Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 255
  1. #101
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post


    Fit with some room to spare in both the WB Loop and the Manitou Tower.
    To follow up with Mike's post, I broke down and ordered a Tower Pro since Pricepoint has been practically giving the things away for the last few weeks. I installed it Tuesday night and finally got it out on the trail today. I'm running a 120tpi Knard on a P35 rim at about 12 psi, the fork is the 120mm model with the 9mm QR.

    You have to squeeze the tire through the pinch-point on the stanchions/arch but once you get it through I am very pleased to report that the tire clears the arch/stanchions easily. I was a little nervous about ordering the 9mm QR instead of a thru-axle, thinking I'd get a lot of tire rub on the stanbchions in hard cornering but if there was any rubbing on today's ride I certainly didn't hear or notice it it.

    The bike doesn't look as good with the squishy fork and I found it noticeably harder to manual/wheelie over obstacles. On the other hand, now that I've got the squishy fork on there I can just bowl right over most obstacles.

    I was surprised at how much faster the bike was with the squishy fork, I was easily 1/2 - 1 mph faster, even in a light drizzle that made riding over off-camber roots sketchy. And the bike is now much, much easier on the hands, wrist, elbows, and shoulders.

    I liked my Krampus before, now I love it.

  2. #102
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,056
    Quote Originally Posted by jnroyal View Post
    with the squishy fork I found it noticeably harder to manual/wheelie over obstacles.
    Odd. Should be easier if anything.

    Check your rebound damping, and maybe speed it up a few clicks. Just until you can hear a very faint "braaaaaaaaaaaaaaap!" in the distance.

    That should do it.

  3. #103
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    333
    Thanks for the tip, Mike, I'll give it a try. I'm fairly new to this whole suspension thing.

  4. #104
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gouda Cheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    704
    Can't wait for a legit fork to be released. I am trying to be patient but it's not working well...

  5. #105
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gouda Cheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    704
    Quote Originally Posted by jnroyal View Post
    To follow up with Mike's post, I broke down and ordered a Tower Pro since Pricepoint has been practically giving the things away for the last few weeks. I installed it Tuesday night and finally got it out on the trail today. I'm running a 120tpi Knard on a P35 rim at about 12 psi, the fork is the 120mm model with the 9mm QR.

    You have to squeeze the tire through the pinch-point on the stanchions/arch but once you get it through I am very pleased to report that the tire clears the arch/stanchions easily. I was a little nervous about ordering the 9mm QR instead of a thru-axle, thinking I'd get a lot of tire rub on the stanbchions in hard cornering but if there was any rubbing on today's ride I certainly didn't hear or notice it it.

    The bike doesn't look as good with the squishy fork and I found it noticeably harder to manual/wheelie over obstacles. On the other hand, now that I've got the squishy fork on there I can just bowl right over most obstacles.

    I was surprised at how much faster the bike was with the squishy fork, I was easily 1/2 - 1 mph faster, even in a light drizzle that made riding over off-camber roots sketchy. And the bike is now much, much easier on the hands, wrist, elbows, and shoulders.

    I liked my Krampus before, now I love it.
    Which one did you purchase? Saw there were several different options...

  6. #106
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,056
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouda Cheez View Post
    Can't wait for a legit fork to be released. I am trying to be patient but it's not working well...
    Life's pretty rough, eh?

  7. #107
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gouda Cheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    704

    Krampus with Front Suspension!

    You know it. Man it sucks riding this bike as is.

  8. #108
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nvphatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,361
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouda Cheez View Post
    Can't wait for a legit fork to be released. I am trying to be patient but it's not working well...
    keep with the patience as they will come. Sandman is testing their new fork so hang on.

  9. #109
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    103

    Krampus with Front Suspension!

    I suppose if one were brave enough, one could commission their own rigid fork and have the fabricator incorporate a proshock. Apparently they've been around ya http://www.actiontec.us/proshock.htm


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #110
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    126
    Krampus with Front Suspension!-surly-krampus.jpg

    I'll start by saying I didn't personally take the Dremel out, the shop I bought the bike from did that. But it doesn't look like they took a lot off the brace, and I've never had a rubbing issue.

    With that said, running the 2014 Fox 32 Float 120mm makes this bike an all-mountain machine. It feels like the same amount of travel as my old 26" FS with a 150 Revelation, except the angle of attack with the 29+ wheel makes getting up and over objects WAY easier. I'm much more confident on this bike than I was on the 26" FS, and I just sold a Scott Spark 29er (100mm front and rear) with no intentions of replacing it. The Krampus just destroys the Spark in all categories, except for weight.

    I'm not racing, so I don't care, I measure my rides with SPH (smiles per hour) instead of MPH.

  11. #111
    mtbr member
    Reputation: x3speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    137
    I am surprised they dremeled it for you. We live in a very litigious society. But, i have to say. I love the green gold combination

  12. #112
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lancelot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    933
    Nice bike RickyB! Looks Siccccckkkkk.
    The LPG

  13. #113
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    12
    Any updates on a design specific shock from RS or Fox?

  14. #114
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gouda Cheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    704

    Krampus with Front Suspension!

    None that I know of.

  15. #115
    The White Jeff W
    Reputation: jeffw-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,676
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    the pike is a bit snug for my taste, however its in there. I sent Fox an email with regard to 3.0 tire fitment on 35 or 50mm rims using their forks and received a reply stating none of them would fit, not even the 40.
    They used to say the same thing about running 650B in their 26er forks. Lotsa people were doing it, but they wouldnt go on record as saying it was OK.
    No moss...

  16. #116
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,528
    RSD bikes is claiming to have a 100mm air fork that's 50mm rim, Knard specific.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

  17. #117
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    RSD bikes is claiming to have a 100mm air fork that's 50mm rim, Knard specific.
    I sent RSD an email as well as a note to the sales rep who posted in the 29er category with nothing back on either front.

    For a new company RSD is difficult to communicate with..

    However the Mutant is one sweet looking ride!

  18. #118
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gouda Cheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    704

    Krampus with Front Suspension!

    Quote Originally Posted by Adubb View Post
    I sent RSD an email as well as a note to the sales rep who posted in the 29er category with nothing back on either front.

    For a new company RSD is difficult to communicate with..

    However the Mutant is one sweet looking ride!
    Agree. They have been 100% mute on any questions related to the forks on their bikes.

  19. #119
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    70
    Hey Guys,
    just as an FYI - We have answered every single question and inquiries received in this regards. We are not ignoring anyone. All of the fork information you requested by emails has been provided in less then 12 hours.
    If for some odd reasons your question/inquiry was never responded to, then please resend it. It simply means we never received it and we will be happy to get back to you in a timely manner.
    Thanks
    RSD Bikes - Sales - www.rsdbikes.com
    We`re slow at updating our site - facebook

  20. #120
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gouda Cheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    704

    Krampus with Front Suspension!

    Can you give us information via this forum on the fork? I know there are many folks that are interested in purchasing a fork that works for the 29+

  21. #121
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    70
    Yes absolutely.
    100 mm travel air fork. 15mm QR. 490mm A to C. Post Mount. It has Compression, Rebound and Lock-out. 45mm Offset, 32mm stanchions. It will come with both straight 1 1/8 steer tube or tapered 1 1/8-1 1/2
    AL6066 crown and drop-out, and AL6061 lowers.
    It fits perfectly with a 50mm rim and 3in tire.
    just recently someone ask us if the fork damping could be more comparable to a Fox or a RS - our answer was this: both Fox and RS continually push the limit of our sports by making better forks year after year, which is why they are on top. This fork isn't quite there yet, but from experience, it does compare to older model Fox forks (2008-2009). I hope that helps.
    Cheers

    ps: for those interested in purchasing one: All you have to do is contact your LBS and order it through them. they will get in touch with us. Price is $499 MSRP
    RSD Bikes - Sales - www.rsdbikes.com
    We`re slow at updating our site - facebook

  22. #122
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gouda Cheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    704

    Krampus with Front Suspension!

    Thanks!

  23. #123
    Handmade in Switzerland
    Reputation: maettu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    160

    Good job! Forks with 29+

    I did some testing with all the 29er suspension forks that I could find.

    Same wheel for every test...

    - Nextie 35mm Carbon rim
    - Surly Knard 29x3" 120tpi
    - Tubeless setup

    Summary:
    - Rockshox forks do not have enough space...
    - Manitou Tower works but very close...
    - Fox 34 has less space than Fox 32 but both work...
    - White Brothers Loop works...


    White Brothers Loop:


    Rockshox Reba XX 100mm with QR:


    Rockshox Pike 15mm:


    Rockshox Revelation RL 15mm:


    Fox 32 Float 15mm:


    Fox 34 Talas 15mm:


    Manitou Tower Pro 15mm:

  24. #124
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,052

    Krampus with Front Suspension!

    Quote Originally Posted by maettu View Post
    I did some testing with all the 29er suspension forks that I could find.

    Same wheel for every test...

    - Nextie 35mm Carbon rim
    - Surly Knard 29x3" 120tpi
    - Tubeless setup

    Summary:
    - Rockshox forks do not have enough space...
    - Manitou Tower works but very close...
    - Fox 34 has less space than Fox 32 but both work...
    - White Brothers Loop works...
    What about crown clearance at full compression?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  25. #125
    Handmade in Switzerland
    Reputation: maettu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    What about crown clearance at full compression?
    I have not checked, but my understanding is that the crown should never come closer to the tire than the lower side of the bridge even at full compression.
    Correct me if I'm wrong...

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •