Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Photos as promised!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lapierre an their 29er FS-image.jpg  

Lapierre an their 29er FS-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Great to see more people enjoying their XR's, I am dropping mine back at the shop today as I have somehow broken the forks. They lock up once sagged (apparently called hydro locking following a burst seal), which is a shame as I was hoping to race it this weekend.

Lokisare - I run a very similar thing on the front and rear of mine, they sell them as a product over here (Mucky Nutz | Mountain Bikes | Road Bikes | XC | DH | UK Made Parts & Accessories) which should keep most of the mud off during the winter and help the shocks last a bit longer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Oh... Not good... Do u mean they sag before they lock in lockout mode or they simply won't compress past the sag percentage??

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Lockout is turned off, If they are fully extended and you compress them quickly they seem fine. If you lean on to sag them to 30% ish then try and compress them further they don't budge at all.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    What technology do you mean...

Shame about the front fork.. Hopefully it won't be with fisher too long!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I think they mean the EI stuff like on your model, which to be fair I think isn't too badly priced for such new technology. How do you find it rides? Or have you not had long to test yet?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I love it... It's a very simple system if you understand it. A servo adjusts the shock and accelerometers do the measuring in auto mode. Remote control toy helicopters use this technology. It's very effective indeed.

You can hear the servo adjusting as you ride.. Stiff shock climbing automatically becomes a soft tail without a single input.

I'm loving it and all for 350g.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil S View Post
    Great to see more people enjoying their XR's, I am dropping mine back at the shop today as I have somehow broken the forks. They lock up once sagged (apparently called hydro locking following a burst seal), which is a shame as I was hoping to race it this weekend.

Lokisare - I run a very similar thing on the front and rear of mine, they sell them as a product over here (Mucky Nutz | Mountain Bikes | Road Bikes | XC | DH | UK Made Parts & Accessories) which should keep most of the mud off during the winter and help the shocks last a bit longer.
    PhilS - sorry to hear you are having fork issues :-( that sucks that your bike will be out of service when you wanted to race. Hope it gets fixed super quickly.

Would love to know exactly which one of those Mucky Nutz you're using to protect your shock, looks a bit more pro than my home made jobby. Are you using a front one on the rear as well? I'm assuming the under saddle one does nothing for shock protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice2ie View Post
    Photos as promised!!
    Brice2ie that looks so sexy, I love the stealth black of the 729 - it was what I wanted in the first place and although I love my Team I still think stealth black is awesome!

In an update on mine, I've just gone to XTR. I tried the XX grip shift for two races but it wasn't for me and the formula brakes, although light, didn't suit my super small hands. So I went to XTR trail brakes, rear mech and ispec rapid shifter pods. I've also put on some comfy ergon grips after getting blisters in my 5 hour race on the twisties.

I'm stoked with the change, comfy and the ispec mounts make the front of the bike clean and uncluttered. I also am a big fan of shimano brakes having had XT on my old bike so I'm loving the lapierre even more.

It weighs in at the moment at about 10.5 - 10.6 complete with pedals (giving Time ATAX XC6s a try out), a 250g saddle, and an XT cassette on the Race Gold wheelset with Conti race sport RaceKings 2.2. Can probably loose another 100-150 grams with XTR cassette and lighter saddle but I'm pretty stoked considering I've gone for some slightly heavier options by swapping out the brakes and shifters.
    Last edited by lokisare; 02-21-2013 at 05:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    That sounds awesome.. I loved xtr... I fitted the whole groupset to my bike last year and loved the solid feel through shifting, the brakes also felt better on the hand.

I keep hitting the finger shifter on the x9s.. I think I tend to lean my finger on it as unlike shimano it shifts pushing forward rather than pulling it.. I'd like to think ill be able to keep them though rather than needing to buy more unnecessary parts, especially when it won't save weight!!! lol..

I actually prefer the Team colours myself.. lol.. Maybe we should swap frames... lol..

I'm not racing it until march so I've a while to used to the setup..

Like you though, I'm really loving it .

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lokisare View Post
    Would love to know exactly which one of those Mucky Nutz you're using to protect your shock, looks a bit more pro than my home made jobby. Are you using a front one on the rear as well? I'm assuming the under saddle one does nothing for shock protection.
    It is one of their original ones that I had on the front for a few years, but I think it is similar to what they sell now as the bender fender lite.

Good choice on XTR, I've always preferred Shimano!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil S View Post
    It is one of their original ones that I had on the front for a few years, but I think it is similar to what they sell now as the bender fender lite.

Good choice on XTR, I've always preferred Shimano!
    Cheers, after looking at their site today I've ordered a few! Might be able to avoid the old mud in the eye as well in wet races with on the front, but looks like the front bender fender thingy should work front and rear like you say! Thanks for the tip, might look a bit more professional than my pasta packet job!

Yeah happy with the Shimano makeover - I got the new XTR rear mech with the clutch mechanism which should eliminate chain slap too. The XTR brakes feels so smooth whereas the formulas felt a bit juddery. The ispec mounts make the front end look clean and tidy with the single mount, shifting is solid shimano style. Hopefully I can sell the other parts and almost cover the costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice2ie View Post
    I actually prefer the Team colours myself.. lol.. Maybe we should swap frames... lol..
    Haha the look of the Team has grown on me since getting it, it looks pretty good in the flesh.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I've used them for years on the front and they work really well (Pair it with a crud catcher on the downtube in winter and you stay almost completely mud free on the front) although it doesn't look half as muddy where you are!

What I like about them is they keep the mud off the fork stanchions so the seals and stanchions last a lot longer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Bump

Okay guys and gals, how are your Lapierre XR rockets going. You should have a few more miles under the belt now, can I tease a follow up assessment out of you. Did they meet your expectations? Are they as fast as they seem?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Well I'm loving it more and more... I've had many 3500+ bikes and this tops them all...
    I'm currently in the process of adding xx grip shifters and rear mech...

For me, the EI shock Is amazing. Once u get the pressure right it's simply unbeatable.. It's extremely adjustable and the auto mode is so quick to react to the terrain it's creepy.. Worth every penny..
    My regular lap times have dropped so much.. I was a hardcore hardtail rider that has finally been convinced a full sus can be a great xc racer!
    Ive changed alot of the components on my 729 but that was my intention which was the main reason I didn't get the Team model.
    Last edited by Brice2ie; 03-12-2013 at 05:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'm loving mine, it's been super wet here so I've been on the roadie instead but I'm racing again this weekend in a 100km race so I'll report back after that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'm still very happy with mine too! First ride last night after a couple of weeks off the MTB while fixing the forks. Even with my winter wheels on it still amazes me how fast it climbs, really feels like cheating to me. Downhill my speed is only limited by being stuck behind the rider in front :-)

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Raced 100km on the weekend, couldn't be happier with the bike (apart from a sidewall tear which is not the bike's fault!). Each fire road section I used the remote lock out and while it wasn't quite a hardtail it was easily firm enough to be fast, at the end of 100km I still got my (strava) 4th fastest time up a single track climb that I've raced on many occasions, 2 of the 3 other fastest times are the only other race on this new bike. In other words, with 100km in my legs I was still faster up a single track climb (20 mins worth) than I've previously been on a 26er Ht and dually.
    One of the other girls I know has just bought the 529 in a small, we're both racing a 24-hour in teams this weekend - so the bikes will be like little (non-identical) twins :-)

I would 100% recommend this bike, I'm not having any regrets and I can honestly say that I can't think of a dually 29er I would rather be on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Sound great Bricie, thanks for the feedback. And with Phil S, everyone's happy.

Congratulations Lokisare, sounds like you are really smashing it out now. Awesome to hear.

Cool bikes guys and gals.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Lapierre an their 29er FS-12-1-.jpg

Today's ride. Still no sign of summer here yet...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Got my XR 529 a couple of days ago...wow...out-of-the-box it's with NO competition.
    I was gonna order the 729... BUT hey....it wasnt worth the money...I'm gonna spend the difference on American Classics Race 29 wheels and carbon post/stem/bar....and still be cheaper than the 729 + getting nearer 10-10,5 kg. Still snowy conditions here but I really like this bike...No more Specialized for me!...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The mud guard!! What happend...did it work or was it a debris collector?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hi. Looking for a FS 29er and lusting a Lapierre XR. Came on this thread today. Its the only independent and sensible info I can find on the bike on the whole web. Thanks. All of you seem to be rocking out on your bikes.

Its helped me make up my mind that I definitely want an XR. I've looked at the specs and decided that I'd be better with the 529 and then spend a bit on a lighter wheel set (East on EA90 half price for 350) and maybe carbon bars.

But I really can't decide on whether to get the EI or not. Bikeradar has a full review of the non EI 729 taken from March's What Mountain Bike (Lapierre XR 729 Review - BikeRadar) and its big negative is that it suffers from pedal bob. That hasn't been mentioned anywhere in this thread. But those of you with the EI have really rated it.

So what do you notice is the difference vs the manual CTD lever. Is it just convenience of not having to think about settings. Would I miss anything if I didn't have it? Or should I just do the sensible thing and buy the Anthem X 29er 1 which is over 1000 cheaper and only about a pound heavier?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hey there..

Well I got the xr729 EI. And I'd def not go back.. I've had a s-works specialized with the brain, and 2 scalpels, and this is simply in a different league. Having met a guy in Exeter who also has. 529, he's loving it.. He's raced the wiggle series and hasn't had any need to use the ctd adjustment while riding.
    With the EI, I've often had to ask friends what the shock is doing as I've a fear with the technology letting me down but (touch wood) it's been flawless. Easy set up and great in auto! I guess ud have to have a play on both for a truly independent answer. And that article wasn't very honest in my opinion! I've had no fork flex from the SIDs as it suggested and as for bobbing.. All id say is ride the s-works or the cannondale.. Then ull know what bobbing is!!
    I think you'll be very happy with an xr. If u like gadgets like me then ull love the EI, but from everybody with the CTD, I think you'll be just as happy! And there's to a of weight saving to be had, I saved over a kilo so far with Mavic slr wheels, xx cassette and carbon bars, stem and post!
    Hope that helps!!
    Last edited by Brice2ie; 03-30-2013 at 03:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks Brice2ie.

I guess I'd be happy with either. Would be a massoive step up in bike from my current rig. But might go for the EI just so I've no regrets.

Have tried a Scalpel and Spark so far. Loved the Scalpel but it WAS the 1 model at 6000. Carbon wheels were really stiff but front was too high. Didn't like the CTD on the Spark (couldnt decide which setting to be in) but perhaps just didnt have enough time to get used to it - currently on a 26" HT.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Well i was an old school 26" ht nut!! And didnt think any bike would convince me otherwise! Then I rode an XR!!
    I'd be amazed if you had any negative feedback from buying one, other than your work or family life suffering as you just want to bike all the time... )
    And I do think that all models have a wide scope for upgrades do just drop in at the price that suits and go from there!
    Just a point.. Add 350/380g onto lapierre weights to allow for the EI shock.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast