Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    It's my only regret that I didn't choose the IE...but I'm hopefull that this error by me can be solved later on . We are all harbouring a geek inside us and SO...why not try IE...geeky?...yes..check! Got to have! ;-D

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Yes, openly admit.. I'm a gadget geek!

And I love it! 😃

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOger View Post
    The mud guard!! What happend...did it work or was it a debris collector?
    I bought one from Mucky Nutz as recommended by the UK riders on here. Hasn't really been muddy but I've raced over 200km with it on and the rear shock seems to stay a lot cleaner. Yet to test in really muddy conditions but I'm pretty sure it will work well, no signs of it being a debris collector.

By the way I got the older version of the mucky nutz one (2.0) for cheap as well as a new version but the older version actually fit the rear better.

As for the other posts about the XR, I chose the non-EI version mainly because I was a little reluctant to get a battery-dependent mechanism on my bike. I do a lot of 24 hour racing, 100km races etc and I was worried it was just one more thing to fail or to need to remember to charge. Having said that I now wonder what riding EI would be like - perhaps I'll venture into that territory in the next few years.

I have the CTD remote lever which is a whole step up on my old Anthem with the propedal down somewhere that I couldn't ever find without taking my eyes off the trails. the CTD seems to work great, I ride mainly in "trail" or the middle setting but open it right up for longer or rougher descents and lock it right out for firetrail flats or climbs. It does not give any where near the amount of adjustments the EI would do but it's cable operated on doesn't need charging ;-)

I also bought the bike when there was NOTHING anywhere to be found on the internet about it so perhaps now with these reviews I would be more tempted by EI. Although I do like the fact that I don't have to remember to charge anything before I ride.

In terms of the bike itself - it's awesome. Don't by the Anthem, this is so fast, nimble. I think it's summed up by another friend of mine who just got the 529 on my recommendation. She said "it doesn't feel like a 29er" so true, I feel as nimble as I did on my 26er. I haven't ridden the Anthem but with a longer rear stay and wheelbase I don't think it'll have the same feel.

To me the only other bike that came close was the Epic, I know some people on here didn't like the Epic but I found that was another bike that handled well straight off the demo rack.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    The other thought I had is that, the EI system seems to be quite sought after as a stand alone setup, which it won't be available as until next year at the earliest.
    If you bought it and its not for you, sell it... And buy whatever shock you like.
    Not an ideal situation to end up in but I'm certain you'll have no problem offloading it!
    I'm a cross country guy so the life of the battery wasn't really a concern. Though I've definitely had in excess of 26 hours riding without charging. I've never ran it flat and taking just 1 hour 10 minutes to charge..(it is that precise) its not alot considering the usage you get in return.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Definately buying one now. Im not even fussed to do a proper off-road demo.

Just hope it sizes right for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Hope

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen_d View Post
    Definately buying one now. Im not even fussed to do a proper off-road demo.

Just hope it sizes right for me.
    This one is for you Stephen!
    What a terrible and joyful decision you're making!
    I started OVER a year ago to scout the market...by august last year I had narrowed it down theese:
    -Specialized Epic Expert..yup..I know..cows follow the herd
    -Trek Superfly 100 Elite..safe card..BUT...they started changing components...
    -Ibis Ripley 29...looked SO FINE...but to much Enduro
    -Niner Jet RDO...awesome...but...but...nope
    Then I met the owner of the newly opened bike store who had been to Euro-bike and told me about Lapierre! Look them up on the almighty web...hmm...interesting..just how I would build a bike...AND they send it from factory with almost the stuff I want...have you noticed how the companies splash the stuff on the bikes...front derailliur SRAM X5,rear der. Shimano XT, crankset FSA SPXGTA XL???? and it goes on....I'm in my mid 40's (cranky) but I loved when you could choose a XT full-equiped bike and you knew THAT will work...and you could almost give a toss what the frame looked like. Told my dealer I REALLY want to try that one...waited...waited..october came...bike supposed to come...nope....waited...aaaaargh...what to do...well..I ordered the bike...without trying it out....never regretted that decision..I'm 176cm.. ordered a Medium....works like a charm cause its smaller (by a couple of centimeters) than my Specialized Stumpy M (17,5) hardtail.
    Hope that will help you!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks lokisare!
    Had my first day out with "almost-without-snow" conditions...well....the first couple of clicks...but realized quickly what a good idea tha mud guard was...ordered it as soon I arrived home.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    If the EI measures the hit on the front and uses it to damp the rear, then what is controlling the front damping? Does the EI also control that automatically? Based on what?

Hope i havent proved my terminal ignorange?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    There is an accelerometer on the fork leg, in the bottom bracket and one in the computer display. They simply measure the movement of the bike, not the front fork. The reason their attached ahead of the shock is simply to advance warn the system what to set the rear shocks setting to...
    The front fork has no attachment to the EI system itself.
    Hope that helps to with your question.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice2ie View Post
    The other thought I had is that, the EI system seems to be quite sought after as a stand alone setup, which it won't be available as until next year at the earliest.
    If you bought it and its not for you, sell it... And buy whatever shock you like.
    Not an ideal situation to end up in but I'm certain you'll have no problem offloading it!
    I'm a cross country guy so the life of the battery wasn't really a concern. Though I've definitely had in excess of 26 hours riding without charging. I've never ran it flat and taking just 1 hour 10 minutes to charge..(it is that precise) its not alot considering the usage you get in return.
    Like I said, I committed to buy in December before anyone on here was riding EI, decision may well be different if I was buying now! :-) Maybe I'll be due for an upgrade next year ;-)

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOger View Post
    Thanks lokisare!
    Had my first day out with "almost-without-snow" conditions...well....the first couple of clicks...but realized quickly what a good idea tha mud guard was...ordered it as soon I arrived home.
    I just had to trim mine a little to make sure it didn't impact the shock linkage when the rear suspension compresses... I'm sure you'll work it out. Seems like a great little product, I bought an extra for the front for muddy conditions but haven't used it yet - apparently keeps fork stanchions much cleaner too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    You would have had to wait like me if you'd wanted an EI model. I ordered mine end November/beginning December but the first batch of EI bikes didnt come into the country until February! So at least you didn't have a ridiculous wait!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Have booked a real off-road test this weekend. Will let you know what i think.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Had a great weekends riding on my XR529, Saturday was a 400 mile round trip to ride at a place called Afan in South Wales, we did 30 miles of great trails in the sun! While it doesn't mean a whole lot I was pleased to see on Strava afterwards that I got a bunch of top 10s (out of a few thousand people) on the long rocky downhill segments - not bad for my first time there and on an XC bike!

Got home Sat night, oiled the chain (didn't touch anything else at all) and then did a 4 hour enduro xc race on Sunday. The course was mega tough with almost zero flowing sections where you could get a rest or find a rhythm. Finished 9th in the top category which I was happy with for my first proper race and I was riding unsupported so had to fetch bottles and gels from the car a couple of times (not to mention a hard ride the day before!)

The bike seemed to handle it all fine!

For those of you using the rear guards, just check and trim the bit that sits against the linkage. I didn't at first and have a small amount of wear in the carbon from the grit that gets in there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Had a quick trip this weekend on a trail I usualy hated on my old HT 29er.
    Itīs infected with roots,stones with that perfect distance between to give you thoose lovely abrubt stops and no flow at all if your not on a 26''. BUT this time it wasn't that awful at all...I actually had to stop after a couple of clicks when I realized my freinds were behind me and not the other way around. I had my "shock pump" with me and tweeked front/rear and it got even faster. Couldn't be happier...what a ride...

By the way Phil! Have you done any trail riding in the Brecon Beacons?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Nope, never ridden in the Brecon area, would love to at some point when I get chance (was going to do the Rough Ride this year but can't make the date)

I've heard good things about it, I bet it is perfect for longer rides on a short travel 29er!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hey, does anyone know about the bb on these?? I was sure it was a bb30, but the carbon chainset has gxp printed on it!! So now I'm confused!!!

mtbr member
    gxp means 24mm axle. so either they run adapters for bb30 or more likely the frame is another pressfit standard.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    So you think the frame is indeed 24mm and not the bb30 standard as advertised?

mtbr member
    So you think the frame is indeed 24mm and not the bb30 standard as advertised?
    on the LaPierre website (link in the OP) the specs say just pressfit bb, the standard is not specified, no mention about bb30.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by syl3 View Post
    on the LaPierre website (link in the OP) the specs say just pressfit bb, the standard is not specified, no mention about bb30.
    Lapierre XR 729 | BikeRadar

States bb as do most others including an email from hotlines though they said specs vary!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Turns out its a bb92 press-fit bottom bracket, should anyone want to change it!! xx cassette, rear derailleur, shifters fitted.. Chainset on the way!! That really us the last upgrade I'm making!! lol..

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Ei with fork locked out...

There is an accelerometer on the fork leg, in the bottom bracket and one in the computer display. They simply measure the movement of the bike, not the front fork. The reason their attached ahead of the shock is simply to advance warn the system what to set the rear shocks setting to...
    The front fork has no attachment to the EI system itself.
    Hope that helps to with your question.
    Question...if the fork is locked out what does that do to the system? Will it still respond in auto mode?
    Seriously thinkin bout one of these...thanks mate

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ianthom View Post
    Question...if the fork is locked out what does that do to the system? Will it still respond in auto mode?
    Seriously thinkin bout one of these...thanks mate
    It doesn't effect the system as the system doesn't monitor the forks travel, just the lower legs movement along with movement/vibration on the handlebars and on the rear shock itself through accelerometers.

Heres a good, basic understanding of how accelerometers work.

A beginner's guide to accelerometers

Hope that helps!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Have been riding my XR 529 for a couple of months and WHAT a joy....bought the American Classics MTB race 29 wheelset....and what a difference it made...itīs not the fact that it shaved over 1 kg "off" the rotating weight...the "NO flex" feeling is actually more impressing. One thing I have to solve is how to "after fit" a manual remote for the rear suspension....itīs not something you want to fiddle with during a race...not so convinced anymore that the EI is for me...I like manual. At the last race I had the opportunity to try both Spec. Epic Expert and the Trek Superfly Elite and got that fuzzy fealing...I made the right descision choosing the XR. Thought of going 1x10 but I'm not shure...don't you "max out" to fast going downhill?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast