Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Facetious?

There's very little difference.
    I'm not joking Mike. Maybe its just the pic you posted but it looks like you have huge clearance compared to other Fox/Knard fits I've seen.
    The LPG

mtbr member
    Couple pics of a White Bothers Loop. Rabbit Hole rim of course.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Krampus with Front Suspension!-image.jpg  

Krampus with Front Suspension!-image.jpg  

The LPG

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post

muchas gracias fleanutz. are you able to tune the natural bounce aspect out of the knard with fork adjustments?
    Err, I guess so. Never really noticed. Just put enough air in it so the tire wouldn't hit the crown and rode it. I ride around 18psi in my 27tpi Knards for context.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fleanutz View Post
    Err, I guess so. Never really noticed. Just put enough air in it so the tire wouldn't hit the crown and rode it. I ride around 18psi in my 27tpi Knards for context.
    Since fat bikers are accustomed to the natural 'bounce' behavior of fat tires on rigid frames the ride becomes a matter of PSI tuning much more so than your typical 2.3 tire so the 3.0 knard will also have this behavior to some degree but with a tuneable squishy fork one should be able to for all intense and purposes remove the bounce nature.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    This is a 2013 Fox 32. Knard is on a Blunt 35 at ~20psi. Plenty.
    Mike have you taken physical measurements of this setup?? ie 95mm, 97mm etc??

mtbr member

Krampus with Front Suspension!

So do you need more rebound to dial out the tyre bounce?

simenf - brainwashed by the big wheel mafia.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by simenf View Post
    So do you need more rebound to dial out the tyre bounce?

i suspect that would be the proper move but i was wrong once before.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    The Surly Blog clearly shows pictures of the Krampus with a Fox fork. I'd really like to see pictures of how much clearance there is. The blog indicates that they were on the way to Interbike, so somebody must have seen something. Anyone out there know anything about this? If you can run a Fox fork with the Knard tire and Rabbit Hole rim, that changes everything.
    What is this good for?
    Surly gives us a bike which is perfect for riding rigid and first thing some people ask is how to mount a boring suspension fork.
    yaaaaaaaawn...

Go home and learn to ride rigid or die.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    I'll just inject this Lefty info to the mix and wander off...

Modern Lefty with standard clamp spacing? Not so great clearance with the leg, with the RH/K, but works well with a Stans Flow.

Older, non integrated or bonded clamp Lefty, with a set of Fat Clamps and the RH/K? No dice, too much offset.

Same fork with a set of Project 321 normal offset clamps and the RH/K, perfect!

Been running that on mine and loving it.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DerBergschreck View Post
    What is this good for?
    Surly gives us a bike which is perfect for riding rigid and first thing some people ask is how to mount a boring suspension fork.
    yaaaaaaaawn...

The Surly guys themselves were doing it, so it can't be as blasphemous as you think it is. Besides, nobody is forcing you to buy a Krampus and put a suspension fork on it. I just hope that if you are such a badass that you also ride fixed gear off road with no brakes, because brakes and freewheels are "boring". And by the way, I am at home and I can ride rigid quite well, so I guess I don't have to die...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DerBergschreck View Post
    What is this good for?
    yaaaaaaaawn...

given we the public have choices at our disposal is a beeeeuuuuuuuutiful thing. Perhaps you believe it's perfect as is but others don't for their purposes.
    Last edited by nvphatty; 07-26-2013 at 06:16 AM.

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by fleanutz View Post
    Just beware...

Take all the air out of the fork and watch the crown hit the tire.

Just my attempt at a PSA, be mindful of the catastrophic possibilities.

That being said, I'll still ride it. Just with a touch more air pressure than normal. At least until I feel confident enough that I won't lose my teeth. Another guy around here actually bottomed the crown out on the tire while riding; lots of noise but no immediate stop or damage.

My $0.02.
    I was using a Float 32 (26") on my 650B bike. Like your picture above, if you bottomed the fork it would hit the crown. I put a couple of the bigger zip ties around each stanchion to keep it from bottoming and never had a problem in nearly two years riding. Alternatively you could open up the fork & put something inside to limit travel 10mm or so.
    No moss...

Elitest thrill junkie
    I see these tires barely clearing the top of the arches. Do you guys know what happens when you hit your wheel hard against something? The bottom of the tire/tube compresses, and the top expands. This is something the fork manufacturers were very aware of and would always recommend against, because this is a show-stopper. You do this on a drop or hard hit and it's instant stopping of the front wheel. I wouldn't play around with most of these setups. Best would be to take a shorter travel version of a fork so it will have enough bushing overlap, and install some couplers to the bottom footnuts to extend the fork slightly. I've done this a few times now with marzocchi forks, although I'm sure it could be done to just about any.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member

Krampus with Front Suspension!

That's why I like the lefty setup.

mtbr member
    So the loop will fit no problems with rabbitholes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by x3speed View Post
    So the loop will fit no problems with rabbitholes?
    It fits but barely. I know White Brothers does not recommend it. If I used one I would just machine the arch out a little for more clearance.
    The LPG

mtbr member
    It sounds pretty solid that RS will be releasing a suspension for for fatbikes this fall. That will have clearance for fat tires and wide rims so it should work with a RH/Knard. Hub width will probably we 135mm, but if they see a market in the 29+ area maybe they'll offer something for a standard width front hub?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Yeah, im just impatient

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Hub width will probably we 135mm, but if they see a market in the 29+ area maybe they'll offer something for a standard width front hub?
    A 135mm front 29+ wheel wouldn't be a bad option though, unless you'e already got a front wheel laced up to a 100mm hub. From what I understand, the 135mm front makes a nice stiff 29er wheel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstews View Post
    A 135mm front 29+ wheel wouldn't be a bad option though, unless you'e already got a front wheel laced up to a 100mm hub. From what I understand, the 135mm front makes a nice stiff 29er wheel.
    I've already got 2 at 100mm, but at this point that's not a deal breaker if I really want suspension on the Krampus.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I just bought a krampus, dt carbon fork. Waiting to see if a fat fork comes out at saddle drive or something else this fall

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Knard 29+ with lefty

Krampus with Front Suspension!-sawyer-knard-lefty-clearence.jpgKrampus with Front Suspension!-sawyer-knard-lefty-front-side.jpgI am running a lefty with a knard 29+

mtbr member
    anyone else?

mtbr member
    What rim on that lefty?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Bontrager rangers of my trek marlin

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast