mtbr member
    May 2007

Kona Hei Hei supreme/deluxe, any riders?

Looking at purchasing this bike but wanted to see if anyone has one and can tell me about it?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm looking at the Kona, the Trek fuel line and trek superfly 100 AL. I wanted a 29er but the Trek fuel line up looks really good. Also the Salsa spearfish, can't make up my mind on any of the bikes

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The Hei Hei is a xc race oriented bike. Efficient,Kona solid. If you are looking for a short travel xc bike, it is a good choice.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Any reason why Kona's are not as popular on the Trails? I mostly do single track XC riding and it gets pretty rough but then again I live on Long Island so Idk how rough it really gets compared to other areas. And how would it compare to the Trek superfly 100 AL?

And last question is Scandium that good ? and how is Kona and there warranty? I know Trek is suppose to be very good.

THANKS FOR THE REPLY! Greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I ride a Deluxe in Upstate NY and love the bike. I beat on it hard and it has handled everything I have thrown at it. I would recommend it for trail riding!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I bought the 2012 Deluxe about two months ago and I have been riding it almost daily since I bought it. I took a long time debating the purchase because the geometry was very different from what I had been riding. I have always loved Kona bikes and have owned MANY. This is my first Kona 29er though and the geometry numbers, on paper had me worried. I decided to give it a try though and I am very happy with the bike. It is a very solid bike and Kona has a reputation of building durable bikes. It weighed 28lbs completely stock in the 20" frame size which I think is very reasonable. I made a couple changes with a flat handlebar and a smaller "big" chainring from 39 to 37. The wheels are holding up very well and I have not had to true them at all. Overall it is a great bike and very comfortable. I ride mostly rocky singletrack in the high desert of Oregon, but I think it would be equally at home on east coast trails. The one thing I hated was the color scheme. The white fork and rocker link just looked out of place to me, as did the white seat. I painted the fork and rocker link black, swapped in a black seat and now it looks awesome, in my humble opinion. I am very happy with the bike and will be putting many, many more miles on it. And, not that it matters, but I would not ride a Trek if you gave it to me for free. Buy the Kona.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I live in upstate NY and built a 23" deluxe this winter. I love it, definitely a XC bike tho, climbs like an escalator.

Craig

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Kona makes great bikes. I have owned many bikes and I think it is a bonus not to have one of the more popular brands that you see all of the time. The bottom line is that all of the reputable brands make decent rides. You need to determine what style of riding you like to do and pick a model that fits the bill. I liked my Hei Hei, but I wanted something with more travel. I sold my Hei Hei to a friend and bought a Satori. Now we are both happy.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Awesome it sounds like the Hei Hei is more XC but still capable of a little trail riding, seems to be what I am looking for! I greatly appreciate everyones input and it looks like the Hei Hei will be my next purchase. Just gotta price out some builds now.

Once again thank you! and hope everyone has a good and safe 4th!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The bike is solid and can take trail riding with no problem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    This bike is great for trail riding!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have a Kona Hei-Hei-SE with a few upgrades like ShimanoXTR crankset, casette and Rockshox Reba RLT. Now it weight 26 pounds flat.

Since this is my first 29er i had some concerns about it before i bought it, but as soon i hit the trails with it, it was love on first sight.

Climbs like a rocket, so smooth on the trails and fast as a race car.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I'm on my second Hei Hei 29er full suspension. The first one was a 2009 Deluxe and the new one is a 2012 Supreme. I loved my 2009, but the 2012 is worlds better. In three years, Kona really went to work and improved every aspect of the bike. It was always a good handling bike that rode well and typical of Kona, very durable. But the move to a tapered head tube, thru-axles on both ends, asymetric stays, shorter rocker links, and a longer stroke shock made the bike much better. It's stiff, climbs well,handles great, and comes in a bunch of size options. The best thing is it's still a Kona. Tough, reliable, and problem free. In all the years of owning Kona full suspensions (26" and 29er) I've never had to replace a pivot bearing or deal with creaking coming from the suspension. My wife has a 10 year old ManoMano that she will absolutely not let me get rid of to get her a new bike. Kona suspension designs aren't the most cutting edge, but they are incredibly refined and dialed in and you know that they will still be working well years down the line.
    [SIZE=2]I like to start out slow and then back it off a notch.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Been on a few more rides now, and I am even more impressed with the bike. I think it may have bested my previous benchmark bike (Niner Jet9). It climbs AWESOME, and descends even better. I am saving my pennies for a Big Unit singlespeed(2013) now. I love Kona bikes.