Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    mtbr member

Krampus with Front Suspension!

Bumping this back up just for fun. What exact Float would I need to run on the Krampus? All of the different options have me confused - still a noobert regarding forks and measurements.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by jimjam View Post
    Don't forget eBay for second hand Fox 34s. A decent pair of the 2013 model I was watching yesterday went for £278! Much cheapness!
    Yes. I saw many many Fox's on EBay for cheap(er) than regular price. Tempting. Just want to make sure I am hunting and purchasing the correct one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Manitou tower pro is on my list.
    only seen one picture, if need be filing it 1-3mm should remedy most.
    currently on a dually 45mm rim, and it's not beefy enough for the tire ~74mm
    the rabbit hole be 50mm , 5mm not worth it. so on the hunt for single wall rim, to hack in half, and extend.
    back to fork, anybody else have a Manitou ? with the 29+

mtbr member

Difference between Fox 34 and 32 seems to be rather significant on eBay right now. Both clear, if I remember correctly... Right?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    From what I can gather from this thread and others and from what I've seen Surly employees using on their krampi, both 32s and 34s work but the 34s offer a bit more clearance.
    I've started saving my pennies for some 34s....

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Desert Itinerants | Blog | Surly Bikes

Here's the surly staffers on their front suspended krampi/krampuses.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jimjam View Post
    both 32s and 34s work but the 34s offer a bit more clearance.
    I've started saving my pennies for some 34s....
    I'm running a '14 Float 32 and the brace needed a little dremel action, only a few mm's. The width is ok, the only thing touching are the furry nubs from the tire being new. Even then, it's only occasionally, not touching all the time.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by RickyB View Post
    I'm running a '14 Float 32 and the brace needed a little dremel action, only a few mm's. The width is ok, the only thing touching are the furry nubs from the tire being new. Even then, it's only occasionally, not touching all the time.
    Furry nubs need to go away anyway.

mtbr member

For whatever reason, the Dremel thing scares me. But the more I think about it, the less scary it is. I should view this as 'sanding' off a few MM vs. cutting pieces off, right?

mtbr member
    I'd still like to see some pics of a Knard on the Manitou Tower fork that Pricepoint sells. Does it fit without mods?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    I'd still like to see some pics of a Knard on the Manitou Tower fork that Pricepoint sells. Does it fit without mods?
    I think there may be some pics a few pages back... but not sure.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by jnl1105 View Post
    Attachment 867383Attachment 867384 I am currently running a lefty max dlr with my 29+. Here are pics. This is my second tire on this setup.

It is not on a krampus but still attainable.
    intriguing.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    I'd still like to see some pics of a Knard on the Manitou Tower fork
    Page 5 of this thread, post #123

mtbr member
    Thanks, I missed it there--it was in the pictures, but not in the summary. Now off to check Pricepoint...

Quote Originally Posted by CJones View Post
    Page 5 of this thread, post #123

mtbr member
    Can you post some pics of the clearance?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    Can you post some pics of the clearance?
    Would also love to see pictures.

Can someone educate me on the Fox 34's - all of the ones I saw on Ebay have the tapered steerer. Would this work on the Krampus? Based off what I've read, again... I'm a noob, our steerer is 1 1/8 straight through with no taper. Also not sure what axle I need - 9mm or 15mm.

mtbr member
    yep would be fine, you just need a 44 external lower headset cup and a 1.5" crown race. clearance over the tyre is a different issue....

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn View Post
    yep would be fine, you just need a 44 external lower headset cup and a 1.5" crown race. clearance over the tyre is a different issue....
    The 34 should clear the Knards based off what I've read. Plan to go DW 29+ one day which should most definitely clear.

I am running the stock build headset on my Krampus - believe that one in the EC44. Sorry for the noob inquiries - attempting to learn.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Pics of '14 Fox Float 32

I apologize in advance for the iPhone rotation issue, you'll get the idea.

If you look at the backside of the fork, you'll see the milled bracing on the brace. Compare the top of the brace to the bottom of the brace and you'll get an idea of how little material was removed with the Dremel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Krampus with Front Suspension!-photo-2.jpg  

Krampus with Front Suspension!-photo-1.jpg  

Krampus with Front Suspension!-photo-3.jpg  

mtbr member

That most definitely helps us, I think. Thanks for sharing. What spec fork are you running again? Fox 32?

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouda Cheez View Post
    ...Can someone educate me on the Fox 34's - all of the ones I saw on Ebay have the tapered steerer. Would this work on the Krampus? Based off what I've read, again... I'm a noob, our steerer is 1 1/8 straight through with no taper. Also not sure what axle I need - 9mm or 15mm.
    I'm riding on the front range and weigh about 240lbs all geared up. I wanted a stiff front end. A 120mm 29'er fork needs all the help it can get, I went with 15mm thru axle and tapered steerer.

For tapered steer I needed a new crown race, the rest of the headset will work just fine. I went with steel 'cause I like cheap and strong over light and expensive:
    Universal Cycles -- Cane Creek Crown Races
    110 & 40 Series Alloy 1.5" Crown Race (52/40)
    110 & 40 Series Steel 1.5" Crown Race (52/40)

For the 15mm axle, I needed a new front hub. I bought a 15mm generator hub and it came with an adapter for 9mm so it'll work with the stock Krampus fork and the 15mm suspension fork.

Krampus with Front Suspension!-sp-15mm-1.jpg

Once I bought the crown race and upgraded the hub to 15mm I was able to have both forks work with a 5min changeover (I bought a BB7 caliper off the 'bay so both forks have a dedicated caliper).

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    That most definitely helps us, I think. Thanks for sharing. What spec fork are you running again? Fox 32?
    It's a 2014 Float 32, 120mm travel. Really nice fork, makes the Krampus feel like my 26" bike felt with a 150mm Revelation. You don't have brake dive issues like you might with a 150mm fork running at 25% sag. I run the Float at about 20%, since I can tune out some small bump absorption with air pressure in the tires. I run the air pressure down in the low teens. My rule of thumb, if I get a rim strike, add a little more air. I prefer traction over rolling resistance, and the Knards roll pretty well regardless.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Let us know how the front hub works. I have been looking at doing the schmidt 15 front hub if I break the axle on my shimano dynamo.

SyT
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    So is the tire hitting the crown at full compression a non-issue? Has anyone let the air out to check?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    When I ran a fox float 32 I just ran it alittle stiffer. I did get down tube and crown rub a few times. Mostly on stuff I should not have been riding the krampus on anyways. O

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    FYI
    i tried to fit my knard dually combo into a 2013 fox float 32 100mm tapered with 15mm thru and it was a no go. there was no clearance. the arch compressed the tire at 15psi and i had to force the axle through the hub. it did fit into a 2011 float 32 100mm with straight steerer and 9mm axle with about 2mm clearance between the arch and tire. my wheel is a stans 330 front hub with velocity dually rim and knard 29x3. we also tried with a rabbit and same results. the dually has better side clearance do to the narrower rim.

i too would like to see better clearance pics of the tower arch.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I was running blunt 35 on x9 hub. Knard at 11-12psi. The fork was 32 straight steer with 9mm axle at 100mm.

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by TSOXBHK View Post
    Let us know how the front hub works. I have been looking at doing the schmidt 15 front hub if I break the axle on my shimano dynamo.
    At 1/2 the price and no clear performance advantage between the SP and the Schmidt (most articles claim the new SP is better), I took the chance on the SP. I replaced an Alfine front because I want to night ride and can't imagine doing it with a rigid fork around here.

Quote Originally Posted by SyT View Post
    So is the tire hitting the crown at full compression a non-issue? Has anyone let the air out to check?
    Redstone set up my Trace and they checked, it was hitting. They set the fork up so it won't compress all the way.

mtbr member

Seems like the easiest solution is to just wait for Dirt Wizards so a fork will clear nicely...

Or get a new bike.

mtbr member

The more I think of the DW the more I wonder if we will run into the same problem as the Knard since they are similar overall in diameter...

squish, squish in da fish
    2011 tower pro 20x120, pro2 evo & dually with 15 psi is def not good

Harmonius Wrench
    Seems like the easiest solution is to just wait for Dirt Wizards so a fork will clear nicely...

Or get a new bike.
    Surly confirmed to me that the Dirt Wizard 700c sized tires will actually be coming out as a 3" wide tire, just like the 700cX3 Knard. So, same size for both.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    Surly confirmed to me that the Dirt Wizard 700c sized tires will actually be coming out as a 3" wide tire, just like the 700cX3 Knard. So, same size for both.
    When was that? When I called two weeks ago it was that they were absolutely smaller than the Knard.

Surly? Bueller?
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    That ain't good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Well the Rock Shox Recon definitely won't fit, mucking around with some spare 29er parts and thought I'd fit the normal 29er wheelset to the Krampus. Thought I'd squeeze the Krampus wheelset on the 29er fork for a laugh.

squish, squish in da fish
    so is it safe to say that the widest rim for a suss fork and knard would be 35mm, if you don't use a 29+ fork from lets say RSD?

mtbr member
    I'm in the process of having Rabbit Hole/Knard wheels built for my Salsa Mukluk as a summer wheelset. In this context, front suspension would also be interesting. The Manitou Tower Pro 29 2013 has been mentioned earlier in this thread as a possible fork, so I ordered one when ChainReactionCycles sold them out with a good rebate.

The package came, I took the fork to my LBS and we tried the Rabbit Hole/Knard combination on it. The sidewalls of the tires stuck hard against the inner of the arch. There might have been enough space at the top of the bridge. I have no pictures of this, but trust me, it wasn't even close to clearing the fork.

At home I mounted the Knard on a Bontrager Rhythm Comp front wheel, which should be 28 mm wide. I tried it again, but with no success this time either. The tire was now taller and narrower. The tire sidewalls cleared the inner of the arch with enough margin to be usable with a stiff wheelset, but this time the knobs on the top of the tire didn't clear the arch. In practice, the wheel wouldn't turn at all.

The exact fork was the Manitou Tower Pro 2013 100 mm QR.
    Last edited by Outsider; 03-13-2014 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Spelling error
    My bike blog: www.yetirides.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    outsider, thanks for posting !
    should be getting my fork soon.
    plan-B, to use the little stubbies, and a hand file, to add little clearance , 3-5mm should work. afterwards clip those stubbies / fuzz of the tires, and switch x-firm spring.
    then go ride, as soon as the ice is gone. right now, we have another blizzard.
    can you measure the tire width ? my knard 27tpi on a dually 45mm rim, measured 74mm at 15psi with a tube. guessing I'll only need to clear the top arch.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Outsider - what tire pressure were you using? My experience is that the volume of a Knard grows significantly above ~12 psi. I've got a Knard on a Velocity P35 that clears the arch of my Tower Pro (120mm, 9mm QR) at 11-12 psi just fine.

mtbr member
    The pressure was too high, almost 3 bar, since the Bontrager rim needs a lot of pressure for the tire the get seated correctly. On the other hand, the Knard was totally fresh and I thought this would simulate the tire stretching a little. The Knard is the 120tpi version, which might or might not be of significance.

The width on the Bontrager rim with 2.7 bar is as follows:
    Casing width 69,9 mm
    Knob-to-knob width 74,7 mm

The Velocity P35 could be the best rim width for this fork, since it should clear the arch on the top, but what about the sidewalls?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
    The Velocity P35 could be the best rim width for this fork, since it should clear the arch on the top, but what about the sidewalls?
    Strictly from a performance standpoint, I think you shooting yourself in the foot running the Knard on a 35mm rim just to make it fit in that particular fork. The shape of the tire needs the wide 50mm rim, and I'm guessing all the new tires coming out this year will also benefit from a 50mm rim.

My advice would be to send the fork back and look for a deal on a Fox 32 or 34. Both of those will work, plenty of pics around showing that. You might need to file down the crown, but the stanchions aren't going to be an issue.

mtbr member
    Guys, you are right about the pressure. I made a new try, with lower pressure. With a pressure of 1 bar, about 15 psi, it actually fits the fork. The top of the tire is a little close, less than 2 mm, but this could actually be possible after all, since 15 psi is a higher pressure than I would actually use.

The measurents this time were:
    Casing 66,2 mm
    Knobs 71,4 mm

I'll have to see if I can borrow a 35 mm rim wheelset to see if that one fits.

Maybe this is a good enough solution until the Rockshox fatbike fork arrives sometimes at the end of the year. (The upside-down fork of many names left my LBS rather unimpressed when he got one).

mtbr member
    Strictly from a performance standpoint, I think you shooting yourself in the foot running the Knard on a 35mm rim just to make it fit in that particular fork. The shape of the tire needs the wide 50mm rim, and I'm guessing all the new tires coming out this year will also benefit from a 50mm rim.
    Yes, but plenty of guys have run the Knards with Stans Flow rims, which are about the same size, so I think it is quite doable. And on the fatbike side, I've been very satisfied with running 4" tires on 47 mm trials rims during the summer. In fact, it has been a better option than the normal 80 mm rims in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    What about using a Purgatory 2.4 or a minion 2.5 on a 35 or 50 mm rim. Would seem a good way to go to fit the forks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    update on the manitou tower fork. put in the wheel, but had to get the wheel trued first.
    started with a hand file, but used a dremel, to grind it down. on the sides, and top arch.
    not finished yet. still have snow on the ground. this is a 80mm fork, so the stack height should be usable, not to tall, so handling should not change much. this be on a pug ops, aka krampug. the krampus frame, you'd pick a 100-120mm fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    So whats the word on that new RS1 fork and fitting 29+? That all black for on a new krampus ops would be dialed.

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
    Yes, but plenty of guys have run the Knards with Stans Flow rims, which are about the same size, so I think it is quite doable. And on the fatbike side, I've been very satisfied with running 4" tires on 47 mm trials rims during the summer. In fact, it has been a better option than the normal 80 mm rims in my opinion.
    The P35 are fine for the knards from a performance standpoint as numerous folks use them with good results.

Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    What about using a Purgatory 2.4 or a minion 2.5 on a 35 or 50 mm rim. Would seem a good way to go to fit the forks.
    yup this combo or better yet the new dirt wizard 2.75 (when released) on P35 or the 45mm dually.

turtles make me hot
    I know no one asked, but I called Rockshox the other day and asked if they had any plans to make a 29+ fork, especially a Pike. The guy I spoke to said nothing was even in the works.
    Kinda crushed my dream for the 29+ fully superbike I wanted to build.
    I like turtles

mtbr member

Yeah I am pretty sure I give up. I'm building a hardtail now and plan to convert my Krampus to be a ripping singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Well this may be useless for you fancy pants riders but I have a karate monkey that I put a knard/RH front on and eventually found a very cheap suntour XCM 100mm fork at an REI garage sale and the knard fits fine, I have ridden it a lot. The fork almost completely sucks on it's own but barreling down things I used to have to pick my way around makes up for the weight and sub par performance. Huge grins always while getting knardy.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast