Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Krampus with Front Suspension!

The Surly Blog clearly shows pictures of the Krampus with a Fox fork. I'd really like to see pictures of how much clearance there is. The blog indicates that they were on the way to Interbike, so somebody must have seen something. Anyone out there know anything about this? If you can run a Fox fork with the Knard tire and Rabbit Hole rim, that changes everything.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Well it looks from that blog like they just baaaaaarely fit. You can always run a Lefty fork, that would work fo sho'
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    Well it looks from that blog like they just baaaaaarely fit. You can always run a Lefty fork, that would work fo sho'
    If the Lefty has enough lateral clearance. The fat bike guys are using Leftys with custom clamps for more offset
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    If the Lefty has enough lateral clearance. The fat bike guys are using Leftys with custom clamps for more offset
    Oops yeah I forgot that they were using those Mendon clamps, that's what I meant.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    May 2005
    A Lefty with custom clamps would be too danged expensive for me. I sent an e-mail to Surly to ask them to do a follow-up blog post about the fork situation. A close up shot of the clearance would be really informative.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    The Surly Blog clearly shows pictures of the Krampus with a Fox fork. I'd really like to see pictures of how much clearance there is. The blog indicates that they were on the way to Interbike, so somebody must have seen something. Anyone out there know anything about this? If you can run a Fox fork with the Knard tire and Rabbit Hole rim, that changes everything.
    I saw a Krampus with a fox fork at Copper Harbor. I couldn't believe my eyes, but there it was. I got talking to the guy. The tire fits just barely, but it fits!

This place needs an enema
    The RH/K combo will fit in either of the Fox forks, barely, with zero clearance for mud or even much tire runout. If I really wanted this to work I'd do a teeny bit of dremeling of the arch and call it good.

Only pic I took of the RH/K in a Fox 32:

Didn't fit in a Revelation.

Fit with some room to spare in both the WB Loop and the Manitou Tower. Both could also use some dremeling to gain precious mud clearance.

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    Subscribed. Waiting for my frame and rims/tires. Looks like I may need to source a fork now also...

mtbr member
    A Maverick fork should work without mods and plenty of clearance...just have to come up with one.

Or if you can wait...this X-Fusion?
    2015 X-Fusion Inverted All Mountain Suspension Fork - Bike Rumor
    Last edited by Bike Whisperer; 12-26-2012 at 04:05 PM.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Does anyone know what the revised arch on the new Fox forks does to the clearance?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Them boys at Surly go to all that effort to offer you 3 inches of cush in 29er goodness and you want a suspension fork? They be rollin' an you be hating.......

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    Them boys at Surly go to all that effort to offer you 3 inches of cush in 29er goodness and you want a suspension fork? They be rollin' an you be hating.......
    We'll wait for you at the bottom :-P

mtbr member
    I would like to see if it fits a Niner Carbon fork

MTB B'dos
    I'd have to concur with RifRaf on this one, most definitely belongs on a rigid As for waiting at the bottom, I'd love to see you riding with someone who only rides rigid on a pair of these tyres, fairly sure they'd prob be waiting on you

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiecycle View Post
    We'll wait for you at the bottom :-P
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I dunno, I've been running my gazzaloddis in my 36 for a good bit.
    I was all worried about the clearance for awhile and it's never been a problem.
    If anything's gotten stuck in there I guess it didn't stay stuck for long.

Also: I'd hazard a guess that the gazzi's tread would "bring" a lot more trail detritus up to the arch that those short profile knobs on the knards.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    I'd have to concur with RifRaf on this one, most definitely belongs on a rigid As for waiting at the bottom, I'd love to see you riding with someone who only rides rigid on a pair of these tyres, fairly sure they'd prob be waiting on you
    I paid my dues on fully-rigid bikes for 10 years. There's no comparing the downhill speeds between rigid and suspended, at least on the terrain around here.

MTB B'dos
    I would give you suspended being faster on fast, rough DHs, but on slow, rough/techy DHs I wouldn't wager either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddiecycle View Post
    I paid my dues on fully-rigid bikes for 10 years. There's no comparing the downhill speeds between rigid and suspended, at least on the terrain around here.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Really? Can you confirm it would fit in the manitou tower 29 expert?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Them boys at Surly go to all that effort to offer you 3 inches of cush in 29er goodness and you want a suspension fork? They be rollin' an you be hating...
    ummmm...the pics of the bikes with sussy forks are on the Surly site being ridden by the Surly boys. I think they approve.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    A Maverick fork should work without mods and plenty of clearance...just have to come up with one.
    Yea I bet they will work great.

DUC32 about 90mm of lateral clearance do to the taper legs, will tons of vertical clearance

CS32 about 98mm of lateral clearance, but not much more vertical clearance than a 26" fat tire..

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Got a f29 fox 100 qr fork running on my krampus. Just put it on yesterday at the shop and got a aftetnoon ride on it. No rubbing yet did get some rocks that get stuck for a sec but they came out fast. It did put the bike over 30lb. But dang was it worth it this thing rips now and is so much better on the wrist. I will post a pic from the ride I do today. Cheers

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    Just beware...

Take all the air out of the fork and watch the crown hit the tire.

Just my attempt at a PSA, be mindful of the catastrophic possibilities.

That being said, I'll still ride it. Just with a touch more air pressure than normal. At least until I feel confident enough that I won't lose my teeth. Another guy around here actually bottomed the crown out on the tire while riding; lots of noise but no immediate stop or damage.

My $0.02.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have never really bottomed a fork out that far. heres a few pics. with blunt 35s not rabbit hole tires.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Krampus with Front Suspension!-p1060723.jpg  

Krampus with Front Suspension!-p1060722.jpg  

mtbr member
    Anyone have a pic of a Loop mounted?
    The LPG

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Ive got The Fox Float 32 and theres a heap of clearance of that

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast