Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Stokeless Asshat
    Stand over is over rated really. At least for me and most I know. For some it's quite important.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I actually thought the XR rides smaller than you'd expect. I'm only 5'11" and ride a large comfortably.

I upgraded the bars to Kinesis Strut carbons (750 wide and 160g) and a shorter turbine stem. I have ridden Llandegla and Cannock trail centres on it so far and it is absolutely perfect. I do think some rockier downhills will make the Rebas feel a little out of their depth though as the rest of the frame will descend so quickly.

On the bottle cage thing, on my large the bottle just scrapes the shock mount as you insert it (a little annoying but it's not going to wear through 20mm of solid carbon any time soon) so I guess the dimensions will be identical in that area across the size range, otherwise they wouldn't bother to fit the bosses!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil S View Post
    I actually thought the XR rides smaller than you'd expect. I'm only 5'11" and ride a large comfortably.

I upgraded the bars to Kinesis Strut carbons (750 wide and 160g) and a shorter turbine stem. I have ridden Llandegla and Cannock trail centres on it so far and it is absolutely perfect. I do think some rockier downhills will make the Rebas feel a little out of their depth though as the rest of the frame will descend so quickly.

On the bottle cage thing, on my large the bottle just scrapes the shock mount as you insert it (a little annoying but it's not going to wear through 20mm of solid carbon any time soon) so I guess the dimensions will be identical in that area across the size range, otherwise they wouldn't bother to fit the bosses!
    Still waiting to get mine! Impatiently waiting because of all the slow down over Christmas and New Year it's not in store yet.

Would a side entry bottle cage help with the bottle fitting in? Not exactly sure where you mean it's rubbing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hi Lokisare. I'm also from Australia, and I managed to get the bike shop to special order the team frame for me, so I can build it up how I want. I also wanted the 729, but like you said, they weren't bring it out here. No news as to when I'll be getting it, but originally they said mid January.

Keep us informed as to when you get news about yours! I'm guessing it will be in the same shipment.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Spoke to my shop today, they spoke to the distributor and the shipment is expected on the 12th with the distributor, so the shops are expecting them late next week... Although it depends on processing times with the distributor.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    never heard of this brand but it looks nice

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for the info lokisare!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    A ride onboard my XR529 yesterday (don't expect anything amazing!) I'm still absolutely loving it but still deciding on what summer wheels to get (no rush for that around here though!).

Edit: I can't post links yet (<10 posts) but if you search on YouTube for vhnwEhFfHIw you should get it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Sweet video made me jealous and looks like your bikes handles the big rocks pretty well. The trails looks pretty nice too! Looks a bit cold tho, maybe that's not such a bad thing seeing as my local trails were shut on the weekend due to 40 degree heat (that's 104 F for the yanks) and extreme fire danger

The vid is here for those too lazy to google it ;-) Cannock Chase Monkey Trail - Lapierre XR529 - Jan 2013 - YouTube

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    There's no chance of trails being shut for fire danger here, it was even snowing a bit on that ride. It's the first time I've tried the big rocks on this bike, I lost my line a couple of times which I didn't do on the Cotic BFe (last time I did that section was a couple of years ago though). The Lapierre does have less front travel, steeper angles and less grippy tyres (I probably had supertacky minions and the Pikes wound out to 140mm travel last time) but I think it was more to do with it being slippery, leaving the seat right up and not being 100% confident as I've only done a couple of clipped in rides on the MTB so far.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I just spoke to the bike shop, and apparently they are expecting my frame to be delivered to QLD on the 23rd of this month. So I should have it after the Australia day long weekend.

Do you have your bike yet lokisare?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by relaxx View Post
    I just spoke to the bike shop, and apparently they are expecting my frame to be delivered to QLD on the 23rd of this month. So I should have it after the Australia day long weekend.

Do you have your bike yet lokisare?
    Nope, but the end of this week would be the earliest I think, really hoping its this week not next week. Haven't spoken to the shop this week yet tho.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    A camera phone snap of mine from out on a night ride tonight, it was crazy icy! You can just about see what I mean regarding the bottle being a tight fit with the suspension mounting. As you pull it out on an angle it scrapes the mounting however it is solid carbon there and will never wear through, but it will scratch the paint I guess...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lapierre an their 29er FS-2013-01-15-19.30.06-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    WOOOOOHOOOO I finally picked my bike up last night need to spend some time working out my set up but it looks so nice.

Unfortunately it's absolutely flogging down with rain here at the moment so the trails are going to be wet all weekend

Hopefully I can get some time on it before maybe racing it next weekend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Great news Lokisare, and I think you are pretty lucky too as I hear that the Aus importer has already sold out of stock - underestimated the demand.

Send us a picture and a report when you can mate - enjoy!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I picked up a WTB Stryker XC 29 wheelset for my XR 529 last week - it was reduced to 240 ($380) and already came with 15mm front and 142x12 rear so no need to buy extra axles! They weren't quite as wide (at 19mm internal) or quite as light (1600g) as I wanted, but at less than half the price of the AM Classic Race 29s I thought it was worth a shot.

I fitted up some tubeless Racing Ralphs and weighing the original wheels vs the new ones it lost exactly 1kg off the bike weight. Not bad for a cheap upgrade! I tested them out round The Beast at Coed-y-Brenin (which is a very rocky and fast trail) and they worked a treat. The bike overall felt amazing round there.

The bike is now at 10.6kg and owes me $4000 - buying everything brand new

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hi guys,
    Just joined this forum.. I ordered an XR 729 EI in December.. STILL waiting on it though.. I've been told its down to a dispatch delay. I've bought Mavic Crossmax SLRs to put on it. Along with an XX cassette, lightweight carbon bars, stem and seatpost. So hoping the weight shud drop considerably without the standard finishing kit and 1800g wheelset! .

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Well I finally rode my bike - albeit only for about half an hour last night. At the moment it feels a bit strange but that's to be expected it's my first 29er and it's going to take some getting used to.

Like I said in earlier posts I actually wanted the 729 (not available in Australia) and ended up getting local shop support and team version. I'm not too sure I like the XX grip shift and the formula brakes and will consider swapping out those parts for shimano XTR, however I think a remote rear suspension lockout is going to be the shizzle!

The bike comes in around advertised weight, I have a heavier saddle and some XT pedals on and she's just over 11kg with stock wheelset. Advertised 10.4 without pedals so that's about right. I'll loose about 300g with the Stans Race Golds...

I've cut down the bars to about 645mm, the seat post has been cut down to size as it was too long (better than too short!). The cables needed trimming and the brake cables still need shortening however the bike was shipped with long cables and no spare olives which is a little slack on Lapierre's side I think. All the cables were SUPER long on a small frame bike!

Stuff still to do: I have a black saddle coming, convert the rear race gold wheel to the 12x142 for a race set. Like I said potentially change to shimano brakes and trigger shifters (I find the reach on Formulas a stretch with my small hands).

Here's some photos, more ride reports to follow.

Lapierre an their 29er FS-img_0204.jpgLapierre an their 29er FS-img_0202.jpgLapierre an their 29er FS-img_0205.jpgLapierre an their 29er FS-img_0203.jpgLapierre an their 29er FS-img_0201.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Very nice indeed..

Can't wait to get hold of mine... I reckon with my upgraded wheels saving 180g, xx cassette shaving a massive 185g, and bars, stem and seatpost saving 310g it shud be under 10kg.. Also got schwalbe EVO tyres ordered today saving another 365g off the stock tyres so that'll compensate the extra 350g the EI SHOCK adds!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Looks nice in the small size, definitely a bit faster looking than my large! My front brake cable is mega long but I haven't got round to shortening it yet.. If it aint broke don't fix it!

Here's a bit more onboard footage from last weekend, giving the new wheelset and tubless Ralphs a good test. The camera angle is all wrong but I thought I'd upload it anyway.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I love my bike! I race it last weekend and OMG I loved it. For a full report have a look at my blog in the signature. But basically for 82km of rocky single track at Mt Stromlo this bike was amazing!!!

One other thing is that I feel the rear shock might be prone to get some mud/dirt off the rear tyre. So I fashioned a little mudguard, I'll let you know if it makes much difference. Lapierre an their 29er FS-img_0218.jpgLapierre an their 29er FS-img_0220.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I picked up my xr729 EI yesterday evening.. Complete with carbon bars, stem, seatpost and pedals.. Got Mavic SLR wheels with a sram xx cassette.. Just back from my first ride and WOW!!!!! What a bike.. And the electronic shock is just awesome.. Worth every penny.. No need to adjust on different terrain, just let the servo do its thing in auto mode...
    ))))

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice2ie View Post
    I picked up my xr729 EI yesterday evening.. Complete with carbon bars, stem, seatpost and pedals.. Got Mavic SLR wheels with a sram xx cassette.. Just back from my first ride and WOW!!!!! What a bike.. And the electronic shock is just awesome.. Worth every penny.. No need to adjust on different terrain, just let the servo do its thing in auto mode...
    ))))
    Awesome, sounds great. Show us some photos when you get some!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Cheers... I did try to load photos from my iPhone but the forum didnt seem to like the file format...

Ill def sort it out tomorrow though...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice2ie View Post
    Cheers... I did try to load photos from my iPhone but the forum didnt seem to like the file format...

Ill def sort it out tomorrow though...
    might be the file size, I don't think it likes anything over 2meg

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast