Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by craigcraigcraig View Post
    Well this may be useless for you fancy pants riders but I have a karate monkey that I put a knard/RH front on and eventually found a very cheap suntour XCM 100mm fork at an REI garage sale and the knard fits fine, I have ridden it a lot. The fork almost completely sucks on it's own but barreling down things I used to have to pick my way around makes up for the weight and sub par performance. Huge grins always while getting knardy.
    Seriously? I have one of those in my basement. May have to try this.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    give it a whirl!

mtbr member
    I'm curious if the new RS-1 will fit. I was riding with a guy last fall that was testing one. He was pretty hush hush about the fork at the time since it was early. He was pretty sure a 29+ tire wouldn't fit but it looked like it would be close. That is the next one someone needs to try.
    The LPG

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I've noticed a number of the successfully fitted forks seem to be using 15mm or 20mm axles rather than the stock QR axle.

Do you get a little more clearance with the geometry with how those forks are designed, or have people just used them as they are more common nowadays?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    With big tires like that you'll want the extra rigidity that the thru axle gives you. Occasionally I'll hear the hair on my Knards rub the side of my Fox 32, and that's a 15mm front hub. I wouldn't recommend a 9mm QR.

mtbr member

I've been meaning to modify my RS REBA RLT for a while now, but kept getting side tracked.

We've been riding a ton. Then we built the rack above.

Then a new frame came along that required building and tweaking.

Finally today after a solid morning ride and a nap I had the late afternoon free to tackle the project...

The Knard on RH jams up nicely in the stock fork. Won't turn.

So I hit it with the dremel and sipped some beer while creating the clearance I need.

Took about 1 beer's worth of gentle grinding to get the clearance I was after and the tire turning freely.

Looks gnarly, but there is lots of material left and this mod has been done many times with zero reported failures so I think it's pretty safe.

There is clearance now for all the conditions I ride it. We don't get really sticky clay type mud in my part of BC and that's the only situation I think this fork would be a problem with.

Lots of side wall clearance. Before mod sidewall would rub fork.

All in all a pretty minor quick mod that lets me use a "normal" 29er fork with my Krampus and not have to go Lefty and/or run some weird front hub.

I'm going to setup my Knard/RH wheels split tube tubeless next and see how the wheel fits before I mask off the Reba and paint it. The tubeless tire might change size and need a slight tweak to fit well.

BTW - the fork will go on my Krampus. I just left it on that 29er to make it easier to work on until I was ready for an install on the Big K. The puny rear tire is a Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4" on a Stan's Flow rim.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Just wanted to share my experience of mounting a Fox 34 with the Krampus. I went with the Fox 34 because it seems most say this forks gives the most clearance with the Knard tire on the rabbit hole rims. All the parts came in yesterday to make the switch so around 8:30 last night I started unlacing the front wheel and laced it back up with a Hope Pro 2 hub. Installed the 44mm to 1.5 headset bottom cup and bearings to fit with the Fox 34 tapered tube. Got the fox fork on and was so excited to mount the wheel and test it out. Big problem though...there was not enough clearance and the tire was hitting the bridge pretty hard. Thought crap...now I'm going to have to buy a dremel and remove some material. Then got to thinking why don't I have clearance when I see pics of other setups like mine with plenty of clearance??? Then remembered through all the years of my son's BMX racing how I found many times bike tires varied in size...even with the same tire & manufacturer. Well, I just bought some barely used Knards off Ebay in the 120 TPI and thought perhaps I should take off the 27 TPI and try the 120 TPI that just arrived that day (was going to save them for when the 27 TPIs wore out). Well in amazement, the 120 TPI had plenty of clearance over that 27 TPI!!! Couldn't believe the difference. No need to dremel the fork now! Quick ride in the yard and on the road felt great (got a feeling I might prefer this over my Honzo now for fast downhill descents). Can't wait to try it out on some trails & downhills ...it was about 1:30 in the morning when I got it finished and my wife came out trying to find me when I was test riding it...she couldn't believe I was up that late trying to get this setup to work. Anyhow, thought I would share the difference in tire sizes in case someone else runs into the same problem.

mtbr member
    I can't be sure about this, but I think older tires get bigger at the same pressure. Seems like that is happening to mine, but I don't have enough samples to say anything more conclusive.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Anyone here tried the Bluto as yet ?

mtbr member
    2013 Fox float 29 (stock on trance x0) fits with lots of room to spare.
    Just need to figure out the headset chaos to get the overdrive into the krampus and a non overdrive headset into the trance.

mtbr member

2013 float 29 ctd pic.

Pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Krampus with Front Suspension!-20140609_210117.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    Anyone here tried the Bluto as yet ?
    Saw this on the facebooks this morning, not a krampus, but you get the idea.

Krampus with Front Suspension!-10434319_909551652404484_493015314689062321_n.jpg
    Krampus with Front Suspension!-10414912_909545035738479_3358604626826331081_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Seeing this makes me really think that a Bluto might be in my future to turn my Quiring into a 29-1/2. Now to see if Scott thinks there might be any downtube clearance issues. The nice thing is that the 100mm Bluto has the same A-C as the eba I currently have on the Q.
    2011 Quiring 29er Steel Hardtail
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    This afternoon I took it upon myself to see if I could get the Knard/Dually combo to fit into my X-Fusion Slide 29er fork.

Here's what it looked like before:
    Krampus with Front Suspension!-20140615_122023.jpg
    After some time with a hand file (couldn't find the bits to my dremel)
    Krampus with Front Suspension!-20140615_130053.jpg
    Can't see it perfectly, but there's plenty of room after taking 3-4mm off each side. Luckily there was enough room on the top arch, so that was left untouched.
    Krampus with Front Suspension!-20140615_131803.jpg
    I didn't have the correct crown race for the inset7 headset on this fork, so I put it back on the Seven instead of the Krampus.
    Krampus with Front Suspension!-img_20140615_142247.jpg

We had quite a bit of rain here yesterday and today, so all the trails are closed, but I took it for a 6 mile ride throughout the city and hit every curb/log/pothole I could and it performed perfectly. I'm a bit worried about the fork bottoming out on some big hits, I haven't taken the air out yet to see if it bottoms out and the tire rubs or not.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Well I stumbled across a Fox Float 29 that happened to fit perfectly with no trimming.

Might be a little too close though if my knards weren't a little worn...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Lefty 29+ (Krampus inspired)

Here is my Ti 29+ with 90mm Carbon Lefty. This requires a 3mm offset on the wheel build.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Krampus with Front Suspension!-tikrampus6.jpg  

Krampus with Front Suspension!-tikrampus4.jpg  

squish, squish in da fish
    awesome build! even if it does have half a fork...

what's the HA?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    awesome build! even if it does have half a fork...

what's the HA?
    Thanks! (It's my first Lefty & I'm impressed with it.)

70.5 degrees head angle.

WNC Native
    Has anyone tried a Marz Micro TI?

EDIT- It can be ran as 29+ with minor trimming. I have pics of a used Knard on a Flow that clears well, with a 45-50mm rim it will probably take just a little trimming.
    Last edited by nitrousjunky; 07-21-2014 at 03:48 AM.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    Resubscribed. Back on a Krampus and lookin for a fork. Lots of good info here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lancelot View Post
    I'm curious if the new RS-1 will fit. I was riding with a guy last fall that was testing one. He was pretty hush hush about the fork at the time since it was early. He was pretty sure a 29+ tire wouldn't fit but it looked like it would be close. That is the next one someone needs to try.
    It certainly fits

Just put a Bluto on my Yampa, running 29+, it's dam fun

Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    how about a marzocchi 320? any luck? super cheap right now, looks like a big fat arch.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
    how about a marzocchi 320? any luck? super cheap right now, looks like a big fat arch.
    I have a 320 Corsa SL... it's tight with a 2.35 Nobby Nic...would doubt it would work...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    thank you! There's one photo floating around of a 320 with a 2.4 ardent and he says it's tight, but it's hard to visualize via the intertubes.

mtbr member

Krampus with Front Suspension!

I'm running a Lefty with Rabbit Holes & knards, and it just fits. What do you think about Stan's new Hugo 52. Will it fit on the Lefty without rubbing?

AOK
    mtbr member

Has anyone tried the RSD 100mm fork discussed earlier? Are they even available?

AOK
    mtbr member

Also interested if anyone has tried a Bluto on a Krampus. Just wondering if the crown clears the Krampus down tube.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    Also interested if anyone has tried a Bluto on a Krampus. Just wondering if the crown clears the Krampus down tube.
    From what I've seen the knobs will hit on a SM or MD, think large is okay but can't confirm, XL is definitely good.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

AOK
    mtbr member

I saw in another thread a reference to an "upcoming Fox 29+ fork". Anyone have any information or a link on this?

Also does anyone know if RS has any plans for a 100mm hub based 29+ fork? Or is the Bluto all we get for now?

mtbr member
    I saw in another thread a reference to an "upcoming Fox 29+ fork". Anyone have any information or a link on this?
    A friend in the bike industry told me about it. I also want to say I read something online about it, but the link escapes me. I'm expecting to see it at Interbike shortly.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

A friend just got a Pike for his FS bike and asked if I was interested in his Fox Float 130mm fork.

I figured I'd throw the front wheel from my Krampus into it and see what it looked like. There is lots of clearance all around - more than it looks like in these photos, but it's hard to get my smartphone in close enough for a good shot.

I don't ride sticky mud so I don't need huge gaps around my tires.

Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

AOK
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    From what I've seen the knobs will hit on a SM or MD, think large is okay but can't confirm, XL is definitely good.
    In another thread someone measured the Bluto crown width at 8 5/8".

Based on this, I did some rough measurements on my large Krampus frame. I think the Bluto *might* have clearance on a large Krampus, but it would be very close.

WNC Native
    In another thread someone measured the Bluto crown width at 8 5/8".

Based on this, I did some rough measurements on my large Krampus frame. I think the Bluto *might* have clearance on a large Krampus, but it would be very close.
    Maybe someone with access to both will let us know soon. I'm modding a RS fork for a temp squishy solution right now for mine. Also curious to see if that Fox 29+ fork is shown here shortly at Interbike.

mtbr member
    I've been using the Bluto for few month already, good clearence all around the tire.
    Nice and simple fork.
    Also got the new Vee Rubber Trax Fatty 29+, riding them maybe two weeks now, slightly smaller volume then the Knards but better (for me) and more aggressive thread, they look to have slightly thicker casing which is a good thing, not enough riding on it to form much of an opinion but from the little I've done I feel a little better taking these on some aggressive and bad surface trails.

AOK
    mtbr member

I've been using the Bluto for few month already, good clearence all around
    If you turn the bars 90 degrees does the Bluto crown clear the Krampus down tube? What size Krampus frame do you have?

mtbr member
    I have a custom frame, have no idea how that clear the DT on the Krampus.
    Sorry Mate.

AOK
    mtbr member

I have a custom frame, have no idea how that clear the DT on the Krampus.
    Sorry Mate.
    No prob - just assumed you had a Krampus.

meh... whatever

Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

A friend just got a Pike for his FS bike and asked if I was interested in his Fox Float 130mm fork.

I figured I'd throw the front wheel from my Krampus into it and see what it looked like. There is lots of clearance all around - more than it looks like in these photos, but it's hard to get my smartphone in close enough for a good shot.

I don't ride sticky mud so I don't need huge gaps around my tires.

you're right, it looks close. enough clearance for sidewall bulging from compression?
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

i wouldn't ride that it looks like death, especially if it were a new tire. from the pic it looks like maybe 2mm on the sidewall, no?

mtbr member
    There is more clearance than it seems in those photos. It's really hard to portray it the way the eye sees it.

I'm not against taking a dremel tool to the fork is I feel it's needed.

BTW - that tire is on season #2 so it's not getting any bigger.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

thx

mtbr member
    X-post from fatbikes

Got the Fox Float 34 - 130mm fork installed on my Krampus. Looks nice and slack now.

I need to get the fork setup, but I'm on the injured list so I'm not in a huge hurry.

Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Nice! How does it ride at 130? I'm about to pick up a 34 140 and will lower it. I'm planning on 120...but 130 sounds sweet

Eating Hot Pockets
    I have mine at 140mm. Feels like my Honzo only fatter

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post
    Nice! How does it ride at 130? I'm about to pick up a 34 140 and will lower it. I'm planning on 120...but 130 sounds sweet
    I've just been tooling around on it. No dirt. I am seeing an orthopaedic surgeon on Monday who will decide the fate of the rest of my 2014 MTB riding. Didn't feel choppered out and I haven't set my sag properly so the front will ride lower.

My motivation for the change was descending steep loose mountain trails more confidently so I was going for slack.

I would have put a 140mm fork on,but a friend had this 130mm Float he didn't need and the price was right.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks. 140!! Any pics? Might have to try it out like, at least for giggles, before lowering it. Stoked to ride it with some front squish.

mtbr member
    Thanks. 140!! Any pics? Might have to try it out like, at least for giggles, before lowering it. Stoked to ride it with some front squish.
    Remember that with a 140mm fork the sagged length will 35mm less [25% sag] than the uncompressed length when comparing it to the stock 483mm long Krampus fork. So it's not as slack as it looks when the bike is unloaded.

The 2013 Float 34 29er at 140mm is 553mm - 35mm sag = 518mm - 483 stock fork length = 35mm longer.

Stock the HTA = 69.5 deg so even with a 140mm fork you are still at a HTA that's pretty normal for a burly hardtail.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks - good info. My only concern at 140 would be perhaps adding stress to frame that it wasn't designed for (and a 140 fork encourages more aggressive riding). Maybe I'm just being a nervous nelly.

mtbr member
    Thanks - good info. My only concern at 140 would be perhaps adding stress to frame that it wasn't designed for (and a 140 fork encourages more aggressive riding). Maybe I'm just being a nervous nelly.
    Going to a fork 20mm longer than the Surly recommends wouldn't bother me unless you are an uber heavy aggressive rider that regularly pushes your bikes to the limits and breaks stuff.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

AOK
    mtbr member

Not exactly in depth coverage, but I don't see any mention of 29+ compatibility. (Full disclosure, I didn't watch the vid, just read the overview. )

http://reviews.mtbr.com/fox-interbike-2014

WNC Native
    Nope, doesn't look like we're getting any 29+ news.

mtbr member
    That's disappointing.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

AOK
    mtbr member

Mikesee - have you tried your MRP Stage with 29+? Especially interested in what clearance looks like with a tire mounted on Derby rims.

WNC Native

mtbr member
    So a buddy had a White Brothers Magic fork so I tossed on the front wheel to see if it was even close - nope not happening Guess i'll have to look for something else as the 'easy route' isn't going to work.

Sorry in advance if this fork was brought up earlier - I looked through the thread and didn't see any mention of it.

Ed

Krampus with Front Suspension!-krampus-suspension-fork-magic.jpg

AOK
    mtbr member
    So today was "play around with suspension forks on the Krampus" day. I have been shuffling the fleet around lately, and I had set aside both a X-Fusion Trace and a RS Pike from other bikes that I sold recently.

Keep in mind that I am running 35mm Derby rims with Knards. I imagine that those of you running 50mm rims will have tighter clearance than what I am describing below.

The Trace arch has a good bit of clearance on the sides, but rubs on the top of the Knard. There is a ton of material in the arch, so I think taking a dremel to the Trace arch would be an easy fix. The bigger issue for me was that the Trace crown interferes with the tire at full compression (all air out of fork). My Trace is set at 120mm fwiw. I imagine that anyone using a Trace would want to put a spacer of some sort into the fork to limit travel and prevent the crown interference.

My Pike had similar arch clearance as the Trace. Room on the sides, but rubs on the top of the tire (basically on the two center knobs). Clearance was not as good on the sides - I would guess 3-5mm space vs. more like 7-8mm for the Trace. The good news for the Pike was at full compression I had about 6-7mm of arch to tire clearance. No travel limiter required.

Pics of the unmodified Pike:

Krampus with Front Suspension!-img_3327.jpg

Krampus with Front Suspension!-img_3329.jpg

(Note that in the compressed pic there it looks like there is a little more than 6-7mm of clearance. I was compressing the fork with one hand and taking pics with the other, so I didn't get it quite all the way down for the photo. My number of 6-7mm comes with the fork compressed to the point that only the red o-ring is showing on the stanchions.)

Both are great forks, but I have always liked the Pike a little better. So out came the dremel for some Pike arch surgery.

Krampus with Front Suspension!-img_3350.jpg

Krampus with Front Suspension!-img_3349.jpg

Added a little flat black paint to finish things off...

Krampus with Front Suspension!-img_3355.jpg

And the final result...

Krampus with Front Suspension!-img_3359.jpg

Krampus with Front Suspension!-img_3363.jpg

I plan to try the Pike at 140mm for now, although I can easily see myself deciding to drop it down to 120mm at some point. Having said that the Pike at 140mm didn't feel as slack as I thought it would during a few quick laps around the back yard. Hopefully I will get in a real ride in the next few days to try out the new setup.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Nice set up. I just put a 140 Fox on mine. Plan was to lower to 120 like you, but after a few rides I'm keeping it at 140. It still rides and steers very well, and the 140 is a blast.

Eating Hot Pockets
    Nice set up. I just put a 140 Fox on mine. Plan was to lower to 120 like you, but after a few rides I'm keeping it at 140. It still rides and steers very well, and the 140 is a blast.
    +1.
    I'm loving the 140 Fox 34. Feels great.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I completely agree with the 140mm setting for the Krampus, I've been running it that way all season as my main bike. Most of the time I run in the Trail setting on the Fox.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Krampus with Front Suspension!-image.jpg  

AOK
    mtbr member

You guys called it - the Pike @ 140mm felt really good. I was worried it would slack things out too much but it seemed pretty much perfect. Didn't seem to slow down handling at all.

I will give it some time, but right now I can't imagine I will bother to drop travel down to 120.

mtbr member
    I have recently been thinking about changing up my rigid 29+ bike for another frame with a suspension fork. I want cushion from the tire at the back, but the front doesn't necessarily need to be a 3" tire with a suspension fork. Simple solution...What about running a Minion DHF in 2.5 on a wide rim up front paired with a 3.0 in the back?

Bubba
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba13 View Post
    ...What about running a Minion DHF in 2.5 on a wide rim up front paired with a 3.0 in the back?

Bubba
    I've done similar with good results. Gives a good amount of squish on both ends, quick steering, and that low pressure traction on the rear. All depends on the trail.

mtbr member
    Confirmed Magura forks do not have nearly enough clearance.

AOK
    mtbr member

Anyone who wants a F34 for their Krampus might want to check out JensonUSA. They have a 2014 150mm model for 1/2 price at $550. You can also get 10% cash back if you go through Active Junky.

I swapped to the Nextie Jungle Fox 50mm rims on my Krampus and now my modified Pike won't fit (Spam - the pike is for sale in the classifieds).

So I am going to try the F34. Wanted to try a MRP stage but decided to go with the lower price option.

Also FWIW, the bike shops I contacted about the Stage told me that it is on sale from MRP this month.

AOK
    mtbr member

Also - anyone know how to lower travel on the 2014 F34? Is it just removing spacers?

May just leave it at 150 - just slightly nervous about adding even more a-c height than the pike I was using.

74 & 29 pilot
    Also - anyone know how to lower travel on the 2014 F34? Is it just removing spacers?

May just leave it at 150 - just slightly nervous about adding even more a-c height than the pike I was using.
    The F34 will work fine with the JF rims...I bought a used one and it was fine, but I shaved some out anyway. Why don't you just buy a 140mm 34 instead of 150? I have a 2014 F34 140 that I put the new bumper(shim) in to limit it to 130mm; Still same A2C. From my understanding, you can change the travel of the '14 Talas models, but the float would require new internals. My F34 is on my Pivot 429c that I'm selling, I'm thinking of putting the 32 back on it to sell, so I might have a '14 34 140mm to sell; It has about 150-175 miles on it.

Good luck!
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

AOK
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    Why don't you just buy a 140mm 34 instead of 150?
    Because the 150 is cheap / on sale and the 140 isn't.

Not super stressed about adding 10 mm a-c. Just would like the option to drop it down if I find that is what I prefer.

AOK
    mtbr member

Anyone who wants a F34 for their Krampus might want to check out JensonUSA. They have a 2014 150mm model for 1/2 price at $550.
    Nope. Didn't fit. The arch rubs at the top of the tire, crown bottoms on the tire at full compression, and there is only a few mm of sidewall clearance. So the F34 is headed back to Jenson and I am back to thinking about a MRP Stage.

I could probably pull out the dremel and make it work. But I am in no mood to dremel a brand new fork that I bought specifically to fit with the larger rims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bluto?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    AOK - strange. Are you running rabbit holes? Are the Knards 120 tpi? I run a 34 and have a comfortable clearance - fair bit more than your pictures.

mtbr member
    Check the tire pressure. Knards will get a lot bigger as pressure increases. Make sure you are checking for clearance at trail pressure.

I hit my Fox 34 with a dremel under the arch to get some extra clearance.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

AOK
    mtbr member

Vikb - yeah I though of that. Pics were taken with tires at 12 psi which is what I have been running in the past.

Chunky - pics are with my new Nextie jungle fox 50mm rims.

mtbr member
    Vikb - yeah I though of that. Pics were taken with tires at 12 psi which is what I have been running in the past.
    +1 - just thought it was worth mentioning.

The Bluto is the only fork I know of that will take a 29+ tire with no mods and provide decent clearance. Everything else is a compromise in one way or another.

To be fair needing 150mm hubs, 32mm stanchions and uber wide arch for a skinny 3" tire are also compromises.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just bought an MRP Stage fork for my Krampus Ops, and I'm happy with the clearance on the fork while using Jungle Fox rims. No Dremel work, but it still clears as much as some of the mod pictures I've seen on this forum. MRP makes a really nice fork so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Krampus with Front Suspension!-image.jpg  

AOK
    mtbr member

Good to hear. I should have my Stage soon.

I had a Loop several years ago and it had the most tire clearance by far of any fork I have used.. So I really think the MRP products are about as close as we will get to a true 29+ fork for now.

I will report back when I have my Stage.

Edit: benitosbro - what travel are you running on the stage?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I ordered mine with 120mm of travel. That way, I can pull the spacers out if I want more travel down the road. I'm really impressed at the build quality of this fork and how stiff it feels- I'm a big rider, and with a big wheel I feel no flex. I've also had no issues with the QR design.

AOK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by benitosbro View Post
    Just bought an MRP Stage fork for my Krampus Ops, and I'm happy with the clearance on the fork while using Jungle Fox rims. No Dremel work, but it still clears as much as some of the mod pictures I've seen on this forum. MRP makes a really nice fork so far.
    I finally got my MRP Stage on the Krampus. As benitosbro states, there is plenty of clearance with my Knard / Jungle Fox (50mm) setup - anywhere from 3-5mm at various points on the arch. Crown at full compression clears the tire by a mile, so no worries there.

First ride today (sorry no pics - it was too cold!). The Stage was very stiff and rode as good or better than the Pike I have been on for the past season or two.

If anyone is interested there is another thread discussing the Stage and 29+.
    MRP Stage fork 29+ ??

mtbr member
    Digging this thread back up as I am looking for some Lefty info. It was mentioned a couple of times with different Lefty's and setups. So I am a total Left noob, besides knowing there are older ones with clamps hat can be removed, and newer carbon ones with fixed clamps. For fatbikes, the older ones are required with the addition of a set of Project 321 clamps, correct?

I am thinking about getting a lefty to work on my Gnarvester, currently running rigid with Jungle Fox rims and Knard tire. What Lefty should I be looking for? Can I just get any Lefty and offset the rim a few mm for extra clearance? Any info would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    Digging this thread back up as I am looking for some Lefty info. It was mentioned a couple of times with different Lefty's and setups. So I am a total Left noob, besides knowing there are older ones with clamps hat can be removed, and newer carbon ones with fixed clamps. For fatbikes, the older ones are required with the addition of a set of Project 321 clamps, correct?

I am thinking about getting a lefty to work on my Gnarvester, currently running rigid with Jungle Fox rims and Knard tire. What Lefty should I be looking for? Can I just get any Lefty and offset the rim a few mm for extra clearance? Any info would be appreciated!
    I'd ask the Lefty-expert ----> Cannondale, Professional and Trusted Lefty and Head Shock Service Performed by Craig Smith
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    So knowing there are older ones with clamps hat can be removed, and newer carbon ones with fixed clamps, for fatbikes, the older ones are required with the addition of a set of Project 321 clamps, correct?

Can I just get any Lefty and offset the rim a few mm for extra clearance? Any info would be appreciated!
    Older ones do have clamps that slide off, yes.

To run fat, you'd need my clamps. To run 29+, you'd need Project 321's. Both clamps allow for free rotational adjustment, which allows for re-centering a wheel that is built out of dish, for adequate clearance from the fork leg. Bonded or integrated clamp style won't allow that.

Bolt a dished Rabbit Hole/Knard combo onto a fork with bonded/integrated clamps, and you'll have about 2 hairs clearance. Dish it over for clearance, and it's off center on the bike, and will ride funny.

At that point, two choices. Run a Stans Flow width rim and deal with modest clearance, or find a moveable clamp fork, use P321 clamps, dish the wheel over for good clearance, and center the wheel with the clamps.

Which fork? First is determining what your a2c requirements are.

From there, the fork of choice for flexibility is a 2005+ Max 140. You can put a modern damper kit in it, and choose several a2c and travel set ups at that point. Stock a2c on that fork is 520mm.

That should get you started......
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

29+ 50mm wide rim formula 35

Formula 35 29er fork with 50mm wide carbon rim and a bontrager chupacabra 29x3"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Krampus with Front Suspension!-29-front.jpg  

Krampus with Front Suspension!-20150131_162540.jpg  

mnt bike laws of physics
    I used a bonded Lefty and dished the wheel over about a 4mm and I can't tell at all. It rides great! Super fun bike!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Would the Maverick SC32 fork be a contender for a 29+ ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    The DUC 32 can work, need to limit the travel a little more than what the 29er kit does, but you should get 4" of travel. It's a LOT more rigid than the SC32. The DUC is still an all time favorite in my book.

mtbr member
    The RSD fork looks to have the most clearance, are they available in the wild?
    On the same topic, since all of the Surly pics show Fox equipped Krampuses, would it follow that Fox might come out with a true 29+ fork?

AOK
    mtbr member

Pretty sure RSD has said they are not offering that fork. I thought that info was in this thread, but I could be mistaken.

There were some rumors last year about Fox 29+ but they have yet to come to pass.

I think the best 29+ clearance out of the box right now is with the MRP forks (stage and loop).

Fox 34 seems to be a close second for some, although mine wasn't close to fitting without some dremel work.
    Last edited by AOK; 02-12-2015 at 12:02 PM.

mtbr member
    I've heard from a very reliable source that Manitou is releasing a 29+ fork.
    The LPG

^glad to hear that. let's hope it don't take years for it to materialize. i absolutely love abs+

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyB View Post
    The DUC 32 can work.
    Thanks RickyB for Duc 32 information.

Fox F29 & Stans Flow with 2.4 On One Chunky Monkey
    Krampus with Front Suspension!-2015-02-03-15.59.28.jpg

Fox F29 & Rabbit Hole with 3.0 Vee Rubber Trax Fatty
    Krampus with Front Suspension!-2015-02-03-16.04.32.jpg

I've had arm surgery and think its best to stop riding rigid MTB so thought Id try the above for size. There just is not enough clearance for the varying trail conditions I ride.

News on the RSD would be good. Otherwise from what I can see from previous posts on the forum is the Canondale Lefty seems to be the best option. Thing is I have zero knowledge of 'Leftys' and would need to keep cost down by sourcing used part as much as possible.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve5S View Post
    News on the RSD would be good. Otherwise from what I can see from previous posts on the forum is the Canondale Lefty seems to be the best option. Thing is I have zero knowledge of 'Leftys' and would need to keep cost down by sourcing used part as much as possible.
    Did you miss the mention of the mrp stage? Probably the best option, particularly if you're on a budget and have 'zero knowledge of leftys'.

mtbr member
    Am I missing something? A quick google search shows the MRP stage running $850+... hardly a budget friendly option.

Quote Originally Posted by GT87 View Post
    Did you miss the mention of the mrp stage? Probably the best option, particularly if you're on a budget and have 'zero knowledge of leftys'.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    Am I missing something? A quick google search shows the MRP stage running $850+... hardly a budget friendly option.
    Universal Cycles has them in stock for between $750 - $800. Use the UC 15% discount code, and brings them down to about $650. Still not a budget option, but not too far off from you would spend on a lefty, conversion kit, hub, and front wheel rebuild.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    Universal Cycles has them in stock for between $750 - $800. Use the UC 15% discount code, and brings them down to about $650. Still not a budget option, but not too far off from you would spend on a lefty, conversion kit, hub, and front wheel rebuild.
    This. Leftys are not cheap either, all said and done, especially when you consider resale value of the wheel and fork, and the fact that a used lefty will likely be less durable and subject to higher maintenance costs. In the long run, you'll probably end up spending less for a better performing fork with the stage.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GT87 View Post
    This. Leftys are not cheap either, all said and done, especially when you consider resale value of the wheel and fork, and the fact that a used lefty will likely be less durable and subject to higher maintenance costs. In the long run, you'll probably end up spending less for a better performing fork with the stage.
    I just realized I ****ed up I was looking at the Loop, not the Stage. The Stage is not available at the moment, and it's $890 before the 15% discount. The 15% will bring it back to $750. Still not cheap, but not terrible.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    I just realized I ****ed up I was looking at the Loop, not the Stage. The Stage is not available at the moment, and it's $890 before the 15% discount. The 15% will bring it back to $750. Still not cheap, but not terrible.
    You're right, still far from cheap. But this is still a super niche segment, it's not going to be cheap. Expecting a lefty to be any cheaper in the long run is foolish. Really, if you want the cheap setup then pick up a used f29.

AOK
    mtbr member

Contact Chad at Red Barn or Bikerbob if you are shopping for a Stage.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Would be keen to see some photographs of the MRP Stage shown with a Rabbit Hole/Knard for visual reference. As AOK stated earlier, there is 3mm-5mm clearance with his setup. This does not seem like much clearance to me for real world all conditions trails. A MRP Stage in the UK costs circa $1150

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    What F29 should we look for running HUGO with Chronicles? Does it matter if it is a 32 or 34 etc?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve5S View Post
    Thanks RickyB for Duc 32 information.

Fox F29 & Stans Flow with 2.4 On One Chunky Monkey
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-02-03 15.59.28.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	964541

Fox F29 & Rabbit Hole with 3.0 Vee Rubber Trax Fatty
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-02-03 16.04.32.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	964542.
    any fox 32 with this arch has the most clearance. The 34 has less. Any 32 that has the newer arch with the dip in the middle wont clear. Ideally the 15mm version has a little more clearance than the 9mm qr and from year to year the clearance varies as well. Its really a crapshoot with the hugo and chronicle combo being the widest combo out. I had no issues with a chonicle/nextie while a buddy had rubbing on the hugo at the bulge by the seals.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    FYI the above are F29, 32mm with 9mm QR

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast