Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 359
  1. #101
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post


    Fit with some room to spare in both the WB Loop and the Manitou Tower.
    To follow up with Mike's post, I broke down and ordered a Tower Pro since Pricepoint has been practically giving the things away for the last few weeks. I installed it Tuesday night and finally got it out on the trail today. I'm running a 120tpi Knard on a P35 rim at about 12 psi, the fork is the 120mm model with the 9mm QR.

    You have to squeeze the tire through the pinch-point on the stanchions/arch but once you get it through I am very pleased to report that the tire clears the arch/stanchions easily. I was a little nervous about ordering the 9mm QR instead of a thru-axle, thinking I'd get a lot of tire rub on the stanbchions in hard cornering but if there was any rubbing on today's ride I certainly didn't hear or notice it it.

    The bike doesn't look as good with the squishy fork and I found it noticeably harder to manual/wheelie over obstacles. On the other hand, now that I've got the squishy fork on there I can just bowl right over most obstacles.

    I was surprised at how much faster the bike was with the squishy fork, I was easily 1/2 - 1 mph faster, even in a light drizzle that made riding over off-camber roots sketchy. And the bike is now much, much easier on the hands, wrist, elbows, and shoulders.

    I liked my Krampus before, now I love it.

  2. #102
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8,938
    Quote Originally Posted by jnroyal View Post
    with the squishy fork I found it noticeably harder to manual/wheelie over obstacles.
    Odd. Should be easier if anything.

    Check your rebound damping, and maybe speed it up a few clicks. Just until you can hear a very faint "braaaaaaaaaaaaaaap!" in the distance.

    That should do it.

  3. #103
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    435
    Thanks for the tip, Mike, I'll give it a try. I'm fairly new to this whole suspension thing.

  4. #104
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gouda Cheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    714
    Can't wait for a legit fork to be released. I am trying to be patient but it's not working well...

  5. #105
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gouda Cheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    714
    Quote Originally Posted by jnroyal View Post
    To follow up with Mike's post, I broke down and ordered a Tower Pro since Pricepoint has been practically giving the things away for the last few weeks. I installed it Tuesday night and finally got it out on the trail today. I'm running a 120tpi Knard on a P35 rim at about 12 psi, the fork is the 120mm model with the 9mm QR.

    You have to squeeze the tire through the pinch-point on the stanchions/arch but once you get it through I am very pleased to report that the tire clears the arch/stanchions easily. I was a little nervous about ordering the 9mm QR instead of a thru-axle, thinking I'd get a lot of tire rub on the stanbchions in hard cornering but if there was any rubbing on today's ride I certainly didn't hear or notice it it.

    The bike doesn't look as good with the squishy fork and I found it noticeably harder to manual/wheelie over obstacles. On the other hand, now that I've got the squishy fork on there I can just bowl right over most obstacles.

    I was surprised at how much faster the bike was with the squishy fork, I was easily 1/2 - 1 mph faster, even in a light drizzle that made riding over off-camber roots sketchy. And the bike is now much, much easier on the hands, wrist, elbows, and shoulders.

    I liked my Krampus before, now I love it.
    Which one did you purchase? Saw there were several different options...

  6. #106
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8,938
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouda Cheez View Post
    Can't wait for a legit fork to be released. I am trying to be patient but it's not working well...
    Life's pretty rough, eh?

  7. #107
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gouda Cheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    714

    Krampus with Front Suspension!

    You know it. Man it sucks riding this bike as is.

  8. #108
    gone walk about
    Reputation: nvphatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    7,983
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouda Cheez View Post
    Can't wait for a legit fork to be released. I am trying to be patient but it's not working well...
    keep with the patience as they will come. Sandman is testing their new fork so hang on.

  9. #109
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    127

    Krampus with Front Suspension!

    I suppose if one were brave enough, one could commission their own rigid fork and have the fabricator incorporate a proshock. Apparently they've been around ya http://www.actiontec.us/proshock.htm


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #110
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    164
    Krampus with Front Suspension!-surly-krampus.jpg

    I'll start by saying I didn't personally take the Dremel out, the shop I bought the bike from did that. But it doesn't look like they took a lot off the brace, and I've never had a rubbing issue.

    With that said, running the 2014 Fox 32 Float 120mm makes this bike an all-mountain machine. It feels like the same amount of travel as my old 26" FS with a 150 Revelation, except the angle of attack with the 29+ wheel makes getting up and over objects WAY easier. I'm much more confident on this bike than I was on the 26" FS, and I just sold a Scott Spark 29er (100mm front and rear) with no intentions of replacing it. The Krampus just destroys the Spark in all categories, except for weight.

    I'm not racing, so I don't care, I measure my rides with SPH (smiles per hour) instead of MPH.

  11. #111
    mtbr member
    Reputation: x3speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    322
    I am surprised they dremeled it for you. We live in a very litigious society. But, i have to say. I love the green gold combination

  12. #112
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lancelot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    992
    Nice bike RickyB! Looks Siccccckkkkk.
    The LPG

  13. #113
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    20
    Any updates on a design specific shock from RS or Fox?

  14. #114
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gouda Cheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    714

    Krampus with Front Suspension!

    None that I know of.

  15. #115
    The White Jeff W
    Reputation: jeffw-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,199
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    the pike is a bit snug for my taste, however its in there. I sent Fox an email with regard to 3.0 tire fitment on 35 or 50mm rims using their forks and received a reply stating none of them would fit, not even the 40.
    They used to say the same thing about running 650B in their 26er forks. Lotsa people were doing it, but they wouldnt go on record as saying it was OK.
    No moss...

  16. #116
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,210
    RSD bikes is claiming to have a 100mm air fork that's 50mm rim, Knard specific.

  17. #117
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    RSD bikes is claiming to have a 100mm air fork that's 50mm rim, Knard specific.
    I sent RSD an email as well as a note to the sales rep who posted in the 29er category with nothing back on either front.

    For a new company RSD is difficult to communicate with..

    However the Mutant is one sweet looking ride!

  18. #118
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gouda Cheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    714

    Krampus with Front Suspension!

    Quote Originally Posted by Adubb View Post
    I sent RSD an email as well as a note to the sales rep who posted in the 29er category with nothing back on either front.

    For a new company RSD is difficult to communicate with..

    However the Mutant is one sweet looking ride!
    Agree. They have been 100% mute on any questions related to the forks on their bikes.

  19. #119
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    87
    Hey Guys,
    just as an FYI - We have answered every single question and inquiries received in this regards. We are not ignoring anyone. All of the fork information you requested by emails has been provided in less then 12 hours.
    If for some odd reasons your question/inquiry was never responded to, then please resend it. It simply means we never received it and we will be happy to get back to you in a timely manner.
    Thanks
    RSD Bikes - Sales - www.rsdbikes.com
    We`re slow at updating our site - facebook

  20. #120
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gouda Cheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    714

    Krampus with Front Suspension!

    Can you give us information via this forum on the fork? I know there are many folks that are interested in purchasing a fork that works for the 29+

  21. #121
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    87
    Yes absolutely.
    100 mm travel air fork. 15mm QR. 490mm A to C. Post Mount. It has Compression, Rebound and Lock-out. 45mm Offset, 32mm stanchions. It will come with both straight 1 1/8 steer tube or tapered 1 1/8-1 1/2
    AL6066 crown and drop-out, and AL6061 lowers.
    It fits perfectly with a 50mm rim and 3in tire.
    just recently someone ask us if the fork damping could be more comparable to a Fox or a RS - our answer was this: both Fox and RS continually push the limit of our sports by making better forks year after year, which is why they are on top. This fork isn't quite there yet, but from experience, it does compare to older model Fox forks (2008-2009). I hope that helps.
    Cheers

    ps: for those interested in purchasing one: All you have to do is contact your LBS and order it through them. they will get in touch with us. Price is $499 MSRP
    RSD Bikes - Sales - www.rsdbikes.com
    We`re slow at updating our site - facebook

  22. #122
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gouda Cheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    714

    Krampus with Front Suspension!

    Thanks!

  23. #123
    Handmade in Switzerland
    Reputation: maettu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    216

    Good job! Forks with 29+

    I did some testing with all the 29er suspension forks that I could find.

    Same wheel for every test...

    - Nextie 35mm Carbon rim
    - Surly Knard 29x3" 120tpi
    - Tubeless setup

    Summary:
    - Rockshox forks do not have enough space...
    - Manitou Tower works but very close...
    - Fox 34 has less space than Fox 32 but both work...
    - White Brothers Loop works...


    White Brothers Loop:


    Rockshox Reba XX 100mm with QR:


    Rockshox Pike 15mm:


    Rockshox Revelation RL 15mm:


    Fox 32 Float 15mm:


    Fox 34 Talas 15mm:


    Manitou Tower Pro 15mm:

  24. #124
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307

    Krampus with Front Suspension!

    Quote Originally Posted by maettu View Post
    I did some testing with all the 29er suspension forks that I could find.

    Same wheel for every test...

    - Nextie 35mm Carbon rim
    - Surly Knard 29x3" 120tpi
    - Tubeless setup

    Summary:
    - Rockshox forks do not have enough space...
    - Manitou Tower works but very close...
    - Fox 34 has less space than Fox 32 but both work...
    - White Brothers Loop works...
    What about crown clearance at full compression?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  25. #125
    Handmade in Switzerland
    Reputation: maettu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    What about crown clearance at full compression?
    I have not checked, but my understanding is that the crown should never come closer to the tire than the lower side of the bridge even at full compression.
    Correct me if I'm wrong...

  26. #126
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307

    Krampus with Front Suspension!

    Quote Originally Posted by maettu View Post
    I have not checked, but my understanding is that the crown should never come closer to the tire than the lower side of the bridge even at full compression.
    Correct me if I'm wrong...
    You are wrong. I have buzzed many big tires on the crown of various forks.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  27. #127
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    45
    Thank you so much Maettu! Very comprehensive and useful. If only you also had a Trace :-(

  28. #128
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    What about crown clearance at full compression?
    Since the crown moves with the axle, if it's clear as pictured, you're clear under full compression. I'd be more curious about air pressure, and how the tire deforms across its width. It can get pretty close to the fork legs if you run the pressure down around 10psi, which is where I ride them in the snow. On my Float 32, riding low pressure, I'll get the little hairs buzzing the side bulge on my fork legs, but no worries on the crown (which has been shaved down about an .125").

    maettu - do you have access to calipers to measure the width of the Knard on the 35mm rims? Curious how different that is to a 50mm Rabbit Hole since most Krampus owners will be running those wheels. Great pictures, and thanks for taking the time to post that info.

  29. #129
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,611
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyB View Post
    Since the crown moves with the axle,
    There are two possible issues for clearance of the tire the crown of the fork [up near the bottom of the headtube] and the brace that connects each side of the lowers.

    The crown of the fork does not move with the axle of the wheel the brace does. So you might have clearance at the brace [which will stay constant], but under full compression the crown of the fork could hit your tire.

    When you take all the air out of the fork to check clearance between the tire and the crown remember to push down hard once your at the bottom to see if there is some additional bottom out resistance/travel that needs to be considered.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  30. #130
    gone walk about
    Reputation: nvphatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    7,983
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyB View Post
    maettu - do you have access to calipers to measure the width of the Knard on the 35mm rims? Curious how different that is to a 50mm Rabbit Hole since most Krampus owners will be running those wheels. Great pictures, and thanks for taking the time to post that info.
    here's a surly blog link that may be of some help.
    Your Rabbit Hole Looks Knardy | Blog | Surly Bikes

  31. #131
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    The crown of the fork does not move with the axle of the wheel the brace does. So you might have clearance at the brace [which will stay constant], but under full compression the crown of the fork could hit your tire.
    Vikb is absolutely correct, I typed before thinking...

    I'll need to double check that clearance on my '14 Float 32, but I've come home with the o-ring pinned to the top of the stanchion, and never felt it rub up top, so I'm guessing I've got clearance. As he said, that's a good one to check before riding.

  32. #132
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    here's a surly blog link that may be of some help.
    Your Rabbit Hole Looks Knardy | Blog | Surly Bikes
    That's the info I was looking for, thanks. Only 1mm narrower on a 35mm rim, compared to the 50mm RH. Oddly, Surly says the tire is taller on the wider rim. You'd think with the RH being wider, the tire would be less round, and shorter than the 35mm rim, or am I missing something in basic physics?

    Either way, the 35mm carbon rims are a nice way to shave a pound and not really affect the shape of the tire.

  33. #133
    gone walk about
    Reputation: nvphatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    7,983
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyB View Post
    That's the info I was looking for, thanks.
    i help when possible and truth be told it's not often.

  34. #134
    Handmade in Switzerland
    Reputation: maettu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyB View Post
    maettu - do you have access to calipers to measure the width of the Knard on the 35mm rims? Curious how different that is to a 50mm Rabbit Hole since most Krampus owners will be running those wheels. Great pictures, and thanks for taking the time to post that info.
    Knard 120tpi on Nextie 35mm Carbon rim:
    Exactly 71mm/75mm (casing/tread)

  35. #135
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouda Cheez View Post
    Which one did you purchase? Saw there were several different options...
    Sorry for the belated reply, I bought the 120mm, 1.125" steerer, 9mm QR.

  36. #136
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gouda Cheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    714

    Krampus with Front Suspension!

    The Fox 32 and White Brothers forks look to fit just fine and dandy.

  37. #137
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lancelot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    992
    When we were trial fitting the Knard on Rabbit Holes we found that the Fox 34 had more clearance than the 32. Maybe since the tire widens out a little when on a 50?
    The LPG

  38. #138
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gouda Cheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    714

    Krampus with Front Suspension!

    Quote Originally Posted by lancelot View Post
    When we were trial fitting the Knard on Rabbit Holes we found that the Fox 34 had more clearance than the 32. Maybe since the tire widens out a little when on a 50?
    How was it at full compression?

  39. #139
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lancelot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    992
    It clears no problem. I think there is a pic a few pages back.
    The LPG

  40. #140
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jhtopilko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    226
    Sure is. Was with a 3D frame.

    Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
    2014 Norco range 7.1. Avalanche F34 RP23 with push Factory tune by suspensionwerx.

  41. #141
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gouda Cheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    714

    Krampus with Front Suspension!

    It's a shame the 34 is expensive as fawk.

  42. #142
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lancelot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    992
    Yes it is but worth it.
    The LPG

  43. #143
    Frt Range, CO
    Reputation: pursuiter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,570
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddiecycle View Post
    ...If only you also had a Trace :-(
    Needs a little work with the die grinder, plenty of material:
    Krampus with Front Suspension!-trace-pre-clear.jpg

    Here's the bike with a Trace at 120mm:
    Krampus with Front Suspension!-kramp-w-trace-1.jpg

  44. #144
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    45
    Sweet, thatnks for the pics! Is the back of the fork bridge hollowed out?

  45. #145
    Frt Range, CO
    Reputation: pursuiter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,570
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddiecycle View Post
    Sweet, thatnks for the pics! Is the back of the fork bridge hollowed out?
    Yes, it's hollowed out with the diagonal bracing similar to my Rockshox Reba, here's my best attempt at a photo:

    Krampus with Front Suspension!-trace-pre-clear-2.jpg

  46. #146
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    363
    maybe we could start a Krampus fork database listing

    lets measure forks and post here
    - Fork Name Model
    - Axle type , qr15, 9mm, 10mm, 20mm
    - Axle to Crown (pugs ~450, Salsa 468mm)
    - Axle to Crown with Sag
    - Axle to Arch
    - Crown Pitch (from leg to leg)
    - between lower leg clearance
    - weight
    - price

    ----
    stock forks that work
    carver inverted fork for $895 at ~4.5lbs
    Risse trixxy dual crown $895 ~6.5lbs for heavy riders
    RSTbikes not enough info ~$500

    have not seen info on RST , suntour forks

    maybe next time we hang out at a bike shop, bring a tape, and measure,
    be cool have some options.

  47. #147
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    270
    Krampus with Front Suspension!-image.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]867384 I am currently running a lefty max dlr with my 29+. Here are pics. This is my second tire on this setup.

    It is not on a krampus but still attainable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Krampus with Front Suspension!-image.jpg  


  48. #148
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    363
    thanks for the lefty post.
    my buddy wants to use his 26" lefty for his pugs.
    he said it's like a 6" travel, so he has to reduce the travel and get the lefty adapter.
    the lefty is not really an option for the Krampus , since it's $1400 new, plus you need a lefty hub.

  49. #149
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    270
    I picked up mine used for $200 for a 110 travel unit and the hub for $20

  50. #150
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3
    Don't forget eBay for second hand Fox 34s. A decent pair of the 2013 model I was watching yesterday went for £278! Much cheapness!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •