mtbr member
    May 2015

Kona Splice vs. Kona Splice Deluxe - Worth it?

Hey guys!

Purchasing my first entry bike and I'm having a difficult time differentiating between the components on both models Kona offers. My local dealer told me the Deluxe may brake a little easier, be more responsive and light, and there feel like a quicker while riding it. I didn't get the chance to ride the bike but tried some other frames in similar height etc.

I commute to work everyday about 10 miles roundtrip, and ride semi-aggresively on an old road bike. The bike I'm on now is really, heavy.

I'm not so concerned that this is or isn't the bike for me, but wondering if the deluxe model is a better investment? Is it? Can I justify the cost for someone being new to riding regularly anyway?

I plan to put a trunk bag & rack on the back to carry clothes and other items, so I'm factoring in that additional weight as potentially impacting the overall heaviness of the bike.

I've attached two screenshots below of the components listing in comparison from both models. The left column is Kona's base model & the right is the Deluxe.

Any input is appreciated! Thanks guys.

Kona Splice vs. Kona Splice Deluxe - Worth it?-screen-shot-2015-05-17-11.54.34-am.jpgKona Splice vs. Kona Splice Deluxe - Worth it?-screen-shot-2015-05-17-11.54.48-am.jpg

Short-Change-Hero
    Not a huge real difference between the two other than a few upgraded components here and there.. Those are not really mtb persey, but more of a gravel road/bike path bikes. If you are looking for something that is only really going to be a commuter bike and only 10-30% of the time see any sort of dirt other than hardpacked path then you are fine. If you are looking for something that will be a bridge to get you into mtbing, meaning you will start to explore more technical trails on it then I would look at one of their hardtails like the Lava Dome or Mahuna.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Not a huge real difference between the two other than a few upgraded components here and there.. Those are not really mtb persey, but more of a gravel road/bike path bikes. If you are looking for something that is only really going to be a commuter bike and only 10-30% of the time see any sort of dirt other than hardpacked path then you are fine. If you are looking for something that will be a bridge to get you into mtbing, meaning you will start to explore more technical trails on it then I would look at one of their hardtails like the Lava Dome or Mahuna.
    Thanks for your reply. I'm in the panhandle Florida so more or less it's relatively flat. There's some trails located nearby but I will probably ride on the surfaces you mentioned semi-regularly... the occasional stretch of grass, gravel path, and some sand. My commute isn't extreme other than dodging a car here and there- maybe down a curb or through a ditch to another section of pavement, like taking a shortcut.

Do you think the upgraded components would be noticeable while riding?