mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Kona Mahuna or DB Overdrive comp

Im new to the Mt bike world and this forum. I bought a mongoose xr 250 this summer to see if I would stick with it. This bike is holding up well for what it is. I decided to start peddling to get in better shape for XC quad racing and turns out I really enjoy mt biking almost as much as atving(almost ) anyway, Im looking for a better bike now and the 29ers are very appealing to me. Ive narrowed it down to these 2 bikes, just looking for some input or advice as to which bike would be better for a big clumsy guy like myself (6'2" and 275) They seem to have alot of simular componets. Thanks for any response.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I think you mean the Kona Kahuna :-)

But anyway, I have a Kahuna and I love it. I'm also 6'2" and a bit heavier than you and it holds up fine. While I don't go jumping, I still get up to speed on the rough stuff and it doesn't miss a beat.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I had a quick look at the 2011 specs for both and I'd recommend the Kona.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    [QUOTE=R+P+K]I think you mean the Kona Kahuna :-)

Kona is making a 29er Mahuna for 2011

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by R+P+K

But anyway, I have a Kahuna and I love it. I'm also 6'2" and a bit heavier than you and it holds up fine. While I don't go jumping, I still get up to speed on the rough stuff and it doesn't miss a beat.
    I seen the 2011 bikes and the one I looked at was the Mahuna. maybe a typo on the website IDK> anyway, what fork does yours have and does it seem to work well? Im alittle worried about my weight being to much for it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    [QUOTE=jackattack]
    Quote Originally Posted by R+P+K

Kona is making a 29er Mahuna for 2011
    Yes you're right, they are making a Mahuna.

Didn't know that OP, sorry.

29-26 Who Cares Just Ride
    I ride a DB Overdrive for my 29er fix and have love every minute that I put on it. Over the last few years I have upgraded components, 8 speed to 9 speed, X4 to X7, and Dart 3 to Reba, as well as new wheels/hubs/tires. But in it's stock form it took me from a novice rider to an advanced intermediate rider. I started out as a heavier rider (275) and never had a problem with the bike.

As far as the Kona, it looks like a great bike as well but I have never ridden one. If you can take both for a quick spin to see which one seems to fit you and your riding style before you buy.
    - '09 DiamondBack Overdrive 29er
    - '10 DiamondBack Sortie Black

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I just wish the local lbs had a nice single track behind their shop

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    one of the bike shops in my area just got a 2011 overdrive pro in stock wich is a step above the comp. man i say if youre budget allows i would save alittle more and get the pro. you'll get a recon fork wich is worth the xtra coin alone plus the new orange is just killer. diamondback frames are pretty darn good frames and they are worth upgrading. i would love to see anew kona but there are no kona dealers in my state but they to look super nice the kahuna at 1050.00 is a good bike best bet if ya can is to ride both.

Ovaries on the Outside
    My friend has an Overdrive and I really like it and he loves it. We swapped the bars, stem and brake levers immediately. The brake levers make a difference because the stock ones suck- they never seem to have the right amount of pull. We swapped the saddle too, but that wasn't necessary. I really like the x4 drivetrain- 8 speed is reliable and a great bang for the buck. We've only had to adjust once. The seatpost blows and we're swapping that out. It does way a bit, but if you buy the bike, don't upgrade for a while. Get your money out of the parts and then move on...