Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by craigcraigcraig View Post
    Well this may be useless for you fancy pants riders but I have a karate monkey that I put a knard/RH front on and eventually found a very cheap suntour XCM 100mm fork at an REI garage sale and the knard fits fine, I have ridden it a lot. The fork almost completely sucks on it's own but barreling down things I used to have to pick my way around makes up for the weight and sub par performance. Huge grins always while getting knardy.
    Seriously? I have one of those in my basement. May have to try this.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    give it a whirl!

mtbr member
    I'm curious if the new RS-1 will fit. I was riding with a guy last fall that was testing one. He was pretty hush hush about the fork at the time since it was early. He was pretty sure a 29+ tire wouldn't fit but it looked like it would be close. That is the next one someone needs to try.
    The LPG

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I've noticed a number of the successfully fitted forks seem to be using 15mm or 20mm axles rather than the stock QR axle.

Do you get a little more clearance with the geometry with how those forks are designed, or have people just used them as they are more common nowadays?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    With big tires like that you'll want the extra rigidity that the thru axle gives you. Occasionally I'll hear the hair on my Knards rub the side of my Fox 32, and that's a 15mm front hub. I wouldn't recommend a 9mm QR.

mtbr member

I've been meaning to modify my RS REBA RLT for a while now, but kept getting side tracked.

We've been riding a ton. Then we built the rack above.

Then a new frame came along that required building and tweaking.

Finally today after a solid morning ride and a nap I had the late afternoon free to tackle the project...

The Knard on RH jams up nicely in the stock fork. Won't turn.

So I hit it with the dremel and sipped some beer while creating the clearance I need.

Took about 1 beer's worth of gentle grinding to get the clearance I was after and the tire turning freely.

Looks gnarly, but there is lots of material left and this mod has been done many times with zero reported failures so I think it's pretty safe.

There is clearance now for all the conditions I ride it. We don't get really sticky clay type mud in my part of BC and that's the only situation I think this fork would be a problem with.

Lots of side wall clearance. Before mod sidewall would rub fork.

All in all a pretty minor quick mod that lets me use a "normal" 29er fork with my Krampus and not have to go Lefty and/or run some weird front hub.

I'm going to setup my Knard/RH wheels split tube tubeless next and see how the wheel fits before I mask off the Reba and paint it. The tubeless tire might change size and need a slight tweak to fit well.

BTW - the fork will go on my Krampus. I just left it on that 29er to make it easier to work on until I was ready for an install on the Big K. The puny rear tire is a Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4" on a Stan's Flow rim.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Just wanted to share my experience of mounting a Fox 34 with the Krampus. I went with the Fox 34 because it seems most say this forks gives the most clearance with the Knard tire on the rabbit hole rims. All the parts came in yesterday to make the switch so around 8:30 last night I started unlacing the front wheel and laced it back up with a Hope Pro 2 hub. Installed the 44mm to 1.5 headset bottom cup and bearings to fit with the Fox 34 tapered tube. Got the fox fork on and was so excited to mount the wheel and test it out. Big problem though...there was not enough clearance and the tire was hitting the bridge pretty hard. Thought crap...now I'm going to have to buy a dremel and remove some material. Then got to thinking why don't I have clearance when I see pics of other setups like mine with plenty of clearance??? Then remembered through all the years of my son's BMX racing how I found many times bike tires varied in size...even with the same tire & manufacturer. Well, I just bought some barely used Knards off Ebay in the 120 TPI and thought perhaps I should take off the 27 TPI and try the 120 TPI that just arrived that day (was going to save them for when the 27 TPIs wore out). Well in amazement, the 120 TPI had plenty of clearance over that 27 TPI!!! Couldn't believe the difference. No need to dremel the fork now! Quick ride in the yard and on the road felt great (got a feeling I might prefer this over my Honzo now for fast downhill descents). Can't wait to try it out on some trails & downhills ...it was about 1:30 in the morning when I got it finished and my wife came out trying to find me when I was test riding it...she couldn't believe I was up that late trying to get this setup to work. Anyhow, thought I would share the difference in tire sizes in case someone else runs into the same problem.

mtbr member
    I can't be sure about this, but I think older tires get bigger at the same pressure. Seems like that is happening to mine, but I don't have enough samples to say anything more conclusive.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Anyone here tried the Bluto as yet ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    2013 Fox float 29 (stock on trance x0) fits with lots of room to spare.
    Just need to figure out the headset chaos to get the overdrive into the krampus and a non overdrive headset into the trance.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

2013 float 29 ctd pic.

Pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Krampus with Front Suspension!-20140609_210117.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    Anyone here tried the Bluto as yet ?
    Saw this on the facebooks this morning, not a krampus, but you get the idea.

Krampus with Front Suspension!-10434319_909551652404484_493015314689062321_n.jpg
    Krampus with Front Suspension!-10414912_909545035738479_3358604626826331081_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Seeing this makes me really think that a Bluto might be in my future to turn my Quiring into a 29-1/2. Now to see if Scott thinks there might be any downtube clearance issues. The nice thing is that the 100mm Bluto has the same A-C as the eba I currently have on the Q.
    2011 Quiring 29er Steel Hardtail
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    This afternoon I took it upon myself to see if I could get the Knard/Dually combo to fit into my X-Fusion Slide 29er fork.

Here's what it looked like before:
    Krampus with Front Suspension!-20140615_122023.jpg
    After some time with a hand file (couldn't find the bits to my dremel)
    Krampus with Front Suspension!-20140615_130053.jpg
    Can't see it perfectly, but there's plenty of room after taking 3-4mm off each side. Luckily there was enough room on the top arch, so that was left untouched.
    Krampus with Front Suspension!-20140615_131803.jpg
    I didn't have the correct crown race for the inset7 headset on this fork, so I put it back on the Seven instead of the Krampus.
    Krampus with Front Suspension!-img_20140615_142247.jpg

We had quite a bit of rain here yesterday and today, so all the trails are closed, but I took it for a 6 mile ride throughout the city and hit every curb/log/pothole I could and it performed perfectly. I'm a bit worried about the fork bottoming out on some big hits, I haven't taken the air out yet to see if it bottoms out and the tire rubs or not.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Well I stumbled across a Fox Float 29 that happened to fit perfectly with no trimming.

Might be a little too close though if my knards weren't a little worn...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Lefty 29+ (Krampus inspired)

Here is my Ti 29+ with 90mm Carbon Lefty. This requires a 3mm offset on the wheel build.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Krampus with Front Suspension!-tikrampus6.jpg  

Krampus with Front Suspension!-tikrampus4.jpg  

squish, squish in da fish
    awesome build! even if it does have half a fork...

what's the HA?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    awesome build! even if it does have half a fork...

what's the HA?
    Thanks! (It's my first Lefty & I'm impressed with it.)

70.5 degrees head angle.

WNC Native
    Has anyone tried a Marz Micro TI?

EDIT- It can be ran as 29+ with minor trimming. I have pics of a used Knard on a Flow that clears well, with a 45-50mm rim it will probably take just a little trimming.
    Last edited by nitrousjunky; 07-21-2014 at 04:48 AM.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    Resubscribed. Back on a Krampus and lookin for a fork. Lots of good info here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lancelot View Post
    I'm curious if the new RS-1 will fit. I was riding with a guy last fall that was testing one. He was pretty hush hush about the fork at the time since it was early. He was pretty sure a 29+ tire wouldn't fit but it looked like it would be close. That is the next one someone needs to try.
    It certainly fits

Just put a Bluto on my Yampa, running 29+, it's dam fun

Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    how about a marzocchi 320? any luck? super cheap right now, looks like a big fat arch.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
    how about a marzocchi 320? any luck? super cheap right now, looks like a big fat arch.
    I have a 320 Corsa SL... it's tight with a 2.35 Nobby Nic...would doubt it would work...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    thank you! There's one photo floating around of a 320 with a 2.4 ardent and he says it's tight, but it's hard to visualize via the intertubes.

mtbr member

Krampus with Front Suspension!

I'm running a Lefty with Rabbit Holes & knards, and it just fits. What do you think about Stan's new Hugo 52. Will it fit on the Lefty without rubbing?

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast