, XTR 1 X 10
    Planet X Dirty Harry
    Chiner 29er SS

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by xcbarny View Post
    I have a 2014 model, so was wondering if I had a standard offset fork, or a 51mm offset one (not sure how easy it would be to measure?). I've always been interested in seeing how the 51mm forks would ride, and now it seems that more bikes are coming with them.

Does you fork have a 51mm or G2 offset sticker on it?

Good to here you're enjoying your new rig, the EI really is awesome.
    I will have to get back to you tonight and let you know.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have an XR 529 EI for almost 2 years now, am on my second frame and on my thirt EI system. I have the newer EI auto now and it lasted for about 2 weeks. After washing the bike, it died. Trying to get a Fox damper from Lapierre now, because i really like the rest of the bike. No more EI for me.

mtbr member
    Loving mine. Almost 2,000 miles with zero problems. It's a 2014. I just upgraded to the new e:i system and switched to full xtr and mavic wheels. I had an endurance race back in february(Vail Lake US Cup) it was pouring on us and the bike was perfect. Knocking wood.

Lapierre an their 29er FS-imageuploadedbytapatalk1434519100.325987.jpg

Lapierre an their 29er FS-imageuploadedbytapatalk1434519113.159952.jpg

Lapierre an their 29er FS-imageuploadedbytapatalk1434519130.753895.jpg

Lapierre an their 29er FS-imageuploadedbytapatalk1434519142.974421.jpg

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Nice setup. How did you manage to get the new EI?
    Planet X Dirty Harry
    Chiner 29er SS

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I have two questions for well informed members/owners since I cant find much info online.

1. Lapierre presented 2015 XR 929 with Ultimate package, but due to lack of info in English I couldn't understand is that additional package that you pay extra or they offer that as customization program so all XR 929`s are coming with Ultimate sign above 929 sticker on frame like you can see on photo in attachment?

2. I was unable to find tech specs for 2016 XR 929 Ultimate on Lapierre site (they still have 2015 & 2014 models only), although there are already used ones for sale. Can anyone post tech specs for 2016 model please

*Photo shows 2016 XR 929 Ultimate
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lapierre an their 29er FS-lapierre-xr-929-ultimate-05.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I think the Ultimate may be just a better frame on the XR929. Like Specialized do with their SWorks frames.
    Planet X Dirty Harry
    Chiner 29er SS

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Its hard to analyze what is it actually since its impossible to get to official data about Ultimate program from LaPierre.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Just found out from my dealer that I'll be getting a new computer system, which I'm pretty happy about.

I've had 2 head units, neither of which worked correctly for very long.
    On top of this issue, I'm only getting around 6hrs life out of the battery, I feel like the bump sensor isn't reacting to some hits (though I can't tell this for sure, since the the head unit isn't working to tell me what mode the suspension is in)
    It also seemed that at times, the suspension would go into open mode, on a flat surface, at around 60 rpm (supposed to kick in at 45, or 30 on the new EI). Again I couldn't prove this, as I couldn't see what mode I was in on the head unit.

Despite all these issues I still love the bike, and have had a good season racing on it. (The issues haven't prevented it from working well as a race bike).

Since I first built it up, I've made a few changes that have had a big effect on the handling:

The bike came stock with a heavy 90mm stem, but I switched this straight away for an 80mm Ritchey 260 stem, since I'd always run 80mm stems on 29ers. However I was crashing a lot due to the front wheel washing out. After a few months of head scratching (and possible broken ribs) I figured out that I didn't have enough weight on my front wheel, so I switched the Ritchey for another lightweight stem at 90mm, and tried to adjust to a more forward position when cornering. Immediately the washouts stopped and my confidence came back

Next I've been slowly chipping away, and replacing some heavier components with lighter ones. I was reluctant to take the XT brakes off, as they were so good (had some lighter elixers, but these just had no power despite new seals), so I saved up for some XTRs, which are nearly as good as the XTs.

I also went from 2.25 tires, to 2.1 tires (Schwalbe Rocket Ron on front and Thunder burt on rear. LB rims with 24mm internal) I expected this would make the handling worse and the climbing better, but I needed to get some extra climbing speed because this is where I was losing out in some races. I was wrong about the handling, it actually got much better. For some reason, the narrower tires are giving me much better grip in the corners, and have really improved the agility of the bike (I like agile / almost twitchy handling)

This bike is now a Singletrack weapon! With the upgrades I've made I've knocked about 2kg of the stock weight, and have it around 10.5kg, which is fairly similar to the weight of the XR929. I'm fairly happy with that, though would like to get it below 10Kg, but I know i'd have to lose the Chris king hubs to do that.
    Planet X Dirty Harry
    Chiner 29er SS

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Anyone know where to purchase a spare battery for 2015 ei? Preferably a vendor in US. Thx.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    So! Somewhere around 4300 km later, a few bottom brackets changes, altered as much as my wallet can stand...I must say...I love the bike!! Next year I will do my last change...the fork has to go...at last the bike will creep under 10 kg. Itīs worth it...since the first ride I lost 15 kg and we are now fitter then ever... both of us. Iīm glad I decided from a picture that this was the bike after trying ALL the famous brands and couldnīt "get that feeling"!! Is Lokisare still racing the XR??

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    What setup are you running to get it that light? (EI?)

I'm stuck at around 10.5kg. Most of my options to go lighter will cost lots $$$ and /or reliability.

My options are lighter wheels - could save 200 - 300g with less reliable hubs, XX Cassette (100g) Lefty fork (200g ish?), Lightweight thru axles, and Ti pedal axles (100g ish). Non Snakeskin tires would save 200g, but this isn't an option for me (tried it on front, tyre lasted 3 rides).

I tried fitting a Chris King BB when I fitted the new EI, but the BB sensor wouldn't fit it as the sensor fits on the sleeve, but the CK sleeve is much bigger, so I had to stick with Shimano. I think I can make it work, with some modifications. Need to adapt a Shimano BB sleeve to fit to the Chris King BB cups.
    Planet X Dirty Harry
    Chiner 29er SS

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    First out was the wheels=> Am. Classics Race29 + Thunder Burt TL
    Next=> XX1 shifter,XX1 derailleur,XX1 Cassette, kept my trusty XT-cranks but got a XTR bottom bracket, put a Raceface 36t narrow-wide on
    Next=>New Ultimate Flat bar and seat post
    Next=>New XTR XC-brake kit
    Next=>XTR pedals
    Next=>Chinese Carbon Saddle 140g?

Donīt think I forgot anything. Now 10,2kg
    Next up is a FOX RS1 or SID WC!....should weigh in at roughly 9,9:ish after that!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOger View Post
    First out was the wheels=> Am. Classics Race29 + Thunder Burt TL
    Next=> XX1 shifter,XX1 derailleur,XX1 Cassette, kept my trusty XT-cranks but got a XTR bottom bracket, put a Raceface 36t narrow-wide on
    Next=>New Ultimate Flat bar and seat post
    Next=>New XTR XC-brake kit
    Next=>XTR pedals
    Next=>Chinese Carbon Saddle 140g?

Donīt think I forgot anything. Now 10,2kg
    Next up is a FOX RS1 or SID WC!....should weigh in at roughly 9,9:ish after that!
    I take it you're running non Snakeskin Thunderburts? I wish I could get away with riding those.

If you switched to a Sram XX1 (or X01) or XTR crankset, you should lose around 100g. I don't think we can run Race Face cranks with 30 axles.

Are you sure you'd lose 300g by switching forks? I think my Reba is less than 1600g, so I'd only lose around 100g by going to a SID WC. Lefty might save 300g?
    Planet X Dirty Harry
    Chiner 29er SS

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'm riding an XR929 with a standard shock and working to get it dialed in. I like a pretty progressive ramp rate for my local trails which tend to be pretty twisty and relatively flat. So far, no matter what I do to the shock (high pressure, smaller canister for lower air volume, etc.) I have not approached what I'm looking for. My guess is that the linkage geometry is designed to provide a linear or decreasing rate, and that may be why so many people like the bike.

Just curious if anyone has some insight on this.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I find that at my desired shock pressure / sag, I don't achieve full travel.

This is set up for XC racing, I guess I could drop it a bit for trail riding, but I prefer how it handles at my current pressure.

This is with the monarch shock and EI, and would suggest a fairly progressive spring rate. Not sure if the Debonair can can be fitted to this shock / frame.

Funny that Rock Shox forks suffer from the opposite issue of being too linear, and going though all their travel on fairly small hits (I'm now using bottomless token which has fixed this.)
    Planet X Dirty Harry
    Chiner 29er SS

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    This is set up for XC racing, I guess I could drop it a bit for trail riding, but I prefer how it handles at my current pressure.
    Thanks - that's exactly how I want mine to work. Sounds like there's something out of whack on mine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    What shock do you have? I imagine the fox would ride differently to the monarch.
    Planet X Dirty Harry
    Chiner 29er SS

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'm running a standard Monarch, and at max pressure. I've been traveling too much for work to do any more work, but will likely check to see if I can make some tweaks to the shock to make it more progressive when I get some time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Sounds like you need the equivalent of the bottomless tokens in it, but I would have thought that's what the smaller canister would have done?

I recently fitted some tokens to a 2012 duel air SID and it has transformed them. They used to be way too harsh, yet shoot though all their travel on small drops.
    Now with 2 tokens in, I dropped the pressure by 20 PSI, which gave me much better small bump compliance, yet it takes a bigger drop to use all the travel, and i don't even feel it bottom out.

How much do you weigh? I was 74Kg +gear when I was racing this season, and had 155 PSI in the shock. I've now lost 4kg, so I expect I'll have to lower the pressure a bit, but I haven't been riding the Lapierre for a while.

As I said before, I wasn't getting full travel at that pressure, but I felt that the sag was giving me the angle I wanted for my desired bike handling. Funny that I'm having the opposite issue to you.
    Planet X Dirty Harry
    Chiner 29er SS

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Just found this, which may be of help to you and me:

5-minute tune up: RockShox Monarch shock - MBR
    Planet X Dirty Harry
    Chiner 29er SS

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    So it looks like I need to remove some reducer bands, and you need to add them.
    Planet X Dirty Harry
    Chiner 29er SS

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    This is all great information. I am looking at a Zesty TR 429 at The Racery and was a little hesitant about the Ei system. It's been hard to find any real info on the bike. I've read good and back feedback on the system, and honestly I like the "set it and forget it" idea of it. I was just starting to think about going with a Raleigh D880, which has a great price and build kit, but I think I'm going to stick with the Zesty.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016

Upset

Hi Guys, what do you think about this? is it broken?
    Lapierre an their 29er FS-img_6130.jpg

or just lac peeled?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    So it looks like I need to remove some reducer bands, and you need to add them.
    I've continued to work on this but am finally giving up. I went to a lower volume canister, max reducers, max pressure and still can't get comfortable. The rear end still blows through the top of its travel way too easily for me. I'm guessing it just must be my personal preference, even though this is the first of several FS bikes I've had that didn't work for me.

I'm 6'2" 190lbs, on a large.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345