Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Such a tough decision, I test rode the Specialized Epic and Fate on the weekend and I enjoyed the Epic a lot more than I did the Scott Spark which I test rode a while ago. Make me realise how much difference there is between 29ers! Buying without a test ride is scary.

I liked the Epic but it's just sooo expensive... the Lapierre is a little different too which I like, if it handles as well then it'll be great.

I wonder if I will be able to fit a drink bottle in the small frame?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Sure, best thing is to test before...I had the same problem, make the right choice! Like for love, listen to your heart :-) I did it and I choose the Scalpel :-)
    They are both fast and confortable bikes..For the bottle I didn't test it

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    So decision is made! My local dealer is offering me some support which means the team model is within my reach. So I've taken the plunge and I'll let you know how the XR Team rides early in the new year :-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Great ! Believe me, this bike is rocket and he is riding like a race bike. I like the team too but not in my budget, and the XR729 is a little bit too dark. What is the cost price for LP in your side?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'm new here And I just tested the LP, so I only give my personal feeling. Lapierre is popular bikes in our country and their reputation is growing too.
    So, what you did finally ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Largoraf View Post
    Great ! Believe me, this bike is rocket and he is riding like a race bike. I like the team too but not in my budget, and the XR729 is a little bit too dark. What is the cost price for LP in your side?
    The Lapierre bikes are pretty reasonable prices here, I think the Team retails of around $8500 normally and the 529 is about $4300 (Australian dollars that is). For the weight and spec of the bike it's pretty good, especially as the 529 would be well under 11kg with light wheels on.

Quote Originally Posted by waitejasoe View Post
    I started a thread about this a while ago. The responces were lukewarm to say the least.
    14 posts in half an hour and none prior to that... either add some substance to your post or it looks like you're spamming...

I'm new here And I just tested the LP, so I only give my personal feeling. Lapierre is popular bikes in our country and their reputation is growing too.
    So, what you did finally ?
    I think waitejasoe is a spammer...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Well, when I tested the 529, originaly weight was11.5 kg (without pedals), but I tested it with American Classic RACE wheels, and it was pretty funny ! This is exactly what the bike needs, light and reactive wheels. American classic race weight was 1.380 Kg, perfect weapon !!
    The only negative point for me on the 529 is the Reba, that's it...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Well, when I tested the 529, originaly weight was11.5 kg (without pedals), but I tested it with American Classic RACE wheels, and it was pretty funny ! This is exactly what the bike needs, light and reactive wheels. American classic race weight was 1.380 Kg, perfect weapon !!
    The only negative point for me on the 529 is the Reba, that's it...
    Yeah I agree, the stock wheelset on the 529 is around 2.3 - 2.4kg so with the race classics it would be around 10.5kg without pedals. That's awesome for the lowest spec in the range of XR bikes.

I also prefer the SID over the Reba fork, but at the price the 529 retails at it's still a very nice looking bike.

I really like the colour combination of the 729, stealth black. But it's not being imported into Australia, however I'm super happy I'm going to get the team.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    With the Ei Shock?
    OMG 10.4 kg the team...tssttt you will fly with this bike!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    With the Ei Shock?
    OMG 10.4 kg the team...tssttt you will fly with this bike!
    I don't think I am getting the EI shock, but yes 10.4 with a 1700g wheel set, so when I put on some Stans Race Golds for race days and some lighter tyres....

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Keep me informed ! :-)

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I will, I won't be getting the bike until early January though. Can't wait.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Same for me. I will have my Scalpel around the 10 Januaray, too long !!! Even if winter is really here, I want to ride with this new spad! In your side, it's summer time, mhhmmm...I saw your blog, nice ti ride there...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Great choice Lokisare. You have got your self onto a rocket there and it will do more than just XC as well. A super capable bike, I think you will be very happy.

Most of the LP range rides really well and are very balanced - a pleasure to ride. They are very underrated and more capable than some of the bigger brands. I think these XRs will be special. Congratulations!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hi guys - I too have ordered the 529 without a test ride - I'm in the UK and it proved impossible to find one in stock, let alone get hold of one to demo!

My only concern was that it's 'too XC' to cope with some of the trails I'd want to use it just seems like such a good bike for the money relative to anything else I can find that I've gone for it anyway.

In terms of upgrades - interesting point about the wheels, I didn't realise they were so heavy. Can anyone recommend a good (and very light) complete tubeless set up to upgrade to?

I'd also upgrade to wider, carbon bars I think.

One further question - would it be possible to add a dropper post and route it through the internal routing system or would the cabling have to stay external?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Try American Classic Race or ZTR Crest :-)

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hope make light and affordable wheels using stans rims, I think wiggle stock them (i know they do in 26"). Called the hope hoops.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    thanks - they have them in 29er version too... looks good.

Any advice on which bars to upgrade to? I'd like to get some wider, carbon ones but don't want to mess up the handling - not really sure how wide is sensible on a 'XC' bike..?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    For 29, 650 mm minimum, maybe better to start with 680 as test! This is what I will do, make it shorter to 680 first

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo124 View Post
    thanks - they have them in 29er version too... looks good.

Any advice on which bars to upgrade to? I'd like to get some wider, carbon ones but don't want to mess up the handling - not really sure how wide is sensible on a 'XC' bike..?
    Can't help with bars as I currently run 600mm so even 660 is wide to me. But my advice would be to test out the stock ones first as they might help you decide on width. Especially if it's your first 29er like me. Too wide is where you can't get between trees.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    @Lokisare, you actually run with 600 on 29er? Really?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    No sorry on my 26", I will not have a 29 er until January 7th. Then I will have to work out optimal bar width for 29 for myself.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Gutted... just been to pick up the bike I ordered and it doesn't fit! I ordered a small but there's no clearance above the top tube when I stand over it. Anyone else have this issue? Does it even matter? I sat on an Epic and Camber at the weekend and clearance was much better... so annoying as I had my heart set on the XR 529

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    How tall are you? What's your inseam? Can you straddle the bike at all? Does it matter, well I think it's a personal thing it's not something I would probably even think to check. How often do you find yourself in that position on the trails?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    5'6 and 29", I can stand over it ok but it's a little bit too close for comfort to be honest... And yeah I guess it wont matter that often but it's more just knowing it's not perfect really.

Think I might have to stick to a Specialized as they seem to have more standover height, or perhaps a Scott Spark but haven't managed to try one of those yet

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast